IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Burning Edge, When can you do it and what happens afterwards?
Dakka Dakka
post Jul 23 2009, 07:07 PM
Post #1

Prime Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,582

On what rolls can you actually burn Edge? On all rolls or only on those that are Actions (as in Free Simple, Complex)?

Can you use it to achieve a critical success on a disease resistance test?

Can you burn your last point of Edge? Can you ever raise your Edge Attribute if it is reduced to zero?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Khyron
post Jul 23 2009, 09:33 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,367

In the game I'm in, you can burn edge on any roll.

It gets refilled every session start and in session you can get a refill point if you do something awesome.

+Quote Post
mmmkay
post Jul 23 2009, 09:44 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,390

Khyron burning edge is not the same as spending edge.

You can burn edge to get a critical success on any roll where it is possible to get a critical success.

You can burn edge on a disease resistance test.

I couldn't find any rules that say otherwise, but I'd imagine that it's up to your GM how to play edge going to 0 or if you can't burn your last point of edge.

+Quote Post
Petrie_SMG
post Jul 23 2009, 10:35 PM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 16,714

1. Sure, they can burn edge for any kind of roll.

2. Including disease resistance, but only for that one roll.

3. The way I would run it, they could burn their last point of edge. Buying it again.. well, that's up to the GM. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) It would make things interesting if he player could not...

+Quote Post
StealthSigma
post Jul 24 2009, 12:59 PM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 17,389

QUOTE (mmmkay @ Jul 23 2009, 05:44 PM) *
You can burn edge to get a critical success on any roll where it is possible to get a critical success.

From SR4:

"Automatically achieve a critical success on one action. The character must be capable of carrying out the action--you can't buy a critical success for something you have no hope of achieving."

I don't see anything that indicates that you have to be capable of achieving a critical success, you just need to be able to carry out the action. To me that means two things. You don't have a dice pool of 0 for the task, and you can default on it if you don't have the skill. Considering that the only other method of burning edge invokes the Hand of God to save your sorry butt from death, I don't think this is entirely unreasonable.

QUOTE (Petrie_SMG @ Jul 23 2009, 06:35 PM) *
1. Sure, they can burn edge for any kind of roll.

2. Including disease resistance, but only for that one roll.

3. The way I would run it, they could burn their last point of edge. Buying it again.. well, that's up to the GM. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) It would make things interesting if he player could not...

Burn edge to gain the benefit of a genetic transfusion permanently without needing to roll Essence + Edge to avoid getting cancer.

+Quote Post
Zormal
post Jul 25 2009, 07:40 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,928

QUOTE (StealthSigma @ Jul 24 2009, 03:59 PM) *
Burn edge to gain the benefit of a genetic transfusion permanently without needing to roll Essence + Edge to avoid getting cancer.

Hmm... I like this idea.

However, Augmentation p.94 says "When the infusion duration ends, the character must make an Essence + Edge Test (Edge may not be spent on this test)" (emphasis mine).

Granted, burning edge is not spending endge, but it would seem to me that the idea is to leave this test to the dice.

+Quote Post
wylie
post Jul 25 2009, 11:28 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,567

in my game, i have brought back an old shadowrun rule, burn karma

my players needed it as they burned through their edge, and needed some help

they may came away with less karma, but they walked away

same rules as using edge

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:38 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.