Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,002

From Unwired (p.90) "To prevent single virus or worm from infecting all
of their systems, many street samurai and other implant-heavy
runners front load a high firewall on critical access point like datajacks "
Question is:
Does that mean i can install Firewall and other programs
to datajack to protect it (and my implants)?.
(being "safer" from hacking and viruses when good commilink
(and its firewall and programs) is not available)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
McAllister
post Jul 1 2009, 05:37 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,282

I... how weird. Why would they write something like that? It makes no sense at all.

IIRC, installing Firewall on a datajack would only help if they were accessing your PAN through your datajack. If your commlink is wireless-enabled, they'll probably attack you through that, and if it's not, they have to be touching you to mess with smartlinked stuff. It just doesn't make sense. If I understand it correctly.

+Quote Post
Dragnar
post Jul 1 2009, 08:17 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,638

The point would be to have all your ware be wired together within your body with the only outside access being through the datajack, so you couldn't wirelessly hack his cybereyes, because they aren't wireless enabled in the first place.

And yes, you can install a better firewall on every electronic device or piece of ware. In fact, every electronic device already has a firewall installed, it's just that for ease of use, the values of the system attributes isn't specifically mentioned. There's a table somewhere in the BBB outlining baseline system attribute values.

+Quote Post
Stingray
post Jul 1 2009, 08:58 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,002

QUOTE (Dragnar @ Jul 1 2009, 11:17 AM) *
The point would be to have all your ware be wired together within your body with the only outside access being through the datajack, so you couldn't wirelessly hack his cybereyes, because they aren't wireless enabled in the first place.

And yes, you can install a better firewall on every electronic device or piece of ware. In fact, every electronic device already has a firewall installed, it's just that for ease of use, the values of the system attributes isn't specifically mentioned. There's a table somewhere in the BBB outlining baseline system attribute values.

..so by installing Firewall 6 and high Encryption to Datajack and slaving my implants to it
would "protect" them from hacking(when my crappy commlink is in use and plugged to my datajack)

I found solution to my problem.
1 "Work" Commlink w/good Firewall and needed programs running Hidden mode slaving implants and datajack
1 "Public" crappy Commlink (running Active mode) using goggles+headphones presenting needed Sin and other information

That way everything is protected and only problem is need to switch between them when situation changes..

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Jul 1 2009, 11:31 AM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 2,860

Isn't there a system limit on what software datajacks can run?

+Quote Post
Eleint
post Jul 1 2009, 03:28 PM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 17,063

Not for Firewall there isn't. Firewall is a seperate program entirely. Least as I recall. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Jul 1 2009, 11:47 PM
Post #7

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Member No.: 8,361

Not only that, but Beta or even Delta Grade 'Jacks are fairly cheap and can be turned into Chokepoints of Death without too much trouble.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:46 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.