IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Illusionist, I can't seem to make one...
Chibu
post May 14 2009, 08:26 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,102

Hi everyone. Haven't been around for awhile, but my group is thinking about starting up a new campaign (finally) so, I've had Running on my mind lately. Please note that we play 2nd Edition (mostly) Though, converting back and forth shouldn't be a problem. Anyway, the concept I have for a character is an Illusionist. Probably Snake Shaman (Against direct combat, Obsessed with finding out secrets, etc). There are only a few printed Illusion spells. And alot of them are different forms of the same spell (Ex: Mask, Physical Mask, Vehicle Mask). So, my question is: Has anyone written any illusion spells? I'm working on some myself, trying to flesh out the concept, etc. Here's the first:

Ventriloquism
Type: P • Range: LOS • Duration: S • TN: Int ® • Drain: +2M
Create an False voice (or other sounds) coming from another point. If the target fails to roll more successes than the magician on a Spell Resistance Test, the voice can not be distinguished from reality.

So, go for it, what are your ideas for new Illusion spells? (Descriptions are fine, Drain and such aren't really necessary (feel fee though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif) ))

~ Chibu
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Maelstrome
post May 14 2009, 08:39 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,237

is there a spell that creates the illusion of all metal in contact with the target(s) being incredibly hot?

that sounds like a neat trick.

mages uses ventriloquism.

*guard draws gun*
gun: hey man put me down. dont drag me into this.
guard:what the hell?
mage casts spell to make metal seem hot.
guard drops gun.

if nothing else its a little funny.

+Quote Post
Mercurian
post May 14 2009, 08:51 PM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 16,796

Tactile and aromatic illusions could be both fun and handy. I can't recall, did Stink (or whatever it was called) make it to 4e?

+Quote Post
Chibu
post May 14 2009, 09:00 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

QUOTE (Maelstrome @ May 14 2009, 03:39 PM) *
is there a spell that creates the illusion of all metal in contact with the target(s) being incredibly hot?

that sounds like a neat trick.

mages uses ventriloquism.

*guard draws gun*
gun: hey man put me down. dont drag me into this.
guard:what the hell?
mage casts spell to make metal seem hot.
guard drops gun.

if nothing else its a little funny.

Lol, yeah it would be. And yes, in Third (and 4th) edition there is an area-effect spell that makes all metal seem very hot. That is one that we plan to add. However, I think even better than just Ventriloquism in this case would be something to the effect of:

Cartoonify
Type: M • Range: LOS • Duration: S • TN: Int ® • Drain: Haven't thought about it yet. (probably kind of high)
The Cartoonify Spell makes the target see a specific object become animated, as in a cartoon. The animated object generally will have exaggerated features and and bend alot, like it's made of rubber. This illusion does not stop the object from being operated normally, and no one other than the target and caster can see it happening.

Jim the Minimum Wage mage sees a Big Scary Troll sneaking around the office building. The shadowrunner is carrying an Ares Predator. Jim doesn't get paid enough to enter into a direct confrontation with the big scary Shadowrunner, but he also doesn't want to lose his job. Jim casts Cartoonify on the Big Scary Runner's Predator at Force 4. Since the Big Scary Runner has an Intelligence of 1, Jim's target number is 2 (the minimum TN in Shadowrun). Jim Rolls 3 successes. The Troll attempts to resist by rolling his Intelligence with a target number of 4, the force of the spell. He amazingly gets 1 success. Since the troll has rolled less successes than Jim, he believes the illusion to be actually happening. The predator makes a popping noise and grows big googly-eyes and the barrel opening moves like a mouth. "Pst, pst. HEY! Yeah, you, big scary troll! Down here! Hey so, I think we need to get out of here. There are all sorts of scary guards and such hiding just around the corner!" Of course the troll is very freaked out by this, and in his excitement he drops the gun which accidentally falls down a sewer drain making loud (real) clanging noises. The more highly paid guards hear the commotion and come running to the scene! Jim the Minimum Wage mage saves the day again, without ever endangering himself.

+Quote Post
Chibu
post May 14 2009, 09:04 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

QUOTE (Mercurian @ May 14 2009, 03:51 PM) *
Tactile and aromatic illusions could be both fun and handy. I can't recall, did Stink (or whatever it was called) make it to 4e?

I believe (though I've only read through it a few times, never played) that Stink (Single) and Stench (Area) are in 4e. And yes, Stink is pretty hilarious. however, as far as the game is concerned, it has the exact results as Chaos/Chaotic World, which also includes overpowering smells. Stink does have slightly lower drain though (because it is a single sense illusion).

+Quote Post
Larme
post May 14 2009, 09:26 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Member No.: 15,430

QUOTE (Chibu @ May 14 2009, 04:26 PM) *
There are only a few printed Illusion spells. And alot of them are different forms of the same spell (Ex: Mask, Physical Mask, Vehicle Mask). So, my question is: Has anyone written any illusion spells?

Really? Have you looked at Street Magic? Becuase there's a lot more variation in the illusion spells there. I can understand how you'd say that if you'd only seen the core book though.

+Quote Post
Chibu
post May 14 2009, 09:57 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

QUOTE (Larme @ May 14 2009, 05:26 PM) *
Really? Have you looked at Street Magic? Becuase there's a lot more variation in the illusion spells there. I can understand how you'd say that if you'd only seen the core book though.

Yes, I have. In fact, you quoted me mentioning a spell (Vehicle Mask) that's in Street Magic. And we were talking about Hot Potato a few posts back.

There is not really any more variation in the Illusion spells in 4e than other editions though. The addition of Bugs/Swarm and the Orgasm (seriously? Was Overstimulation not enough?) is pretty much all there is. And those are really just flavor text on top of other spells. Which, sure, is kind of what I'm looking for. Double image is pretty cool for instance. But there still isn't much out there. Chaff, for instance, is the same as Stink and Orgasm, but with different targets. Double Image is really cool spell though.

Mainly I'm just disgruntled and want to write new spells and be creative.

+Quote Post
Larme
post May 14 2009, 10:54 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Member No.: 15,430

IMO, the biggest barrier to being an illusion mage is that everything you do is a sustained spell. It would be nice if there were permanent versions of existing spells, i.e. you cast them and they last for a certain length of time without sustaining. If you had nothing but illusion magic you would very quickly become worthless because you'd be sustaining too many spells. And foci only go so far, they're super expensive and limited to rating 3 at chargen. Spirits work ok, but if you Bind them to make the illusion really last a long time they hate you because it's abusive, AND it costs an assload of money. If you do the normal sustaining power, it's a bit more reasonable, but you're still at a 2:1 disadvantage against other mages because while they just have to cast spells, you have to cast AND summon, then hand the sustained spell off to the spirit so you can cast another spell without penalty...

+Quote Post
Psikerlord
post May 15 2009, 10:54 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,094

Aren't the big illusion spells trid phantasm and physical mask? TP lets you create the illusion of anything you've seen - that's one hell of a flexible illusion power. Then Mask lets you cast illusions on top of something - I think including vehicles and objects, as well as people (given that vehicle mask is more specific, reduced drain version of standard mask?). So TP lets you create illusions where there is empty space, and mask lets you create illusions where there is something there already, but you want to make it look like something else. That's a lot of flexible illusion power. Then you add the extra spicy bits with hot potato, bugs, invisibility, etc... world's your credstick, chummer.

+Quote Post
Chibu
post May 15 2009, 12:08 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Well that's a really good point... Truthfully, I had just glanced over those two spells assuming they were the same as in SR2. In SR2, the only 'make whatever illusions you want' spells are "obvious" illusions, and Mask required a voluntary subject. +1D is a little bit rough for a spell that will need cast at least 8-10 times during a run. Well... just D should be ok maybe... if the spell is at Force 6, +2 dice from Totem, 6 Willpower (ideally (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif) ) and a touch of spell pool... Add that all up and I'll probably take L every time. Guess I'll have to get an Illusion Focus...

Thanks for the pointer to Phantasm. That should probably do it for the most part. Though I was also thinking of a double mask spell...

Switch
Type: M - Range: LOS - Duration: S - TN: Int ® - Drain: ?? (+1(or 2)S maybe)
The Switch spell is a step up from a normal mask spell. The appearance of the caster and the target switch. The spellcaster decides if the target can see the changes or not.

I was thinking of this one because Mask in SR2 needs a voluntary subject. Seems in SR3 you could just double-cast a normal mask spell to get about the same effect. But, when a lone guard spots you and aims his gun at you to 'take you in for questioning' (apparently a pretty friendly corp XD) is the time for this spell. When his buddies come running to help, well, looks like the guard's probably out of luck. Another good time for that kind of spell, is on a busy street when someone is pursuing you. Switch with a wage save, and save yourself a bullet to the head. Also comes in handy if you're a (very dedicated) bodyguard. But well, we're not (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

Anyway, since I was thinking about it before the last post, I'll drop in the rest of the spells that I've thought of since I last posted.

One of the Crowd
Type: M - Range: LOS - Duration: S - TN: Int ® - Drain: +2M
One of the crowd is another spin off of the Mask spell. The target blends into the crowd, looking very similar, but not exactly the same as, everyone else in the crowd. This makes it very hard for any pursuers to follow the target. Admittedly, the Mask spell probably works just fine for about the same effect.

Sore Thumb
Type: M - Range: LOS - Duration: S - TN: Int ® - Drain:
The Sore Thumb spell is exactly the opposite of One of the Crowd. The target of Sore Thumb sticks out like well... a sore thumb. The target becomes very noticeable, by glowing slightly, and just seeming slightly off... Anyone looking obviously notices the target.

Also unrelatedly, I'm planning to take Shape Earth (manipulation) if I can afford it to make myself free doors into buildings...

Again, thanks for the pointer to Phantasm. That pretty much solves all of my problems (other than being conscious (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif) ). Though I'd still welcome fun uses for illusions, and anything else anyone comes up with.

EDIT: I forgot to reply to the post before that.
Yeah, I agree about sustaining spells... But it shouldn't really be all that much of a problem. I don't play mages often, but when I do, I usually end up multicasting and sustaining and casting spells at the same time anyway. Illusions spells would definitely be too good if they we not sustained, so I agree with that for the sake of balance. But, what's a few extra target numbers anyway? I'm planning to take an enchanting skill anyway, so I guess I'll just have to make a Rating 6 Illusion+Rating 6 Manipulation Focus (Yes, it will take awhile...) or something like that, once the game starts. And I suppose I should probably take something that can be a different kind of useful as well. (Combat spells or something.) I'll probably be the only mage(shaman) in the group, so we'll definitely need some way to deal with spirits and the like... Well, I guess time will tell.

+Quote Post
Link
post May 16 2009, 01:07 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,180

Here is a list of illusion spells from the classic editions (1st to 3rd;) that I took (and extrapolated upon) from the master spell lists in the NAGEE 'zines.
The formatting's bonkers so let me know if you need any references or spell details etc.
CODE
Illusion                            
Name    sr1    g1    sr2    g2    aw    sr3    mits
Agonising Pain                136        
Agony                            142
Blindness                            143
Camouflage                        143
Chaff                    136        143
Chaos    94    117    155            195    
Chaotic World    94    117    155            195    
Confusion    94    117    155            195    
Crowd Scene                    136        
Disregard                    137        
Dream                    137        143
Double Image                        143
Entertainment    94    117    156            195    
Flare                    137        
Flash                                    143
Foreboding                        143
Hot Potato                            143
Improved Invisibility            156        195    
Invisibility    94    117    156            195    
Mask    94    117    156            195    
Mass Confusion                        195    
Mass Agony                            142
Overstimulation        117        130            
Phantasm                        195    
Physical Mask        117        130        195    
Physical Camouflage                            143
Physical Double Image                            143
See Me Not*                            
Silence                    137    196    
Spectacle        117        130            
Stealth                        196    
Stench                            143
Stimulation    96        156                
Stink    96        156                143
Trid Entertainment        117        130        195    
Trid Phantasm                        195    
Trid Spectacle        117        130            
Vehicle Mask                130            144

I don't have a obvious reference for See Me Not, perhaps it came from Kage magazine.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:13 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.