IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Salish-Shidhe Council in 2070, Formaly Known as British Columbia, Canada and some of Washington, USA?
CanadianWolverin...
post Jul 4 2009, 07:11 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,309

I am looking for information on the setting around Seatle, which going by the map seems to Tir (Oregon) to the south and Salish-Shidhe Council around the rest, especially north. Where should I look in finding out what has happened to BC, Canada in Shadowrun's setting?

I'm hoping that I can incorporate it into how my character feels about the world he finds himself in.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CodeBreaker
post Jul 4 2009, 10:11 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,249

Lets see *cracks open his PDF files*

Runners Havens - I am not 100% sure on this, but I am fairly sure it has some stuff in the Seattle chapter that updates the info from the following books to 2070-ish
Shadows of North America - Probably has the most up to date general info on the Salish-Shidhi Council (2062). Fair bit here
Native American Nations One - Is mostly an Adventure book, but it has plenty of information in the later pages about all the different NAN states.

I dont want to promote piracy, but Shadows of North America and Native American Nations One is no longer in print, as far as I am aware, and so the only place you might find them is at conventions or online. Pirate Bay has a large collective file of almost all the Out of Print PDFs, might want to start there.

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Jul 5 2009, 02:54 AM
Post #3

King of the Hobos

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 127

QUOTE (CodeBreaker @ Jul 4 2009, 11:11 PM) *
I dont want to promote piracy, but Shadows of North America and Native American Nations One is no longer in print, as far as I am aware, and so the only place you might find them is at conventions or online. Pirate Bay has a large collective file of almost all the Out of Print PDFs, might want to start there.

Or you could check Amazon or one of the many used book sites on the internet, a quick browse shows multiple copies of Shadows of North America apparently in good condition for under five dollars plus whatever they're charging for postage.

+Quote Post
CodeBreaker
post Jul 5 2009, 02:57 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,249

Bah, I keep forgetting you Americans have access to much more backstock than the UK. I agree, if you are capable of getting such a copy on the cheap they are well worth it. (As an example, without resorting to oversea shipping the lowest price I can find for Shadows of North America in Scotland is about $50. To get it shipped from overseas would probably cost me about the same.)

+Quote Post
Megu
post Jul 5 2009, 04:24 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,268

Well, someone already mentioned Pirate Bay, so I guess I'm free to point out that rs.4chan.org will also have SoNA and NAN.

+Quote Post
'Sconnie
post Jul 5 2009, 01:05 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,152

I'd also look into a copy of System Failure. It describes the situation involving the SSC and Tsimshian post-crash.

+Quote Post
Adam
post Jul 5 2009, 02:26 PM
Post #7

Prime Runner

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 51

You can buy Shadows of North America as a PDF:

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info...d=3321&it=1
http://www.battlecorps.com/catalog/product...roducts_id=1654

Please refrain from the piracy talk, guys -- it's against the Dumpshock TOS.

+Quote Post
CanadianWolverin...
post Jul 5 2009, 02:46 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

QUOTE (Adam @ Jul 5 2009, 07:26 AM) *
You can buy Shadows of North America as a PDF:

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info...d=3321&it=1
http://www.battlecorps.com/catalog/product...roducts_id=1654

Please refrain from the piracy talk, guys -- it's against the Dumpshock TOS.

Any ideas if there are any plans to update the materials to 2070 or will it remain in the last generation (SR3?)?

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Jul 5 2009, 02:50 PM
Post #9

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

Once more I'm agreeing with Cain- jeez this happens a lot lately, is that a sign that we're closing in on 2012?

Seriously check out the shipping prices on Amazon US. I've bought a few things from Amazon's UK and Canadian branches that I couldn't get in the US and the price wasn't too bad.

The other option is to ask questions here. Besides the designers who show here some of us have been playing this for a long time, eek do I want to admit this? and have access to book and have weird stores of details. At least one maybe two of the old RoC books was set in Vancouver too.

The SS council for the longest time was defined by their obrders. they were the area surround the Seattle Metroplex so smugglers had to got through there, and some groups made a point of sheltering them so it was wear a smuggler could catch her breath going in or out.

To the north they had a hostile border with a police state, Tsimshian, that seemd to be like RL North Korea , and that took a lot of their serious military attention-which loosened things up for smugglers, but with Tsimshian collapsing and being absorbed by the SS council they are resetting their national priorities. in effect the won the war but now have a shattered province to rehabilitate. Think how after the fall of the Belrin Wall West Germany suddenly had to handle an impovrished backward East Germany, then make it much much worse.

+Quote Post
Adam
post Jul 5 2009, 02:52 PM
Post #10

Prime Runner

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 51

SSC will see some brief coverage in Seattle 2072 this year, but nothing extensive until at least next year.

+Quote Post
knasser
post Jul 5 2009, 02:56 PM
Post #11

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

I've purchased a large number of PDFs from DriveThruRPG.com. Shadows of North America is the one you want.

At some point, Catalyst will finally scan Shadows of Europe and I'll be able to buy that as well. Rrrrr.

+Quote Post
CanadianWolverin...
post Jul 5 2009, 04:00 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Jul 5 2009, 07:50 AM) *
Once more I'm agreeing with Cain- jeez this happens a lot lately, is that a sign that we're closing in on 2012?

Seriously check out the shipping prices on Amazon US. I've bought a few things from Amazon's UK and Canadian branches that I couldn't get in the US and the price wasn't too bad.

The other option is to ask questions here. Besides the designers who show here some of us have been playing this for a long time, eek do I want to admit this? and have access to book and have weird stores of details. At least one maybe two of the old RoC books was set in Vancouver too.

The SS council for the longest time was defined by their obrders. they were the area surround the Seattle Metroplex so smugglers had to got through there, and some groups made a point of sheltering them so it was wear a smuggler could catch her breath going in or out.

To the north they had a hostile border with a police state, Tsimshian, that seemd to be like RL North Korea , and that took a lot of their serious military attention-which loosened things up for smugglers, but with Tsimshian collapsing and being absorbed by the SS council they are resetting their national priorities. in effect the won the war but now have a shattered province to rehabilitate. Think how after the fall of the Belrin Wall West Germany suddenly had to handle an impovrished backward East Germany, then make it much much worse.

Very interesting! So if my character is from Vancouver (BC, Canada) [There is a Vancouver, Washington, USA as well IIRC from when the Hudson Bay Company moved their operations north. I am not recalling if that was before or after they had operations going in Victoria...], then it would be a bit like he experienced life in South Korea and it wouldn't be that hard to cross the border into Seatle where he is running?

Thank you very much for the information Snow Fox, you are a gem. I imagine your fellow runners are very glad to have you on their team. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/love.gif)

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Jul 5 2009, 08:58 PM
Post #13

King of the Hobos

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 127

QUOTE (Adam @ Jul 5 2009, 03:52 PM) *
SSC will see some brief coverage in Seattle 2072 this year, but nothing extensive until at least next year.

Next year you say?

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Jul 6 2009, 01:03 AM
Post #14

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

QUOTE (FlakJacket @ Jul 5 2009, 03:58 PM) *
Next year you say?

i believe he said "at least next year", which is a whole different kettle of fish.

+Quote Post
Cheops
post Jul 6 2009, 07:10 PM
Post #15

Shooting Target

Member No.: 392

QUOTE (CanadianWolverine @ Jul 5 2009, 04:00 PM) *
Very interesting! So if my character is from Vancouver (BC, Canada) [There is a Vancouver, Washington, USA as well IIRC from when the Hudson Bay Company moved their operations north. I am not recalling if that was before or after they had operations going in Victoria...], then it would be a bit like he experienced life in South Korea and it wouldn't be that hard to cross the border into Seatle where he is running?

Thank you very much for the information Snow Fox, you are a gem. I imagine your fellow runners are very glad to have you on their team. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/love.gif)

They would have already had operations in Victoria since they operated along the whole coast and Victoria was a colony long before BC was. Vancouver, BC itself if pretty young since the original colonial capital was in New Westminster. (hell most of what is today Vancouver was still forest when my Grandfather moved here from Saskatchewan after WW2)

If you are playing in Vancouver specifically you might want to check out the novel "Tails you Lose" from Shadowrun. It is set entirely in Greater Vancouver. (And I found it quite entertaining)

One key thing is that some Fung Shui practitioners tried to realign the local dragon lines by using the runways at YVR. As a result of this several nasty earthquakes got triggered turning Richmond into the local (and seemingly obligatory) Barrens.

+Quote Post
CanadianWolverin...
post Jul 7 2009, 12:20 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

QUOTE (Cheops @ Jul 6 2009, 12:10 PM) *
They would have already had operations in Victoria since they operated along the whole coast and Victoria was a colony long before BC was. Vancouver, BC itself if pretty young since the original colonial capital was in New Westminster. (hell most of what is today Vancouver was still forest when my Grandfather moved here from Saskatchewan after WW2)

If you are playing in Vancouver specifically you might want to check out the novel "Tails you Lose" from Shadowrun. It is set entirely in Greater Vancouver. (And I found it quite entertaining)

One key thing is that some Fung Shui practitioners tried to realign the local dragon lines by using the runways at YVR. As a result of this several nasty earthquakes got triggered turning Richmond into the local (and seemingly obligatory) Barrens.

Hehe, that is funny. Thank you for sharing that and I will be sure to see if I can pick up the book at my local library or Chapters or what have you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotate.gif)

Something I just realized, now that I think about it, my Grandfather came from around their after WW2 as well, did a bunch of logging. He sure did have some interesting stories from WW2 and logging sunken fresh water old growth with him was fun. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Thanks for helping me recall my history books, yeah BC was a pretty wild place in the past, still is to a good degree if you know how to step off the regular beaten paths. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/love.gif)

+Quote Post
Cheops
post Jul 7 2009, 01:23 AM
Post #17

Shooting Target

Member No.: 392

lol...yeah. It's because of all the mountains and the temperate rainforest. Makes everything pretty isolated. There was a reason why the first few season of X-Files were so spooky.

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Jul 10 2009, 02:22 AM
Post #18

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

Tails You Lose, right that was the name of one of the books.,You get the club scene and when it talks about a war memorial it give a great feel for the city itself.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:14 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.