Reply to this topicStart new topic
> More successes with low skills
Xirces
post Jan 19 2004, 04:34 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,046

Does anyone have a good, simple, unbalancing house-rule on increasing the number of successes for low skill characters?

The situation I'm looking at is where Joe has a skill of 2 or 3, but wants/needs (for whatever reason) 4 successes. Currently, even with a TN of 2 a skill of 2 is never going to achieve 3 successes and that doesn't seem entirely right to me.

I saw a method once where for each die that came up double the base TN was treated as an additional success - in this example a 4 would count as 2 successes, an 8 as 3, a 16 as 4 etc...

(As an aside, this would also have the advantage of meaning that someone with very low skill has at least a small chance of staging up damage in combat)

Something like that would be good - but it would quickly get unmanageable with greater numbers of dice and there are certain situations where I probably wouldn;t want it to apply (although I can't think of any it seems likely there would be).

Any thoughts?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Jan 19 2004, 04:50 PM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

I give an additional success for every 6 by which a roll exceeds the TN. With a TN of 2, 8 would count as 2 successes, 14 as 3, 20 as 4, etc. This applies to all tests in my games (at least I can't think of any tests that it wouldn't apply to).

I don't like multipliers, so I always use addition/subtraction where possible. I've concluded that they are easier to do when very tired or slightly intoxicated or both.

+Quote Post
Diesel
post Jan 19 2004, 05:01 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,955

I do it for every 10 the die exceeds it by, making it extremely unlikely but still possible, as every now and again people will make those madass twelve+ rolls. But not usually. :D

+Quote Post
Sphynx
post Jan 19 2004, 05:30 PM
Post #4

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 3,437

Simplest rule is to let a success be a success.

Seriously, aside from certain combat and magic situations (both where you have some pool that can apply) and cybersurgery rules, the skill system isn't intended on needing multiple successes. Multiple successes just make your completion of the task that much faster/better. 1-success is enough is the best rule (and it's Canon. :P)

Sphynx

+Quote Post
Shockwave_IIc
post Jan 19 2004, 05:36 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 5,499

Actually with the exception of combat. The next most frequent and needed place for multiple success is perception. (sometimes i feel it's more important then combat)

[EDIT]
ettiquette tests in the legwork of published adventures[/EDIT]

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Jan 19 2004, 05:48 PM
Post #6

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Shockwave_IIc)
The next most frequent and needed place for multiple success is perception.

This rule has in fact come up most often in spellcasting -- resisting spells and resisting Drain. For example, it allows average Intelligence people to spot guys with low-Force Invisibility with lots of successes in some situations. It forces the players to be a bit more careful with their Invisible characters when there's still the possibility that someone might spot them.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jan 19 2004, 06:07 PM
Post #7

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

I typically give an extra success for every 12 the rolled total is higher than the TN. I have a friend who is toying with the idea of giving an automatic karma point to anyone who rolls over a 24.

~J

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Jan 19 2004, 06:11 PM
Post #8

Chrome to the Core

Member No.: 5,715

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
I typically give an extra success for every 12 the rolled total is higher than the TN. I have a friend who is toying with the idea of giving an automatic karma point to anyone who rolls over a 24.

~J

Too bad he isn't my GM. My group is known to have the Blessed Dice Edge for each player at least once a game.

Blessed Dice (6): Every so often, one die comes up with a roll of at least 25. This usually only happens once per game, but is known to happen twice or thrice.

I don't think we know what our Flaws are to counter those six points. :D

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Jan 19 2004, 06:16 PM
Post #9

Great Dragon

Every 1296th die will come up as 25 or more, so to get lots of Karma in such a game, just do a lot of menial tasks with a high skill. You'll get at least a few bonus karma per game in the long run.

+Quote Post
spotlite
post Jan 19 2004, 06:17 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,752

I've seen plenty of examples in printed adventures (contacts, especially) where one success just won't cut it and may lead to failure or innacurate results.

+Quote Post
Xirces
post Jan 19 2004, 06:30 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,046

The main areas I'd want to use it are combat, perception, B/R, Etiquette and healing. If someone has a skill of 1 and is attempting a BR task with a time of 1 hour, then they either succeed and take an hour or fail completely. Is that right? At least with a rule like this there's a possibility they could do it quicker...

+Quote Post
moosegod
post Jan 19 2004, 06:31 PM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 5,818

By the rules, yes he either succeeds or takes an hour.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jan 19 2004, 06:56 PM
Post #13

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

The karma for +24 thing was dependent on player cooperation, as we did in fact think of making tests for everything under the sun. Furthermore, for anything someone is rolling four or less dice on, they have at least an equal chance of Rule-of-1ing it.

~J

+Quote Post
Talia Invierno
post Jan 19 2004, 07:03 PM
Post #14

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,689

Granted, we've added a Social Pool option, but shouldn't the existing pools be adequate for potential staging for most other tests? And if more successes are needed than can be rolled with the skill + appropriate pool, well, there's always room for personal improvement.
- Kagetenshi

Although I do like this one, and may petition for us to adopt it 8) Us, we've generally gone more the Ghostbuster RPG (ghost die) route: exceptional successes, quirky successes.

+Quote Post
Diesel
post Jan 19 2004, 08:00 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,955

Social pool...?, and damn Kag, my group wants that now.

+Quote Post
Talia Invierno
post Jan 19 2004, 08:07 PM
Post #16

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,689

IN + CH / 2 , for use with any CH-based skill.

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Jan 19 2004, 10:23 PM
Post #17

Ain Soph Aur

Member No.: 600

We use double successes (not always, depends how generous I feel), but any 1s negate these extra successes. Works pretty well.

Of course, if you want a "good, simple, unbalancing house-rule", I suggest you triple the result of the roll and use that as the number of successes generated . :P

+Quote Post
Rev
post Jan 19 2004, 10:30 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,034

QUOTE (moosegod)
By the rules, yes he either succeeds or takes an hour.

With many b/r tests the player can try again, taking another hour at the same or an increased target number right?

If I am remembering that correctly it is possible to succede after a period of time longer than the base (with multiple attempts) so even a 1 skill person can have more than two outcomes.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Jan 19 2004, 11:32 PM
Post #19

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

If your character needs more successes, (s)he probably shouldn't be attempting the feat.

Or hedge your bets with gadgets, gizmos and gear to better enhance your chances.

Alternatively, you can adapt the "take 20" rule from (ack spit) d20.

-Siege

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jan 19 2004, 11:36 PM
Post #20

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

i typically allow characters to spend karma to permanently raise their skills. i'm known as a pretty generous gm, though.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Jan 19 2004, 11:38 PM
Post #21

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

QUOTE (mfb)
i typically allow characters to spend karma to permanently raise their skills. i'm known as a pretty generous gm, though.

Ya know, I'm looking really hard for those <sarcasm> tags...:grinbig:

-Siege

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post Jan 19 2004, 11:56 PM
Post #22

Senior GM

Member No.: 4,442

When it is important, a character can of course use Karma Pool to give additional dice to a roll, or can "burn" Karma Pool permanently for additional successes.

+Quote Post
GoldenAri
post Jan 20 2004, 12:06 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,935

If you've got 3 dice and need 4 successes use your karma pool. That's what it's there for. Now I don't mean burn points for automatic successes, just buy extra dice. I've never understood why so many players are averse to this. You can buy extra dice at a one to one ratio and it comes back at the end of the scene.

+Quote Post
Shockwave_IIc
post Jan 20 2004, 12:07 AM
Post #24

Shooting Target

Member No.: 5,499

QUOTE (GoldenAri)
it comes back at the end of the scene.

Only if your Gm lets it. Frequently you get it back at the end of the run.

+Quote Post
GoldenAri
post Jan 20 2004, 12:09 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,935

I do have a question about the social pool. When would you ever have to split your dice? Why not just give everyone bonus dice to a CHA linked skills equal to the pool?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 01:06 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.