IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [Dumpshock Magazine] So, what do you guys want to see?
What types of articles interest you the most?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 143
Guests cannot vote 
Bull
post Aug 18 2009, 01:51 AM
Post #1

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

Group: Admin
Member No.: 50

Ok, this is the thread where you tell us what kind of features and articles you are most interested in.

We have a couple very specific ideas of what we want to do with the magazine, and how we want to present it. But, not everything is set in stone, and we have a lot of wide open areas to play with. So let us know what kinds of things you would be most interested in reading about!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BlueMax
post Aug 18 2009, 03:47 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,708

Simply put, Adventures.
If it had Adventures that were based in Seattle, I would shove money into your accounts.
Willing or not.

Several of the other options would be swell, especially the locations.

BlueMax
/srsly

+Quote Post
Tachi
post Aug 18 2009, 04:21 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Group: Validating
Member No.: 16,449

I wanna see it all!!!! You're an EVIL EVIL human being for making me choose only 3 options. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Muspellsheimr
post Aug 18 2009, 04:40 AM
Post #4

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,706

Except you where not limited to 3 options.

Or was that sarcasm? Difficult to tell with text.

+Quote Post
Tachi
post Aug 18 2009, 05:13 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

It says, "Please choose up to 3". Perhaps I could have chosen more, but I didn't cuz he said, "Please choose up to 3". Perchance I could have choosed all, but didn't cuz he said, "Please choose up to 3".

So, to reiterate yet again, I only chose 3. Now I R sarcastic. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

But seriously, I didn't realise that it was possible to choose more than three, else I would have done so. Unfortunately, I have now wasted my one vote by only choosing 3. Damn. (<not at all sarcastic this time)

+Quote Post
Bull
post Aug 18 2009, 05:19 AM
Post #6

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

THere doesn't seem to be a way to limit it to 3, so yeah, you can choose more than that, but I'd request you not. Generally, I'd assume that everyone wouldn't mind seeing all of thos e features, and we'll likely do them all at various points. However, I'm interested to see what features people MOST want to see. Thus the "Top 3".

So please, try to restrain yourself to only 3, and choose the 3 you'd be most interested in seeing. Thanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Aug 18 2009, 05:27 AM
Post #7

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

I think I accidentially null-voted (don´t post before the first coffee, I know). For the record I chose Fiction/New Stuff/Advice Columns.

+Quote Post
Tachi
post Aug 18 2009, 05:28 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Thanks Bull, now I fell better about actually following directions, for once. (not sarcastic)

+Quote Post
Method
post Aug 18 2009, 05:39 AM
Post #9

Street Doc

Member No.: 6,114

This could get interesting.

Personally I voted for the crunchy bits because plug and play ideas would be most helpful to me. I also think that GM/Player advise columns would be wonderful. But like you said, Bull, any and all those options would be great. I think my ideal would be a variety zine with a wide range of different stuff each month, but a well developed adventure seed in every issue (and possibly themed gear, locations and NPCs that would fit in the adventure, but are otherwise stand-alone elements). I would encourage you not to lock yourselves into any rigid format.

BTW, who else is involved here? Who would be editing, etc.?

+Quote Post
Muspellsheimr
post Aug 18 2009, 05:41 AM
Post #10

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,706

So, I completely missed the line over the poll. I suggest you also include your 3-choice-limit in the OP, which I did read.

+Quote Post
Bull
post Aug 18 2009, 05:49 AM
Post #11

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

I'm still talking to folks a bit and lining things up. Right now it's mainly me (Editing/developing) and Caine Hazen (layout/graphic design). I talked to a bunch of folks at Gen Con, have a number of semi-non committal offers of help, etc etc. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Don't worry, I'm not locking anything down too tightly. I'm mainly interested in seeing what has the most interest from the Dumpshock fanbase, for starters (i'm actually a little surprised at a couple of the numbers thus far), but in the end, the magazine will be open to any type of article for submission. But if the majority of folks want, say, Fiction, we'd be silly not to encourage folks to submit more fiction. Likewise, if NPC write ups aren't that requested, I wouldn't want to devote a lot of resources and page count toward them over top of something that people do want.

And of course, while this is currently being billed as a "DUmpshock Magazine" (Very likely not the final name), this is being published for all Shadowrun fans out there, and Dumpshock only represents a small slice of the fanbase. So things will grow and evolve as we get more feedback over time, and of course will be dependent on what kinds of submissions we get as well.

+Quote Post
underaneonhalo
post Aug 18 2009, 06:27 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,736

1) I chose cities specifically but I think any kind of location write ups would be awesome. Something like the old Seattle book, with locations of interest in a city and local gang profiles would be super neat.

2) Adventures would be great if they could be resolved over 3 or 4 issues.

3) I chose gear but dang it, now I'm kind of thinking about NPCs. I'd like to see stats for more NPC groups but I want me some guns and NERPS too!

+Quote Post
Method
post Aug 18 2009, 06:29 AM
Post #13

Street Doc

Well I can assure you that I am already plotting... muahaha!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/devil.gif)

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Aug 18 2009, 08:26 AM
Post #14

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

Alternate Rules For stuff that got left out of the books for example
GM and/or Player advice columns would be basically dumpshock to go
Locations (Individual, i.e. bars, offices, etc) are somewhat needed

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Aug 18 2009, 11:31 AM
Post #15

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

Locations, Adventures, NPCs - all the nice stuff that gives GMs many new ideas.

+Quote Post
deek
post Aug 18 2009, 11:58 AM
Post #16

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,814

I chose Alternate Rules, GM/Player Advice and New Gear.

The first two, would be most helpful to me and I think could be used immediately. And seeing there would be a review and editing process, what we would get in the magazine would hopefully be top notch stuff.

And who doesn't like new gear...guns, 'ware, vehicles and spells...can't go wrong there!

+Quote Post
Prime Mover
post Aug 18 2009, 01:04 PM
Post #17

Shooting Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 9,313

Maybe broken into chapters like the core book.
1. PC/NPC write ups.
2.Magic, new spells,meta-magic,unique items....
3.Hacking, programs,options,security measures,AI's....
4.Toys, guns,cars,mods....
5.Coporate goodies,projects,security measures,maps of targets
6. Short write ups for one shot missions.
7.GM advice.
8.Critters
9.Fiction
10.Augmentations

+Quote Post
Warlordtheft
post Aug 18 2009, 01:31 PM
Post #18

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 11,360

QUOTE (Tachi @ Aug 18 2009, 12:28 AM) *
Thanks Bull, now I fell better about actually following directions, for once. (not sarcastic)

Ummmm...I voted all but the city bit. So I um um I guess I can't follow directions. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blush.gif)

+Quote Post
Stormdrake
post Aug 18 2009, 02:48 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,623

I followed instructions and picked just three but all of the listed interests would be very good. When may we see the first edition?

+Quote Post
Kerrang
post Aug 18 2009, 02:53 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,088

I would like to see almost all of these options incorporated into the zine, I chose Fiction, NPCs, and Individual Locations. If I had 4 choices I would have picked Adventures as well. The only one that really does not interest me at all is Alternate Rules.

+Quote Post
Eugene
post Aug 18 2009, 03:40 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,625

I'm most interested in fiction and adventures, followed equally by individual locations and NPCs. City writeups would be difficult to do well, I think (see city sketches in Runner Havens, etc.), unless the mag picked ONE city and then expanded it with lots of articles over time.

Opinion columns and new gear are the least interesting to me, personally. Dumpshock already has a whole lot of (cranky) opinions, and our group already doesn't use half the gear that's available. How many more 5P pistols or variations on the Bulldog does one really need?

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Aug 18 2009, 05:53 PM
Post #22

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Member No.: 7,667

I want more of the Day in the Life type fluff. Like a lot of the stuff in the Neo Anarchist Guide to real Life. I would very much like the content to be material I can parcel out and hand to my players to assist in Immersion.

+Quote Post
Method
post Aug 18 2009, 05:58 PM
Post #23

Street Doc

DireRadiant: good call. You could include all kinds of player handouts: news faxes, adverts, social networking messages, etc.

+Quote Post
CanadianWolverin...
post Aug 18 2009, 08:49 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,309

My top three from the list were:
1) Fiction
2) GM/Player Advice
3) Locations

This is from my experience of why I would buy and read the D&D magazines, Dragon iirc. Not on the list or notables I didn't choose in my top 3 would have been comic strips and gear. I choose Fiction because the fiction threads in this forum are among my favorite reads of all time and the SR novels is what originally got me interested in the P&P game. Next up would be the Art, good art on covers will sell, I know it sells me on Heavy Metal magazine. Other magazines I also purchase used to be PC Accelerator and PC Gamer (latest editions seem like a set back to me). I also purchase magazines based on the latest tech in home construction and hunting. I know the any Help Section would also be great for getting this newbie's head wrapped around the SR rules within the setting. The Locations (Cities) was picked because I am hugely curious about what happened with real life regions in the SR 2070 world, especially my home of Vancouver Island in BC, Canada.

I hope this helps better understand what would make me a customer of such a product. Oh, and I also read online magazines/articles too, mostly about PC gaming, such as The Escapist. Best of luck in your endeavors and again, I hope this helps.

+Quote Post
Kerenshara
post Aug 18 2009, 09:52 PM
Post #25

Shooting Target

Member No.: 17,166

QUOTE (Method @ Aug 18 2009, 12:39 AM) *
Personally I voted for the crunchy bits because plug and play ideas would be most helpful to me.

That should be written Crunchy BitsTM. You owe me a nickel. *grin*

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 05:46 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.