Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Would you allow this? Gear Question
jmeis982
post Jul 23 2009, 08:41 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,702

I'm looking at getting some custom gear for my Infiltrator. He's an established runner and I was curious what the GM's out there would put on this as a price or if they'd rule it unavailable.

I want a molded helmet, with a mirror/polarized visor(base 100). with Vision Enhancement 3 (300), and Ultrasound (1000) visual mods, and Audio Enhancement 3 (300)
I'm also thinking about adding a respirator to the helmet.

I was inspired when I saw an ad online for a motorcycle helmet with a HUD and bluetooth headphones built in.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tycho
post Jul 23 2009, 09:21 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,495

I would allow this, it is nothing more than a helmet with integratet Sensor package.

cya
Tycho

+Quote Post
DV8
post Jul 23 2009, 09:46 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 116

I agree, this seems pretty standard. It only starts to become really interesting when you're picking gear with an insane availability rating or very, very illegal.

+Quote Post
Medicineman
post Jul 23 2009, 09:54 AM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,015

if the Availiability won't exceed the Limit sure,why not.Thats Standard Issue in my Games

Hough!
Medicineman

+Quote Post
Summerstorm
post Jul 23 2009, 10:13 AM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 17,225

Like the others: Of course.

Looks perfectly ok... i wouldn't even blink an eye if asked.

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Jul 23 2009, 10:24 AM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,665

QUOTE (jmeis982 @ Jul 23 2009, 04:41 AM) *
I'm looking at getting some custom gear for my Infiltrator. He's an established runner and I was curious what the GM's out there would put on this as a price or if they'd rule it unavailable.

I want a molded helmet, with a mirror/polarized visor(base 100). with Vision Enhancement 3 (300), and Ultrasound (1000) visual mods, and Audio Enhancement 3 (300)

I was inspired when I saw an ad online for a motorcycle helmet with a HUD and bluetooth headphones built in.

Hell this might be the bleeding edge of motorcycle protective gear, but it's not anything insane.

As for availability concerns, most of these can be considered armor add-ons.

+Quote Post
Dancer
post Jul 23 2009, 03:02 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,659

A motorcycle helmet is pretty bulky so there shouldn't be any problem fitting all that stuff in it, and it's not like any of it's illegal. So pay your money and place your order.

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Jul 23 2009, 03:10 PM
Post #8

Great Dragon

Member No.: 16,387

QUOTE (jmeis982 @ Jul 23 2009, 03:41 AM) *

Securetech PPP Helmet (0/2 armor, 100 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) ), with an integrated R2 Camera (R3 Vision Enhancement, Ultrasound [1,500 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) ]), and integrated R1 Microphone (R3 Audio Enhancement [400 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) ]). Grand Total: 2,000 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) , by the book. In fact, you still have 1 more capacity point.

+Quote Post
RedeemerofOgar
post Jul 23 2009, 07:19 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,219

QUOTE (Neraph @ Jul 23 2009, 10:10 AM) *
Securetech PPP Helmet (0/2 armor, 100 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) ), with an integrated R2 Camera (R3 Vision Enhancement, Ultrasound [1,500 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) ]), and integrated R1 Microphone (R3 Audio Enhancement [400 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) ]). Grand Total: 2,000 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) , by the book. In fact, you still have 1 more capacity point.

I went with the +1/+2 helmet base, but otherwise add lowlight and that's pretty much what my mage is wearing. I didn't go basic Ultrasound though, I upgraded to the Ultrawideband Radar - much more fun. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Heath Robinson
post Jul 23 2009, 07:26 PM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 15,736

I believe the man is not talking about Sensors in his helmet, but about having Vision Mods added to the helmet as you would for glasses. Arsenal optional rule okays this (well, it adds capacities for these things, implying that it was okay beforehand). The advantage is in avoiding the Sensor rules.

+Quote Post
InfinityzeN
post Jul 23 2009, 07:30 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,707

Not no by HELL NO! What is wrong with you boy? Coming up in here asking for all this crazy sh... Oh wait. Vision and audio mods added to a helmet. Yea, that is totally legal by the book.

Cheers

+Quote Post
Doc Byte
post Jul 23 2009, 07:44 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,168

QUOTE (RedeemerofOgar @ Jul 23 2009, 09:19 PM) *
I went with the +1/+2 helmet base, but otherwise add lowlight and that's pretty much what my mage is wearing. I didn't go basic Ultrasound though, I upgraded to the Ultrawideband Radar - much more fun. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Sounds familiar. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
crash2029
post Jul 24 2009, 12:00 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

From: The seemingly unknown area of land between Seattle and Idaho.
Member No.: 9,910

Open the blast doors! Open the blast doors!

+Quote Post
Dancer
post Jul 24 2009, 02:59 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,659

QUOTE (RedeemerofOgar @ Jul 23 2009, 08:19 PM) *

You won't be able to cast spells (on anyone but yourself) while you've got your visor down. That seems pretty hampering to me.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jul 24 2009, 03:04 AM
Post #15

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Dancer @ Jul 23 2009, 07:59 PM) *
You won't be able to cast spells (on anyone but yourself) while you've got your visor down. That seems pretty hampering to me.

Just turn off the electronics... you still see out of the visor with normal sight...

+Quote Post
TeOdio
post Jul 24 2009, 04:58 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,937

Until some crazed technomancer hacks his helmet and he can't shut off the visor... and then turns off the respirator... and sandwiches his girlfriend with a homeless ork named Spud while streaming the whole degrading act through some Matrix pirate feed. I won't trust anything but my God Given eyes. If The almighty wanted you to see in the dark he would have cursed you with pointy ears or tusks.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jul 25 2009, 07:01 PM
Post #17

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (TeOdio @ Jul 23 2009, 10:58 PM) *
Until some crazed technomancer hacks his helmet and he can't shut off the visor... and then turns off the respirator... and sandwiches his girlfriend with a homeless ork named Spud while streaming the whole degrading act through some Matrix pirate feed. I won't trust anything but my God Given eyes. If The almighty wanted you to see in the dark he would have cursed you with pointy ears or tusks.

Now that is Awesome... Kudos!

+Quote Post
Kerenshara
post Jul 25 2009, 11:46 PM
Post #18

Shooting Target

Member No.: 17,166

I'm thinking a good way to go would be to use the SR4A vision gear mod rules combined with the armor rules from Arsenal. Essentially, you could put in a pair of "goggles" as an armor enhancement (I think that's a listed choice). The "goggles" themselves have a certain number if vision-related enhancement slots that don't count against the helmet's armor capacity. A respirator inside a helmet... nah, I don't think THAT's ever been done before. *wink* A lot of us "geeks" have played with this one or something like it before. To secure yourself from hacking, think about adding "skin link" as an option: that means they just about have to be TOUCHING the thing to hack it, in which case you've got BIGGER problems.

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Jul 25 2009, 11:56 PM
Post #19

Old Man Jones

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,699

QUOTE (Kerenshara @ Jul 25 2009, 11:46 PM) *
To secure yourself from hacking, think about adding "skin link" as an option: that means they just about have to be TOUCHING the thing to hack it, in which case you've got BIGGER problems.

Nein!

Cable to a datajack! Down with Wireless!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

-np

+Quote Post
Doc Byte
post Jul 26 2009, 12:00 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,168

A helmet with a HUD has been around since at least SR2. And thinking of hacking, trodes would be a nice add-on. Maybe a built in comlink, too.

€dit: Trodes and a SIM Module would replace the display with AR. - Mage's problem fixed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Jul 28 2009, 01:01 AM
Post #21

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Member No.: 8,361

QUOTE (TeOdio @ Jul 23 2009, 10:58 PM) *

>>> I like your style kid, but I must add that scooping out my ol' baby blues and trading up for chrome was the best choice I ever made as a spell slinger. <<< -Bot

>>> I thought you reserved that honor for your forbidden and twisted magical research? Has anyone tried to claim the bounty recently? <<< -Void

>>> Not since I uploaded the results of the last fragger. <<< -Bot

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Jul 28 2009, 02:34 AM
Post #22

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

QUOTE (Doc Byte @ Jul 25 2009, 08:00 PM) *
€dit: Trodes and a SIM Module would replace the display with AR. - Mage's problem fixed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Adding trodes and a SIM Module does not make a piece of equipment immune to hacking. It just changes how the equipment interfaces with the user.

If the problem was that an opponent could hack into the helmet and co-opt the heads-up-display into blocking line-of-sight, that same opponent could hack into the helmet and co-opt the SIM module to shut down the wearer's entire sensorium, and severely limit control of all voluntary muscles.

You haven't fixed the mage's problem, you've exacerbated it.

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Jul 28 2009, 04:35 AM
Post #23

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,665

This is the reason I don't have a cyber SIM module for my Chaos Mage. Kinda hard to Black Hammer a guy if he can't get simsense at all. Also all my other cyberware is bundled into a cluster and slaved to my commlink. The 'Link is running with Encrypt 6, Firewall 6, & Stealth 3.

+Quote Post
Orcus Blackweath...
post Jul 28 2009, 05:40 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,433

This is the reason I don't have a cyber SIM module for my Chaos Mage. Kinda hard to Black Hammer a guy if he can't get simsense at all. Also all my other cyberware is bundled into a cluster and slaved to my commlink. The 'Link is running with Encrypt 6, Firewall 6, & Stealth 3.

Ummm Tasty Firewall 6 is like Butter.
The same Technomancer threads his exploit to 10, his stealth to 10, and simply devours you. And since he is already sandwiching your girlfriend while sending you the matrix feed in live tri-dee quality, it's a short step to hack your vehicle that was slaved to the same node, and drives you down to troll ville with an AR tag broadcasting that all trolls are gay

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:53 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.