IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vignette Thread Comments, (side discussion on the Vignette thread)
knasser
post Jun 24 2009, 05:26 PM
Post #1

Shadow Cartographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,636

EDIT: People have sometimes asked me for what is acceptable in the Vignette thread. Well leaving aside the general Dumpshock rules which apply across all threads, I'll say only the following:
You must enjoy writing the piece. This thread is for people to write for their own satisfaction without constraints of quality, length or intelligibility.
It must be Shadowrun fiction, obviously.
Keep comments out of the vignette thread. There is no need to preface or explain your work. If you want to, add it to the comments thread.
Never apologise here or elsewhere for your Vignette. You have no right to be insecure about the quality, to be afraid of being judged, to compare it negatively to other people's work or any similarly boring apologetics. Everyone gets to write. Everyone gets a round of applause. That's the way it is. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

The way that people have just quietly posted their writing in the Vignette thread is beautiful and I didn't have the heart to break up the flow of narrative with comments.

But I had to say how great everyone's work in that thread has been. There's some truly remarkable writing and I've enjoyed them all.

I like writing. It's fun to bash out a bit of Shadowrun fiction. But it can be a lot of work to produce a full story. I'm really glad to see others who enjoy writing these fragments too.

That's all really. I just needed to say somewhere how impressed I am with people's skill and how people have obviously enjoyed writing them as well.

More to come, I'm sure.

Peace and fun writing,

Khadim.

EDIT: I added an index at the start. I assigned some titles at the start so that people could easily find which vignette they wanted. But no presumption is intended. If anyone wants to give a different title, just let me know and I'll change it. They're not really titles anyway - just hints so that people can find the post.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Critias
post Jun 24 2009, 05:30 PM
Post #2

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

In addition to knasser's general "everything so far has been pretty cool" comment, I'd just like to say fuck you, knasser, for doing something like this when I really, really, should be working on some (non-Shadowrun) freelance stuff and/or a paper for a Brit Lit class. Jerk. I should be doing genuinely grown-up productive stuff, and instead I'm kicking around ideas for a short story. Thanks for nothing! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

+Quote Post
knasser
post Jun 24 2009, 06:00 PM
Post #3

Shadow Cartographer

QUOTE (Critias @ Jun 24 2009, 06:30 PM) *
In addition to knasser's general "everything so far has been pretty cool" comment, I'd just like to say fuck you, knasser, for doing something like this when I really, really, should be working on some (non-Shadowrun) freelance stuff and/or a paper for a Brit Lit class. Jerk. I should be doing genuinely grown-up productive stuff, and instead I'm kicking around ideas for a short story. Thanks for nothing! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

*smiles and waves graciously in acknowledgement* (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Jun 24 2009, 06:35 PM
Post #4

Old Man of the North

Member No.: 5,463

Interesting how many of the vignettes have a musical element.

+Quote Post
knasser
post Jun 24 2009, 07:12 PM
Post #5

Shadow Cartographer

QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jun 24 2009, 07:35 PM) *
Interesting how many of the vignettes have a musical element.

Indeed. And it might be about to get even more so as I have an idea for another vignette on a musical theme. But having just seen yours, I don't know if I should.

But then I reminded myself that its the pleasure of writing it out that matters, so if there's a little overlap with the predecessor, I dare say it doesn't matter too much. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Nice piece.

K.

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Jun 24 2009, 07:49 PM
Post #6

Old Man of the North

The more, the merrier. Thanks.

+Quote Post
paws2sky
post Jun 24 2009, 08:26 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 14,229

I haven't been inspired to sit down and write something in years. Literally.

Thanks for giving me some motivation, Khadim.

-paws

+Quote Post
knasser
post Jun 24 2009, 09:00 PM
Post #8

Shadow Cartographer

QUOTE (paws2sky @ Jun 24 2009, 09:26 PM) *
I haven't been inspired to sit down and write something in years. Literally.

Thanks for giving me some motivation, Khadim.

-paws

If the gunpowder wants to thank the match, then by all means flatter me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) But that little explosion of literary adrenaline was all yours, mate.

You should find the time to write more. It was fun to read.

K.

+Quote Post
Mirilion
post Jun 24 2009, 11:03 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,271

I seem to be getting addicted to these little pieces. I always loved writing, but my problem is that I couldn't write anything long and complex, just specific scenes that seemed powerful.

+Quote Post
ravensmuse
post Jun 25 2009, 11:15 AM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 14,507

Yeah, you made me waste an entire two hours of work writing mine. Damn you knasser! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Kerenshara
post Jun 25 2009, 08:09 PM
Post #11

Shooting Target

Member No.: 17,166

I was lucky that I had one I could just clip, clean up a smidgen, and re-posted. The problem is now I'm working on another piece just for the thread, and I had to make sure it didn't go into the longer work I am doing with the character. Thanks a BUNCH. I just hope somebody's reading all those stories, for the work the authors are putting into them. *wry grin*

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Jun 25 2009, 08:21 PM
Post #12

Old Man of the North

Reading these is way more fun than those interminable arguments about minutiae!

+Quote Post
Critias
post Jun 25 2009, 08:24 PM
Post #13

Freelance Elf

QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jun 25 2009, 04:21 PM) *
Reading these is way more fun than those interminable arguments about minutiae!

Is not! It's moderately more fun, at best. Only an idiot and total noob to the game would think it was way more fun! Read the errata and learn what you're talking about before you open your stupid mou--heeeeey, wait a second.

+Quote Post
Kerenshara
post Jun 25 2009, 08:27 PM
Post #14

Shooting Target

Member No.: 17,166

QUOTE (Critias @ Jun 25 2009, 03:24 PM) *
Is not! It's moderately more fun, at best. Only an idiot and total noob to the game would think it was way more fun! Read the errata and learn what you're talking about before you open your stupid mou--heeeeey, wait a second.

*Smacks Critias with a large halibut, then blows a raspberry*

(Yes, I laughed hard. Doesn't mean you don't deserve Da Feesh!)

+Quote Post
knasser
post Jun 25 2009, 09:07 PM
Post #15

Shadow Cartographer

QUOTE (ravensmuse @ Jun 25 2009, 12:15 PM) *
Yeah, you made me waste an entire two hours of work writing mine. Damn you knasser! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I don't think your time was wasted at all. I very much enjoyed reading what you wrote and think the time you spent on it was far more useful to me than if you'd gone and done some work. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

QUOTE (Mirilion)
I seem to be getting addicted to these little pieces. I always loved writing, but my problem is that I couldn't write anything long and complex, just specific scenes that seemed powerful.

Writing is fun. But I think so many of us these days have ended up with the attention spans of puppies through excess web-browsing, action movies or working days filled with endless interruptions, that to sit down and just write for the length of time it takes to produce even a short story, becomes a real effort. Or maybe we're all just very busy. So perhaps vignettes are a way to re-awaken that part of our minds that loves to write fiction, without shocking it with a three hour prose-binge. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) We're all role-players here, so our minds should have a pretty well-developed love of telling stories already anyway.

Or maybe vignettes are "gateway fiction." I know that when I started writing "Freedom of the Hunt" I only intended to produce a short scene of some shadowrunners being hunted by a cybered animal. I just did a word count and its almost three thousand words. A couple of those and I'm in the short story category. Do others get sucked in like that?

And oh, I almost forgot: applies vigorous halibuting to Critias (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Peace,

K.

+Quote Post
Prime Mover
post Jun 25 2009, 11:32 PM
Post #16

Shooting Target

Member No.: 9,313

Tossed something together quick..hope the grammar isn't too atrocious. Was fun want to do more now.

+Quote Post
knasser
post Jun 25 2009, 11:37 PM
Post #17

Shadow Cartographer

QUOTE (Prime Mover @ Jun 26 2009, 12:32 AM) *
Tossed something together quick..hope the grammar isn't too atrocious. Was fun want to do more now.

It was good. I have the urge to send one of the PCs in my game into a room with a Piasma now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

And welcome to the Vignette thread. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

K.

+Quote Post
knasser
post Jun 25 2009, 11:49 PM
Post #18

Shadow Cartographer

QUOTE (Kerenshara @ Jun 25 2009, 09:09 PM) *
I was lucky that I had one I could just clip, clean up a smidgen, and re-posted. The problem is now I'm working on another piece just for the thread, and I had to make sure it didn't go into the longer work I am doing with the character. Thanks a BUNCH. I just hope somebody's reading all those stories, for the work the authors are putting into them. *wry grin*

The Vignette thread currently shows 358 views. We have 9 authors so far. Even accounting for authors refreshing the thread to read the new posts, that still leaves a lot of reads. And because people keep adding new posts, it's staying hovering near the top of the board where people can see it. I think it's getting attention. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

K.

+Quote Post
Mirilion
post Jun 26 2009, 09:46 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,271

I hate how I write something, check it, double check it, and then notice some horrible spelling mistakes the next morning.
*shakes fist*

+Quote Post
ravensmuse
post Jun 26 2009, 11:19 AM
Post #20

Running Target

Member No.: 14,507

Thank you for the kind words knasser. It helps that I'm in a writing mood right now, as I'm working on my book yet again...

Mrillion: you're not the only one who does that. You would not believe how often I edit my posts three or four times, making everything seem just right.

+Quote Post
Doc Chaos
post Jun 26 2009, 02:22 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,119

I guess I will put something in myself soon, even though its gonna be horrible (english isnt my native language), but until then... I'm truly in awe (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Great works, chummers!

+Quote Post
Prime Mover
post Jun 26 2009, 05:09 PM
Post #22

Shooting Target

Member No.: 9,313

IF this sticks around for awhile might be interesting to have a new theme every week or with new releases.

+Quote Post
SincereAgape
post Jun 26 2009, 06:22 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,610

Stumbled upon this thread last night during work. The stories are fantastic. Thank you for starting this thread Knasser.

Just realized my contribution was not Vignette in nature. >_<

Goes back to the drawing board.

+Quote Post
Abschalten
post Jun 27 2009, 10:24 PM
Post #24

Running Target

Member No.: 7,655

Man, that was bitchin' fun. I enjoyed taking my heroic bloodshed/wuxia-inspired speed sam and putting him in the sort of crazy situation I imagine himself getting into (by no fault of his own, of course! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif) )

+Quote Post
Critias
post Jun 28 2009, 01:22 AM
Post #25

Freelance Elf

There's something I threw together, a refinement of a piece I used as part of a character background last week.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:17 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.