Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What was the Rite of Succession?, Lore Question Yay
CodeBreaker
post Jul 2 2009, 10:05 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,249

Right. I have been working my way through all the Shadowrun lore/fluff stuff (Working backwards, from Forth Edition to First. I just hit the Second Edition stuff (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif) ) and something I cannot figure out is what the Rite of Succession stuff is. In that its mentioned a few times, like in the Ancient History stuff about dragons, but I have no idea what is was.

Anyone care to explain, or point me towards a source that explains it? (This isnt me being confused about the details, this is me completely lacking in knowledge about what it is)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Jul 2 2009, 10:12 PM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

It's a draconic ritual challenge acted out after a Great Dragon (or possibly a dragon) dies, to determine who can divvy up his stuff. In SR, a Rite of Succession was held after Dunkelzahn's demise in the campaign Survival of the Fittest. Its one of many draconic rites for determining general pecking-order.

+Quote Post
Kermit the Trog
post Jul 2 2009, 10:25 PM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 4,764

The Rite of Succession is the "traditional" way dragons decide who will inherit the wealth and position of a dead dragon. This is only used when a dragon dies from something other than being killed by another dragon, if killed by another dragon the killer inherits everything. Dunklezahn flouted this custom by using a will probated under human laws. Most dragons went along with this, especially Lofwyr who gained the best part of the deal by becoming "Loremaster." The only holdouts, most notably the great dragon Nachtmeister, were not in a position to enforce their desires.

The emergence of Ghostwalker changed this. In the campaign book "Survival of the Fittest" Gw forces a belated Rite over Lofwyr's position as "Loremaster" with surprising results.

Hope this is what you're looking for.

+Quote Post
CodeBreaker
post Jul 2 2009, 10:28 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,249

It is. Thats basically what I thought it was, however I was not certain. Gonna go and see if I can find a copy of Survival of the Fittest (Out of Print makes me a sad panda. The Internet having most of the older books stored away on file does not) and have a read up.

Thank you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotate.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:03 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.