Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sustenance vs Sleep Regulator
Cray74
post Jun 26 2009, 11:01 PM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,860

I figure the answer is, "Only one works," but I'll ask anyway...

The Adept power Sustenance allows an adept to get by with 3 hours a night. The Sleep Regulator allows a user to get by on 3 hours a night.

Can they stack? If so, what do they change sleep periods to, 1.5 hours a night?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jun 26 2009, 11:08 PM
Post #2

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

Sustenance also means only needing one full meal per day.
Dunno if it stacks, but what could you actually accomplish in that measly 1,5 hours more of time you get per day?
Especially, if everybody else has neither the regulator NOR sustenance and thus needs the full sleepy time?

+Quote Post
Angelone
post Jun 27 2009, 01:02 AM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 7,409

You get that much more time on guard because everyone else needs their beauty sleep. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)
Not sure they stack, but I agree why would you want both?

+Quote Post
Rayzorblades
post Jun 27 2009, 01:20 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,542

I think they should stack. From my POV, the power makes your sleep "battery" recharge faster, whereas the regulator makes your recuperative sleep processes more efficient.

They both reduce your sleep to .37 of the normal requirement, so having both should make your sleep 3 hours x 0.37 = 1.11 or about 67 minutes.

67 minutes of sleep a night is pretty sweet. Think of the all night hacks you could do or the 2 full-time regular jobs you could do while still having more than enough waking time for fun.

Oh and just to add some realism to this (as that's my hobby, trying to make the fantastic real) Dean Karnazes sleeps 4 hours a night, which he attributes to his diet coupled with the fact that he's got one of the greatest physiques on Earth. And Steve Pavlina, an internet self-help guy, had mastered polyphasic sleeping, getting an average of 90 minutes per day.

I myself was a poly-napper for a month and it is a real head-fuck but also was one of the most fun times I've had in my life.

+Quote Post
Kerenshara
post Jun 27 2009, 05:20 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 17,166

You know, it's funny, because I asked my GM just that question last night, and he gave me the Evil Eye.

Remember, the "Sleep Regulator" has one special advantage over Sustenance: It extends the length of time before you start getting "sleep deprived" whereas the power just reduces the amout of time you need to be well rested.

It might be worth taking both together just for the synergestic advantages (sleep-dep + single meal/trip to the ladies)

+Quote Post
Rayzorblades
post Jun 27 2009, 06:45 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,542

Oh just to add from my POV, a friend of a friend who I had partied with a few times was a regular user of provigil. He was a vegan with an intense exercise regime. He slept 4 hours every TWO days, no joke. I didn't believe it at first but he was always around to party, had a fulltime school schedule in Uni with math and physics and worked a fulltime job at our local call center. It's what actually got me interested in diminishing sleep experiments. He explained it to me almost exactly like this:

168 hours in a week
152 minus sleep on a bad week
112 minus work
52 left for free time after spending 60 hours a week at school and studying

He said after diet and exercise, the most important things were time management and plenty of provigil.

Also I'll stop hijacking this thread now. Sorry.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jun 27 2009, 06:50 PM
Post #7

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Rayzorblades @ Jun 27 2009, 12:45 PM) *
Oh just to add from my POV, a friend of a friend who I had partied with a few times was a regular user of provigil. He was a vegan with an intense exercise regime. He slept 4 hours every TWO days, no joke. I didn't believe it at first but he was always around to party, had a fulltime school schedule in Uni with math and physics and worked a fulltime job at our local call center. It's what actually got me interested in diminishing sleep experiments. He explained it to me almost exactly like this:

168 hours in a week
112 minus work

He said after diet and exercise, the most important things were time management and plenty of provigil.

Interesting... I have on occassion gone for prolonged periods of sleep (particularly when I was engaged in Combat Operations in the Corps), but it was never for very extended periods of time (I stayed up for almost 5 days straight once, and then crashed for over 30 hours afterwards)... that was almost 20 years ago and I would never make it now, nor even attempt it... Hell, I have a hard enough time staying up past 2300 on normal gaming nights (probably has a lot to do with my son getting up at the crack of dawn every morning)...

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Jun 28 2009, 07:47 PM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 2,860

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jun 27 2009, 01:50 PM) *
Hell, I have a hard enough time staying up past 2300 on normal gaming nights

I follow you. About 10 years ago, toward the end of my undergrad years, I gave up on my teenage-derived need to stay up 'til midnight "on principle." Getting 8 hours of sleep from a wimpy 10pm to 6am was so much more worth it than the pride of staying up until midnight or later just cuz I was 'mature' enough to stay up late.

But now my gaming group includes a regular who doesn't get out of work until 1130pm on weekends, sometimes 10pm if he's not closing the restaurant, so 5am gaming sessions are the norm. I didn't even pull that crap when I was a teenager except in a few all-night BBS on-line game sessions.

Reality suddenly makes concepts like the manic hacker/programmer and all-nighter college student/runner seem so much closer. Hence, the questions about the combination of sustenance and sleep regulator.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jun 28 2009, 08:33 PM
Post #9

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Cray74 @ Jun 28 2009, 01:47 PM) *
I follow you. About 10 years ago, toward the end of my undergrad years, I gave up on my teenage-derived need to stay up 'til midnight "on principle." Getting 8 hours of sleep from a wimpy 10pm to 6am was so much more worth it than the pride of staying up until midnight or later just cuz I was 'mature' enough to stay up late.

But now my gaming group includes a regular who doesn't get out of work until 1130pm on weekends, sometimes 10pm if he's not closing the restaurant, so 5am gaming sessions are the norm. I didn't even pull that crap when I was a teenager except in a few all-night BBS on-line game sessions.

Reality suddenly makes concepts like the manic hacker/programmer and all-nighter college student/runner seem so much closer. Hence, the questions about the combination of sustenance and sleep regulator.

Much like Kerenshara... I would probably do everything that I could, short of actually mortgaging my soul, to have something like a Sleep Regulator... The drugs just do not cut it anymore...

+Quote Post
Dumori
post Jun 28 2009, 11:08 PM
Post #10

Dumorimasoddaa

Member No.: 15,830

If I could remove the need to sleep I would be a happy happy man. As my insomnia makes sleep a chore as well not needing it would be awesome.

+Quote Post
Shinobi Killfist
post Jun 29 2009, 03:47 AM
Post #11

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 5,872

QUOTE (Rayzorblades @ Jun 27 2009, 01:45 PM) *

168 hours in a week
112 minus work

In my youth I never slept past 4 hours a night, and I gave up sleep on weekends to game. Nowadays Its i can't sleep past 6 hours even if I wanted to. I eat like crap and always have and the only reason I exercise now is my doctor is cracking the whip about my blood pressure. I know plenty of vegans and vegetarians that get the full 8 or more every day. My point is other than the provigil(and its a big other) his lack of a need for sleep was probably more based on him rather than his diet or exercise. People tend to seem to have a need to find a reason for why there body works in a certain way trying to tie it into there habits, but lots of times its just how your body works. Sometimes you just got the good or bad luck of the gene draw.

+Quote Post
Machiavelli
post Jun 29 2009, 08:15 AM
Post #12

Shooting Target

Member No.: 1,749

Depriving sleep? I like sleeping, so why should i want to avoid it?^^ For real: i have no problem with waking up really early but i get seroius problems staying awake after 10 pm. The only thing that makes me going on after this time, is having fun (Sr-sessions usually last until 4-5 o´clock am) or the chance of having "love-time". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) But at some point, my body forces me to sleep and if i refuse i have to face nausea etc. During my army times i once refused to stand up after we got an test-alarm, because i wasn´t capable to stand up again.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jun 29 2009, 11:38 AM
Post #13

The ShadowComedian

Bah, Morning Person <.<
I can't get up before 10 o clock without Problems.
Heck, if one would let me, i would go to bed about 5 o clock in the morning and wake up at 5 o clock in the evening <.<

+Quote Post
Machiavelli
post Jun 29 2009, 12:43 PM
Post #14

Shooting Target

Member No.: 1,749

Maybe you know my former father-in-law. He´s an obsessive WOW-player and he has this sleep/wake-cycle. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jun 29 2009, 03:08 PM
Post #15

The ShadowComedian

Nope, had this Cycle for close to 25 Years now . . as you can imagine, school life was a bitch x.x

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:34 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.