Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Archetypal Characters, Ninja vs. Samurai
DarkKindness
post Aug 25 2009, 07:44 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,522

I've been kicking around a lot of character ideas lately, and I'd like to see what you guys would do with a couple of themes that I've been pondering.

In short, how would you build the best/most authentic (considering that they were updated from feudal Japan to 2072 Seattle) Ninja and Samurai that you could?

Rules are simple - I'd like to see characters that capture the essence of each of these martial traditions (either based on history or the media), are game-viable (i.e. don't build something that suits the flavor but would die immediately on the street (which doesn't really suit the flavor!)), and are built with the standard 400 BP system (up to 200 on physical/mental attributes, up to 50 on (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) , etc.).

I've personally been bouncing around ways to handle these with both Adepts and bio/cyberware applied to otherwise normal metahumans, but haven't come up with anything I've been satisfied with yet. I'm really looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with, and I might even do a combat run of my favorite from each side and post it to the thread if there's enough interest.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Machiavelli
post Aug 25 2009, 01:25 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 1,749

Hmmm...i don´t think that you will get a satisfying answer on this. Basically a ninja or a historical samurai both have a wide range of abilities (complete close combat-group, throwing weapons, some exotic ranged or melee weapons, athletics-group plus riding etc.) and if you want to get them all, you will be a low-level jack-of-all-trades but not really competitive to a street sam. In addition you will also have to take the firearms-skills which kills the build instantly (BP-wise).

Talking about a physad as a combat character is a waste of time IMHO. So the best solution is always a cyber-guy with high physical attributes. How his cyber would look like? Just have a look at every sam-build posted here on DS. There is one specific build that every munchkin figured out and it isn´t getting better with this limited starting-BP´s. Unfortunately this makes them look all the same.

+Quote Post
McCummhail
post Aug 25 2009, 03:37 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,452

Bio/Cyber Adept (!=Guyver) is a highly viable route for a Ninja.
Ninjutsu prioritizes mobility over confrontation.
I would recommend using the adept for access to the unique mobility powers
and using selective implants to enhance your combat effectiveness.

Skills:
Necessary: Athletics, 1 melee skill, 1 ranged skill, physical or social 'stealth' skill

Historic ninja were pragmatists and worked with what was available and what was effective.
A pistol might suit you better than shuriken. YMMV

Interesting specializations: Chemistry, Demolitions, Long-arms, garrote, sorcery (if myst-ad), summoning (if myst-ad), cyber-weapons, etc.

Without knowing what you are after details a difficult.

+Quote Post
InfinityzeN
post Aug 25 2009, 06:16 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,707

I actually had a Adept Sam that I played for a long time. He was an Ork, had a full body tint (red), fought with two swords and a bow. He did all right to, but that game wasn't twinkers heaven.

+Quote Post
SuperCracker
post Aug 26 2009, 07:27 AM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 17,076

Back in 2nd Edition I had an Adept Samurai. He dual-wielded using a weapon focus katana in one hand and an smg named "wakizashi" in his off hand. He was incredibly bad-ass and could tear through hordes of enemies.

I went to recreate him for SR4... and he's not that great. Unfortunately, sword-swingers have been dinky-slapped in every regard.

So I'd say, for a samurai, build a guy with a tricked out gun that he favors as his katana, and focus on the code of honor. Get some cool armor too, if you feel like it.

For ninja... I'd say a Mystic Adept or a straight-up Magician. Improved Invisibility ftw.

+Quote Post
Dakka Dakka
post Aug 26 2009, 08:15 AM
Post #6

Prime Runner

Member No.: 16,582

QUOTE (SuperCracker @ Aug 26 2009, 09:27 AM) *
Unfortunately, sword-swingers have been dinky-slapped in every regard.
How's that? Sword-swingers and dual-wielders especially are pretty good - if you look into the Arsenal at least.

So I'd say, for a samurai, build a guy with a tricked out gun that he favors as his katana, and focus on the code of honor. Get some cool armor too, if you feel like it.
Sounds like the archetypal Street Samurai. I thought the OP wanted an adaption of the historical samurai.

In my opinion this does not work as an independent contractor as most shadowrunners are. The historical samurai was a vassal of his daimyo - in 2070's terms a company man.

For ninja... I'd say a Mystic Adept or a straight-up Magician. Improved Invisibility ftw.
I'm not sure if this fits the background but a mage with a possession tradition an Channeling could be awesome in that role.

+Quote Post
Pendaric
post Aug 26 2009, 09:53 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,047

Do you mean you wish them to focus on archaic combat methods and cultural ties? Or do you mean you wish to capture the zietgeist of their mentality and code?

The former is more constrictive and harder to make work as they are anachronistic in the face of high tech/societal shift but still doable.

The later is exemplified by the Covert op and street sam/company man. And there is lots and lots of ways to do these in game.

+Quote Post
crash2029
post Aug 26 2009, 09:42 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

From: The seemingly unknown area of land between Seattle and Idaho.
Member No.: 9,910

Ninja Archetype

[ Spoiler ]

This is my interpretation of the historical ninja updated for the sixth world. All of the cyberware, with exception of the smartlink, is legal and should not raise eyebrows. The bioware is virtually undetectable without a medical exam. The combination of skills and enhancements should allow the ninja to blend in almost anywhere.

+Quote Post
remmus
post Aug 26 2009, 10:32 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,145

well for samurai I sugest a mix of melee and range since the once of old where adept at both, both adepts or simply going cyber heavy works with ar,or and direct combat improvements. the bushido quality from runners companion is a must have for proper fluff and for main armor just pick up the arsenal book and check out the Modern Oyoroi armour for that extra flavour

my 2 newbie cents about it

+Quote Post
McCummhail
post Aug 27 2009, 02:45 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,452

QUOTE (crash2029 @ Aug 26 2009, 05:42 PM) *
Ninja Archetype

[ Spoiler ]

This is my interpretation of the historical ninja updated for the sixth world. All of the cyberware, with exception of the smartlink, is legal and should not raise eyebrows. The bioware is virtually undetectable without a medical exam. The combination of skills and enhancements should allow the ninja to blend in almost anywhere.
Your ninja is exactly on the money for what I was suggesting!
(But this is a full and usable PC / NPC)

I might suggest a bit of bone augmentation or some fist weapon to give him a slight melee edge.

Does mono-wire show up on a milli-wave detector? (Mono-wire garrote)

+Quote Post
kanislatrans
post Aug 27 2009, 03:14 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

From: The corner of Detonation Boulevard and Fascination Street
Member No.: 14,464

Chuck Norris would kick both the ninja and the samurai's butt.

However. they would have to burn his house, smash his car, kidnap his girlfriend, and kill his dog first, as these actions are a geasa that lets him tap into his pure awesomeness.

Beware the round house kick of death!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

*kanis is going to bed now. he is way too silly and speaking of himself in the third person.* (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:32 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.