IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Animal Handling, what Skill does this fit?
pbangarth
post Jun 22 2009, 06:41 PM
Post #1

Old Man of the North

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,463

If you were to place Animal Handling (as referred to in the Animal Empathy Quality and Adept Power) as a Skill, where would you put it?

It could be a Professional Knowledge Skill, but linking it to LOG seems less appropriate to me than to CHA or INT. It could go under one of the CHA-linked Influence Group Skills, such as Intimidation or Leadership. It might also fit under the INT-linked Artisan Skill.

What do you think?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
crizh
post Jun 22 2009, 06:54 PM
Post #2

Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,722

Hmmm.

The voices in my head think it ought be an INT active skill. Or maybe two...

+Quote Post
Dragnar
post Jun 22 2009, 06:58 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,638

Definitely a knowledge skill, as it doesn't have all that much clout ruleswise. INT seems more appropriate, I agree, so make it an interest skill.

Remember, "active" and "knowledge" skills basically mean "skills that are directly important in the game rules" and "skills that are not", which is why chemistry is an active skill (because the rules let you produce drugs and bombs with it), while physics is a knowledge skill (because there are no rules to use the skill to your advantage).

+Quote Post
Tiger Eyes
post Jun 22 2009, 07:03 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,508

QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jun 22 2009, 02:41 PM) *
If you were to place Animal Handling (as referred to in the Animal Empathy Quality and Adept Power) as a Skill, where would you put it?

It could be a Professional Knowledge Skill, but linking it to LOG seems less appropriate to me than to CHA or INT. It could go under one of the CHA-linked Influence Group Skills, such as Intimidation or Leadership. It might also fit under the INT-linked Artisan Skill.

What do you think?

I think it will be in Running Wild. Especially since I wrote the chapter. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) If you want a sneak peak, the linked attribute for Animal Handling will be Intuition. Of course, that's just a taste; there's an entire new skill group and playtest reports were very enthusiastic about it... (you know what they say about the first taste being free...)

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Jun 22 2009, 08:37 PM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

as a temporary workaround (running wild is coming out someday, sooner or later, possibly this year but we don't know for sure) you could try just using instruction(critters) for training and leadership(critters) for giving commands?

+Quote Post
Wesley Street
post Jun 22 2009, 08:38 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Member No.: 15,686

QUOTE (Tiger Eyes @ Jun 22 2009, 03:03 PM) *
Of course, that's just a taste; there's an entire new skill group and playtest reports were very enthusiastic about it... (you know what they say about the first taste being free...)

Make sure your PC warms up his hands before attempting to use the Animal Husbandry skill on an agropelter.

+Quote Post
Zurai
post Jun 22 2009, 08:49 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,964

QUOTE (Dragnar @ Jun 22 2009, 01:58 PM) *
Remember, "active" and "knowledge" skills basically mean "skills that are directly important in the game rules" and "skills that are not", which is why chemistry is an active skill (because the rules let you produce drugs and bombs with it), while physics is a knowledge skill (because there are no rules to use the skill to your advantage).

Not really true. Active skills are skills that let you do something. Knowledge skills are skills that let you know something. The only reason Physics isn't an Active skill is because no one's written any rules for applied physics. Note that Chemistry wasn't an option for an Active skill until Arsenal gave it several pages of applied rules (whereas the original book had even more pages of theoretical rules). You can't say active skills are important in the game rules, because seriously, when was the last time you used Artisan, Diving, or Parachuting (none of which have any significant game rules relating to them)?

+Quote Post
Dragnar
post Jun 22 2009, 09:11 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,638

Professional knowledge skills let you do something as well. Most professions are their own skill. The difference is that none of that directly matters in the rules.
Active skills let you do something within the rules. Which is exactly what I said. Yes, chemistry was a knowledge skill until it got rules, precisely because of that. I didn't say all active skills are equally important (because they aren't), but they (should) all have direct uses. Artisan is an active skill, because it's used for vessel preparation, symphatetic foci and some other miniscule actions, which isn't a whole lot, so the skill at least encompasses everything artsy to somewhat compensate (it's still a bad active skill though, I agree).
Diving rules are in Arsenal, IIRC. Parachuting is a legacy skill, you're right. There have been rules for it in editions past, but AFAIK none have been published for 4th Ed.

Knowledge skills are the fluff skills. The background skills to flesh out the character. The player himself is responsible to use them in fun, creative and useful ways during the game. And frankly, that's actually a really good system, although the rules should be a bit more upfront about it.

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Jun 22 2009, 09:59 PM
Post #9

Old Man of the North

Thanks gang, and especially Tiger Eyes for the sneak peek!

Since this is just a concept, and I don't plan to bring my shepherd and his good-buddy border collie into a run any time soon, I think I will just pencil in the sneak peek from Running Wild.

I'm thinking about writing him up with both Animal Empathy abilities, and a couple of Initiations, with Attunement (Dog) and Empower Animal. Just imagine the things he and his border collie could do with a flock of sheep!

+Quote Post
Tiger Eyes
post Jun 22 2009, 10:47 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jun 22 2009, 05:59 PM) *
I'm thinking about writing him up with both Animal Empathy abilities, and a couple of Initiations, with Attunement (Dog) and Empower Animal. Just imagine the things he and his border collie could do with a flock of sheep!

I have a feeling you will like Running Wild...

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Jun 22 2009, 10:51 PM
Post #11

Old Man of the North

QUOTE (Tiger Eyes @ Jun 22 2009, 04:47 PM) *
I have a feeling you will like Running Wild...

I think so, too. I have enjoyed many of the ex-urban runs I've experienced over the years, and despite the cyberpunk origins of all of this, there is a lot of world out there, even in the Sixth World, that is not paved over. So, yeah, I'll be queuing up for that one for sure.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Jun 22 2009, 10:51 PM
Post #12

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jun 22 2009, 05:59 PM) *
Thanks gang, and especially Tiger Eyes for the sneak peek!

Since this is just a concept, and I don't plan to bring my shepherd and his good-buddy border collie into a run any time soon, I think I will just pencil in the sneak peek from Running Wild.

i had an idea a while back to have a demon rat that would be like a sheepdog for rats...

+Quote Post
Tiger Eyes
post Jun 22 2009, 11:50 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jun 22 2009, 05:51 PM) *
I have enjoyed many of the ex-urban runs I've experienced over the years, and despite the cyberpunk origins of all of this, there is a lot of world out there, even in the Sixth World, that is not paved over.

Even if you prefer urban runs, there will be lots of goodies in Running Wild. Security critters -- and how corps use them, and even better, how runners can use them... Urban critters, not just the devil rat. How governments, private citizens, corporate enclaves, airports, etc, etc, have critters around, how they integrate them, how common (or uncommon) they are. The pros and cons of critters vs. drones (or metahumans) in security. Lots and lots of things in there that apply particularly to an urban setting....

Edited to say: You might be able to tell, I'm quite enthusiastic about Running Wild. Beyond being one of my all time favorite books (and hey, that says a lot after all the technomancer goodness that came with Unwired), it got great reviews from the playtesters, several of whom said it was their favorite SR4 book to date. And I'm dying here, because my GM has a firm rule against using any rules or goodness from any book that is not yet in print. Ooooh, the agony...

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Jun 22 2009, 11:56 PM
Post #14

Old Man of the North

QUOTE (Tiger Eyes @ Jun 22 2009, 05:50 PM) *
Ooooh, the agony...

Remember, Tiger Eyes, the longer you hold out, the better it feels when you let loose.

+Quote Post
The Jake
post Jun 23 2009, 01:31 AM
Post #15

Shooting Target

Member No.: 872

QUOTE (Tiger Eyes @ Jun 22 2009, 11:50 PM) *
Even if you prefer urban runs, there will be lots of goodies in Running Wild. Security critters -- and how corps use them, and even better, how runners can use them... Urban critters, not just the devil rat. How governments, private citizens, corporate enclaves, airports, etc, etc, have critters around, how they integrate them, how common (or uncommon) they are. The pros and cons of critters vs. drones (or metahumans) in security. Lots and lots of things in there that apply particularly to an urban setting....

Edited to say: You might be able to tell, I'm quite enthusiastic about Running Wild. Beyond being one of my all time favorite books (and hey, that says a lot after all the technomancer goodness that came with Unwired), it got great reviews from the playtesters, several of whom said it was their favorite SR4 book to date. And I'm dying here, because my GM has a firm rule against using any rules or goodness from any book that is not yet in print. Ooooh, the agony...

I'm dying to see this personally. I've often thought about playing a parasecurity expert. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

- J.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:25 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.