Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Flechette Ammo rules descripency, GMs at war over Flechette
JackWill
post Jan 18 2004, 02:57 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,806

Ok here we go.. OK we got a game running now. its a n00b training game.. and the character line up is..

Human Decker/wheel man- Me a GM
human Combat Decker -Friend a GM
Dwarf Demo Expert - N00b
Troll Stealth Vending Machine - N00b 2nd game
Razor Child - N00b 2nd game
Troll Sparwl Ganger- Green behind the ears, but gets the rules

Ok well after the game we had a descripentcy over Flechette ammo.. when somebody used shotgun shot to blast a baby ganger into paste.

Now.. here we go.. what the rules say.. is Flechette Ammo stages up damage when used on unarmored targets, but agianst armored targets teh fair less affective double the impact rating and use which is highter. Dermal armor negates the staging affect.

Now does this mean that if i use a T250 with a code of 10S with shot 10D if i shot some one sportin an armor vest with plate (4/3).. is it 10D with armor of 4/6 or 10S with armor of 4/6?

We know that what ever the DM says goes.. but i need to get some insite on this in my futre games!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post Jan 18 2004, 03:53 AM
Post #2

Senior GM

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 4,442

The T250, using shotgun ammo (not slug), against an armored target, does 10S with the target getting the higher of the ballistic armor or double the impact armor. In your example, the 4/3 armor counts for a 6 point reduction in power, exactly as you suggest. Against an unarmored target its base damage is 10D.

Against a target with dermal armor use the Armored Target rule, even if it's not wearing any other armor.

Using Slug ammo, against any target, would be 10S with ballistic armor applying.

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Jan 18 2004, 03:56 AM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

As a house rule alternate, leave the staged up power (only stage down vs trolls, dermal plating, etc) to make it an actual useful option of what to put in your shotgun.

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post Jan 18 2004, 04:08 AM
Post #4

Senior GM

JackWill, one other thing to remember is that shotgun ammo spreads as it moves through the air. This lowers the Target Number for hitting someone, lowers the power of the attack, and also lets one blast hit multiple targets. You've probably already seen this on p. 117 in the main book.

When I teach new players, I suggest they stay away from shotgun ammo till they've learned basic combat. The complexity of manual choke settings, cyberlinked choke settings, multiple targets, targets behind targets, staging up against some targets but not others, varying affect of armor, and the different affect of smartlink or laser make this very complex for a new player.

+Quote Post
Tziluthi
post Jan 18 2004, 06:49 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,112

Ah, kind of off topic, but does anyone decrease the price, SI or availability of shot shells to represent the fact that they are far more common than flechette rounds would be?

+Quote Post
Diesel
post Jan 18 2004, 08:10 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,955

I think given the setting slugs would as common, if not moreso than shot rounds.

Not so many people hunting, far more security, paranormal animals, and armored target uses.

+Quote Post
Tziluthi
post Jan 18 2004, 01:14 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Not to be rude, but I was talking about shot shells being more common than flechette rounds, as opposed to shot shells being more common than slugs. But I'll take that as a 'no' none the less.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Jan 18 2004, 02:01 PM
Post #8

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

QUOTE (Tziluthi)
does anyone decrease the price, SI or availability of shot shells to represent the fact that they are far more common than flechette rounds would be?

I was certain that was already in the rules, so I checked, and it isn't. So my answer would have to be yes. Shot rounds are the same price, same SI (1) and same Availability (varies) as slug rounds in my games.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jan 18 2004, 03:01 PM
Post #9

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

shot rounds are flechette rounds. in SR, at any rate.

+Quote Post
Tziluthi
post Jan 18 2004, 03:56 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Yes, but discounting a sudden loss of shot-producing technology, I doubt shot-shells would get as expensive as 10 dollars per shell, even by 2063. So even though they count as flechettes for rules of damage, I would suggest that shot-shells would be less expensive than their high-tech, flechette counterparts. Thus my earlier question.

Thanks for your input, Austere.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jan 18 2004, 04:19 PM
Post #11

Immortal Elf

oh, okay. i thought you were talking just about shotguns. jesus christ, that is stupid.

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post Jan 18 2004, 04:22 PM
Post #12

Senior GM

QUOTE (mfb @ Jan 18 2004, 07:01 AM)
shot rounds are flechette rounds. in SR, at any rate.

Not exactly. Flechette rounds have small, sharp metal fragments. Shot rounds have small, round metal pieces. Flechette rounds hit one target. Shot rounds spread out and may hit multiple targets. Smartgun links have full benefit when firing flechette rounds, and at most a bonus of -1 with shot rounds. Laser sights and smart goggles help when firing flechette rounds, but not with shot rounds.

However, you are correct in the limited sense that "To determine the damage done by shot rounds, apply the flechette ammunication rules to the Damage Code indicated by the weapon" (SR3 p. 117) and also that a shotgun damage code that been staged up with the flechette ammunication rules would be marked with an (f), as in 10D(f).

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jan 18 2004, 04:31 PM
Post #13

Immortal Elf

hum. good point. which, honestly, means you can argue that shot rounds count as normal ammo, for price and availability. that makes a lot more sense.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Jan 18 2004, 05:20 PM
Post #14

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

QUOTE (OurTeam)
Flechette rounds have small, sharp metal fragments.

That, too, is arguable. I know that SR3 p. 116 says so, but such ammunition would be utterly useless in combat.

QUOTE (mfb)
you can argue that shot rounds count as normal ammo, for price and availability.

Yeah, whether it can be argued or not, it makes more sense.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Jan 18 2004, 07:31 PM
Post #15

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

Real flechettes would be a bunch of steel needles flying through the air. Don't make the mistake of thinking that SR's use of the word flechette has even the smallest resemblance to reality. Think of flechette ammo as frangible ammunition (or shot, in the case of a shotgun), and you'll be much better off. It's retarded, but welcome to canon.

Incidentally, with shotguns, I'd suggest counting flechette and slugs as normal for pricing and availability.

+Quote Post
Shockwave_IIc
post Jan 18 2004, 07:49 PM
Post #16

Shooting Target

Member No.: 5,499

Something else about the flechette rulss that gets me a bit is this. How much armour do really need to have for it stop the damage lvl increase?

Taking the rules to the letter you just need some leather trousers (thats pants to you americans (which is underware to us)). Now that seems a little wrong, surly you would need little more than that.

Looks at this, Mr thinks he's a smartass (Mr ThaS) and Mr smartass (Mr S) are preping for a run. They both go out to get the various bits they need.

Mr ThaS comes back sits on the couch and spends the next 10 mins trying to get comfortable due to his lovely new dermal plating. But thinking himself all clever cos his now not effected by the Damage upgrade of Flechette rounds. But he is 6000 :nuyen: and .5 :cyber: out of pocket.

Then just as he starts thinking he really smart for his choice in walks in Mr S in his swancky new Leather Trousers and Matrix style Jacket, He is also immune to the Flechette damage increase. But Mr S is only 750 :nuyen: out of pocket (he likes his real threads), not only that but he has an armour rating of 4 to reduce the poewr by!!

Seems a little wrong (well to me at least)

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jan 18 2004, 07:57 PM
Post #17

Immortal Elf

yep.

+Quote Post
moosegod
post Jan 18 2004, 08:01 PM
Post #18

Running Target

Member No.: 5,818

Oh no, not this discussion again.

+Quote Post
Shockwave_IIc
post Jan 18 2004, 08:06 PM
Post #19

Shooting Target

Ok Moosegod anychance of pointing me in the direction of the thread where it was last discussed? also was there a general consence's of the topic?

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post Jan 18 2004, 08:21 PM
Post #20

Running Target

Member No.: 4,323

I'm going to have to side with Crusher Bob on this one... Keep the staged up damage code to make flechette ammo (and, for that matter, dermal plating) worthwhile.

Something I just randomly thought of: Both ballistic and impact armor affect flechette ammo. Rather than doing the whole " normal ballistic or double impact" shuffle, why not just add ballistic and impact ratings to determine a total "vs flechette" armor rating? This would help balance out the retaining of the staged up DL, and it makes a decent amount of sense to me. Are there any particularly obvious reasons I've missed to *not* do this? (note that this is a random thought and doesnt represent anything I have either carefully deliberated on or used in my games)

+Quote Post
moosegod
post Jan 18 2004, 09:22 PM
Post #21

Running Target

Member No.: 5,818

No, I was refering to the "flechettes are stupid" debate, Shockwave.

Sorry.

+Quote Post
JackWill
post Jan 18 2004, 09:57 PM
Post #22

Target

Member No.: 5,806

well thanks.. so i got this...

10D versus no armor
10S agianst anything with armor.. so just sporting some balistic clothes can mean Serious or Deadly

Well the guy with the shotgun.. wanted the spread.. he wanted to just go into a room and blast and take everything out.. but hes using and Enfield with BF 99% of the time! I just used the t250 because of its simplicity.

Well that makes flechette ammo useless to a runner. I mean when have you shot at something that wasn't wearing armor.. KK my character and SJ the other character we are the other GMs we don't wear body armor unless WE ARE ON A RUN!

We have no mage power tho... i susspect us getting nailed by a spirit! :S

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Jan 18 2004, 10:13 PM
Post #23

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

Seriously, have any of you considered how incredibly powerful leaving the damage increase on armored targets is? If you do that, I'll never load anything but flechettes. Take, for example, a heavy pistol against a security guard with a body of 4 and an armored jacket (5/3). A normal round will punch through with a power of 4M. With four dice to resist (ignore combat pool), he'll stage that down to light fairly reliably. A flechette round would punch through with a power of 3S, which may average out as only slightly less likely to be staged down to light, but has the added bonus of simply overwhelming characters with low body by requiring too many successes to stage down, and, furthermore, tearing anything without armor to pieces. If you want to set a limit, leave the damage at normal for anything with more than one point of impact or anything with a point of ballistic.

Shot is about the only thing that makes any sense for not staging the damage down with armor, and that's only because it is a cloud of fragments before impact and not after.

+Quote Post
Shockwave_IIc
post Jan 18 2004, 10:39 PM
Post #24

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Arethusa)
If you want to set a limit, leave the damage at normal for anything with more than one point of impact or anything with a point of ballistic.

Personally i was thinking that A total armour value of say 5 (ballistic plus impact) (or a single rating of 4 or higher) would be needed, Just so you could rule out clothing that has an armour value as opposed to armour that happens to be clothing.

Example of armour that would stop the damage increase:
FFBA lvl3
Industrious Line coveralls (both types)
Rapid Transit Heavy jumpsuit
Secure Ultra Vest.
All Security armour and Hardened Military armours

Examples of armour that Wouldn't stop the damage increase.
FFBA lvl2
Real Leather
Full camo suit (without jacket)
Secure clothing

These are all nothing more than "stage 1" brainstorming

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post Jan 18 2004, 11:00 PM
Post #25

Running Target

Member No.: 4,323

Lets pretend we are using the optional rule I made up.

GM Goon 1 is packing a Defiance T-250, loaded with shot or flechette (base damage 10Df) He has a shotgun skill of 4, and 4 combat pool

Average Joe, an average joe, is wearing an armored jacket. He has 3's in all of his stats except body (he has a 4 in body -- he exercises regularly), giving him a combat pool of 4.

GM Goon 1 shoots at him 1 time, using all of his combat pool. He gets the average result of 4 successes, staging the damage to 2 above deadly... ouch.

Average Joe, adding his ballistic and impact armor ratings to a total of 8, has a tn of 2. He rolls all the dice he can, 8, generating an average result of 7 successes. He is seriously hurt, but he survives and runs away

After spending some time in the hospital to recover, Average Joe is waiting for a taxi when he is approached by GM Goon 2.

GM Goon 2 is packing a Defiance T-250, loaded with slugs (Base 10S). He has the same skills as GM Goon 1. When GM Goon 2 shoots at AJ, he generates the same number of successes, staging the damage to one above deadly.

This time, Average Joe has a TN of 5 to resist the damage. Rolling his 8 dice, he only generates 3 successes... He dies.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:01 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.