IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Updating Shadowbeat, Still the best...
Xirces
post Jan 16 2004, 11:15 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,046

Reading through Shadowbeat I was looking at ways to update it - some aspects are fine as is (the rules for music / reporting can be updated to 3rd ed easily), and I expect that a lot of the flavour has been updated in other source books (I definately recall someone making a reference to the Olympics - is this covered somewhere?) Has anything changed with the media (or sport) since 2053? Which books cover these sorts of things?

I'm also having trouble fitting the skills in (the old active / knowledge thing again). Does anyone have thoughts on those - I know singing and musical instruments have been discussed ad nauseum (IIRC the consensus is that those skills are knowledge - but does that change if the character is is a professional rocker?)

Thanks!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Frag-o Delux
post Jan 16 2004, 12:01 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 2,316

SOTA2063 has a section call Culture Shock, covers most things like sports and entertainment.

+Quote Post
Pistons
post Jan 16 2004, 07:22 PM
Post #3

Not Cameron Diaz

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 188

The Sprawl Survival Guide also has some Shadowbeat-like material in it you might be interested in.

+Quote Post
moosegod
post Jan 16 2004, 07:33 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 5,818

I find that more useful for new players than old salts.

And by old salts I mean people who have played for more than a year.

+Quote Post
BaronJ
post Jan 16 2004, 07:33 PM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 2,020

Echo that Pistons & Frag.

Having never read the Shadowbeat book myself (I know.. bad Baron), I thought the info in the Culture sections of SOTA and SSG were pretty useful, with the 'snoop' novels ("Lucifer Deck" comes to mind), and the portacam info in SR3, you could probably pull together a decent Shadowbeat-style run/game.

I might try that for one of my demos here soon... After the top-secret project, that is ;)

BaronJ

+Quote Post
Frag-o Delux
post Jan 16 2004, 07:46 PM
Post #6

Running Target

When I first started playing and buying books of my own years and years ago, man I am gettign old, I didn't think Shadowbeat was all that cool of a book, and not worth my meager earnings. After hearing about Urban Brawl from the other players I had to know more. I found out from one of the guys in the local store that the games rules were in Shadowbeat, I worked overtime at my crappy after school job just to get that book.

But I'll tell you I think the Sprawl Survival Guide is one of the best books to date.

We used the rules in Shadowbeat to determine underground pit fight standing by messing with the rocker rules. I think my physical adept kick boxer was mid-level, it got to the point some of the people at the Stuffer shack started to recognize him, He was also an ameture kick-boxer. Kind of low level, but a few Lone Star spotted him asked for an autograph and let me go. :D They didn't knw we had just pulled ajob. The GM jsut wanted to mess with us and get us to mess up so he could bust us, I fooled him a few autographs and we were home in time for corn flakes. :)

+Quote Post
Adam
post Jan 16 2004, 07:50 PM
Post #7

Prime Runner

Member No.: 51

I wrote a chapter for SOTA: 2063 that was cut, covering the media in more depth in '63. Some of it made it into SSG, but the majority of it hasn't been published. I'm not sure what it's eventual fate will be, as it doesn't really fit into any upcoming books and I don't have the time to re-write/develop 20,000 words for free.

+Quote Post
Grey
post Jan 16 2004, 07:58 PM
Post #8

Runner

Member No.: 100

Why not just take what you have and toss it into TSS?

+Quote Post
Frag-o Delux
post Jan 16 2004, 07:59 PM
Post #9

Running Target

Adam isn't theresupposed to be a new SOTA book every year? If so why not try to get it in that?

+Quote Post
Adam
post Jan 16 2004, 09:47 PM
Post #10

Prime Runner

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Grey)

It doesn't have enough polish, and likely needs some revisions and suchlike to keep it in sync with the timline. Not enough hours in the day! :)

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Jan 17 2004, 01:25 AM
Post #11

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Xirces)
I'm also having trouble fitting the skills in (the old active / knowledge thing again). Does anyone have thoughts on those - I know singing and musical instruments have been discussed ad nauseum (IIRC the consensus is that those skills are knowledge - but does that change if the character is is a professional rocker?)

The way I always look at skills is if they are often useful in a Shadowrun-like situation, then they are Active. If, on the other hand, they are more in the nature of background, or flavor skills, then I classify them as Knowledge.

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Jan 17 2004, 01:35 AM
Post #12

Chrome to the Core

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,715

QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Xirces @ Jan 16 2004, 10:15 PM)

The way I always look at skills is if they are often useful in a Shadowrun-like situation, then they are Active. If, on the other hand, they are more in the nature of background, or flavor skills, then I classify them as Knowledge.

Most of the time a Rocker's Singing skill isn't useful in a run, but it's Active...[/facetious]

Chances are, if it's about something you'd know, it's Knowledge. If it's something you'd do, it's Active.

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post Jan 17 2004, 02:34 AM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 4,323

QUOTE (Adam)
QUOTE (Grey @ Jan 16 2004, 02:58 PM)

It doesn't have enough polish, and likely needs some revisions and suchlike to keep it in sync with the timline. Not enough hours in the day! :)

So... any chance you'd be willing to make it available as is? I mean, we can do the gruntwork involved in making it make sense for our games, and the info would certainly be useful even without a publishable polish.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Jan 17 2004, 03:35 AM
Post #14

Immoral Elf

QUOTE (tanka)
Most of the time a Rocker's Singing skill isn't useful in a run, but it's Active...[/facetious]

You can be as facetious as you like, but I know there are rules that put singing in the Knowledge category. I seem to recall that there are rules that also put Singing in the Active category as well, but in my opinion that shouldn't be the case. If you look at the way skills are split up in Shadowrun, you'll find most of the useful-on-a-Shadowrun skills listed under Active, while other non-Shadowrunning skills that could still be considered active (like Chemistry), are listed as Knowledge.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Jan 17 2004, 03:56 AM
Post #15

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

There's a massive thread regarding Active versus Knowledge skills.

The technical reading allows skills like cooking or singing or poetry to be classified as "Knowledge" skills while previously I would have classified Active: Cooking as "how to fix a meal" while Knowledge: Cooking would be "recipe theory and how to fix French cusine."

Unfortunately, if you read the section of Man & Machine on drugs, you'll see that "Chemistry" as a knowledge skill allows you to produce and manufacture all sorts of nifties. Which implies my standard definition listed above doesn't float. :grinbig:

-Siege

Edit: Doh, basically what Fortune said...sorry. :grinbig:

+Quote Post
Xirces
post Jan 17 2004, 10:01 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Thanks for the advice on books - SSG is probably next on my list to get (after M&M, which I assume I'll be able to get hold of after the reprinting).

The skills thing bugs me - I'd quite happily let a shaman take singing as a knowledge skill to use for centering (otherwise everyone would just take a language), but for a rocker character it seems like it needs to be active. The only justification I can think of is that an active skill indicates professional level quality, hence the rocker dude can make money from it, whilst the knowledge skill represents being able to sing, without any regard for quality.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Jan 18 2004, 02:20 AM
Post #17

Immoral Elf

QUOTE (Xirces @ Jan 17 2004, 09:01 PM)
The only justification I can think of is that an active skill indicates professional level quality, hence the rocker dude can make money from it, whilst the knowledge skill represents being able to sing, without any regard for quality.

Anyone can sing, if they disregard the need for quality. There is no Knowledge involved in vocalizing out-of-tune.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Jan 18 2004, 02:27 AM
Post #18

Dragon

QUOTE (Xirces)
Thanks for the advice on books - SSG is probably next on my list to get (after M&M, which I assume I'll be able to get hold of after the reprinting).

The skills thing bugs me - I'd quite happily let a shaman take singing as a knowledge skill to use for centering (otherwise everyone would just take a language), but for a rocker character it seems like it needs to be active. The only justification I can think of is that an active skill indicates professional level quality, hence the rocker dude can make money from it, whilst the knowledge skill represents being able to sing, without any regard for quality.

That frustration permeates a lot of games -- consequently, most people have house-ruled it to follow more or less the way you suggest.

Although I have to admit I'm starting to like the more pro-active aspects of the "knowledge" skills.

-Siege

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Jan 18 2004, 04:32 AM
Post #19

Immoral Elf

QUOTE (Xirces)
The only justification I can think of is that an active skill indicates professional level quality, hence the rocker dude can make money from it, whilst the knowledge skill represents being able to sing, without any regard for quality.

To take this further, Biology must be an Active skill, otherwise biologists couldn't make money from it. Forensics must also fall in the Active category, as forensic sciebtists certainly do active investigations. I've already mentioned Chemistry. Psychologists actually make money performing phychology, so that should come under Active skills. I could go on all day about almost every one of the skills listed as Knowledge skills, but I think you get my point. :)

+Quote Post
BewilderedGM
post Jan 18 2004, 08:18 AM
Post #20

Target

Member No.: 5,892

QUOTE (Xirces)

Lucky for me is got SSG and its quite good (poss best) sourcebook for me so far. The ones I lack is M&M, Cannon Companion, SR Comp and New Seattle :(
Those would be kinda handy to put my grubby paws on.
Sucks to live where SR dont have a huge market share. The selcetion of books is ridiculous unless I count the novels hehe :grinbig:

Oh well, sorry for the threadsteal.

Shadowbeat is also an excellent book, tho I havent integrated my players into that realm of Seattle, but I reckon those bloodthirsty thugs would be gagging for pit fights and stuff where they could show off their combat prowess /sigh :please:

+Quote Post
Xirces
post Jan 18 2004, 12:06 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Xirces @ Jan 17 2004, 09:01 PM)

To take this further, Biology must be an Active skill, otherwise biologists couldn't make money from it. Forensics must also fall in the Active category, as forensic sciebtists certainly do active investigations. I've already mentioned Chemistry. Psychologists actually make money performing phychology, so that should come under Active skills. I could go on all day about almost every one of the skills listed as Knowledge skills, but I think you get my point. :)

But there is one huge difference in that there are rules for using "singing" in the SR game to a character's advantage - ie, making money or persuading a crowd of people - which makes it an active skill. Biology (or forensics) do not have associated rules. Knowledge skills (generally) should not be used in that way (except as complimentary skills) - chemistry is the exception (and a bloody annoying one at that).

My point is (kind of) made by Small Unit Tactics - it was a knowledge skill until rules were created that made it "useful", at which point it became active...

My point does suck and I agree with you, but I think there is a basis for justification of the way it works at the moment..

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Jan 19 2004, 12:49 AM
Post #22

Immoral Elf

QUOTE (Xirces)
But there is one huge difference in that there are rules for using "singing" in the SR game to a character's advantage - ie, making money or persuading a crowd of people - which makes it an active skill. Biology (or forensics) do not have associated rules. Knowledge skills (generally) should not be used in that way (except as complimentary skills) - chemistry is the exception (and a bloody annoying one at that).

There are rules in SR2 for Rockers making money with Singing. There are rules placing Singing in both the Knowledge and the Active categories. I disagree with your point that other Knowledge skills (besides Chemistry) are not used in that manner. Exactly what skill does a Historian use when plying his trade? What skill is a Navigator using when he's going about his work?
My point is (kind of) made by Small Unit Tactics - it was a knowledge skill until rules were created that made it "useful", at which point it became active...

Small Unit Tactics is a good example. As soon as the skill became useful in a Shadowrunning situation, it was moved to the Active category.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Jan 19 2004, 01:01 AM
Post #23

Dragon

Chemistry was an amazing frag up.

Active: useful on a run
Knowledge: not as useful on a run

It seems to be a silly way of dividing the classifications. Unfortunately, that seems to be the logic behind the current division.

However, since Biology and Singing are both classified as "Knowledge" skills, no matter how active they may be, I'm gonna stick with that because every time I try to re-classiy the skills, I start to get a headache. :grinbig:

-Siege

+Quote Post
moosegod
post Jan 19 2004, 01:03 AM
Post #24

Running Target

Member No.: 5,818

And hijack the thread, start and acrimonious argument, and irritate everyone else.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Jan 19 2004, 01:34 AM
Post #25

Immoral Elf

As far as I'm concerned, Knowledge skills (the category) were implimented to help players expand and build upon their characters. They are there more for the flavor than they are to reflect reality. The Karma costs are lower for these skills, as they are not usually as crucial to the normal game as most Active skills.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:09 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.