> Multiuser Simsense combat simulation
meus
post Jan 16 2004, 12:23 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,895

Hello,

My players keep bugging me about questions that i do not find a reference for in the books. Hence i usually ask at #shadowrun and then if i do not get a answer post the question here. This community is great so i hope that you can help me with this issue as well.

This days question:
A multiuser combat simsense simulator with a realistic physical model and a intelligent AI.

Also:
Does this tech have the ability to customize the solders fighting to represent the actualy physical soldiers using the sim? Can you use magic in them (i doubt it.. but they).

I dunno if there are any references to this in cannon, if there is i would like to know. On #shadowrun i got a hint that they might do some of it in the Fort, and i think i have heard something about DocWagon using some sort of simsense combat sims.

And finally:
What do you people think would be the availability and cost of owning/using such a service?

regards
Bjarte
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jan 16 2004, 12:30 PM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

hm. probably possible. it'd be expensive, because you'd have to tailor each avatar to match the individual player's physique--a full rundown on how each player uses his or her real body, so that the avatar will 'feel' right when the player controls it.

other than that, it'd just be a video game.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Jan 16 2004, 12:38 PM
Post #3

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

You may want to reference Target: Matrix.

There are some games that can work out the kinks in teamwork and tactics... Like Paranormal Crisis p79 Target Matrix

+Quote Post
Siege
post Jan 17 2004, 03:51 AM
Post #4

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

Given the existence of Simsense, games like Quake or Doom would be absolutely mind-blowing.

And, subsequently, serve as combat trainers if a full-immersion system with the RealPhysics upgrade...

"Feel a real rifle's recoil! Hear the boom and feel the heat of an explosion as it shreds your buddy, turning him into the largest briquette you've seen."

Not unlike arguments (conspiracy theories) regarding the combat training aspects of modern video games today. :grinbig:

-Siege

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Jan 17 2004, 03:59 AM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

Just so I get some big Black IC to sic on those people who are ruining the game for everyone, I'll be happy. :cyber:

But I assume that America's Army: 2060, or whatever, will probably do a pretty good job.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Jan 17 2004, 04:03 AM
Post #6

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

You think that's bad, wait until a deranged decker creates a virus to infect these online games to condition reflex responses for certain triggers. :grinbig:

-Siege

+Quote Post
Cain
post Jan 17 2004, 06:09 AM
Post #7

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 178

To attempt to answer your question-- what you're describing is nothing more than a Virtual Tutor program, with a few fancy special effects. While multiuser VT programs aren't described, I can't imagine why they wouldn't exist; although for game balance I'd suggest that it costs full price for each person the program can address simultaneously. You wouldn't be able to use magic, unfortunately-- no VT can teach magic skills.

Basically, from a rules perspective, what you're looking at is a sophisticated cluster of VT programs, designed to teach several skills at once-- weapons training, small unit tactics, target designation, and so on. The special effect is of an immersive simsense environment against an advanced tactical program.

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Jan 17 2004, 06:13 AM
Post #8

Runner

Though there may be balance issuses with that, since such a system may be available for free as 'UCAS Army: 2060' or for 50 :nuyen: at your local EB as 'Duke Nukem Forever'.

+Quote Post
Connor
post Jan 17 2004, 09:38 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,652

QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
Though there may be balance issuses with that, since such a system may be available for free as 'UCAS Army: 2060' or for 50  :nuyen:  at your local EB as 'Duke Nukem Forever'.

It's pretty bold of you to suggest that Duke Nukem Forever will be out alongside UCAS Army: 2060! I have a feeling George's successor will still be touting the 'when it's done' line.

That aside, I was reading earlier today about the army moving to massive multiplayer online environments/games to be used as training devices. Something like what's been proposed above is certainly forseeable with the current trends in training and the tech that exists in canon.

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Jan 17 2004, 10:03 AM
Post #10

Runner

You can check out Tacops 4 for a pretty neat armor battle sim. :love:

It being used in a network environment to train armor commanders already.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:43 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.