Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ramadan Challenge, Ramadan in the Sixth World
DV8
post Jan 16 2004, 10:28 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 116

Not quite as an elaborate question as the title might suggest, but does anyone have the capability - or patience, to figure out when Ramadan is in 2058, 2059, 2060? I've been trying to find a way to do it with a perpetual calendar, but I've come up siltch.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DV8
post Jan 16 2004, 10:37 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Never mind. Found something already.

+Quote Post
DV8
post Jan 16 2004, 10:44 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

For those who are interested but lazy:

First day of Ramadhaan:

March 7th 2057
Febuary 24th 2058
Febuary 14th 2059
Febuary 4th 2060
January 23rd 2061
January 12th 2062
January 1st 2063
December 21st 2063
December 10th 2064
Novermber 29th 2065

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jan 16 2004, 05:36 PM
Post #4

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

Much appreciated.

~J

+Quote Post
Grey
post Jan 16 2004, 05:39 PM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 100

What is Ramadhaan anyways? I've pretty sure its a Jewish holiday, but I don't know what its about or anything.

+Quote Post
DV8
post Jan 16 2004, 06:03 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

From Bulldrek, where the same topic was discussed:

QUOTE ("DV8")
QUOTE ("MooCow")
It's a Muslim holy time, lasting approximately one month.  Fasting begins at sunrise and lasts until sunset.  No food or water may be ingested, nor sexual intercourse engaged in.  Some references I've found even state that women may not give birth or begin menstruation during this time.  Doing so would be considered missing the day, and require them to make it up.

Yes, for the most part, Moo is correct. Ramadan or Ramadhaan is the most holy of months in which Muslims commemorate the writing of the Qu'ran - which took the same length of time as the Ramadhaan - and cleanse themselves of their sins by fasting. It's one of the five primary pillars of the Islamic faith. From sun up to sun down you are not allowed to eat or drink, nor are you allowed to have sex. And those who are sick, old, menstruating or otherwise unable to perform this task during that time are excused, provided they make up for it at a time where they are capable.

Since the Islamic calendar is a lunar calendar, with a new month starting at the appearance of the new moon, the first day of Ramadhaan changes from year to year, sometimes falling twice in one year because a lunar cycle is shorter than one year.

+Quote Post
moosegod
post Jan 16 2004, 07:37 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 5,818

Muslim friends of mine actually call it a bit of a party, since everyone blows off the religious steam at night with feasting and parties.

However, they are American Muslims of the upper middle class, so that may not be what you are shooting for.

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Jan 16 2004, 08:24 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,123

How does one keep from menstruating for an entire month? I don't think that's a reasonable request.

+Quote Post
DV8
post Jan 16 2004, 10:58 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

It's not, which is why that doesn't happen. I think you didn't actually read all of my post. People who will put themselves in danger by participating don't have to, provided they make it up if and when they are able to.

+Quote Post
Mongoose
post Jan 17 2004, 04:59 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 227

Almost a quarter the staff in my department is muslim, mostly Africans. Some take Ramadan more seriously than others. Most do abstain from food and liquids during sunlight hours, but here in Minnesotta that's usually like 7-8 hours tops, given the time of year. Some are a bit more ascetic than others; one guy also would not take a break from work, besides not eating at lunch, even though its actually a union requirement. I don;t remeber him praying 5 times a day, but I actually haven't seen any African muslims do that, just a couple of the guys from Iraq.

They do party a bit at night, sort of like christinas might have more parties in December, but the big party / famaily gatherings happen at the end of the month. This year that fell reight between Thanskgiving and X-mass, so we actually had a "Ramadan Party" because it was just easier to set up that way, rather than on the short (3 day) weeks we had for the "official" holidays. One guy's family made WAY to much food, so he practically burried us in little triangulr meat pies.

If the calanders sych up so that Ramadan falls during summer, it could get really harsh for those folks who adhere strictly and live above the 40th parallel or so.

+Quote Post
DV8
post Jan 17 2004, 07:35 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

I don;t remeber him praying 5 times a day, but I actually haven't seen any African muslims do that, just a couple of the guys from Iraq.

Prayer, another one of the five pillars of faith. You have to pray five times a day, towards Hajj (Mecca). Any prayers missed can be made up during evening prayer.

Disclaimer: I'm going to be uber-assumptuous about your workschedule Mongoose, so don't beat me up if I end up being totally wrong. :)

The prayer times are as followed: sunrise (Fajeh - 6:00), morning (Shrooq - 7:30), noon (Dhuhr - 12:00), afternoon (Asser - 16:00), sunset (Isha - 19:30). It might be that - if you work a nine to five - that you'd be able to catch him prayer twice a day. If not, then perhaps he makes up the two at Isha.

+Quote Post
annachie
post Jan 17 2004, 12:42 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 652

QUOTE (Mongoose)
but here in Minnesotta that's usually like 7-8 hours tops, given the time of year. .

I pity the poor Muslims in the southern hemisphere, particulary in places like Tasmania. Anything up to 16 hours or so.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Jan 17 2004, 02:22 PM
Post #13

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Back in the day... when I was in basic training, I had a couple of Muslims in my platoon during Ramadan. And they continued training throughout the day without a drop of water, but they did empty their canteens over their heads to cool down and force fed water(until they puked) once the sun went down.

+Quote Post
Prototype
post Jan 17 2004, 02:36 PM
Post #14

Target

Member No.: 3,168

Religion is a wacky thing, eh! :D

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Jan 17 2004, 05:33 PM
Post #15

Shooting Target

QUOTE (DV8)
It's not, which is why that doesn't happen. I think you didn't actually read all of my post. People who will put themselves in danger by participating don't have to, provided they make it up if and when they are able to.

I did read your post, I just thought it peculiar that Ramadan must necessarily be several days longer for most women. It's just weird, that's all.

+Quote Post
moosegod
post Jan 17 2004, 06:11 PM
Post #16

Running Target

Well, none of the major religions are really fair to women.

As I understand it, if they are menstrating, they do not participate and just add the days later.

IE- You menstrate for x days. For those x days you live normally, even though it is the middle of Ramadan. Later on, you act like it's Ramadan, even though it might be a month later.

+Quote Post
DV8
post Jan 18 2004, 12:47 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

QUOTE (Zazen)
QUOTE (DV8 @ Jan 16 2004, 05:58 PM)

I did read your post, I just thought it peculiar that Ramadan must necessarily be several days longer for most women. It's just weird, that's all.

Could you please explain to me that, given the information present in this thread, you could come to the conclusion that Ramadhaan would be several days longer for women?

+Quote Post
MooCow
post Jan 18 2004, 05:08 PM
Post #18

Moo!!

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 424

I pity the poor Muslims in the southern hemisphere, particulary in places like Tasmania. Anything up to 16 hours or so.

In areas of the world where the length of day is not similar to Mecca, the church will often set the times to match that of Mecca.

Could you please explain to me that, given the information present in this thread, you could come to the conclusion that Ramadhaan would be several days longer for women?

I'm assuming it's because s/he's an idiot.

+Quote Post
DV8
post Jan 18 2004, 10:25 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Thanks, Moo. :)

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Jan 19 2004, 05:35 AM
Post #20

Shooting Target

QUOTE (DV8)

Because they have to tack the days they spent menstruating on to the end, which is exactly what you said.

I didn't know that menstruation gave them a "get out of fasting free" pass, though, 'till moosegod kindly clarified.

+Quote Post
moosegod
post Jan 19 2004, 05:39 AM
Post #21

Running Target

I feel so warm inside.

Yeah, I'm good at explaining stuff. And being stupid.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 01:55 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.