Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Registering sprites & binding spirits of very high rating/force
Andinel
post May 16 2009, 11:28 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,609

Since unregistered sprites only last for 8 hours and spirits only last until sunup or sundown, is it even possible to register a sprite of Rating 9 or higher or a spirit of Force 12 or higher (assuming that you get about 12 hours of life out of an unbound spirit)?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tiger Eyes
post May 17 2009, 12:54 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,508

QUOTE (Andinel @ May 16 2009, 06:28 PM) *
Since unregistered sprites only last for 8 hours and spirits only last until sunup or sundown, is it even possible to register a sprite of Rating 9 or higher or a spirit of Force 12 or higher (assuming that you get about 12 hours of life out of an unbound spirit)?

Yes. The sprite sticks around until the registering (or spirit/binding) is done and either succeeds or fails. The 8 hour limit is not enforced during the registering process.

+Quote Post
Cain
post May 17 2009, 03:40 AM
Post #3

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 178

Dear gods....

OK, folks, you heard it from the big boss. Sprites/Spirits sticking around is canon.

+Quote Post
TeOdio
post May 17 2009, 04:39 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,937

All she said was that they stick around while you register or bind them. As for registering sprites, the technomancer has enter a VR meditation with the sprite for a number of hours equal to the force. The sprite ain't doing nothing, the technomancer ain't doing nothing. What's the big deal? As far as the magic goes, it's a ritual to bind the spirit, so that's all the mage is doing. No big deal either.

+Quote Post
Cain
post May 17 2009, 04:53 AM
Post #5

Grand Master of Run-Fu

The problem was that now, you can bind a force 18 spirit/sprite, whereas before it wasn't possible. Heck, if you've got the stats for it, there's now no limit to the size of the beastie you can bind.

Previously, you could only register a Force 8 sprite, because of the time limit. Now imagine a Force 16 Assist Operation dice pool!

+Quote Post
Zormal
post May 17 2009, 05:57 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,928

You need a pretty epic character to pull it off, though...

+Quote Post
Cain
post May 17 2009, 06:08 AM
Post #7

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Not really. I've personally had a Force 16 spirit appear and be bound in my game, when I thought the spirit stuck around. That spirit could almost break a game by itself. The PC was a dedicated summoner, but hardly one of the uber-builds.

There's also the burning Edge trick, where if you fail, you burn Edge to beat the spirit's roll/drain. It costs you 9 karma, under SR4.0.

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post May 17 2009, 06:36 AM
Post #8

The back-up plan

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,910

By all means Cain, quote me the rule and page reference for your "Edge Trick" because I certainly don't see it in Spending Edge (p. 67, SR4) or in Burning Edge (p. 68, SR4). Note: I'm using the SR4 book not SR4A, since you called that one out specifically.

The closest I can see, is achieving a critical success, but that second line of not being able to buy it if you can't achieve it puts a stop to a lot of crap. (Unless of course, you ignore that part of the rule...)

And I'm assuming the cost you quoted is for an Edge of 3, burned to 2 and rebought?

+Quote Post
Zormal
post May 17 2009, 06:48 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,928

Mmm... I guess you're right. At least it's quite possible. With edge burning the GM still has to agree that "the character is capable of carrying out the action" and decide that the spirit won't also be burning edge, though I don't know if I'd resort to things like this.

My games have always been real gentlemanly, so this have never even come up. Still (or maybe because of this) I like the fact that there's no hard limit on what you can do.

Besides, those pesky Great Dragons need their double-digit-force spirits (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Muspellsheimr
post May 17 2009, 06:52 AM
Post #10

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,706

QUOTE (Cain @ May 16 2009, 09:53 PM) *
Now imagine a Force 16 Assist Operation dice pool!

Which is a Teamwork Test, & thus not going to exceed your skill rating, & is not guaranteed to be maximum bonus.

QUOTE (BishopMcQ @ May 16 2009, 11:36 PM) *
The closest I can see, is achieving a critical success, but that second line of not being able to buy it if you can't achieve it puts a stop to a lot of crap. (Unless of course, you ignore that part of the rule...)

And this has been covered numerous times in the past; the game defines 'no chance of success' as 'dice pool of 0 / no roll allowed'. Regardless of the threshold, if you can roll, you have a chance of success.

+Quote Post
rathmun
post May 17 2009, 08:38 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,158

QUOTE (Cain @ May 17 2009, 12:08 AM) *
Not really. I've personally had a Force 16 spirit appear and be bound in my game, when I thought the spirit stuck around. That spirit could almost break a game by itself. The PC was a dedicated summoner, but hardly one of the uber-builds.

There's also the burning Edge trick, where if you fail, you burn Edge to beat the spirit's roll/drain. It costs you 9 karma, under SR4.0.

QUOTE (BishopMcQ @ May 17 2009, 12:36 AM) *
By all means Cain, quote me the rule and page reference for your "Edge Trick" because I certainly don't see it in Spending Edge (p. 67, SR4) or in Burning Edge (p. 68, SR4). Note: I'm using the SR4 book not SR4A, since you called that one out specifically.

And I'm assuming the cost you quoted is for an Edge of 3, burned to 2 and rebought?

Not sure what it was in previous editions, but according to SR4A, raising an attribute is 5x new, not 3x new.

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post May 17 2009, 02:54 PM
Post #12

The back-up plan

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,910

Muspellsheimer--I would also say that without the Rule of Six, on a Dice Pool of 10, it's impossible to get 14 hits and thus preclude the Burn. And as the Burn does not allow the rule of six, it would be impossible to do.

+Quote Post
Cain
post May 17 2009, 06:03 PM
Post #13

Grand Master of Run-Fu

It's simple. You spend Edge normally, giving you exploding 6's and thus a shot at infinite successes. When that fails, you burn Edge for a critical success. You could have rolled it normally-- and in my games, I've witnessed it happening without burning Edge-- thus, it's fair game for burning Edge.

And before anyone gets their panties in a twist, allow me to remind everyone that the rule only prohibits *spending* more than one Edge on a particular action. Burning Edge is a separate animal, and you can burn however much you like. There's just no reason to do so.

Bottom line is, the time limit was the only thing preventing bound force 18+ spirits from appearing in the game. There's ways around everything else.

+Quote Post
crizh
post May 17 2009, 07:43 PM
Post #14

Runner

Member No.: 15,722

Yeah, Muss' has tried to convince me of this before and I ain't buying now either.

You cannot Burn Edge on a test you have no hope of achieving. Period.

Next you'll tell me that Mr Lucky can spend Edge to have a pool and then Burn Edge to get four net hits.

I don't think it needs saying that you can't Burn Edge on a test you could not succeed at without spending Edge.

Because there is no such thing as a test you cannot succeed at if spending Edge is allowed.

Frankly if I were GM'ing and someone tried this the Spirit/Sprite in question would Burn Edge in retaliation.

On the subject of the OP, good luck Registering anything higher than Rating 9 Sprites. Without stupid amounts of submersion and massive amounts of karma spent on Resonance there is an effective cap of about 25 Dice on your Registering Dice Pool.

+Quote Post
Andinel
post May 17 2009, 08:12 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,609

Other little things help. Especially Widget Crafting. But it was a question that came up in my game yesterday, since I wanted to try to register a Rating 9 sprite and our party mage wanted to try to bind a Force 10 spirit. Thanks for the answers!

+Quote Post
kzt
post May 17 2009, 08:14 PM
Post #16

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

QUOTE (crizh @ May 17 2009, 01:43 PM) *
Because there is no such thing as a test you cannot succeed at if spending Edge is allowed.

You'd think that the people who wrote the rules would realize this. Based on the rules, you'd be wrong.

+Quote Post
Matsci
post May 17 2009, 08:20 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,626

Binding a Highforce spirit is easy. Travel north of the artic circle, such as Longyearbyen during late Apirl. Summon any force of spirit you wish. You have weeks to bind it.

So the question is, Why does Cain hate technomancers.

+Quote Post
crizh
post May 17 2009, 08:29 PM
Post #18

Runner

QUOTE (Matsci @ May 17 2009, 09:20 PM) *
Binding a Highforce spirit is easy. Travel north of the artic circle, such as Longyearbyen during late Apirl. Summon any force of spirit you wish. You have weeks to bind it.

So the question is, Why does Cain hate technomancers.

Time isn't really the problem.

DP's and Drain are the problem. Possession Traditions have a slightly easier time of it but after a certain point you are working out how many boxes of damage you can survive instead of how much Drain you can absorb. You don't want to get into an Edge pissing contest on the Binding Test for a Force 16. You could easily end up having to soak 40 boxes of damage.

+Quote Post
Muspellsheimr
post May 17 2009, 09:52 PM
Post #19

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,706

You cannot Burn Edge on a test you have no hope of achieving. Period.

And you are considered to have a chance of success if you can make a roll, regardless of how many dice you are rolling.

You cannot succeed at an action you cannot actually perform, which is where the limit on burning Edge is supposed to apply. You cannot succeed at summoning a spirit whose Force is greater than twice your Magic, regardless of if you use Edge or not; thus, you cannot burn Edge for a critical success. Similarly, you cannot cast a spell at something you do not have a link to, & cannot burn Edge to do so, or you cannot attack a target beyond your weapons maximum range, & cannot burn Edge to do so.

+Quote Post
crizh
post May 17 2009, 10:30 PM
Post #20

Runner

QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ May 17 2009, 10:52 PM) *
And you are considered to have a chance of success if you can make a roll, regardless of how many dice you are rolling.

It says this where? Page reference?

QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ May 17 2009, 10:52 PM) *
You cannot succeed at an action you cannot actually perform, which is where the limit on burning Edge is supposed to apply. You cannot succeed at summoning a spirit whose Force is greater than twice your Magic, regardless of if you use Edge or not; thus, you cannot burn Edge for a critical success. Similarly, you cannot cast a spell at something you do not have a link to, & cannot burn Edge to do so, or you cannot attack a target beyond your weapons maximum range, & cannot burn Edge to do so.

No you don't even get a test in those circumstances and therefore by your own logic have no chance of success.

A test you cannot succeed at is one where you have insufficient dice to meet the threshold or where the GM has ruled that circumstances make success impossible.

You are also ignoring the factor of degrees of success. You may succeed at a task with only a single success. Critical Success is only achieving 4 net hits on the test.

Drain, for example, is not a success test with a threshold. There is no success or failure. A Critical Success is, arguably, only 4 net hits which is far from ideal on a Drain Test against a high Force Spirit. The same could be argued about opposed tests.

And what happens when the Spirit counters with it's own Edge. What happens there?

+Quote Post
Cain
post May 18 2009, 12:53 AM
Post #21

Grand Master of Run-Fu

A test you cannot succeed at is one where you have insufficient dice to meet the threshold or where the GM has ruled that circumstances make success impossible.

Binding and Registering aren't one of those tests, though. You have dice, and with the potential of exploding 6's, you have a chance to succeed.

I've personally witnessed a PC summon and bind (and invoke!) a force 16 spirit, when I forgot about the sunset rule. It's be awfully petty to tell him he can't burn Edge when he rebinds the spirit. I mean, it's clearly not impossible-- he did it once, he can do it again.

And what happens when the Spirit counters with it's own Edge. What happens there?

I call GM cheese. NPC's burning Edge, except for HoG, is the ultimate in cheap and unfair GM tactics.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post May 18 2009, 01:45 AM
Post #22

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

QUOTE (Cain @ May 17 2009, 08:53 PM) *
I call GM cheese. NPC's burning Edge, except for HoG, is the ultimate in cheap and unfair GM tactics.

but it's not cheese when the players do it?

it smells rather like a male bovine critter deposited a load of excrement in the general vicinity of the above quoted statement.

+Quote Post
BlueMax
post May 18 2009, 01:55 AM
Post #23

Running Target

Member No.: 15,708

QUOTE (Jaid @ May 17 2009, 05:45 PM) *

it smells rather like a male bovine critter deposited a load of excrement in the general vicinity of the above quoted statement.

I will say this
There should be a fair, equitable system for when GMs burn or use Edge. Without such a system, the game merely boils down to favoritism.

I have fair system at my table: If it will totally screw the party, I use Edge.

BlueMax
/not lying
//makes them try to never rely on on action
/// I like it that way

+Quote Post
Shinobi Killfist
post May 18 2009, 02:48 AM
Post #24

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 5,872

while a force 18 bound spirit would be absurd spirits seem to get on the broken side past force 8, its just a matter of degree past that point. It would be rare IMO for anyone to be able to pull off binding really high force spirits on a regular basis. And I really don't care about the burnt edge issue. If a player wants to abuse things they will find ways to abuse things, deal with the player not the rule that works fine in most cases.

+Quote Post
Cain
post May 18 2009, 03:35 AM
Post #25

Grand Master of Run-Fu

QUOTE (Jaid @ May 17 2009, 06:45 PM) *

No, because it costs the players Karma to pull it off. They can't burn Edge forever, while the GM can.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:41 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.