Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A bit of clarification needed.
WyldKnight
post May 17 2009, 01:14 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,140

Note: This is only my second character, my last one being a technomancer, and I am fairly ignorant of most of the rules. The last character was for a PbP game which is going quite slowly while this one is for a game my cousin is running. Were all new to the system, trying something besides pathfinder 3.5, so were still trying to figure things out.

So I am trying to create a roguish, charismatic, gunslinger type character. I am running into a few road blocks however, mainly with rules and what kind of skills my concept would use.

First off I bought Krav Maga, got take aim as a free action, and then bought the maneuvers Iaijutsu and Watchful Guard. Now as I understand it you add the skill plus reaction to draw. Do you add things like specializations, adept powers, or reflex recorders? Also it says with Iaijutsu I can draw any gun with a reach of one or less, where does it list the reach of fire arms?

We are using the charisma x2 rules for contacts. I have charisma 4, 6 with tailored pheromones, and I was wondering does that bonus add itself to the extra points I get. We cant remember where we saw the rule so we cant look it up and see if it adds on.

Now for the skills I have so far

Influence Group 4
Long Arms (Sniper Rifles) 5
Pistols (Revolvers) 5
Perception (Visual) 4
Dodge (Ranged) 3
Unarmed Combat 3
Blades 2 (Knives)
Infiltration 3 (Urban)
Intimidation (thinking of changing this to palming) 3
Are there any other skills I would need? For some reason whenever I look at this list I feel like I am lacking something.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post May 17 2009, 01:16 AM
Post #2

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

QUOTE (WyldKnight @ May 16 2009, 08:14 PM) *
We are using the charisma x2 rules for contacts. I have charisma 4, 6 with tailored pheromones, and I was wondering does that bonus add itself to the extra points I get. We cant remember where we saw the rule so we cant look it up and see if it adds on.

This is a common house rule, not a rule from the book. It's common enough to be in some spreadsheet character generators.

+Quote Post
WyldKnight
post May 17 2009, 01:27 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Ohhh ok. Thanks for that. But what about the answer to the main part of the question.

I have charisma 4, 6 with tailored pheromones, and I was wondering does that bonus add itself to the extra points I get

+Quote Post
Andinel
post May 17 2009, 02:38 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,609

Tailored Pheromones doesn't apply directly to Charisma. Instead, it grants a bonus to all Social skill tests. So no, it would not count for extra points in this case.

+Quote Post
WyldKnight
post May 17 2009, 03:14 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Gotcha, thank you. Is the only way to truly raise charisma through magic?

I could still use an answer on the rest of my post.

+Quote Post
Chibu
post May 17 2009, 01:55 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,102

QUOTE (WyldKnight @ May 16 2009, 11:14 PM) *
Gotcha, thank you. Is the only way to truly raise charisma through magic?

I could still use an answer on the rest of my post.

Charisma (as far as I know...) can be raised like any other attribute, by paying karma after you start playing. Basically, it boils down to... Standing in front of a mirror and practicing your Winning Smile (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif) or more likely being in social situations and subconciously figuring things out which make you more charismatic. (Though you can use magic too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif) )

I'd love to help you, but I don't know enough about 4th ed to be of any help. So all you get is a blurb about charisma ^_^

+Quote Post
WyldKnight
post May 17 2009, 05:39 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Oh I should probably clear that up. I mean raise it past its maximum. The pheramones only help in social settings but from what I understand adepts and if a mage has the right spell can actually raise the stat. Is there no mundane way to get your charisma to 7-9 without being awakened?

+Quote Post
Ard3
post May 17 2009, 07:51 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,220

Exceptional Attribute, Metagenic Improvement and Genetic Optimization all increase the maximum. No ware that I know actually increases the value.

+Quote Post
WyldKnight
post May 18 2009, 06:54 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Thanks for the charsima clearing up but I need help with the quickdraw rules.

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post May 18 2009, 07:38 PM
Post #10

The Dragon Never Sleeps

"Th e character
may draw and use a single melee weapon, missile weapon, throwing
weapon or fi rearm of Reach 1 or less with a Simple Action. If
attacking with the weapon requires a Complex Action, he may still
draw and attack with a Complex Action."

I'm pretty sure the reach 1 criteria applies to the "melee weapon, missile weapon, throwing weapon" portion of that sentence.

Otherwise "A character may attempt to quick-draw a
pistol or pistol-sized weapon and immediately
fi re it by expending a Quick Draw action" applies from Quick Draw p. 137 SR4 (referenced by the Ialjutsu maneuver BTW)

One of the perils of such large conjunctions when trying to keep word count down.

+Quote Post
WyldKnight
post May 19 2009, 07:10 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Ahh ok,

so quick draw is weapon skill + reaction but do you add other things like specs or the implant that adds 1 die to any physical or combat skill? Sorry I forgot the name.

+Quote Post
ElFenrir
post May 19 2009, 07:15 PM
Post #12

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,337

Honestly, that's a solid skillset. You have your gun skills, and you didn't neglect some close combat(which many gunslingers tend to do for some reason.) You have Dodge, Perception, all the social skills and Infiltration. Honestly, that is a great skillset.

If I HAD to maybe change anything, I might stick with the Unarmed Combat(and get a bit of Bone lacing perhaps-its good for damage soak too so it has bonuses, and Ceramic Lacing is not detectable by MADs), ditch the Blades, toss 1 more point into Unarmed and pick up Pilot Ground Craft(Wheeled) 1(+2) with the 10 points.

Otherwise, those skills seem nice and solid.

+Quote Post
WyldKnight
post May 19 2009, 09:08 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

I actually got ceramic lacing for those exact reasons lol. Ya I took blades as a in case skill so I have no qualms about losing it for uping my unarmed and getting a pilot skill.

Currently I have 17 die for revolvers and sniper rifles with the specs. Of course 15 in the other guns. 10 in all the social skills except for a 9 in intimidation, more if you count the r6 emotitoy. 7/9 dodge. 8/10 perception, following Fenir's advice I dropped blades and now throw 11 unarmed die and 5/7 with a ground craft. Finally I have 10/12 infiltration.

Are these good for a chargen character? I'm not sure what dice rolls are average or better near the beginning.

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post May 19 2009, 09:36 PM
Post #14

The Dragon Never Sleeps

QUOTE (WyldKnight @ May 19 2009, 04:08 PM) *
Are these good for a chargen character? I'm not sure what dice rolls are average or better near the beginning.

Whatever is appropriate for your game is what's best. Only your GM and group can tell you the answer to that question.

+Quote Post
WyldKnight
post May 19 2009, 09:40 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by that question since well all use the same basic rules which include the usual thresholds already listed in the book. I guess an answer would be most of our beginning enemies will be around Prof. level 2 and a few at 3. Would this be enough die to keep me ahead of them or at least close.

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post May 19 2009, 10:54 PM
Post #16

The Dragon Never Sleeps

In one of my games primary dice pools of 12 - 14 are considered maximum for any member of the team.

In another game, primary dice pool size of 20 is standard.

If you play in the 12 pool game with 20 dice there will be some problems, and if you play in the 20 pool game with 12 dice, you have problems.

Dice pool size of 12 or 20 are both equally fun and valid ways to play.

I have no clue which way you and your group will play. Only you can find that out.

But if you ask here, you'll get answers, and they will all be wrong for you.

edit: I do offer the "One True Shadowrun 4A way" lecture at only 5000 per attendee for a 40 hour session. Visa and MC accepted.

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post May 19 2009, 10:56 PM
Post #17

The Dragon Never Sleeps

QUOTE (WyldKnight @ May 19 2009, 04:40 PM) *
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by that question since well all use the same basic rules which include the usual thresholds already listed in the book. I guess an answer would be most of our beginning enemies will be around Prof. level 2 and a few at 3. Would this be enough die to keep me ahead of them or at least close.

Professional Rating 2 NPC with 40 dice > Prof Rating 3 NPC with 2 dice

+Quote Post
ElFenrir
post May 19 2009, 11:51 PM
Post #18

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,337

*thinks again*

You know, you might be able to scrape up 10 points(perhaps Influence down to 3? Would still have 9 dice + the Furby bonus) to grab an Athletics Skill Group of 1. Any active character might find it handy to have Climbing, Running, and Gymnastics.

It's not an''OMG Must have'', especially since you have Dodge already(you can use Gymnastics Dodge if you have a good Melee skill, which you do),but it might be handy.

But all in all again, sounds solid. And yes, your GM can say which die pools are appropriate.

+Quote Post
deek
post May 19 2009, 11:56 PM
Post #19

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,814

SR4A suggests GMs cap dice pools at 20. So if your GM does that, then you know exactly what the top end is. You could probably hit that or come real close in a couple skills, and then you would be spending future karma on getting attributes and other skills up to that cap.

For my games, starting characters with a 14-16 dice pool are ahead of the curve.

+Quote Post
Meatbag
post May 20 2009, 11:47 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,603

QUOTE (WyldKnight @ May 17 2009, 05:39 PM) *
Oh I should probably clear that up. I mean raise it past its maximum. The pheramones only help in social settings but from what I understand adepts and if a mage has the right spell can actually raise the stat. Is there no mundane way to get your charisma to 7-9 without being awakened?

There isn't any 'Ware to improve it, but there are mundane drugs.

Core:

Novacoke: +1 CHA, +1 PER, +1 REA, Pain Tolerance 1. (10-BOD hours)

Arsenal:

eX: +1 CHA, +1 PER -1 LOG (8-BOD hours)

Red Mescaline: +1 CHA, +2 PER, +1 WIL, -1 REA, Disorientation. (18-BOD) hours.

Pixie Dust: +1 CHA, +1 PER, High Pain Tolerance 1, Memory Loss. (1D6 minutes).

Presumably, lowered inhibitions + unflappable calm = Charisma boost.

On the character itself..That's a pretty solid loadout, actually, but a few notes:

You can, if you're so inclined, buy cyber-blades of some sort and lose Unarmed Combat, though this may not fit your concept.

+Quote Post
WyldKnight
post May 20 2009, 08:21 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Oh I see what you’re saying. Well on average the opposition is throwing 7-10 in the beginning from the practice match we had to see if everything we were using was to our liking. With those numbers I guess my number is fairly good. When I talked to my GM about it he said there's no dice limit in place but he may put one if people start pulling insane amounts. Right now the potential limit is 25 but since no ones pool is near that (except mine) it’s not that big of an issue. He said my pool was great, its one of the higher ones all around and I have the most rounded build.

In our practice match it was a rescue mission to get back a secretaries son who was being held hostage for info. I started the negotiations and was able to get them to release the girl but a rival gang stormed in and killed the others and were about to kill us when I started trying to convince them not to. It almost worked but when things started going downhill I sent a message to our automatics adept and our Minotaur tank to quick draw with me to start the fight. I bought the successes and with my burst fire revolver took the first guy out in one shot, the adept took the other with his machine pistol, and the Minotaur took another with a throwing axe to the face. Then the real right started and my character did just fine.

All and all I'm pretty happy with it. I can talk my way into and out of things, sneak around, and shoot the crap out of everything. We have one last chance to change things and once again fefnir I didn't think of that and it may be useful, but I’m on the fence on whether I should do it or not. MB, I hadn't thought of the drugs route, thanks for that. I was thinking about that but I may keep unarmed since I have a story in place where my character learns more martial arts from our melee adept and in turn creates his own fighting style reminiscent of the Grammaton Monks from Equilibrium. Already talked to my GM about it and the time to create plus the increased karma cost evens out the perks I get. The main one is the ability to use my pistols as an extension of myself basically adding damage to unarmed attacks so unarmed is a must. I may take blades later though and add some under barrel knives to them so I can use my blades and pistol skill without having to switch weapons. Best part is we house ruled that under barrel blades on pistols also count as a weight if the blade/attachment for the blade is large enough and for me it will be.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:59 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.