IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Development of Rigging, Why, when, how?
Bölverk
post Jan 16 2004, 07:59 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,453

The historical overview in SR3 gives a pretty good basic summary of the timeline of and reasons for the development of cyberware, magic, and the Matrix. But unless I'm overlooking something obvious, there's very little equivalent historical information there about rigging. So I have to ask, when was rigging first developed? Was it an unexpected side benefit of the development of simsense, or was there major research pressure to develop rigger technology? Who developed the first VCR, and what was it used for? And so forth...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
moosegod
post Jan 16 2004, 08:01 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 5,818

Part of it is the spawn of ASIST technology that created the Matrix.

So it's derivative, but I have no answers for anything else.

+Quote Post
Adarael
post Jan 16 2004, 08:27 PM
Post #3

Deus Absconditus

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,566

I'd suggest it as an outgrowth of the increasing connectivity between military drivers/pilots (specifically, attack craft pilots such as Tankers, jet jocks, apache pilots and gunners) and the increasing necessity of aircraft to be built with an integral fly-by-wire system.

Of course, if you wanna get metaplot heavy, I could suggest Nightwraith as a test rigging flight.

But even *I* think that's dumb.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Jan 17 2004, 04:31 AM
Post #4

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

Because someone asked "how can we make the Apache/pilot combination even better?"

Then some other geek said, "Well, wait...how about we combine this virtual simsense with the pilot's own sensations to radically improve performance and survivability?"

A lot of scientific and technological innovation has come from, "what happens when we do this?"

Subsequently followed by, "what the hell, let's give it a shot!" :grinbig:

The academic version of, "hey y'all, watch this!"

-Siege

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jan 17 2004, 04:49 AM
Post #5

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

another possibility is that it grew out of the UAV projects. rigging while actually inside the vehicle might be a relatively newer concept.

+Quote Post
simonw2000
post Jan 17 2004, 07:22 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,491

I hope SimSense comes out as well!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 10:16 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.