2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Why buy a retrans unit?
kigmatzomat
post Jun 29 2009, 06:05 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
From: Louisville, KY (Well, Memphis, IN technically but you won't know where that is.)
Member No.: 7,626

I just noticed the bit on p.50 of Unwired that states commlinks, vehicles and other wireless nodes act to extend the matrix in areas without dedicated MSP nodes. (yeah, that's the very definition of a mesh network but SR4 hasn't been real good at sticking to real-world concepts)

As far as I can tell, that pretty much makes a retrans unit obsolete. Which wouldn't be as much of an issue if there wasn't a retrans drone *in* Unwired.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kingboy
post Jun 29 2009, 06:15 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,907

Retrans units are essentially Electronic Warfare toys that can help Riggers in areas where there is no wireless, or where they expect to encounter heavy jamming resistance. Also works well paired with Non-Standard Wireless link to run somewhat hidden.

Could the Rigger use a Satellite Link in those situations? Sure, but both nodes would have to be equipped with one, and it adds lag time (reduces Response if I remember correctly, rules-wise) that may be detrimental to the health and welfare of both your drones and teammates.

+Quote Post
Method
post Jun 29 2009, 06:31 PM
Post #3

Street Doc

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,114

I think the real advantage (as Kingboy mentioned) is for establishing a long-range network independent of the Matrix and other users that can operate despite jamming.

+Quote Post
Malachi
post Jun 29 2009, 07:39 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 12,350

No, I think he means that any device with a Signal rating can act as a retransmitter and thus a dedicated "Retrans" unit isn't necessary.

+Quote Post
Walknuki
post Jun 29 2009, 08:09 PM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 6,869

Well you could sit back, send a retrans drone out to the edge of your signal, and then do your dirty work from the safty of the extra distance. Add in several drones chained together and some open space and you could be blocks away from the action in a city, or miles away in open terrain.

Even better you load up your drone with all sorts of crazy IC and only accept external signals through your drone. Someone hacking your system? Cut the connection to the drone and the hacker's cut off.

The key benefit I see from a retrans drone is mobility. You control where you signal extends too instead of hoping your target makes it within your signal range.

+Quote Post
TBRMInsanity
post Jun 29 2009, 08:47 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 8,494

A retran drone would also have a higher bandwidth then a mesh net of different commlinks. At least you would think so. I'm going to have to go back over the rules to check.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jun 29 2009, 09:13 PM
Post #7

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

Because having a very long cable of Fiber Optic line to stay safe and sound at home base is just too easy to trace back to you.

+Quote Post
DuctShuiTengu
post Jun 29 2009, 09:41 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,162

The part that really should embarass the repeater drone is that it doesn't even do that good a job of it. Most of the other minidrones could be modified to be just as good as signal repeaters for less than the cost of buying a repeater drone.

+Quote Post
DWC
post Jun 29 2009, 10:18 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Member No.: 13,526

Anything with a signal of 6 will do all the things a retrans unit will. The wireless matrix is repeatedly stated to have functionally infinite bandwidth. Every wireless device is fully routable, even to traffic that does not have legitimate access to that node. The Retrans Unit is a cool idea, but as far as I can tell, the only use for it is getting a Signal 6 node at character creation without having to burn a feat for Restricted Gear.

+Quote Post
Dumori
post Jun 29 2009, 11:34 PM
Post #10

Dumorimasoddaa

Member No.: 15,830

It ha uses but they are lacking. If playing in an open environment retrans units are useful. If only as you can set them to directional with a decent signal hard to hack to notice the drone thats reallying from one fixed point a long way away. However I would houserule them to be better.

+Quote Post
Traul
post Jun 29 2009, 11:35 PM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 17,229

It is also cheaper than a boosted commlink, isn't it?

+Quote Post
kigmatzomat
post Jun 30 2009, 12:05 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

From: Louisville, KY (Well, Memphis, IN technically but you won't know where that is.)
Member No.: 7,626

QUOTE (TBRMInsanity @ Jun 29 2009, 03:47 PM) *
A retran drone would also have a higher bandwidth then a mesh net of different commlinks. At least you would think so. I'm going to have to go back over the rules to check.

By the RAW matrix connections have near-infinite bandwidth. IRL a mesh network is capable of providing more bandwidth and possibly lower latency depending on the number of links and their routes.

+Quote Post
BlackJaw
post Jun 30 2009, 12:57 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,213

I'm going from memory here (at work without books,) but I recall noticing this last week while playing with "subtle drones" ideas.

By my reading of the SRA modified rules: A drone can normally only have it's signal rating boosted to Base (drones tend to be 2 or 3) +2, so it would cap at 4 or 5.
The SRA adds in an upgrade ($1,000) that lets you use any response or signal you want to plug in. Uses up 1 slot.
Then you could install a Signal 6, which is $3,000 ($4,000 & 1 slot total.)
Retrans is $4,000 and is effectively a signal 6 using up 1 slot.

The main diffrence:
A retrans unit is a second Signal rating, so a Drone with Pilot 3 and a Retrans has both Signal 3 and Signal 6. I don't know how often that would be important, other then say jamming on the fly.
A retrans unit does not let you upgrade the Response.
Retrans is easier to get your hands on then an off the shelf Signal 6, which is important at character creation.

+Quote Post
Falconer
post Jun 30 2009, 01:23 AM
Post #14

Neophyte Runner

Group: Validating
Member No.: 13,662

Blackjaw... I read it a little bit differently.

I agree w/ the first part... it's basically a way for any piece of electrical gear to get signal rating 6 and mechanically it's identical to buying the upgrade for 1000, then buying the 3000 signal chip. (since SR4a came out after, I'd consider that mod route superceding this one in fact as it does the same thing for the same cost and allows for higher and lower grade signal upgrades).

PreSR4a: it was pointless, because it' was cheaper to just upgrade signal to 6 using a signal upgrade which didn't eat up space
PostSR4a: another mod appears w/ identical cost which allows for wider selection of signal upgrades.

On the second part, I completely disagree, from a mechanical perspective... it makes no sense for the drone to have two signal ratings. From a mechanics perspective of the matrix, all devices operate as retrans anyhow. And if the retrans did pick something up, there's zero reason it couldn't talk internally w/ the drone effectively replacing the drones signal as it's outright betterin all aspects.

It's only purpose in life is to give signal6+ to devices which normally couldn't have it.

On the last point, I think you found it's only advantage, it's the only way to get signal 6 out of chargen. As the signal chip is 16, it's only a 12. Though w/ the upgrade mod in SR4a... I'd eliminate it and ignore it, rather than leave a signal6 out of chargen loophole.

+Quote Post
Method
post Jun 30 2009, 03:55 PM
Post #15

Street Doc

To revisit my point: if you rely on mesh networking to extend your range you have no control over what frequencies and channels your signal is being routed through, meaning any amount of area jamming (your's or your enemy's) will fuck up your ability to command your drones. If you use a retrans unit you can create a long range network that is unaffected by your jamming and easier to protect from enemy jamming.

That is what a retrans unit is good for.

+Quote Post
Malachi
post Jun 30 2009, 04:12 PM
Post #16

Running Target

QUOTE (Method @ Jun 30 2009, 09:55 AM) *
To revisit my point: if you rely on mesh networking to extend your range you have no control over what frequencies and channels your signal is being routed through, meaning any amount of area jamming (your's or your enemy's) will fuck up your ability to command your drones. If you use a retrans unit you can create a long range network that is unaffected by your jamming and easier to protect from enemy jamming.

That is what a retrans unit is good for.

... and I'll revisit mine. Any drone with a Signal 6 can do the job of a Retrans unit: it can repeat the signals of any network, the "public matrix" or a private network of just your drones. The change in SR4A the limits Signal upgrades puts a Retrans unit back into the realm of "useful" since (as Blackjaw pointed out) it is cheaper if all you want is a drone with a Signal of 6.

+Quote Post
Method
post Jun 30 2009, 04:21 PM
Post #17

Street Doc

I don't see our answers as mutually exclusive. He didn't ask "Whats the most cost effective way to extend my network range?" He asked "What is the retrans unit good for?" I would argue that having 2 viable options for extending signal range (retrans unit and signal 6 commlink) doesn't make one or the other "obsolete" (to use kingmatzomat's word) any more than mages make shaman obsolete, adepts make cybersams obsolete or the Ares Alpha makes all the other ARs obsolete. They are just different options.

+Quote Post
Night Jackal
post Jun 30 2009, 04:26 PM
Post #18

Target

Member No.: 16,789

Retrans helps for Slaving your drones at range. Since it just forwards the signal it keeps the subscription connect directly to the Commlink of the Rigger.

You can't Slave the Non-retrans drone cause it would forward all your subscribe requests back to you.

Think of the Retrans as a way extend your PAN. Without it you would have to beef up your inbetween drones to prevent hacking.

Also the Repeater drone is about 1k less then the mod and has multiple transmitters built in which still leaves you with 4 more mods you can do.

Another use is to sit outside a build that is wireless proof and beam a laser link though a window to your repeater drone. Now you have a signal inside the building and continue rigging from your car.

+Quote Post
Malachi
post Jun 30 2009, 04:31 PM
Post #19

Running Target

QUOTE (Night Jackal @ Jun 30 2009, 10:26 AM) *
Retrans helps for Slaving your drones at range. Since it just forwards the signal it keeps the subscription connect directly to the Commlink of the Rigger.

That's an interesting point. Without a Retrans unit, you would need to slave the "end point" drone to the repeater drone which is in turn slaved to your Commlink. If the repeater drone has a Retrans unit, the "end point" drone can continue to be slaved just to your Commlink. I think in the end its a wash as far as being hacked goes (the intruder still needs to hack into your Commlink) but it would make a slight difference in tracking Subscription slots and such.

+Quote Post
Kingboy
post Jun 30 2009, 04:35 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,907

You could always mod up the Retrans drone with laser/microwave links too, in order to have less hackable communication between the Retrans unit and the drones it is supporting. Easier to use those sort of things when they are in a Retrans Blimp parked over the combat zone with (hopefully) clear lines of sight.

+Quote Post
Cheops
post Jun 30 2009, 04:38 PM
Post #21

Shooting Target

Member No.: 392

1) Can get it at character creation
2) Doesn't eat up a slot that could be spent on some other more useful trick
3) Bypass wifi inhibiting paint without wasting another more useful drone

+Quote Post
Night Jackal
post Jun 30 2009, 04:59 PM
Post #22

Target

repeater drone which is in turn slaved to your Commlink

As I said you can't slave the non-retrans to your commlink as it would not pass the other signals to anything other then yourself.

Retrans and not to retrans is only important if you use slaving to help protect your drones. If you don't then bouncing signal with another drone is fine but the subscriptions list is based on your 2xresponse of the intermediate drones and not your comm.

Non-retrans Cons

Can't slave your drones.
Limited to your intermediate drones response for number of subscribe channels.
Your Icon is in two places (intermediate drone and your commlink.)
Your Intermediate drone becomes the Hub of your Pan....

Retrans Cons.

Cost you extra mod slot and 4k + extra drone.

+Quote Post
DuctShuiTengu
post Jun 30 2009, 05:10 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,162

QUOTE (Night Jackal @ Jun 30 2009, 06:26 PM) *

You can't Slave the Non-retrans drone cause it would forward all your subscribe requests back to you.

Think of the Retrans as a way extend your PAN. Without it you would have to beef up your inbetween drones to prevent hacking.

Also the Repeater drone is about 1k less then the mod and has multiple transmitters built in which still leaves you with 4 more mods you can do.

Another use is to sit outside a build that is wireless proof and beam a laser link though a window to your repeater drone. Now you have a signal inside the building and continue rigging from your car.

However, the Repeater Drone is only Signal 4.

+Quote Post
DWC
post Jun 30 2009, 05:26 PM
Post #24

Shooting Target

Member No.: 13,526

QUOTE (Night Jackal @ Jun 30 2009, 11:59 AM) *
As I said you can't slave the non-retrans to your commlink as it would not pass the other signals to anything other then yourself.

Retrans and not to retrans is only important if you use slaving to help protect your drones. If you don't then bouncing signal with another drone is fine but the subscriptions list is based on your 2xresponse of the intermediate drones and not your comm.

Non-retrans Cons

Can't slave your drones.
Limited to your intermediate drones response for number of subscribe channels.
Your Icon is in two places (intermediate drone and your commlink.)
Your Intermediate drone becomes the Hub of your Pan....

Retrans Cons.

Cost you extra mod slot and 4k + extra drone.

You don't need to subscribe to something to route traffic. If every piece of hardware in the matrix that was routing traffic opened a subscription for every packet it relayed, the entire system would crash as every device with 37 nodes within range of it would instantly drop to a Response of 0.

Every matrix accessible device has a constant flow of traffic through it because of how the wireless matrix works. Slaving a device means that only the master can connect to the software running the node, not that only the master can send traffic through the wireless antenna.

+Quote Post
Night Jackal
post Jun 30 2009, 07:02 PM
Post #25

Target

You don't need to subscribe to something to route traffic.

Nope you don't. You can send your commcode calls anywhere you want without subscribing it. But you have no control of the path it take to get to your buddy who is standing next to you. Its a mesh as it moves it switches where it comes from..as it gets closer to other nodes and further from one...to have it do anything else requires a subscription to control the path it takes. You can send a command signal to the pilot this way and be no worse then anything other method....

BUT You can't remote control or Jump-in to a drone without subscribing to it. Thus to use the a Drone as a router without Retrans. You have to Subscribe to the router drone then Subscribe the Router drone to Drone you wish to control...thus your icon is in 2 places...your commlink and the router drone.

The Retrans is a dedicated router unit that take a signals from one area to another bridging the to nodes without the stops inbetween. Thus a subscription passes through it with no problem as it is dedicated to routing your signals.

Hence all the talk about PANs. Without a Retrans, you end up making the commlink the slave...and one of your drones as the PAN Hub. Thus your Icon is in the Drone Router and commlink. Not bad thing just makes you in two places at once...which only dangerous if someone hacks your drone and decides to attack you in both nodes with an agent.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:26 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.