Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Some Matrix Questions
Socinus
post Jun 15 2009, 02:53 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,881

-What is a botnet and how do I create one?

-How exactly are Agents used, carried, and deployed?

-How difficult is it to hack cyberware and what exactly can you make it do once you hack it?

-Is it possible to create your own programs to do specific things?

-How are Nanites acquired and deployed?

-What are some of the indispensables for a hacker? (Aside from a commlink)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Jun 15 2009, 03:11 AM
Post #2

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 8,314

QUOTE (Socinus @ Jun 14 2009, 09:53 PM) *

-How exactly are Agents used, carried, and deployed?

-How difficult is it to hack cyberware and what exactly can you make it do once you hack it?

-Is it possible to create your own programs to do specific things?

-What are some of the indispensables for a hacker? (Aside from a commlink)

Short, snarky answer: p. 352, SR4A

Long, helpful answer:
- p. 88 and p. 100, Unwired

- p. 234, SR4A

- Do a search on this site; there are plenty of examples and talk.

- Not by the rules. Maybe if your GM likes you enough.

- p. 96 and p. 98, Augmentation

- Again, search this site. Plenty of discussion here.

+Quote Post
Socinus
post Jun 15 2009, 03:23 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

I've read through these books extensively but I need a little clarification on these points.

+Quote Post
toolbox
post Jun 15 2009, 03:39 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,251

Here are the answers I know off the top of my head:

QUOTE (Socinus @ Jun 14 2009, 07:53 PM) *

A botnet is just a large group of agents, usually running individually on a bunch of pre-hacked nodes, with a botnet program to coordinate them. You can subscribe to the whole botnet with a single subscription, but every interaction has to go through the botnet software. You can use botnets for lots of stuff - mostly when you have to perform a relatively simple task on a lot of different nodes. Really large-scale hacks tend to use botnets.

As difficult as the GM makes it, really - it's pretty circumstantial. In general, externally visible cyberware uses hardwired connections rather than wireless, meaning you'd have to physically jack into the 'ware to hack it. Smart users will also disable any wireless connections that aren't absolutely vital. In either case, you're probably going to have to either get the user's AID and spoof every one of your commands to the 'ware (at the admin level) or hack on the fly for admin access. If your victim is smart he'll probably have all his 'ware slaved to a commlink with decent stats and maybe some IC. Again, it's as hard as the GM wants it to be. Unwired has a section that covers this in pretty good detail, including a list of hacked cyberware examples. There isn't really an exhaustive list of possibilities anywhere, though.

Acquired like any other gear, deployed according to each nanite type's Vector entry. Cyberspurs, darts, capsule rounds, squirtguns, gas grenades and so on can all be used to deliver a nanite payload, depending on the vector.

+Quote Post
Socinus
post Jun 15 2009, 06:00 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

QUOTE (toolbox @ Jun 15 2009, 04:39 AM) *
A botnet is just a large group of agents, usually running individually on a bunch of pre-hacked nodes, with a botnet program to coordinate them. You can subscribe to the whole botnet with a single subscription, but every interaction has to go through the botnet software. You can use botnets for lots of stuff - mostly when you have to perform a relatively simple task on a lot of different nodes. Really large-scale hacks tend to use botnets.
So if you lump a bunch of agents together you just automatically have a botnet? Do you actually have to declare it or is there special software you need to get?

Acquired like any other gear, deployed according to each nanite type's Vector entry. Cyberspurs, darts, capsule rounds, squirtguns, gas grenades and so on can all be used to deliver a nanite payload, depending on the vector.

I've looked at the weaponized nanites and not too many of them seem to be real effective or something you'd want to use in a weapon. The deadliest varieties are airborne so you have the real chance of it blowing back in your face.

+Quote Post
crizh
post Jun 15 2009, 07:00 PM
Post #6

Runner

Member No.: 15,722

Nano-infecters struck me as pretty amusing.

Combine them with Nano-carcerands loaded with something nasty like K-10.

+Quote Post
toolbox
post Jun 15 2009, 07:03 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

QUOTE (Socinus @ Jun 15 2009, 11:00 AM) *
So if you lump a bunch of agents together you just automatically have a botnet? Do you actually have to declare it or is there special software you need to get?

Like I said, you need a botnet program to coordinate the agents. Unwired has a whole section on this; go re-read it.

I've looked at the weaponized nanites and not too many of them seem to be real effective or something you'd want to use in a weapon. The deadliest varieties are airborne so you have the real chance of it blowing back in your face.

Ok.

I'm not saying you have to use them; I'm just answering your question on how.

+Quote Post
Socinus
post Jun 15 2009, 07:43 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Again, I HAVE read these sections but I just need some clarification on some of the points.

Maybe I'm slow, maybe I'm stupid, whatever.

If it bothers you that much to respond, then dont, its not difficult.

For instance, agents, what exactly are they? Are they autonomous programs that you load with other programs that go and perform specific tasks that you set? Do they react on their own? etc etc.

+Quote Post
deek
post Jun 15 2009, 08:07 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,814

QUOTE (Socinus @ Jun 15 2009, 02:43 PM) *
For instance, agents, what exactly are they? Are they autonomous programs that you load with other programs that go and perform specific tasks that you set? Do they react on their own? etc etc.

They are both. An agent has a program rating just like any other program. But, an agent also has a payload, so you can load up some programs into the agent that it can use. The higher the agent's rating, the "smarter" it is. So, an Agent 1 with Browse loaded, could follow your command to search for all instances of xyz on the matrix. It makes a roll and you get the results of that search. Higher level agents can have more programs and then you can give it more commands.

But, they are not a hacker. An agent 6 with a bunch of hacker programs could follow a command to "hack xyz node and create a backdoor" pretty well. It may even be "smart" enough to fight IC or retreat if things go bad. Although, that's usually a discussion you have with your GM on how the agent might react.

So, they are semi-autonomous. An agent is smart, especially at the higher ratings, but it still follows rules and isn't going to be ready to handle every situation a GM throws at it...

+Quote Post
toolbox
post Jun 15 2009, 11:12 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

QUOTE (Socinus @ Jun 15 2009, 12:43 PM) *
Again, I HAVE read these sections but I just need some clarification on some of the points.

Maybe I'm slow, maybe I'm stupid, whatever.

If it bothers you that much to respond, then dont, its not difficult.

Dude. Chill.

I mentioned the botnet software in my first reply. When you missed that, I figured maybe you just weren't a particularly attentive reader. With the nanites, I never really intended to get into a discussion about how useful they are (although if you're at risk of inhaling your own airborne nanites you probably wouldn't want to use a standard gas grenade either, so it's a wash). No offense intended. Here are the bits I meant, with bolding for emphasis:

QUOTE (UN p.100)
A botnet is like a specialized VPN that allows a hacker to
maintain and manage large numbers of agents (or worms) without
overloading her subscription list. The agents are loaded with a copy
of the unrated botnet program along with the rest of their payload
and loaded into separate nodes to run independently.

The botnet program contains a list of all the agents online and
connected through the botnet,
with simple status symbols communicating
their effective Matrix attributes, current Matrix Condition
Monitor, payload, location, and what action they are undertaking.

The botnet software is the glue that holds all the agents together in a manageable unit.

As for the nanites, don't overlook things like intruder nanites - load your weapon with a capsule round full of these and you can just shoot things instead of having to hack them. A shot of Gremlins is going to do a number on any cybered opponent who comes after you. Activators open a hole in wireless security. Deactivators take nodes out of action without damaging them. Drop a surtr-loaded gas grenade behind you while being chased for an instant horrific booby-trap. And so on. Not all of them are directly combat-applicable, but they're still useful.

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Jun 15 2009, 11:45 PM
Post #11

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 8,314

QUOTE (crizh @ Jun 15 2009, 02:00 PM) *
Nano-infecters struck me as pretty amusing.

Combine them with Nano-carcerands loaded with something nasty like K-10.

... and then stay the heck away from pre-schools, for your own safety.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:56 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.