> Question on Alternate Combat Rules, Tweaking the Rules
i101
post Jun 22 2009, 12:41 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,989

On Page 75, SR4A you can find following alternate combat rules:

Rather than handling all combat as an Opposed Test, you can handle ranged combat as a Success Test with a threshold based on range (1 Short, 2 Medium, 3 Long, 4 Extreme). Some situational modifiers will affect threshold rather than dice pool, such as blind fire, cover, etc.

My Question is now, what is ment with some situational modifiers will affect threshold? It says already blind fire and cover. Whats up with attacker running, and recoil, or visibility modifiers? Do all modifiers effect the treshold by increasing respectively decreasing them in case of a smartlinked weapon or laser sight? Or are there still modifiers that affect the dicepool?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Heath Robinson
post Jun 22 2009, 12:52 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 15,736

To accurately translate these things you'd need to make your own decisions on what you want to make more difficult. Frank's work on Warp Cult might be a good source for converting SR4 ranged weapons to a Threshold system.

As an example of the questions you need to ask yourself: Should having a magnifying scope allow you to ignore Thresholds from range categories with a Take Aim action? Or should it, instead, allow you to make a Take Aim action to reduce things by 1 or 2 Categories? Or should it allow you to make Take Aim actions beyond the Short range category?

As a general rule: Turn negative penalties for the attacker into Threshold modifiers (divide by 3, decide how you're going to round). Turn the positive modifiers for the defender into the same.

+Quote Post
i101
post Jun 22 2009, 02:21 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 12,989

Found Frank's work on Warp Cult, very nice. I think I am gonna houserule some of the combat modifiers. Franks a legend. Thanks mate.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:41 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.