IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Unpublished Edges and Flaws, What do you think would work?
Gem the Troll
post Jan 27 2004, 01:26 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,973

I have to say some of the edges and flaws in Companion and subsequent books are pretty cool...but they don't cover the different characters in play. I have a GM who approved a new flaw for me to use with a character of mine. It's called Security Blanket.

Flaw Value 1-4
A character with this flaw has an item (low value) that they carry with them as much as they can. separation from this item causes extreme anxiety in the character, and they will do anything in their means to be near said item.

Game Effects
For each point taken the character can only be away from said item for 24 hours divided by flaw value (i.e. a value 2 would mean 12 hours) before suffering from anxiousness which adds the flaw value to each skill based target number. The character must spend time equal to the flaw value, in hours, each day to avoid this penalty.

My security blanket is a huge"Tickle me Dunkie" doll I got from an amusement park game. The thing is huge (imagine the grand prize from fair games today). Being a Dwarf the thing is about the same size as I am, and I have declared that it has shotgun in my Americar, much to the annoyance of some of the PCs in my group who don't own their own vehicles. The only time it doesn't go with me is when I go to meet a Johnson or do a job. Otherwise, we're constant companions.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Jan 27 2004, 01:37 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 2,032

:eek: :rotfl: :notworthy:

+Quote Post
Enigma
post Jan 27 2004, 01:41 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,812

An edge I created for a Face character I have is 'Together'.

This one-point edge means that your character is always immaculately presented. S/he wakes from sleep with perfect hair and a dazzling smile. S/he cannot go out without people noting what s/he is wearing in a "where did she get that" fit of jealousy. Your character does not commit social faux paus - s/he creates the style, and does not follow it. This is intimidating for normal people, who still suffer from the 2am wakeup "hodafukizat" reflex and who still, on occasion, spill coffee on their jeans. This is known as the Swordmaster edge for those who play Earthdawn. The effect is a +2 modifier on tests of the other person/s involved in any non-intimidation social interactions (note that I do not use open rolls for social tests).

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Jan 27 2004, 02:36 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,123

Divine Origin, 8 points:

Character is Jesus.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Jan 27 2004, 02:44 PM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

Does that provide any in-game bonuses other than the ability to walk on water?

+Quote Post
Siege
post Jan 27 2004, 02:50 PM
Post #6

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

Guaranteed popularity at your local bar.

-Siege

+Quote Post
Xirces
post Jan 27 2004, 02:56 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,046

QUOTE (Siege)
Guaranteed popularity at your local bar.

-Siege

Except from the owner who's trying to sell booze whilst you're just giving it away.

The re-incarnation trick might be useful [/blaspheme]

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jan 27 2004, 02:57 PM
Post #8

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

Rapid Evasion
The character is exceptionally quick on his feet. Apply a -1 TN# to all Dodge tests the character makes.

Skilled
1 to 4
The character has an exceptional gift for the chosen skill, advancing rapidly in its mastery. Skilled may be chosen for a single Active Skill, and subsequently applies to the associated Build/Repair and Knowledge Skill(if multiple associated Knowledge Skills exist, choose only one). For the skill and associated skills, double the effective rating of the linked attribute for determining the Good Karma cost to raise the skill, and subtract 1 from the recalculated cost.

The edge value varies based upon the group of the skill chosen. Skilled(Language Skill) has a value of 1, Skilled(Physical Skill or Social Skill) has a value of 2, Skilled(Technical Skill or Vehicle Skill) has a value of 3, Skilled(Combat Skill or Magical Skill) has a value of 4.

Note:
As Skilled(Martial Art or Brawling) has no associated Build/Repair skill, reduce by 1 the Good Karma cost to purchase a Maneuver with the chosen skill. As Skilled(Language Skill) has no associated Knowledge skill or Build/Repair skill, the edge's bonus applies to all languages in the same linguistic group, as well as all dialects of, the chosen language.

Large
The character is of exceptional physical size for a member of his or her metatype or phenotype, typically 50% taller than "average" and with corresponding increased build. Add +1 to the character's racial limit for Body and Strength, and give the character a +1 Reach modifier in melee combat. A good corresponding flaw is Distinctive Style.

Mnemonic Talent
4 or 8
The character has exceptional mnemonic abilities. The character acts as if implanted with a Mnemonic Enhancer(Rating 1 or 2). This effect is not cumulative with mnemonic enhancer bioware.

Dual Adaptation
2 or 4
The magically active character in question has adapted to dual-natured interaction, and reduces the +2 TN# modifier associated with physical tasks while astrally perceiving by 1 per point of Dual Adaptation.

Slow Learner
The character struggles to improve in the chosen skill. Slow Learner applies to a single Active skill group, or Languages, as well as all Knowledge skill groups associated with the active skill group in question. When calculating the Good Karma cost to raise the skills in question, halve the effective rating of the linked attribute, and add 1 to the subsequent cost.
Obese -4 The character is morbidly obese. Apply a -1 penalty to the racial modified limit for Quickness, reduce running multiplier by 1, and increase the TN# for all athletics tests by the character by +2.
Dual Discomfort -3 The magically active character in question is never truly gotten the hang of balancing physical activity while astrally active. Apply an additional +1 to the TN# of all purely physical tasks while the character is astrally perceiving.

Oathbound
-1 to -4
The character has sworn an oath, be it a solemn spiritual vow, a promise, a contractual agreement, or even an off-handed affirmation that has been somehow karmically bound to the character's destiny. While the degree of seriousness associated with the oath should ideally correspond with the value of the flaw, this need not necessarily be the case. Fate is fickle.

In practical terms, so long as the character is fulfilling or acting in accordance with the oath, Good Karma is earned normally. If the character forsakes the oath, a 10% penalty per point of the Oathbound flaw is applied to all Good Karma awards, with modified values rounded down. The character must resume pursuit of the oath in order to gain Good Karma at a normal rate once more.

Characters should not combine this flaw with others. For instance, a character who has sworn to raise a younger sibling does not get points for both Oathbound and Dependent.

If a broken oath cannot be resumed, such as the event of a protected target dying, or if an oath is somehow fulfilled, the character must choose another flaw of equal value to the level of Oathbound the character possessed prior. Some ideas include Bad Karma, Cursed Karma, Hung Out To Dry, Bad Reputation, and Hunted.

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Jan 27 2004, 03:07 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,123

QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
Does that provide any in-game bonuses other than the ability to walk on water?

Absolutely not :wobble:

A fair number of my homeless NPCs have this edge, and it certainly doesn't do them any good!

+Quote Post
GunnerJ
post Jan 27 2004, 03:22 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,634

I posted this a while ago.

I think I'll have to steal things from this thread...

EDIT: Note, that the reason why the values of edges are negative and flaws positive is because edges cost build points and flaws give them.

+Quote Post
Playing Games
post Jan 27 2004, 04:54 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,500

QUOTE (mfb)
Large
The character is of exceptional physical size for a member of his or her metatype or phenotype, typically 50% taller than "average" and with corresponding increased build. Add +1 to the character's racial limit for Body and Strength, and give the character a +1 Reach modifier in melee combat. A good corresponding flaw is Distinctive Style.

What about large dwarves?

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Jan 27 2004, 06:57 PM
Post #12

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,760

mfb, a lot of those I like. However, canon says you can't have more than 6 points in edges and flaws, so a few (the ones I don't like, coincidentally) are eliminated. Seems like dodge might be overpowered (granted, it's pricey to make up for it, but I'd want to know its playtested before using it), and I'd never allow large. 50% difference in size? +1 Reach? It's bound to be abused (I can think of an easy way to get +4-5 reach, which is devastating). Oathbound I do like, quite a lot.

+Quote Post
Req
post Jan 27 2004, 07:17 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 277

8 point flaw: Divine Scapegoat

God decides to hold you personally responsible for the death of Jesus Christ. Roll 1d6 at the beginning of every game session. 1-3: Dies. 4-6: Stigmata.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jan 27 2004, 07:36 PM
Post #14

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

Nezumi, you're misinterpreting the rule. It's that you can't end up gaining more than 6 points net in build points from flaws, or losing more than 6 in uncompensated edges, not that you can't buy an edge/flaw worth more than 6. See Ambidexterity as canon evidence.
MFB: ...meep? Overpowered much? (Specifically, dodge and large; large should also drop Signature by a point, but even then...)

~J

+Quote Post
GunnerJ
post Jan 27 2004, 08:00 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

I don't see why the dodge edge is overpowered. Actually, I think the cost is a bit steep. It's no more powerful than Aptitude, IMO.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Jan 27 2004, 08:03 PM
Post #16

Great Dragon

Perhaps it's not as much a question of over-poweredness as of having an effect that nothing else in the whole game can duplicate.

And I bet Sphynx's ~30 dodge dice mage would love it. :D

+Quote Post
Siege
post Jan 27 2004, 08:06 PM
Post #17

Dragon

If you coax your GM into allowing Athletics to replace Combat Pool for Dodge tests, just buy Aptitude: Athletics and be done with it.

-Siege

+Quote Post
GunnerJ
post Jan 27 2004, 08:21 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Perhaps it's not as much a question of over-poweredness as of having an effect that nothing else in the whole game can duplicate.

But why is this a problem? Is there anything in the game that can duplicate the exact effect of a manabolt? Or using an elemental to add to spell pool? Or the effects on vehichle initiative and skill test TNs of a VCR?

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Jan 27 2004, 08:29 PM
Post #19

Great Dragon

I haven't got a clue why it's a problem. But it is, at least for me. I simply don't like the idea of something lowering Dodge TNs, for whatever reason. I'm fully aware it's just a house rule suggestion though, and I don't mind if other people use it. I just won't, because Nobody Messes With My Dodge TNs!

+Quote Post
Solidcobra
post Jan 27 2004, 08:41 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,252

Uncanny Dodge (-4): TN -1 for all dodge tests.
100/10
My comment: O_O!!!!! no way in hell am i allowing that piece of drek!

Adaptive System (Cyberware) (-5): -10% to the essence costs of all cyberware.
100/10
My comment: "Hey, gm, can i lower the essence cost of cyber by 10%?" "HELL NO!"

Procrastinator (+3): It takes a Willpower(6) test with at least two successes to avoid waiting until the last possible day/minute/second to do some task that has a "deadline." GM determines the effect of a failure on a case-by-case basis.
6/10
My comment: ooh! lookie! a solidcobra flaw!

Combat Training (-4): TN for combat related skills +1 for defaulting to skill, +2 for defaulting to specialization, +3 for defaulting to attribute.
8/10
My comment: now this is cool..... still a little overpowered though....

Connected Background (-5): Character has access to beta-grade cyberware OR cultured bioware at chargen. Can only be purchased by new characters.
10/10
My comment: O_O! wee! combined with Adaptive System this can make anyones world ROCK!

Mana Lens (-5): Character is naturally capable of channeling mana more efficiently. -1 to all drain TNs.
100/10
My comment: once again, this kind of makes mages a "little" overpowered.....

Skilled
1 to 4
The character has an exceptional gift for the chosen skill, advancing rapidly in its mastery. Skilled may be chosen for a single Active Skill, and subsequently applies to the associated Build/Repair and Knowledge Skill(if multiple associated Knowledge Skills exist, choose only one). For the skill and associated skills, double the effective rating of the linked attribute for determining the Good Karma cost to raise the skill, and subtract 1 from the recalculated cost.

The edge value varies based upon the group of the skill chosen. Skilled(Language Skill) has a value of 1, Skilled(Physical Skill or Social Skill) has a value of 2, Skilled(Technical Skill or Vehicle Skill) has a value of 3, Skilled(Combat Skill or Magical Skill) has a value of 4.
10/10
My comment: meep! can we say "decker and rigger from hell"? i knew we could!

+Quote Post
sable twilight
post Jan 27 2004, 08:47 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,948

QUOTE (Enigma)
An edge I created for a Face character I have is 'Together'.

This one-point edge means that your character is always immaculately presented. S/he wakes from sleep with perfect hair and a dazzling smile. S/he cannot go out without people noting what s/he is wearing in a "where did she get that" fit of jealousy. Your character does not commit social faux paus - s/he creates the style, and does not follow it. This is intimidating for normal people, who still suffer from the 2am wakeup "hodafukizat" reflex and who still, on occasion, spill coffee on their jeans. This is known as the Swordmaster edge for those who play Earthdawn. The effect is a +2 modifier on tests of the other person/s involved in any non-intimidation social interactions (note that I do not use open rolls for social tests).

Only 1 point for something that gives everyone else a +2 penalty in very common situations. That's pretty generous.

+Quote Post
GunnerJ
post Jan 27 2004, 09:49 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

O_O!!!!! no way in hell am i allowing that piece of drek!

Good, because no one asked you to. :P

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jan 27 2004, 10:27 PM
Post #23

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

bah, the six-point limit is only a reccomendation, and it only applies if you're buying/spending building points; if you're balancing flaw/edge points, you can get as many points' worth as you want. the only hard limit is the maximum of 5 edges and 5 flaws.

if you look at the social edges in SRComp, they're insane. one or two points for -2 TN on all social tests? yeesh. i don't see a problem. with Together, in that light.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Jan 27 2004, 11:20 PM
Post #24

Dragon

QUOTE (mfb)
bah, the six-point limit is only a reccomendation, and it only applies if you're buying/spending building points; if you're balancing flaw/edge points, you can get as many points' worth as you want. the only hard limit is the maximum of 5 edges and 5 flaws.

if you look at the social edges in SRComp, they're insane. one or two points for -2 TN on all social tests? yeesh. i don't see a problem. with Together, in that light.

That's cause a lot of people don't bother with social tests. :P

-Siege

+Quote Post
Raptor1033
post Jan 28 2004, 07:00 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,370

how about an edge that lets you need less sleep? 2 or 3 point cost for half the amount of sleep required? so 4 hours/night for normal people?

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:34 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.