Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Aug 3 2009, 06:59 PM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,387

I have no doubt in my mind that the world will end. But, God said he would judge the world in fire, and he said that he will come like a thief in the night - not even the Son (Jesus) would know the day of his arrival. Therefore, December 21, 2012 cannot be the day the world will end. I also would like to respectfully disagree that the Mayan civilization is the earliest civilization of man.

Makes for a good story, though.

+Quote Post
LurkerOutThere
post Aug 3 2009, 07:11 PM
Post #3

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,234

"Mayan Tech Support reporting as ordered oh great god king. I can see your busy with that sting ray so i'll come back....."
"Hey just a moment you, I was looking at that calendar you came up with, fine piece of work there. I gotta say though being the forward thinking god king I am i'm a bit concerned about roll over and some sort of Y2012k conversion isssue. We get a few more tons of stone in here we could get this licked ahead of time."
"With all due respect your majesty by then i fully expect our great civilization to have invented computers and rendered the whole thing moot"
"Ah yes an excellent thought, and showing great foresight, greater then your king perhaps. Report for sacrifice underling"
*sighs* "Yes my leige"

Yea, that's how i always envision it, so to say the least i'm not particularly worried and the mayans arn't around to tell me "We told you so" in the event they were right.

+Quote Post
BullZeye
post Aug 3 2009, 07:47 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,168

I wonder will the companies who start making that 2012 end of world stuff have a money back guarantee?

+Quote Post
BookWyrm
post Aug 3 2009, 07:58 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 2,607

I'll pass on the movie. If the apocalypse comes, I'll deal with it then. I have to delegate my energies elsewhere.

+Quote Post
Brazilian_Shinob...
post Aug 3 2009, 08:26 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Member No.: 17,437

I remember that five years ago people were saying that the Mayan had foreseen the "end of the world" in 2005.
Anyway, I don't know if the Shadowrun world (magic back to the world) would be a good thing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

+Quote Post
BullZeye
post Aug 3 2009, 08:41 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Maybe instead of end of the world something like Awakening happens...

+Quote Post
tete
post Aug 3 2009, 09:26 PM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 1,139

Actually its just the end of the 4th cycle... You know what comes next? The 5th cycle... IIRC each cycle is about 5k years (been awhile since I studied Mayan history). So they have been recording the cycle of the stars and planets for 20k years.

+Quote Post
imperialus
post Aug 3 2009, 09:44 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Member No.: 769

The only thing that I find rather intriguing about the whole thing, and one of the more plausible disaster theories is the hypothesis surrounding Sagittarius A, a supermassive black hole at the center of the galaxy.

The coles notes version of the theory is that according astronomical projections, sometime in late 2012 we will have an astronomical event where the sun, the earth and Sagittarius A converge, basically it would be like a solar eclipse, but with the sun eclipsing the black hole. The theory goes that this will basically be like crossing the equivalent of the galactic equator, something that could in turn cause the earths magnetic field to flip and make the North pole become the South pole and vice versa.

It probably won't cause an apocalypse, after all the poles have switched back and forth many times in the past but it could cause some major weather disturbances, not to mention cause absolute chaos with our navigation and computer systems. Not doomsday, but still a hell of a mess.

+Quote Post
BullZeye
post Aug 3 2009, 09:47 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

QUOTE (tete @ Aug 4 2009, 12:26 AM) *
Actually its just the end of the 4th cycle... You know what comes next? The 5th cycle... IIRC each cycle is about 5k years (been awhile since I studied Mayan history). So they have been recording the cycle of the stars and planets for 20k years.

So we are still 5003 years away from awakening? Dang, was hoping to see it already but guess will have to reincarnate few more times before that...

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Aug 3 2009, 09:53 PM
Post #11

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

yay for modern computer rendering abilities, as it allows them to stuff all kinds of heavy hitting symbolism into their movies...

thanks, but i think ill pass on this one...

+Quote Post
Doc Byte
post Aug 4 2009, 12:30 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,168

Have you ever heard of 'Dark Star'?

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Aug 4 2009, 12:54 AM
Post #13

panda!

sounds familiar...

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Aug 4 2009, 12:55 AM
Post #14

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (tete @ Aug 3 2009, 03:26 PM) *

Actually this is the end of the 5th Cycle...

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Aug 4 2009, 12:59 AM
Post #15

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Member No.: 8,361

If I remember correctly the actual calander just says that there will be massive changes and that society will never be the same.

Still, personally I'm going to see the movie once it comes out on pay-per-view. ( I HATE "going to the movies" and only do so while on a date. )

+Quote Post
Khyron
post Aug 4 2009, 03:05 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,367

QUOTE (imperialus @ Aug 3 2009, 05:44 PM) *
The only thing that I find rather intriguing about the whole thing, and one of the more plausible disaster theories is the hypothesis surrounding Sagittarius A, a supermassive black hole at the center of the galaxy.

The coles notes version of the theory is that according astronomical projections, sometime in late 2012 we will have an astronomical event where the sun, the earth and Sagittarius A converge, basically it would be like a solar eclipse, but with the sun eclipsing the black hole. The theory goes that this will basically be like crossing the equivalent of the galactic equator, something that could in turn cause the earths magnetic field to flip and make the North pole become the South pole and vice versa.

Problem is this solar system is nowhere near the center of the galaxy, we're out on one of the spiral arms. There's a lot between us and it.

+Quote Post
Blade
post Aug 4 2009, 09:45 AM
Post #17

Runner

Member No.: 9,466

I've read somewhere that Mayans didn't say that it was going to be an Apocalypse, but it's just that an end of a Cycle isn't something you see everyday, so it's a great pretext for a big party. (Which I expect to have, to express my deep respect for the Mayan culture). It's as much Doomsday as the end of the Unix Timestamp is going to be a Doomsday.

As for the galatic alignement, it occurs regularly and the most precise had been in 1998... I'm not sure if France winning the FIFA World Cup qualifies as doomsday.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Aug 4 2009, 01:37 PM
Post #18

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

The history of the long count is each prior age, man was made of a different material. Since man failed to perform, the world was destroyed by different things, such as rain, fire, or getting eaten by a giant, space jaguar. This is indeed the fourth age, and we're closing in on the fifth age.

I've heard mixed reports on what will happen when the Mayan long count turns over. The most compelling one is that it won't be the end of the world, but the end of an era. This meshes well (well being a few centuries difference, depending on who you ask) with Western astrology, which says we're soon to enter the age of Aquarius. It's a shift in ideologies, in the basic functionality of the world and the spiritual nature of man.

Of course, looking at the Mayan creation myth, we have to wonder, 'if we don't meet the gods expectations, will we follow those humans who came before, and were wiped from the Earth'? But that's hard to speculate on.

While I was visiting Tikal, I asked our guide what'll happen at the end of December, 2012. He said they'd turn over their calendars and start 2013. But I'm not sure I really believe him. He also said the Mayans probably didn't sacrifice hundreds of people simultaneously in an orgy of blood, but instead preferred to sacrifice squashes and bananas. Sounds like he's just trying to play it all down.

+Quote Post
Mr. Mage
post Aug 4 2009, 04:02 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,317

So here's a question:
Did anyone who believes in this "EOD on 2012" ever think that the reason the Mayan Calendar ends is because they decided that they didn't really need to know whether January 1st 2013 starts on a tuesday or a friday? Maybe they just didn't care about what was going on 5000 years down the line...hmmm? Just something to think about...because personally, I think that anything that happens in 2012 will simply be part of a self-fulfilling prophecy. As in, we think civilization is going to end so we Nuke each other...well..civilization sure ended, but it was our fault...

Personally, I'm just hoping that no good games come out in November of that year.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Aug 4 2009, 04:12 PM
Post #20

panda!

i suspect its basically that they found some astrological elements that would return to the same location as when they started observing it, and based everything on that...

+Quote Post
Ogrebear
post Aug 4 2009, 05:53 PM
Post #21

Target

Member No.: 16,559

If it is indeed the Awakening I hope I get my horns and tusks....

... and fireballs!!

I do like how CGI has got to the point where you can have so much death and destruction on screen at the same time. Would not have happened with the 70's version: 2012- It's a Disaster! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Mr. Mage
post Aug 4 2009, 05:55 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,317

QUOTE (Ogrebear @ Aug 4 2009, 01:53 PM) *
If it is indeed the Awakening I hope I get my horns and tusks....

... and fireballs!!

Well...you'll have to wait for that I think...it took what, 20 years or something for goblinization to start? We'll just have a few Elf and Dwarf babies running around for awhile...

+Quote Post
Technofreak
post Aug 4 2009, 05:58 PM
Post #23

Target

Member No.: 17,459

QUOTE (Mr. Mage @ Aug 4 2009, 06:55 PM) *
Well...you'll have to wait for that I think...it took what, 20 years or something for goblinization to start? We'll just have a few Elf and Dwarf babies running around for awhile...

Magic on the other hand, is something we could all look forward to (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cyber.gif)

+Quote Post
Brazilian_Shinob...
post Aug 4 2009, 05:59 PM
Post #24

Shooting Target

Member No.: 17,437

And Dragons... And HMHVV... And Dragons... And Hellhounds... And MORE Dragons.
Also, I would probably be deported from my homeland when Hualpa took over...
Sounds like FUN (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

+Quote Post
Digital Heroin
post Aug 4 2009, 06:09 PM
Post #25

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 4,302

Apocalypse isn't necessarily a bad thing. It just means a change in the world as we know it. As much as disaster movies sell, it could just mark the beginning of the era of hugs and talking rabbits.

Actually, that'd be fucked up enough to end my world.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:27 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.