Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Which Mega owns Harley-Davidson
'Sconnie
post Jun 17 2009, 05:07 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,152

Working on what my vision of Milwaukee would be in 2071, and I was wondering which, if any of the Megas owns Harley-Davidson.

If I had to Guess it would be Ares.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DWC
post Jun 17 2009, 05:28 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 13,526

My guess would be Saeder-Krupp, who got it as part of a package deal when they acquired Messershmidt-Kawasaki, with Kawasaki having bought Harley Davidson in 2015 to save the company from bankruptcy, again.

+Quote Post
'Sconnie
post Jun 17 2009, 05:33 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

QUOTE (DWC @ Jun 17 2009, 05:28 PM) *
My guess would be Saeder-Krupp, who got it as part of a package deal when they acquired Messershmidt-Kawasaki, with Kawasaki having bought Harley Davidson in 2015 to save the company from bankruptcy, again.

Would explain the resurgance of Indian. I'm sure that there's plenty of people out there who wouldn't wnat to ride any bike that has even the slightest connection to Lofwyr.

S-K would make sense, as for years, Milwaukee had a very large ethnic German population.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Jun 17 2009, 05:53 PM
Post #4

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

QUOTE ('Sconnie @ Jun 17 2009, 01:33 PM) *
Would explain the resurgance of Indian. I'm sure that there's plenty of people out there who wouldn't wnat to ride any bike that has even the slightest connection to Lofwyr.

I could totally see Harleys with a chrome dragon head over the front wheel.

Which would look bad ass.

+Quote Post
paws2sky
post Jun 17 2009, 07:01 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 14,229

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jun 17 2009, 01:53 PM) *
I could totally see Harleys with a chrome dragon head over the front wheel.
Which would look bad ass.

If you're into chrome dragon heads, sure. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

-paws

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Jun 18 2009, 01:32 AM
Post #6

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

I'm guessing Ares. Damian Knight could be seen as defending na american icon And more believable no fragging way is he letting someone get an industrial plant set that close to his main base at Detroit. He'd buy out HD just for defensiveness.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Jun 18 2009, 01:45 AM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

I think by canon Harley-Davidson, Inc. is currently independent of megacorporate ownership; or at least it isn't a direct subsidiary or wholly-owned corp.

+Quote Post
'Sconnie
post Jun 18 2009, 05:44 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jun 18 2009, 02:45 AM) *
I think by canon Harley-Davidson, Inc. is currently independent of megacorporate ownership; or at least it isn't a direct subsidiary or wholly-owned corp.

Which actually would make things in Beer City a LOT more interesting for shadowrunners. With a Brand with a history like H-D's, Damn near all the Big 10 would want it, and I could see each of the Big 10 so busy fighting each other over Harley, that nobody really has a clear chance Gobble up Harley Davidson

Funny. That was going to be my Vision for the Green Bay Packers. Still Community owned, but with the AAAs fighting over who gets to buy the storied franchies.

+Quote Post
'Sconnie
post Jun 18 2009, 05:49 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Jun 18 2009, 02:32 AM) *
I'm guessing Ares. Damian Knight could be seen as defending na american icon And more believable no fragging way is he letting someone get an industrial plant set that close to his main base at Detroit. He'd buy out HD just for defensiveness.

That was sort of my justification for having Knight Errant Police Milwaukee, with the exception of the campus of Wisconsin State Univerity (Formerly UW-Milwaukee), which was snapped up by Lone Star.

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Jun 19 2009, 06:02 AM
Post #10

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

QUOTE ('Sconnie @ Jun 18 2009, 11:44 AM) *
Which actually would make things in Beer City a LOT more interesting for shadowrunners. With a Brand with a history like H-D's, Damn near all the Big 10 would want it, and I could see each of the Big 10 so busy fighting each other over Harley, that nobody really has a clear chance Gobble up Harley Davidson

Best. Campaign. Idea. Ever.

+Quote Post
Bob Lord of Evil
post Jun 19 2009, 04:24 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,207

I have not seen anything listing Harley-Davidson as a subsidiary of another corp (only two mentions that I have found are SR3 and Rigger 3).

+Quote Post
'Sconnie
post Jun 19 2009, 05:45 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

QUOTE (eidolon @ Jun 19 2009, 07:02 AM) *
Best. Campaign. Idea. Ever.

Thank you.

+Quote Post
Jackstand
post Jun 22 2009, 03:19 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,298

QUOTE ('Sconnie @ Jun 18 2009, 12:49 PM) *
Wisconsin State Univerity (Formerly UW-Milwaukee)

I'm actually a student here, (I'm posting from campus right now, no less) and there has been talk, as recently as a couple of months ago, about changing the name. The SA has been pushing for University of Milwaukee, though.

+Quote Post
TBRMInsanity
post Jun 22 2009, 05:26 PM
Post #14

Running Target

Member No.: 8,494

Even though HD has a long American history and good sales record I don't see any of the megacorps (with the exception of Ares, Cross (when they existed), and maybe S-K) wanting it. The reason I say this is that HD, like other independent motorcycle companies, works best when they are independent. They can produce unique models that can succeed or fail on their own merits and megacorps are better off making production deals to mass produce proven model designs.

I can see a lot of the shadow activity being around getting exclusive production deals of the latest "hot" item (runs between Ares and S-K most likely and most of the runs would be what the other person is offering so they can best it).

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jun 22 2009, 05:56 PM
Post #15

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

Isn't HD the Brand of Bikes that should come with their own Tool/Repair-Kit?

+Quote Post
the_real_elwood
post Jun 22 2009, 06:06 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,349

I doubt that H-D would have enough production capacity or innovative product to warrant a takeover by any of the megacorps either.

All you have to do to compete in that market is produce a big, heavy, slow, unwieldy, over-chromed cruiser and market it to 50-something dentists and doctors.

And with Chicago coming back online after the containment wall came down, I would think that Milwaukee is going to be taking a backseat to Chicago in the Lake Michigan-area 'running community.

+Quote Post
'Sconnie
post Jun 22 2009, 06:56 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

QUOTE (Jackstand @ Jun 22 2009, 04:19 PM) *
I'm actually a student here, (I'm posting from campus right now, no less) and there has been talk, as recently as a couple of months ago, about changing the name. The SA has been pushing for University of Milwaukee, though.

My resoning behind this was that in my vision of Wisconsin in the year 2070, Madision has become a hotbed for rads, particularly anti corp, eco rads, anarchists, etc (Basically becoming to the UCAS what San Fran is to us today). These rad groups have been a constant thorn in the side for the Megas. (Sabotaging research projects, interfering with corp lecturers, luring UW students on corp scolarships over to "the dark side", etc) So the corps dumped a whole bunch of nuyen into UW-Milwaukee to build a competing institution in a slightly more corp-friendly environment.

+Quote Post
'Sconnie
post Jun 22 2009, 07:06 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

For all of you who might be interested, I've written an outline of my vision of Milwaukee in 2070. I'll get around to posting it when I've finished it. I've only a few more things to round out.

+Quote Post
Jackstand
post Jun 22 2009, 08:09 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,298

That sounds like a pretty good investment for the corps. I wish somebody would dump a whole bunch of money into this place. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif) I've always wanted more material on Milwaukee, so please do post yours when it's ready. I'd like to see it.

+Quote Post
Darklordofbunnie...
post Jul 7 2009, 02:42 AM
Post #20

Target

Member No.: 17,331

I'd like to address a few of the statements in this thread.
1)If you are in to H-D you are in to BA chrome dragon heads, so much so that regardless of who owns HD(if anyone) there is probably a Dunkelzahn commemorative edition.
2)Best. Campaign. Idea. Ever.: Seconded
3)There is never too much chrome. You start chroming the chrome after a while, then you upgrade to betaware and chrome more...oh wait..you know what? I say it still applies as an analogy.

+Quote Post
Warlordtheft
post Jul 7 2009, 07:31 PM
Post #21

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 11,360

Hey, one of my PC's (I have yet to play) is a troll, with chromer dermal sheating, a chrome bike (a Harley of course), crome savette gaudians, and he plays lead guitar in a Death Speed metal band (think Slayer-but with all trolls).

+Quote Post
Sumo Neko
post Jul 8 2009, 02:28 PM
Post #22

Target

Member No.: 16,660

QUOTE ('Sconnie @ Jun 18 2009, 12:44 PM) *

Funny. That was going to be my Vision for the Green Bay Packers. Still Community owned, but with the AAAs fighting over who gets to buy the storied franchies.

While I could see both sides, Harley-Davidson is the best brand logo in the world.

Everyone knows what it is, and what it represents.
They have put it on patches, shirts, mugs, etc.

Having that brand under a mega would be a MAJOR Coup.
Saeder, Ares and NeoNET I see as the 3 who would most actively pursue them. I would also see them give them almost complete autonomy (like 80% for Saeder and 95% for Ares and NeoNET).
Of them I personally believe Ares would win out, just because of their moto, they are based in Detriot and support the US automakers.

Remember a lot of small brands are under the Mega Corps and the general populace may never know about it. Referencing Corporate Download, Apple Computers is still around (as a subsidiary of Ares).

+Quote Post
Critias
post Jul 8 2009, 09:30 PM
Post #23

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

While I think we can all agree Harley is one of the most recognizable logos/corporate entities out there, I wouldn't say it's the best (or the company wouldn't be struggling right now).

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Jul 10 2009, 02:15 AM
Post #24

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

Remember HD's biggest competition if Honda which is owned by a mega, so for marketing they can bring a lot more pressure to bear- a Honda Shadow (RL) looks like an HD, is more reliable and only a fraction of the cost. yeah HD has the cool vibe and the great sound but more people can aford to buy and maintain a Honda. HD can't survive just on being the classic vehical while it's competition gobbles up the casual buyer- which is what is happening now. and why HD goes through massive swings in profit and loss.

+Quote Post
Black Flame Zeal...
post Jul 10 2009, 05:02 AM
Post #25

Target

Member No.: 17,356

QUOTE ('Sconnie @ Jun 22 2009, 12:06 PM) *
For all of you who might be interested, I've written an outline of my vision of Milwaukee in 2070. I'll get around to posting it when I've finished it. I've only a few more things to round out.

Cool, I'm very interested. Wisconsin-born, and lived in the Milwaukee area for almost all of my adult life until moving to Seattle 2 1/2 years ago.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:50 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.