Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gift Certificate Oddity
Muspellsheimr
post Jun 6 2009, 09:27 PM
Post #1

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,706

So, I just thought I would post this for everyone's amusement.

I currently have a gift certificate which, on the bottom reads:

REDEEMABLE FOR CASH IF OVER 80 YEARS OLD AND ACCOMPANIED BY BOTH PARENTS

Does anyone else see anything wrong with that?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Heath Robinson
post Jun 6 2009, 09:35 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 15,736

Looks, to me, like a pair of botches. The first is clearly a mishearing of "Eighteen" as "Eighty" (not too difficult given some regional accents) and the second is a brainfart which inserted the "and" over the far more reasonable "or".

+Quote Post
ludomastro
post Jun 7 2009, 01:41 AM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 8,297

Or it is a somewhat humorous, somewhat sarcastic statement meaning that you simply can't redeem it for cash. When I lived in Mississippi, there was an excellent restaurant that had two signs regarding personal checks:

"You may use a personal check for an amount up to USD 50 with a deposit of USD 100."

The other read:

"Of course you can use a personal check. Provided that you are over eighty, have an original copy of your birth certificate, are accompanied by your mother and can provide character references."

Point being, it may well mean what it says.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 10:53 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.