IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Recoilless weapons, Do they get less than -1 per shot?
Dakka Dakka
post May 5 2009, 05:18 PM
Post #1

Prime Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,582

There are several weapons that IRL have negligible recoil, like rocket launchers, flamethorwers and lasers. Do they suffer normal recoil modifiers or is ther a differing rule I'm not aware of?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jaid
post May 5 2009, 05:49 PM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

lasers do not. not sure about flamethrowers, but i think they do (and i doubt the negligible recoil anyways... you have to propel the fuel somehow, and iirc they have quite an impressive range and they fire some kind of gelatin-like substance... probably fairly heavy. kinda like a firehose.)

rockets are generally single shot anyways, so since you only get one attack with them per IP it really doesn't matter... there is no second shot to suffer recoil, and recoil doesn't do anything to the first shot.

+Quote Post
Dakka Dakka
post May 5 2009, 07:05 PM
Post #3

Prime Runner

QUOTE (Jaid @ May 5 2009, 07:49 PM) *
lasers do not. not sure about flamethrowers, but i think they do (and i doubt the negligible recoil anyways... you have to propel the fuel somehow, and iirc they have quite an impressive range and they fire some kind of gelatin-like substance... probably fairly heavy. kinda like a firehose.)
you might be right about that.

rockets are generally single shot anyways, so since you only get one attack with them per IP it really doesn't matter... there is no second shot to suffer recoil, and recoil doesn't do anything to the first shot.
Only one of two rocket launchers in the BBB is single shot, the other is semi automatic as is another one in the Arsenal.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post May 5 2009, 07:06 PM
Post #4

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

Still no Burst/FA Rocket/Missle-Luncher?

+Quote Post
Dakka Dakka
post May 5 2009, 07:14 PM
Post #5

Prime Runner

Not off the rack. But you could mod it. Unfortunately the ammunition is a little expensive for a mere +2 DV

FA Lasers however would a) be stylish and b) effective and the higher rate of fire could offset the weird drawbacks of rain and fog.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post May 5 2009, 07:16 PM
Post #6

The ShadowComedian

Hell yeah, PULE-LASERS!

+Quote Post
TBRMInsanity
post May 5 2009, 08:45 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 8,494

Because a missile/rocket launcher has a back draft they don't suffer from recoil. That being said I would be hesitant as a GM to allow to create a rocket launcher that shoots BF or FA. You would need a missile/rocket rack to pull something like that off, and I doubt your character could lift all that weight. Even a single round BF rocket launcher pack that fires say 4-10 rockets in one BF round would require a powered exoskeleton to fire. Most people can only carry 3 missiles/rockets at one time before starting being weighted down.

+Quote Post
Dragnar
post May 5 2009, 09:08 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,638

Just as a quick note: Most "recoilless weapons" don't eliminate recoil completely, they just eliminate the kickback. Bigger weapons usually still shake quite a bit. I wouldn't envy the poor soul having to fire a handheld FA rocket launcher...
Lasers are about the only weapon type that actually has no recoil.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post May 5 2009, 09:52 PM
Post #9

The ShadowComedian

The sonic rifle thingie doesn't have any either.
And Flame-Throwers?
Come on, how much Recoil does your super soaker generate? O.o
That can NOT be compared to what comes out of firemens big long thick hoses . .

+Quote Post
Dakka Dakka
post May 5 2009, 09:54 PM
Post #10

Prime Runner

True, but FA Rocket Launchers need not necessarily be man-potable. Drones and vehicles could also get an increase in firepower. If the GM does not rule the vehicle sufficiently heavy to completely ignore recoil, the lesser recoil of launchers could help.

@Stahlseele: Or Lasrifles & Hellguns (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

Totally forgot the sonic weapon.

+Quote Post
Fix-it
post May 5 2009, 10:08 PM
Post #11

Creating a god with his own hands

Member No.: 3,364

M2 Flamethrower

capacity; 4 gallons fuel, nitrogen propellant.

fuel is napalm, which is a mixture of gasoline and a thickener, we'll say 6 lbs a gallon. it uses half a gallon a second, and kicks flames 132 feet. that's ~396 back-of-the-napkin-foot-lbs. which compares to a round of 9mm parabellum. it has SOME recoil. certainly more than your super soaker.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post May 5 2009, 10:46 PM
Post #12

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

QUOTE (Fix-it @ May 5 2009, 06:08 PM) *
M2 Flamethrower

capacity; 4 gallons fuel, nitrogen propellant.

fuel is napalm, which is a mixture of gasoline and a thickener, we'll say 6 lbs a gallon. it uses half a gallon a second, and kicks flames 132 feet. that's ~396 back-of-the-napkin-foot-lbs. which compares to a round of 9mm parabellum. it has SOME recoil. certainly more than your super soaker.

Also has like 3 times the range.

+Quote Post
Dragnar
post May 5 2009, 11:14 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Flamethrowers aren't free of recoil, as mentioned. You just don't care too much about straying from your intended target point by 5-10 cm as that still lights them up quite nicely. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
I forgot about the sonic gun as well. I've no idea how those would react, as AFAIK in RL those are only experimented with on a much bigger scale. Those things tremble quite a bit, although it's not comparable to actual ballistic weapons of the same size.

And I'm not up to snuff on my w40k fluff, but aren't hellguns just high-powered lasguns anyway? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Starmage21
post May 5 2009, 11:37 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,448

QUOTE (Dragnar @ May 5 2009, 04:08 PM) *

Misconception! Photons do have weight! They do generate recoil when propelled from a laser device. Its just negligable (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

/threadjack

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post May 6 2009, 04:56 AM
Post #15

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,665

QUOTE (Starmage21 @ May 5 2009, 07:37 PM) *
Misconception! Photons do have weight! They do generate recoil when propelled from a laser device. Its just negligable (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

/threadjack

Yes, because all those micro-newtons of recoil are SO throwing off your aim! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

+Quote Post
Matsci
post May 6 2009, 05:25 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,626

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ May 5 2009, 11:06 AM) *
Still no Burst/FA Rocket/Missle-Luncher?

Flechette Hail Barrage Rocket Launcher. Arsenal. Capable of dumping 20 rockets on to some poor fool from a quarter mile away.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post May 6 2009, 05:28 AM
Post #17

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Starmage21 @ May 5 2009, 07:37 PM) *

/threadjack

No. Photons have exactly 0 mass. 1 unit of atomic mass is a proton, a photon is smaller than an electron (5.4 * 10^-4 u), so even if it did have non zero positive mass, the number would be so small as to actually not matter in Newtonian physics (which is what recoil is).

+Quote Post
Starmage21
post May 6 2009, 12:55 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,448

QUOTE (Draco18s @ May 6 2009, 12:28 AM) *
No. Photons have exactly 0 mass. 1 unit of atomic mass is a proton, a photon is smaller than an electron (5.4 * 10^-4 u), so even if it did have non zero positive mass, the number would be so small as to actually not matter in Newtonian physics (which is what recoil is).

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/resources/.../photonmass.htm

Its far less than 1 unit of atomic mass, but it is still there. Enough of them fired simultaneously and eventually you get something.

+Quote Post
TBRMInsanity
post May 6 2009, 02:58 PM
Post #19

Running Target

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ May 5 2009, 03:52 PM) *
The sonic rifle thingie doesn't have any either.
And Flame-Throwers?
Come on, how much Recoil does your super soaker generate? O.o
That can NOT be compared to what comes out of firemens big long thick hoses . .

Not to get into too many details but I modified a super soaker once by replacing the hand pumping with a CO2 canister. When I fired the weapon it had kick (about the same as a C7 (M16)). I also melted the nossel of the super soaker.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post May 6 2009, 05:21 PM
Post #20

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Starmage21 @ May 6 2009, 08:55 AM) *
http://www.usatoday.com/weather/resources/.../photonmass.htm

Its far less than 1 unit of atomic mass, but it is still there. Enough of them fired simultaneously and eventually you get something.

Like I said, even if it is non-zero it's so small to not make a difference at the macroscale.

Plus, if it's moving at the speed of light, it is massless, thus a laser has no mass.

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post May 6 2009, 10:01 PM
Post #21

Old Man Jones

Member No.: 1,699

QUOTE (Dragnar @ May 5 2009, 09:08 PM) *
Just as a quick note: Most "recoilless weapons" don't eliminate recoil completely, they just eliminate the kickback. Bigger weapons usually still shake quite a bit. I wouldn't envy the poor soul having to fire a handheld FA rocket launcher...

Not a rocket launcher, but the first thing I thought of.

(I think it's a shoulder fired anti-tank shell launcher? Not sure.)

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post May 6 2009, 10:44 PM
Post #22

Immortal Elf

It also doesn't let gasses escape from the back like a bazooka does.

+Quote Post
TBRMInsanity
post May 6 2009, 10:55 PM
Post #23

Running Target

QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ May 6 2009, 04:01 PM) *
Not a rocket launcher, but the first thing I thought of.

(I think it's a shoulder fired anti-tank shell launcher? Not sure.)

This is defiantly not recoilless.

+Quote Post
Dragnar
post May 7 2009, 12:11 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

I'm not even sure what exactly that is.
Do I see that correctly, a system that fires some kind of shock piston backwards to mechanically simulate the way rocket launchers reduce recoil? Just so you can fire absurdly big calibres without ripping your arm off? What'd you actually need that for?

+Quote Post
Meatbag
post May 7 2009, 01:27 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,603

By RAW, several weapons that are effectively recoiless (or should be) are not. The Ares Super-Squirt causes recoil, and by a strict reading, the Pain Inducer does as well ("lasers cause no recoil" wasn't introduced until Arsenal, and Errata hasn't changed that weapon).

I'm willing to give the gyrojet pistol a pass. since real gyrojet pistols have a minimum range. while the FN-AAL does not, apart from the mechanism in the rockets. In a real example, the initial shove down the barrel is comparable with a Nerf cannon - one could stop the weapon by jamming a finger down the barrel.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 09:39 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.