Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Machine Sprite, Replicating
lowendz113
post Jun 17 2009, 08:45 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,215

So the machine sprite can get an autosoft of your choice. If you choose replicating, it can make multiples of itself right? In the description it says that these copies can be loaded onto other nodes to which [it] has access. So does that mean you can basically have one machine sprite multiply itself a bunch of times and have it control several drones?

I'm going to assume that the dupes would all still be the same sprite so all commands would draw from the same pool of tasks owed. Though strictly speaking, they are all different, and if one were to be killed the others would not die. So I think the point might be debatable. And if you assume that all the commands come from the same pool, can each version of the sprite act independently? Or does each command get broadcasted to all of them?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Jun 17 2009, 09:09 PM
Post #2

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

From Unwired.

"Replicate is a malware autosoft usually integrated into worms
so that they can multiply themselves and spawn to other devices and
nodes (see Node Movement and Accounts p. 110). In game terms, a
worm-like agent equipped with this autosoft draws on the system’s
resources to reproduce itself onto another node to which it has access,
including all the programs it has loaded, as long as these can be
copied (i.e. they don’t carry the Copy Protection program option,
p. 114). The worm makes a Pilot + Replicate (Pilot x 4, 1 Combat
Turn) Extended Test to determine how long replication takes."

Since Sprite <> Agent, No.

Keep in mind that while Technomancer and Sprite Complex forms and Powers are described in the mechanical and fluff terms, they are not actually functional equal. So you get TM and Sprite Powers and abilities for which there is no Matrix Program equivalent and vice versa.

+Quote Post
BlackJaw
post Jun 17 2009, 09:19 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,213

Dire has it right. The key phrase is "as long as these can be copied," and Sprites can not be copied.

+Quote Post
lowendz113
post Jun 17 2009, 09:30 PM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 17,215

Fair enough. But I will point out that all autosofts say "agent" not agent or machine sprite. The autosoft does not build in exceptions to its rules so it can fit all circumstances. The machine sprite has the exception built into it.

I didn't think about the copying thing. I have not read anywhere where it says that sprites cannot be copied, but it seems rather intuitive that that would be the case.

+Quote Post
crizh
post Jun 17 2009, 09:35 PM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 15,722

The logic above is spurious in my opinion.

They are however correct.

The quote you are looking for is on page 110 of Unwired in the section on Node Movement and Accounts.

note that sprites, AIs, and eghosts, as living digital entities, are incapable of copying themselves this way

+Quote Post
BlackJaw
post Jun 17 2009, 09:39 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,213

Well if you want to get technical, you could load up a sprite with a replicate autosoft, but it won't be able to use it because sprites are not programs and therefore can not be copied... which is a requirement of the autosoft.

To put it another way:
Autosofts can only be used by something with a Pilot program (Agents, Drones, some AIs.)
There is an exception noted that you can make a Sprite with an Autosoft.
The specific Autosoft you are trying has it's own requirement for use, that a Sprite does not meet.
Thus you could load up a Sprite with the Autosoft, but it couldn't use the Autosoft to replicate.

+Quote Post
crizh
post Jun 17 2009, 09:48 PM
Post #7

Runner

Member No.: 15,722

The crucial text is this

...equipped with this autosoft draws on the system's resources to reproduce itself onto another node to which it has access

Normal Agents and Worms without the Replicate do not have the ability to copy or replicate themselves.

Only the Replicate Autosoft grants them this ability.

It does not grant them the ability to 'replicate' copy-protected programs.

This is not relevant to Sprites because they do not posses programs.

Fortunately they are explicitly banned from using the Replicate Autosoft by the text I quoted previously.

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Jun 17 2009, 09:55 PM
Post #8

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

QUOTE (lowendz113 @ Jun 17 2009, 04:30 PM) *
I didn't think about the copying thing. I have not read anywhere where it says that sprites cannot be copied, but it seems rather intuitive that that would be the case.

Darn then why have I been Compiling and Registering them all this time... or have I just been making one and only copy at a time?

+Quote Post
toolbox
post Jun 18 2009, 02:50 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,251

QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Jun 17 2009, 02:55 PM) *
Darn then why have I been Compiling and Registering them all this time... or have I just been making one and only copy at a time?

Huh? Each sprite you compile is a distinct entity, not a copy of an existing sprite. If you compile and register five Machine sprites, they're five unique beings, not clones or copies of the same creature.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Jun 18 2009, 11:38 PM
Post #10

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

QUOTE (toolbox @ Jun 17 2009, 10:50 PM) *
Huh? Each sprite you compile is a distinct entity, not a copy of an existing sprite. If you compile and register five Machine sprites, they're five unique beings, not clones or copies of the same creature.

he was being sarcastic. or facetious. or in some other way, saying one thing while meaning the exact opposite. the precise tone is not terribly clear given he's writing as opposed to placing a recording of him speaking here.

mind you, i find it frustrating trying to say things sarcastically when people can hear, because half the time they don't catch your blatant attempt at sarcasm anyways...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:08 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.