Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Laser questions, Do the pew pew
Adavisk
post Sep 4 2009, 09:01 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,837

A friend of mine said that lasers make a sound because they are vaporizing the air. at first i had no reason to say no to this. how ever i keep seeing more and more stuff about lasers and they never do. so for the record do lasers make noise, in real life and in SR? Second dose SR have Laser satellites if so who has em i know that Aris has the Thor rail gun. Any information would be wonderful. If you have any sights that show that lasers make noise in real life it would be grate.

the noise they make is not the gun but the beam dose it make noise or is it just the gun?

P.S. this is because the gun peaty much has to make noise
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
crash2029
post Sep 4 2009, 09:27 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

From: The seemingly unknown area of land between Seattle and Idaho.
Member No.: 9,910

I hope you know that you have just thrown a can of worms at a hornet's nest.

+Quote Post
Mantis
post Sep 4 2009, 09:57 AM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 17,538

Well here is what a quick search turned up...
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...09103729AAJAKy7
That should make it clear as mud. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/twirl.gif) Well actually, it would seem the beam of light makes no noise or none you could hear unaided. However, its super heated passage through air would make a noise as air rushed back into the space created by the beam as would the actually impact.
Ares doesn't have a rail gun in space. The Thor shot is actually a bunch rocket powered super flechettes, think of it as crowbars or something of similar mass with small rockets attached. These things do their damage by falling from a hella high height much like a meteor does and moving at crazy speeds. I imagine there is some shielding or something on them too, to prevent them from simply melting from friction during re entry.
I would imagine any mega corp with a space presence has/could have orbital laser weapons of some kind as would any national government that still maintains a space program. Off the top of my head, I think S-K, Ares, Aztechnology and Evo all have space based weapons. As I don't feel like going through all the books to figure out who exactly has what weapons, just assume any of them could have anything. Its your game after all.
Anyone else want to fill in the blanks on this?

+Quote Post
McCummhail
post Sep 4 2009, 12:31 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,452

The Sci-fi genre would have collapsed log ago if lasers didn't make awesome noises.
Now lasers in space on the other hand should not make discernible noise despite what Hollywood thinks.

+Quote Post
Chrome Tiger
post Sep 4 2009, 12:47 PM
Post #5

Shiny Metal Kitty Head

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 146

I have worked with some high power lasers, strong enough to burn through wood, and the only noise I ever heard was the sound of the transformers buzzing and a little crackling coming from the wood. So if looking for RL data, then I would say the electronics pushing power to the laser make more noise than the laser itself.

+Quote Post
StealthSigma
post Sep 4 2009, 01:17 PM
Post #6

Runner

Member No.: 17,389

QUOTE (Mantis @ Sep 4 2009, 05:57 AM) *
Ares doesn't have a rail gun in space. The Thor shot is actually a bunch rocket powered super flechettes, think of it as crowbars or something of similar mass with small rockets attached. These things do their damage by falling from a hella high height much like a meteor does and moving at crazy speeds. I imagine there is some shielding or something on them too, to prevent them from simply melting from friction during re entry.

Incorrect....

Thor Shots are mass drivers and mass drivers utilize the same method of acceleration as a rail gun. So while they are two devices for distinct purposes, interchanging them is acceptable.

From the DumpShock wiki.

Thor shot is a term used to describe a massive weapon in space capable of doing devastating damage from orbit. Typically, a Thor shot is a mass driver that fires space junk welded together into a large projectile. It impacts with force that is equivalent to a nuclear blast, without the secondary EMP or radiation effects. Only a few corporations are confirmed have the Thor shot weapon available. Ares Macrotechnology is thought to have the most, with eight Thor shots available at any given time spread across the globe. Other corporations with Thor shots include Saeder-Krupp and pre-2059 Fuchi.

+Quote Post
BookWyrm
post Sep 4 2009, 01:30 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 2,607

IRL, lasers do not make the noises you describe, but, as in some other games I know of, the company that makes said lasers can add a 'effects-sound generator' at no extra cost to get the cool sounds you want to hear.

And yes, I know that "at no extra cost" are taboo words in the corporate structures in SR. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
McCummhail
post Sep 4 2009, 01:38 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,452

I wager the pew-pew or pzZoooom noise lasers are standard issue.
You will have to pay extra to de-activate the sounds or pay extra for the silent killer version.

+Quote Post
Chrome Tiger
post Sep 4 2009, 02:10 PM
Post #9

Shiny Metal Kitty Head

The new and improved Ares Infantry Stealth Laser, now only 45% more than the pew pew non-stealth version. Yes, it actually costs us less to make the silent version, but we don't care because we know our customers will pay for what they want.

+Quote Post
Kerenshara
post Sep 4 2009, 02:11 PM
Post #10

Shooting Target

Member No.: 17,166

Regarding the "noise" of a weapon-grade laser firing:

The amount of sound resulting from displaced air is going to be relational to the diameter of the lensing aperture/beam itself as well as the power of the beam. The artwork all show very narrow apertures, but consider that the lasers most people are familiar with are even smaller, at most a couple millimeters in width. The ones in the artwork appear to be closer to 1-2 centimeters on the man-portable version and perhaps as much as 3-5 centimeters on the vehicle mounted version. That's actually a significant amount of air, depending on the power of the beam, and by definition, a "weapons-grade" beam is a LOT of power. If you superheat a significant quantity of air then suddenly remove the heat, the surrounding air is going to rush to fill the volume, not unlike thunder. The question is, are we talking "pop" or "boom"? Having never heard a "weapons-grade" laser fire at sea-level, I can't say, and we're working with unknowns here.

The second sound producer is the impact of the laser on a target. For a laser weapon to be useful, the energy transfer has to be two things: massive and instantaneous. For those people wanting to point at the ABL or earlier ground-based anti-ballistic laser tests, they were all still trying to heat up the target to failure and don't trully represent what a battlefield laser is going to need to do it's job. Specifically, even the ABL in testing requires seconds of coninuous power on-target to have te desired result, which in this case is failure of the (thin and realatively fragile) rocket casing. What most people don't realize is that many liquid-fueled rockets, to save weight, have the outer skin of the missile serve AS the fuel tank itself, and if not pressurized, the tanks have as much inherent structural strength as an empty beer can. Essentially, if you can keep the beam mostly on the same place for a couple seconds, you can rupture the tank or casing (in the case of a solid rocket). If the casing is ruptured by heat, you either a) may ignite the un-fired portion of solid fuel or b) lose containment of expanding gasses dramatically altering your thrust vector and essentially crashing the thing. Here's the problem: on a ground battlefield or in a dogfight in the skies, you're going to need a laser PULSE not a continuous BEAM. You need to deliver all the energy of that several second beam in a fraction of a second, comparable to the time needed for a bullet to transfer all of it's energy to a target. With a pulse that powerful, you're not going to see "melting" or "cutting" like you would on lower-powered beams; You're going to see some rather impressive results as all that energy is transfered into the target. Think of it this way: what would happen if you super-heated the 60%+ of water in the (meta)human body to beyond, oh, say, 500 degrees F? Instant flash vaporization, and the other 40%- of the body's material isn't designed to contain those kinds of pressure. Can you say "explosion of gore"? Around the outer edges of the wound, you're going to see cauterization/burning of tissue possibly, but I don't think you're going to get neat little pin-holes; those would be as useless as punching a tiny hole neatly through somebody with a bullet (unless you hit something really vital on the way through). Against harder targets, the result is going to be different but similarly impressive and you dramatically exceed the tolerances of the materials from differential expansion. Some of the material may just vaporize (aluminum comes to mind with the very low heat-capacity) with related-results to the bdy as micro-imperfections channel the energy and shatter the object. At least that's some of the theory, once the energy levels get high enough and instantaneous enough. THAT's going to result in a sound, if only of bits ane pieces flying in every direction.

So depending on the aperture, power and target, a small laser being fired MIGHT result in the sound of a sledgehammer hitting a watermellon... and the sound of stew meat flying through the air and spattering back onto the ground, of it could result in a thunder-like boom and a sount of catastrophically rending and shattering metal. IF the energy transfer is sudden enough and large enough. Like what you'd expect a man-portable infantry weapon to be able to do against a running, dodging rather fleeting target rushing between bits of cover.

+Quote Post
Chrome Tiger
post Sep 4 2009, 02:35 PM
Post #11

Shiny Metal Kitty Head

Snap crackle fizz.

+Quote Post
TheOOB
post Sep 4 2009, 03:25 PM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 10,749

I would imagine that the laser would have a sound, but most people would no associate that sound with gunfire unless they are very well trained.

+Quote Post
Zaranthan
post Sep 4 2009, 03:28 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,949

QUOTE (McCummhail @ Sep 4 2009, 08:31 AM) *
The Sci-fi genre would have collapsed log ago if lasers didn't make awesome noises.
Now lasers in space on the other hand should not make discernible noise despite what Hollywood thinks.

Justified. Trope.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Sep 4 2009, 03:41 PM
Post #14

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,760

QUOTE (McCummhail @ Sep 4 2009, 07:31 AM) *

Actually, as everyone knows, one of the many difficulties of using lasers is venting off excess heat. One of the most popular ways of doing this in space is to surround the laser aparatus in a conductive (but invisible) gas, surrounded in turn by insulative material. After each shot, the gas is super-heated and immediately ejected through tiny vents in every direction (so as to not exert any significant force on the ship). While the gas is ejecting, it can still be heard inside of the cabin, and the sound of high-pressure gas undergoing controlled release into space happens to sound like 'phheeww'.

The sound of explosions and background music are just simulators to intuitively represent the situation outside, especially regarding events that may not be immediately visible.

+Quote Post
Straight Razor
post Sep 4 2009, 04:15 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,761

I've worked with lasers and even built my own once. Kerenshara, said most of what i could think of.
The only sounds that a laser will make are the humming and buzzing of the lasing device int self. gas tubes being louder that diodes. This noise is not very loud though, Even a lager 10Kw laser is not too loud to drowned out a conversation right beside it, though it's close.
when the laser fires some air in it's path will be turned to plasma. Also some of the material vaporized off the target will be turned into plasma. only the later will be violent enough to be noticeably audible it smaller lasers. Even the 40w cosmetic/surgical lasers make a pretty good pop when they hit.
On the really big guys i think the discharge would sound like thunder. As the air along the path ionized and expanded.

On a tangent note:
i once say a blerp in a laser weapon that used a very specific power and frequency. i think they also emitted a low power microwave beam along the path.
the result was then the laser hit a human target a small amount of fine material(dead skin, cloth fibers, hair) was turned into plasma. This plasma gave off a EM field that stimulated pain receptor nerves.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Sep 4 2009, 04:28 PM
Post #16

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

Lasers make whatever cool sound you know from your favoourite show employing them

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Sep 4 2009, 06:06 PM
Post #17

ghostrider

Member No.: 6,333

QUOTE (BookWyrm @ Sep 4 2009, 08:30 AM) *
IRL, lasers do not make the noises you describe, but, as in some other games I know of, the company that makes said lasers can add a 'effects-sound generator' at no extra cost to get the cool sounds you want to hear.

And yes, I know that "at no extra cost" are taboo words in the corporate structures in SR. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

That's one of my favorite things in any Rifts supplement ever.

+Quote Post
Falconer
post Sep 4 2009, 06:10 PM
Post #18

Neophyte Runner

Group: Validating
Member No.: 13,662

Here's a related thread from a while back....
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...27147&st=65

Reference thread... post referenced has elementary physics math for amount of energy in a weaponized beam. (assumed 5cm x 5cm x 20cm hole cut, w/ estimates far lower than they should be, but serves to illustrate that even being very generous that a weaponized laser of SR power should be in the megajoule range.

That much said, I wouldn't expect much of a sound from the beam. If your wavelengths are such that you're not in the gasses spectral lines, it's going to be hard to ionize the gas (now since the atmosphere isn't 100% one gas... I'd expect some bits of it to get heated and that to heat surrounding gas slightly leading to thermal bloom). Now if you get some kind of 'smoke', I have no problem w/ that incandescing and showing the laser, but even there I don't think you'll get much of a sound. I'd believe most of the sound would be from the steam explosion at the target from the sudden flash vaporization of target matter.

Also, since SR lasers are SA... w/ 4 passes. 8 shots over 3 seconds... so roughly .3s per shot... we can quickly ballpark them in around 1megajoule over say a quarter second. Or 4 megawatt at least.

+Quote Post
kzt
post Sep 4 2009, 07:08 PM
Post #19

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

What Kerenshara, Straight Razor, and Falconer said.

The other thing is that the way you attack armor with a high-powered pulse laser is lot like how a HEP or HESH round penetrates armor. It superheats the armor into gas and the superheated armor explosively expands, compressing the armor towards the inside. On the inside a chunk of the armor tears off the inside face (spalling) and shreds everything inside.

I suspect this is not quiet.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Sep 4 2009, 07:13 PM
Post #20

The ShadowComedian

Why are people so frigging hung up on realism concerning such awesome stuff like frigging LASER CANNONS?
Realism has to go to the corner and wear the doofus hat while fun with lasers is being had <.<

+Quote Post
DarkKindness
post Sep 4 2009, 07:19 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,522

I think that it's just the hard sci-fi side of Shadowrun's appeal. I'm all for realism in the more scientific aspects of Shadowrun, since where the setting really diverges from things that are possible is the introduction of magic and its repercussions. Hard sci-fi needs to stay hard sci-fi so that the fantasy can have a realistic grounding point.

Also, I'd imagine it'd make a difference if you were trying to be all sneaky-like and fire a laser gun...

+Quote Post
Traul
post Sep 4 2009, 07:24 PM
Post #22

Running Target

Member No.: 17,229

You can add a voice activation on your laser gun to have only fire when you make the pew pew sound with your mouth.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Sep 4 2009, 07:29 PM
Post #23

The ShadowComedian

trying to be all sneaky-like and fire a laser gun

Staying with the Hard Sci-Fi you defend in your posting:
You don't see anything wrong with taking laser guns that fire lacnes of fire and heat up pretty much everything around them and up to the target on a sneaky run? O.o

+Quote Post
DarkKindness
post Sep 4 2009, 07:31 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,522

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Sep 4 2009, 02:29 PM) *
Staying with the Hard Sci-Fi you defend in your posting:
You don't see anything wrong with taking laser guns that fire lacnes of fire and heat up pretty much everything around them and up to the target on a sneaky run? O.o

Staying with hard sci-fi, the beam of the laser itself would be invisible, unless passing through some sort of particulate (dust, mist, etc...) in the air (which would also, in all likelihood, scatter the beam sufficiently to make it a pointless exercise to fire through such obstructions).

+Quote Post
Bugfoxmaster
post Sep 4 2009, 07:31 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,510

A slightly different, and more amusing question,
In Street Magic, there's a single-target light-element spell called 'laser'. What the hell does that do? Does it make noise? Is it ANYTHING like a normal laser? Or is it just a normal bolt of light without any coolness involved...

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:59 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.