Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Metahuman Biodrones?
tsuyoshikentsu
post Aug 20 2009, 11:57 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,997

As the title says. I'm wondering: I'm not seeing in the book (Augmentation) where a metahuman couldn't be implanted with a biodrone control system for some 5-IP fun.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Aug 21 2009, 12:04 AM
Post #2

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

Because 5 IP are only for Cyber-Space, not for Meat-Space

+Quote Post
Prime Mover
post Aug 21 2009, 12:07 AM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 9,313

Think McQ has a post from a week or two ago about just this. We've addressed this locally not too long ago as well. New movie "Gamer" gives some ideas.
A quality exists that makes the character an escaped clone, certainly you could toss a stirrup system in a clone. Cost would be a limiting factor. Theres at least one mention of "jumping jacks" rigged clones the Proteus board used for face to face meetings IRC.

Also the mention of biomorph drones in Runners companion and Eclipse phase site (Human sleeves) about the same time got me thinking we'd see something concrete in the near future. I've since been told that the drones mentioned in Runners Companion were VGI drones. (Although I was told they would be explained in an upcoming book in a past chat and VGI has been around since Augmentation.)

Edit: What Stah said, think it's been addressed recently. Meat 4 passes. Machine 5 passes.

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Aug 21 2009, 12:37 AM
Post #4

The back-up plan

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,910

VGI gets a bit more information and some actual mechanics in Running Wild. (Look in the Critter Rules chapter near Warforms.)

I did talk about putting a stirrup into people--it makes a fun exploit for mysterious cyberware and a Street Sam who has a MBW system, or it can have some additional side uses. The 5 IP being discussed for cyberspace would apply for a rigger who has "jumped into" the drone and is running the necessary hardware--upto 4 shooting et al with the drone plus an extra matrix action. It's very costly, but does start approaching a few of the transhuman issues.

+Quote Post
Tiger Eyes
post Aug 21 2009, 05:24 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,508

QUOTE (BishopMcQ @ Aug 20 2009, 07:37 PM) *
VGI gets a bit more information and some actual mechanics in Running Wild. (Look in the Critter Rules chapter near Warforms.)

I did talk about putting a stirrup into people--it makes a fun exploit for mysterious cyberware and a Street Sam who has a MBW system, or it can have some additional side uses. The 5 IP being discussed for cyberspace would apply for a rigger who has "jumped into" the drone and is running the necessary hardware--upto 4 shooting et al with the drone plus an extra matrix action. It's very costly, but does start approaching a few of the transhuman issues.

I knew it would come up! I knew it! RW has been out for 1 week and look what you've done!!!

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Aug 21 2009, 05:45 PM
Post #6

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 8,314

Rigger, please.

I'm thinking that stirrup-ing yourself will give you potentially 5 IPs, use your Response instead of Reaction (and Agility in some cases), take a -1 to all skills, and take 1.5 times the damage from bio-feedback through the rigged interface. Not sure about what sort of Sensor rating one would have, though, for attacking and Perception tests.

If that's your bucket of ducks, I say knock yourself out.

+Quote Post
Shinxy
post Aug 21 2009, 05:59 PM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 16,540

QUOTE (Aaron @ Aug 21 2009, 12:45 PM) *
Rigger, please.

I'm thinking that stirrup-ing yourself will give you potentially 5 IPs, use your Response instead of Reaction (and Agility in some cases), take a -1 to all skills, and take 1.5 times the damage from bio-feedback through the rigged interface. Not sure about what sort of Sensor rating one would have, though, for attacking and Perception tests.

If that's your bucket of ducks, I say knock yourself out.

I'd say you'd probably have to limit IPs to the rating of the MBW system you install. I don't see why skill ratings should be penalized though. Also, what if you run cold sim? No biofeedback there. Or would a cold sim jump-in on a metahuman biodrone even be possible?

+Quote Post
TBRMInsanity
post Aug 21 2009, 06:01 PM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 8,494

I don't think it is possible to stirrup yourself. Why would you need to jump into yourself, if anything that would slow yourself down (it would be like remote desktopping into the computer your working on, very silly).

+Quote Post
Shinxy
post Aug 21 2009, 06:09 PM
Post #9

Target

QUOTE (TBRMInsanity @ Aug 21 2009, 01:01 PM) *
I don't think it is possible to stirrup yourself. Why would you need to jump into yourself, if anything that would slow yourself down (it would be like remote desktopping into the computer your working on, very silly).

By my read, that's basically exactly what move by wire systems do.

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Aug 21 2009, 06:09 PM
Post #10

The back-up plan

QUOTE (Tiger Eyes @ Aug 21 2009, 10:24 AM) *
I knew it would come up! I knew it! RW has been out for 1 week and look what you've done!!!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif) You're just mad, I came up with the idea first. At least they haven't discovered phase two yet... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif)

Edit: On a slightly more serious note, I think what Aaron was trying to say is that the benefits don't outweigh the drawbacks from his perspective. It may be cheaper to actually just build an anthroform rather than investing in the stirrup. (A rating 3 Stirrup has an availability of 28R and a cost of 100,000 nuyen afterall...before alpha grade increases)

The -1 that he mentioned is part and parcel of using the stirrup interface, per Augmentation 153.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Aug 21 2009, 06:29 PM
Post #11

The ShadowComedian

and take 1.5 times the damage from bio-feedback through the rigged interface

In ADDITION to any other physical and/or stun damage which gets dealt to your body.

+Quote Post
toolbox
post Aug 21 2009, 06:37 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,251

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Aug 21 2009, 10:29 AM) *
In ADDITION to any other physical and/or stun damage which gets dealt to your body.

No, I think that'd be included in the 1.5 times - you take normal damage from any attack, plus half again from biofeedback per standard rigging rules. Altogether, 1.5 times normal damage.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Aug 21 2009, 06:59 PM
Post #13

The ShadowComedian

Hrm, okay, i may be wrong there . . but math is an asshole <.<

+Quote Post
TBRMInsanity
post Aug 22 2009, 12:20 PM
Post #14

Running Target

QUOTE (Shinxy @ Aug 21 2009, 12:09 PM) *
By my read, that's basically exactly what move by wire systems do.

You don't jump into yourself with a move by wire system, your put into a constant seizure state and the system directs the seizure in the motion you want to go.

+Quote Post
MorkaisChosen
post Aug 22 2009, 01:50 PM
Post #15

Target

Member No.: 17,533

QUOTE (Shinxy @ Aug 21 2009, 06:59 PM) *
I'd say you'd probably have to limit IPs to the rating of the MBW system you install. I don't see why skill ratings should be penalized though. Also, what if you run cold sim? No biofeedback there. Or would a cold sim jump-in on a metahuman biodrone even be possible?

Feel free to flame the newbie if I'm being enormously dense ( (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif) ), but doesn't Cold Sim leave you with one less IP than Hot?

+Quote Post
Shinxy
post Aug 22 2009, 08:17 PM
Post #16

Target

QUOTE (TBRMInsanity @ Aug 22 2009, 07:20 AM) *
You don't jump into yourself with a move by wire system, your put into a constant seizure state and the system directs the seizure in the motion you want to go.

And how does the system direct the seizure? Through DNI. And what's preventing someone else's DNI from directing the seizure for you? That's where the stirrup system comes in. Either way, through MBW you aren't directly controlling your body anymore, your mind is kind of puppeteering through a digital system. Minus the remote sensory input, isn't this exactly what rigging a metahuman biodrone would be like?

+Quote Post
tsuyoshikentsu
post Aug 23 2009, 04:55 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,997

So this can be done. Interesting.

(Tiger, note that the rules originally appeared in Aug and it looks to have been possible even then.)

+Quote Post
TBRMInsanity
post Aug 23 2009, 05:14 AM
Post #18

Running Target

QUOTE (Shinxy @ Aug 22 2009, 02:17 PM) *
And how does the system direct the seizure? Through DNI. And what's preventing someone else's DNI from directing the seizure for you? That's where the stirrup system comes in. Either way, through MBW you aren't directly controlling your body anymore, your mind is kind of puppeteering through a digital system. Minus the remote sensory input, isn't this exactly what rigging a metahuman biodrone would be like?

The stirrup doesn't cause a seizure state in the biodrone, its not rigging. Sigh it is like talking to a brick wall.

+Quote Post
Rasumichin
post Aug 23 2009, 02:25 PM
Post #19

Running Target

Member No.: 15,648

Here's what Augmentation has to say on Stirrup interfaces :

QUOTE ("Augmentation @ P. 153")
Stirrup Interface: This interface is based on an advanced
move-by-wire system (p. 40) and provides all of the same bonuses
and benefits, including the embedded skillwire system.
Additionally, it adds a remote control rig adaptation that
allows a rigger to both monitor the exact movements of the
animal as well as to “jump in� and control it directly through
full-immersion VR.
The subject animal may make full use of its own faculties
and skills, except when the rigger is “jumped in.� A rigger jumped
into the recipient will use his own skills at a –1 dice pool penalty
when performing any actions. The recipient can be controlled
by a specialized Pilot program, but then functions exactly like a
regular drone.

This means that yes, the stirrup interface does artificially induce a state of seizure, just like a MBW does.
Because a Stirrup is a modified MBW.
Plus a rigger control.
So that you can, well, rig a creature with a Stirrup implant.

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Aug 23 2009, 03:59 PM
Post #20

Great Dragon

Member No.: 16,387

QUOTE (BishopMcQ @ Aug 20 2009, 07:37 PM) *
upto 4 shooting et al with the drone plus an extra matrix action.

This is wrong. It is 5 IP for all actions, as all actions that you make while jumped in are considered Matrix Actions. We've been over this a couple of weeks ago.

+Quote Post
Shinxy
post Aug 23 2009, 04:26 PM
Post #21

Target

QUOTE (TBRMInsanity @ Aug 23 2009, 01:14 AM) *
The stirrup doesn't cause a seizure state in the biodrone, its not rigging. Sigh it is like talking to a brick wall.

It might help if you made a counterargument here besides "no."

Rules state stirrup system is an advanced MBW, smart guy.

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Aug 23 2009, 08:10 PM
Post #22

The back-up plan

QUOTE (Neraph @ Aug 23 2009, 08:59 AM) *
This is wrong. It is 5 IP for all actions, as all actions that you make while jumped in are considered Matrix Actions. We've been over this a couple of weeks ago.

Neraph--Do you have a link? I didn't follow that conversation. Part of my reasoning behind the combination was that firing a weapon in the Matrix is a Complex Action, but it's a Simple Action (usually) in the Meat, thus you can fire more by mixing and matching.

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Aug 23 2009, 08:41 PM
Post #23

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 8,314

Yeah, but it's a Simple Action to jump in or out without the ... um ... proper quality. More than Metahuman, I think it's called.

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Aug 24 2009, 03:49 AM
Post #24

The back-up plan

IP Meat // Matrix
1 Shoot (x2) // Shoot
2 Shoot (x2) // Shoot
3 Shoot (x2) // Shoot
4 Shoot, Jump // Shoot
5 Matrix Action // Shoot

7 shots vs 5 shots (Presuming SA/BF) With More than Metahuman, it becomes a Free Action so you can take the 8th shot before jumping.

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Aug 24 2009, 07:23 AM
Post #25

The back-up plan

Oh, and to completely undermine the entire discussion, a GM would be completely within his/her rights to say that there is not a metahuman version of the Stirrup Interface since it is designed for animals. (Augmentation p. 152)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:04 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.