IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SR4A pdf, Did they have an earlier release or...?
EnlitenedDespot
post Jun 25 2009, 07:57 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,284

I'm using my buddy's pdf of SR4A as of now and was considering purchasing my own. I'm a bit confused on some of the rules on his copy though, as it appears the OR tables are 1, 2, 4, 6 and the drain rules for direct damage spells (+1 drain per net hit used to add damage) is not listed as optional. Does he have some earlier version of the 20th anniversary pdf before they put in the final rules changes?

Also, has anyone heard a planned release date for the physical book? I love the pdf but hot damn the physical book sometimes just actually works better for me...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TheOOB
post Jun 25 2009, 08:09 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 10,749

If I am correct, they pdf has gone through revisions and errata, which will be reflected in the print copy when it is released(me, I'm holding out for the dead tree copy).

Anyways, Amazon claims the book is coming out August 15th, with seems about right, I seem to remember hearing that the book should, in theory, be out at Gen Con, which is Aug 13-16.

+Quote Post
Dumori
post Jun 25 2009, 08:34 AM
Post #3

Dumorimasoddaa

Member No.: 15,830

Its going to be at origins as well but it was airshiped to make that the rest are going by boat. Yeah the relised the PDF then they sent an email to every one howbrought it saying they'd updates it form both critisms and the mass amount of eorros found.

+Quote Post
Cardul
post Jun 25 2009, 11:17 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,006

QUOTE (TheOOB @ Jun 25 2009, 03:09 AM) *
If I am correct, they pdf has gone through revisions and errata, which will be reflected in the print copy when it is released(me, I'm holding out for the dead tree copy).

Anyways, Amazon claims the book is coming out August 15th, with seems about right, I seem to remember hearing that the book should, in theory, be out at Gen Con, which is Aug 13-16.

Frag! I was so hoping I would have the limited edition before GenCon so I could get it signed!

+Quote Post
Mr. Mage
post Jun 25 2009, 11:26 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,317

QUOTE (EnlitenedDespot @ Jun 25 2009, 07:57 AM) *
Also, has anyone heard a planned release date for the physical book? I love the pdf but hot damn the physical book sometimes just actually works better for me...

I know what you mean, sometimes a hardcopy of a Book is just so much easier to read through. I have PDFs of pretty much all of the books...but I try to get Hardcopies of all the ones I use a lot.

Also, forgive me my ignorance, but is the SR4A Book radically different than the standard SR4 core rulebook? Other than being a collector's item, obviousy. I guess what I'm asking is, could SR4A be considered SR 4.5 or something (Kind of like DnD 3.0 and 3.5)

+Quote Post
Chibu
post Jun 25 2009, 11:45 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,102

QUOTE (Cardul @ Jun 25 2009, 06:17 AM) *
Frag! I was so hoping I would have the limited edition before GenCon so I could get it signed!

I think the website said they were only going to be selling 10 copies of SR4A each day at GenCon... So, if you want one, you'll need to act fast. But, if you do get one, there's nothing that would stop from getting it signed then and there.

And actually, even though I don't really like SR4... the Anniversary edition is really well designed, so I might actually pick up a hard copy of it sometime; Ya know... to make my shelf look pretty.

QUOTE (Mr. Mage @ Jun 25 2009, 06:26 AM) *
Also, forgive me my ignorance, but is the SR4A Book radically different than the standard SR4 core rulebook? Other than being a collector's item, obviousy. I guess what I'm asking is, could SR4A be considered SR 4.5 or something (Kind of like DnD 3.0 and 3.5)

SR4A has the Errata in it, so there's no going to websites to find changes. Also, yes, it is very nicely made (er, designed rather. I've obviously never seen a physical one (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif) ). There seems to be a decent amount of stuff added as well. THe book is slightly longer I believe. There may have been more explinations and whatever added.

However, no. It is not at all like DnD 3->3.5. Yes, they did balance a few things from the original printing, but not nearly on the scale of DnD 3.5. Now, I haven't made a complete side-by-side comparison or anything. But, it's more like there were a few tweaks on things that slipped through the cracks in the original. But for the most part, if you take SR4 core and look at the errata, you'll have pretty much what SR4A is.

+Quote Post
EnlitenedDespot
post Jun 25 2009, 11:58 AM
Post #7

Target

Well, I look forward to the opportunity to actually buy the physical book.

As for the pdf my friend has, does he have an outdated one? It is the 20th anniversary pdf, but like I said above, I've read on the forums that the OR tables were going to be increased to 1, 2, 4, 6 (like they are in my friend's pdf), but were lowered back down to 1, 2, 3, 5...? Also, the extra drain on direct damage spells is listed in my friend's pdf but I've read that this has been changed to an optional rule.

+Quote Post
deek
post Jun 25 2009, 12:14 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,814

I know that the Threshold table was initially increased to 1, 2, 4, 6 and in my first PDF that is how it looked, but I just redownloaded the PDF last night and they are back down to 1, 2, 3, 5 as the last errata indicated. So, I'd say your friend's PDF is outdated.

+Quote Post
EnlitenedDespot
post Jun 25 2009, 12:33 PM
Post #9

Target

Well then, I'll see if he can't update it or just get it on my own. Thanks!

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Jun 25 2009, 12:56 PM
Post #10

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

QUOTE (Chibu @ Jun 25 2009, 05:45 AM) *
The book is slightly longer I believe. There may have been more explinations and whatever added.

The size is likely due to the inclusion of more fiction, the combined index giving you page references for all of the core rulebooks (Arse, Aug, etc.), and the inclusion of some of the skills and stuff that was introduced in the other rulebooks in the printing of the main book. Linked from the top of the forum is a list of the errata changes and the rest of the rules are in the other books, so while I would recommend getting it for the organizational improvements, you can use the documented changes to update an earlier printing or PDF without purchasing the new one.

+Quote Post
deek
post Jun 25 2009, 02:14 PM
Post #11

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,814

QUOTE (EnlitenedDespot @ Jun 25 2009, 07:33 AM) *
Well then, I'll see if he can't update it or just get it on my own. Thanks!

Its only $25 and that comes with free PDF updates whenever they are made available. Its definitely worth it!

+Quote Post
Tiger Eyes
post Jun 25 2009, 02:54 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,508

QUOTE (Chibu @ Jun 25 2009, 06:45 AM) *
I think the website said they were only going to be selling 10 copies of SR4A each day at GenCon... So, if you want one, you'll need to act fast. But, if you do get one, there's nothing that would stop from getting it signed then and there.

The website said 10 a day at Origins. Which is this week. Gencon is a different story. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Malachi
post Jun 25 2009, 03:01 PM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 12,350

QUOTE (Mr. Mage @ Jun 25 2009, 05:26 AM) *

There's a lot of good changes in it.
* All of the previous errata from the core rulebook is now included, along with additional rule tweaks (increase OR Threshold, higher ranged combat penalties, more expensive Activesofts...).
* Some of the additional skills and equipment that were previously released in the supplements are now part of the core book (Chemistry, Aracana skills, Customized Cyberlimbs).
* Archetypes now actually follow the character creation rules. We (myself and the other proofreaders) went over those guys in great detail. They are ship-shape now, I promise.
* The entire Wireless World chapter has been rewritten. The rules weren't changed, but greatly reorganized. I find the chapter much easier to understand now. It's fabulous.
* All of the "standard" opponents in the Friends and Foes section got a buff to their stats and equipment. They're not all quite so wussy now, you can actually use them to challenge PC's.
* Too many little tweaks to count. The proofreaders (myself included) went over the entire book twice (some of us three times) suggesting many many little tweaks to the wording all over the book to make things clearer.
* Artwork! the entire thing is now in Full Colour, with (almost) all new artwork from front to back. (IMO) The art from the basic core book was very disappointing but this stuff really brings back the true "feel" of Shadowrun.

+Quote Post
Chibu
post Jun 25 2009, 03:14 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,102

QUOTE (Tiger Eyes @ Jun 25 2009, 09:54 AM) *
The website said 10 a day at Origins. Which is this week. Gencon is a different story. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Yeah, I didn't re-check before I posted. Does that mean they'll have alot of them at GenCon?

*Note to self: re-check before posting* (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

QUOTE (Malachi @ Jun 25 2009, 10:01 AM) *
* Artwork! the entire thing is now in Full Colour, with (almost) all new artwork from front to back. (IMO) The art from the basic core book was very disappointing but this stuff really brings back the true "feel" of Shadowrun.

Yeah, That's actually one of the main reasons I might buy a physical copy even though I don't play. I love the artwork in it. It's a very well made book.

+Quote Post
the_dunner
post Jun 25 2009, 04:01 PM
Post #15

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,522

QUOTE (Chibu @ Jun 25 2009, 11:14 AM) *
Yeah, I didn't re-check before I posted. Does that mean they'll have alot of them at GenCon?

I hesitate to type this, but -- as long as the boat doesn't sink. (Anybody play 40K about 10 years ago? Remember when the shipment of Eldar Grav Tanks sank to the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean?) Joking aside, there are any number of complications that could arise between now and then, which is why we don't announce street dates until they're safely in the warehouse.

+Quote Post
Tiger Eyes
post Jun 25 2009, 04:30 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,508

QUOTE (the_dunner @ Jun 25 2009, 12:01 PM) *
I hesitate to type this, but -- as long as the boat doesn't sink. (Anybody play 40K about 10 years ago? Remember when the shipment of Eldar Grav Tanks sank to the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean?) Joking aside, there are any number of complications that could arise between now and then, which is why we don't announce street dates until they're safely in the warehouse.

Pirates. The entire ship could be overtaken by pirates. Although... that would be more appropriate for the Vice shipment...

+Quote Post
Mr. Mage
post Jun 25 2009, 04:36 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,317

QUOTE (Chibu @ Jun 25 2009, 11:45 AM) *

And actually, even though I don't really like SR4... the Anniversary edition is really well designed, so I might actually pick up a hard copy of it sometime; Ya know... to make my shelf look pretty.

SR4A has the Errata in it, so there's no going to websites to find changes. Also, yes, it is very nicely made (er, designed rather. I've obviously never seen a physical one (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif) ). There seems to be a decent amount of stuff added as well. THe book is slightly longer I believe. There may have been more explinations and whatever added.

However, no. It is not at all like DnD 3->3.5. Yes, they did balance a few things from the original printing, but not nearly on the scale of DnD 3.5. Now, I haven't made a complete side-by-side comparison or anything. But, it's more like there were a few tweaks on things that slipped through the cracks in the original. But for the most part, if you take SR4 core and look at the errata, you'll have pretty much what SR4A is.

Ok...that's good...So I won't have to go and relearn too much about SR4 then...

+Quote Post
Kerenshara
post Jun 25 2009, 11:40 PM
Post #18

Shooting Target

Member No.: 17,166

QUOTE (Malachi @ Jun 25 2009, 10:01 AM) *

Oh, I hope they keep that picture of the AR perspective walking down the street complete with spam, addes, IMs, targeting and warning data. It is SO visual and helpful for helping new players Grok what life in AR would really be like. (Now, if they colorized or replaced it with something equivalent in color...)

+Quote Post
Adam
post Jun 26 2009, 12:06 AM
Post #19

Prime Runner

Member No.: 51

There's a bunch of illos that feature AR in the book, and more coming in future books, of course. The piece you're thinking of is not, however -- but thanks for the kind words. It was fun to pull together at virtually the last minute. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Wiseman
post Jun 26 2009, 03:09 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,911

^^What they all said. Well worth it.

As much as I love hardcopy, the ease of searching makes me reconsider HC vs electronic. I'll probably still buy book though.

+Quote Post
Prime Mover
post Jun 29 2009, 04:16 AM
Post #21

Shooting Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 9,313

I see they've gone back and tweaked things with drain and thresholds but what about the missing entry for Synthetic Cyber Skull? I remember someone saying it had been left out?

+Quote Post
TheOOB
post Jun 29 2009, 07:02 AM
Post #22

Running Target

Member No.: 10,749

The changes are cataloged quite nicely here: http://shadowrun4.com/resources/sr4a/sr4a_changes.pdf

It's not a new system, not even close, though some of the changes are significant. Mostly though the book just has a much better presentation and is a little more clear.

My SR4 book is pretty ragged anyways, so I can't wait for the dead tree copy to come out. Already got my order on Amazon.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:18 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.