Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Augmentation no-brainers
Tanegar
post May 19 2009, 03:07 AM
Post #1

Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,731

My copy of Augmentation arrived today; fascinating stuff. One item in particular leapt out at me: the cyber safety system detailed on page 40. A (relatively) low-cost item that keeps enemies from picking up my guns and using them against me, AND makes my smartlink unhackable? I'd have to be out of my shadowrunning mind NOT to plunk down the 350 nuyen.

Are there any other pieces of augmentation that, barring other considerations, you'd have to be insane not to take?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fix-it
post May 19 2009, 03:24 AM
Post #2

Creating a god with his own hands

Member No.: 3,364

flare comp and some sort of night vision, assuming your meta type does not already have it.

+Quote Post
Octopiii
post May 19 2009, 03:45 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,758

Radar Sensors: Takes up 2 capacity, allows you to see through walls, invisible critters, and detect cyberware. It's ultrasound on steroids.

Platelet Factories: They add so much to your survivability, 25k is worth it.

+Quote Post
Meatbag
post May 19 2009, 04:06 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,603

Some kind of IP booster, obviously. If you're going to be in combat, you need these.

Synthicardium. +Rating to ALL Athletics skills, including the ever-popular Gymnastics Dodge? Thanks much!

Simsense Booster (Augmentation) and Accelerator (Unwired) are no-brainers for any hacker. They're expensive, but.. FIVE IPs in hot-sim!

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post May 19 2009, 06:03 AM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,665

QUOTE (Octopiii @ May 18 2009, 10:45 PM) *
Radar Sensors: Takes up 2 capacity, allows you to see through walls, invisible critters, and detect cyberware. It's ultrasound on steroids.

Quick question for everyone here: If you put a Radar Sensor in your hand, do you have to point your hand in the direction you want to "see" or does it work no matter what your hand's position?

+Quote Post
Octopiii
post May 19 2009, 06:29 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,758

The Radar Sensor has a signal range of 2. Other than that, I imagine it acts like a commlink (omnidirectional).

+Quote Post
Glyph
post May 19 2009, 06:30 AM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

Some kind of IP booster - all have their good and bad points. Wired reflexes are cheap, synaptic booster is expensive but very Essence-friendly, and move-by-wire incorporates skillwires and really boosts Reaction as well as improving dodge.

Smartlink mod, preferably in cybereyes. For a street sam, cybereyes, period.

Muscle toner.

Reflex recorder.

Radar sensor or ultrasound sensor. Radar is generally better, although ultrasound has its advantages too.

Attention coprocessor: 3

+Quote Post
OneTrikPony
post May 19 2009, 06:45 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,299

radar sensor stretches physics a little but the ultrasound sensor is really kinda dumb. If you do the math at 300 meters you have a 1 second delay in the info you're getting. Speed of sound just works that way.

one second is a LONG time. a bad ass sammi could have shot you twice before you even see him.

+Quote Post
The Jake
post May 19 2009, 08:23 AM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Member No.: 872

I try to be cyber agnostic, but I'm partial to Tailored Pheremones, Cerebral Boosters, Nanohives and Genetic Optimisation.

- J.

+Quote Post
Larme
post May 19 2009, 08:53 AM
Post #10

Shooting Target

Member No.: 15,430

QUOTE (Tanegar @ May 18 2009, 11:07 PM) *
My copy of Augmentation arrived today; fascinating stuff. One item in particular leapt out at me: the cyber safety system detailed on page 40. A (relatively) low-cost item that keeps enemies from picking up my guns and using them against me, AND makes my smartlink unhackable? I'd have to be out of my shadowrunning mind NOT to plunk down the 350 nuyen.

Are there any other pieces of augmentation that, barring other considerations, you'd have to be insane not to take?

I've never once, in any campaign, had my own gun used against me. 350 yen isn't a lot, but if you get 0 benefit, it's a waste. The fact is, either the enemy has their own guns and they shoot you, or you shoot them first. The situation where your gun is taken from you is pretty rare. And the only time it would be used against you is when the enemy doesn't have a gun of their own handy (or some even more effective way to kill you), which is rarer.

With Runner's Companion out, I'm finding it almost impossible to resist Muscle Toner 4 plus Restricted Gear quality. That can take your agility 5 to an agility 9, which is incredible for any combat character, and it doesn't break the bank or use up all your essence.

Suprathyroid gland + Restricted Gear is also a hell of a good buy. And it's always fun to play characters who eat like pigs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

In terms of vision, eye lights + lowlight is the winning combo. It lets you see with perfect clarity in full darkness. You still want to add on another mod or two in order to have some way of seeing through glare, smoke, or mist, but darkness is by far the biggest concern.

Fortunately, however, I think there are very few no-brainers in SR4. Most of the other stuff mentioned is great, but it's not a "duh" kind of thing. Even muscle toner isn't a necessity, just a very good buy. The real no-brainer is eye-light + low light because it's cheap and negates all lighting. Hard to see a downside to it... But even that isn't 100% required since you can always wear lowlight glasses and put a lowlight flashlight on your gun.

+Quote Post
Dakka Dakka
post May 19 2009, 09:10 AM
Post #11

Prime Runner

Member No.: 16,582

QUOTE (Larme @ May 19 2009, 10:53 AM) *
Hard to see a downside to it... But even that isn't 100% required since you can always wear lowlight glasses and put a lowlight flashlight on your gun.
Downside? Your walking around in darkness with a flashlight! Almost as good as having a big "shoot me first" sign on your head. I admit the Armor spell is even better, but thato combo comes in close second.

+Quote Post
Larme
post May 19 2009, 02:43 PM
Post #12

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ May 19 2009, 05:10 AM) *
Downside? Your walking around in darkness with a flashlight! Almost as good as having a big "shoot me first" sign on your head. I admit the Armor spell is even better, but thato combo comes in close second.

Nope, both eyelights and flashlights use polarized beams, which means they're invisible unless you look dead on directly at the source when it's pointing at you.

+Quote Post
FlashbackJon
post May 19 2009, 02:46 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 13,962

QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ May 19 2009, 04:10 AM) *

According to the book, the low-light flashlight provides no benefit to characters without that type of vision, so it's at the very least less severe that slapping a standard light on there.

+Quote Post
Dakka Dakka
post May 19 2009, 02:50 PM
Post #14

Prime Runner

What does polarization have to do with directionality of the beam?

Polarization only means that the electric and magnetic fields oscillate in a certain direction. They still are always perpendicular to the direction of the beam.

If the beam was highly directional, it wouldn't serve well for illuminating an area. Only a point would be illuminated.

+Quote Post
Zaranthan
post May 19 2009, 03:58 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,949

QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ May 19 2009, 09:50 AM) *
If the beam was highly directional, it wouldn't serve well for illuminating an area. Only a point would be illuminated.

That's kind of what flashlights do. If you want to light a room, you use one of those car battery-size floodlights.

+Quote Post
ICPiK
post May 19 2009, 04:10 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,909

"Hey Tank, I heard something over there chum." "Yep see those 2 lights must be security, fire a warning shot between em." LMAO

+Quote Post
Larme
post May 19 2009, 05:59 PM
Post #17

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ May 19 2009, 09:50 AM) *
What does polarization have to do with directionality of the beam?

Polarization only means that the electric and magnetic fields oscillate in a certain direction. They still are always perpendicular to the direction of the beam.

Exactly, they're highly directional, polarized beams. I can't explain the science to you, I can only tell you what RAW says. They create partial light only for the place where they're pointed, and then low-light vision gives you 0 penalty for partial light, so you illuminate whatever you look at directly. That doesn't mean the whole area is illuminated, but per RAW, the penalty would be 0 I think. The GM might decide to impose a penalty based on how you're only seeing with a flashlight, but AFAIK there's no hint in the RAW that such a penalty is required.

+Quote Post
Fresno Bob
post May 19 2009, 06:16 PM
Post #18

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 4,252

Why not just get thermo vision in your eyes and not have to bother with low-light flashlights and crap like that?

+Quote Post
Zaranthan
post May 19 2009, 06:18 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,949

Because eye-lights and low-light vision have no modifier for full darkness (and let you see colors), while thermo is -2 (worse if there's a HVAC vent nearby).

+Quote Post
Dakka Dakka
post May 19 2009, 09:38 PM
Post #20

Prime Runner

Unless you are a mage all this eye stuff doesn't need to be 'ware. Glasses/goggles also work fine.

+Quote Post
Larme
post May 19 2009, 09:47 PM
Post #21

Shooting Target

The reason eyelights are a no-brainer is that you can't get them in goggles or glasses. For everything else, you're correct, they're cheaper and just as effective as cyberware, the only disadvantage being that they are easier to remove and you don't wear them to bed and such. I even played with a guy wearing both glasses and contacts, which seems like an obvious choice, but I'd never considered it as a way to get around the avail limits on non-cyber vision wear. For eyelights though, the only way to replicate them is with a flashlight. That means you need to have your gun out, or a flashlight in one hand, to get the same effect that eyelights would give you just for looking at stuff normally.

+Quote Post
Dakka Dakka
post May 19 2009, 09:52 PM
Post #22

Prime Runner

And you couldn't tape your flashlight to a helmet? or even easier, buy something like this?

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post May 19 2009, 10:03 PM
Post #23

Old Man Jones

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,699

It would seem that if eyelights actually worked as advertised, tight beams that only illuminate the spot you're actively focusing on, your peripheral vision should be still somewhat 'in the dark', as it were.

You'd still have low-light, but the eyelight illumination should only apply to the center of your visual field.

+Quote Post
Kerenshara
post May 20 2009, 12:59 AM
Post #24

Shooting Target

Member No.: 17,166

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ May 19 2009, 01:03 AM) *
Quick question for everyone here: If you put a Radar Sensor in your hand, do you have to point your hand in the direction you want to "see" or does it work no matter what your hand's position?

QUOTE (Octopiii @ May 19 2009, 01:29 AM) *
The Radar Sensor has a signal range of 2. Other than that, I imagine it acts like a commlink (omnidirectional).

Well, if it's high enough power, omnidirectional would work... of course that would require enough microwave energy to successfully pass THROUGH your body, go a reasonable distance, score a return off another object, then the ECHO would have to pass back THROUGH your body and be processed by the unit.

Radar is, and has always been, directional relative to the antenna. They can make Advanced Electronically Steered Arrays (AESA) where the individual elements can steer their pencil beams around, but there is a limit to how far out of azimuth the beam can be bent. If you want a really good idea about this, look at either of the US Navy's AEGIS equipped surface combatants: the Ticonderoga guided missile cruiser and the Arleigh Burke guided missile destroyer. Both ships have a set of four planar arrays aranged at 90 degrees to one another about the hull and superstructure of the ship to generate a full 360 degrees of visibility. No amount of 6th world techno-magic can change basic physics. I suppose if you put the thing in a cap, it could work, but then you're just putting a series of individual dispersed emitters and receivers around a circumfrence instead of in a series of panels. While it is true that radio energy emitted from the antenna of a radar does propogate outwards, more modern beams are able to keep that propogation to a bare minimum, hence the modern Low Probability of Intercept radars on the F/A-22A Raptor and the forthcoming F/A-35 Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter. They are able to keep the beams very tight and respond to a much weaker echo, meaning that they are detectable by ESM/ELINT systems at much shorter ranges than previously possible.

If mounted in a cyberlimb, you could get about 120 degrees of scan safely AWAY FROM THE BODY. Keep in mind the penetrating radars in the books are basically overpowered microwaves. A cyberskull would get you 360 degrees, but the density in any aspect would be more limited due to the limited cross-section of the skull available for the array in any single degree of radius, where as the whole of a forearm, for example, could focus on a single area. Think of it like having hundreds of VGA resolution webcams as a head band, as compared to a 16 megapixel camera on the arm.

Oh, and the old rule of thumb with radar still applies, even using LPI technologies: the enemy can detect that a radar (and they can determine frequency, pulse rate and scan rate to get a good guess what model you're using) is in use long before that radar can tell you there's somebody out there to hear it.

Sorry, just thought I should toss that out.

+Quote Post
Larme
post May 20 2009, 02:20 AM
Post #25

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ May 19 2009, 04:52 PM) *
And you couldn't tape your flashlight to a helmet? or even easier, buy something like this?

Sure, you'd just get a -2 doofus penalty to all your dice pools (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:32 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.