Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shooting Underslung Grenade Launcher?
TeaTime
post Sep 4 2009, 05:44 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,819

I'd very much like to shoot someone in the face with the grenade launcher on my Ares Alpha. Do I use Automatics or some other skill?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kzt
post Sep 4 2009, 05:50 PM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

In SR3 you used the main weapon skill. It isn't stated in SR4 as far as I know. Presumably it would be heavy weapons, like for a standalone GL.

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post Sep 4 2009, 05:58 PM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 8,626

I seem to remember this coming up a long time ago. In strict RAW you need to use heavy weapons, but I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to "default" to automatics for a slight penalty, especially on a weapon where the launcher is integrated.

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Sep 4 2009, 06:01 PM
Post #4

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

Yup, Heavy Weapons skill for all launch weapons.
QUOTE (SR4A @ p.122)
Heavy Weapons (Agility )
The Heavy Weapons skill allows the user to handle ranged projectile
and launch weapons larger than an assault rifle, including large weapons
when they are mounted on tripods, pintles, gyromounts, or in fixed
emplacements (but not in or on vehicles).
Default: Yes
Skill Group: None
Specializations: Assault Cannon, Grenade Launchers, Guided
Missiles, Machine Guns, Rocket Launchers

(italics mine)
QUOTE (SR4A @ p.320)
Use the Heavy Weapons skill when firing grenade and missile launchers.

If you lack the Heavy Weapons skill, you would default per the standard rules for defaulting, which would mean rolling your Agility -1 die.

+Quote Post
TeaTime
post Sep 4 2009, 06:12 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Exactly what I was needing. Thanks!

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Sep 4 2009, 06:23 PM
Post #6

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

You're welcome.

+Quote Post
TeaTime
post Sep 4 2009, 07:10 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

And gosh darn it, I'm sure I'm overlooking this, but I can't seem to find a Firearm Accessory for a Underslung Grenade Launcher. What's the best way to add one to a weapon that doesn't have a UGL already built in?

+Quote Post
Dr Funfrock
post Sep 4 2009, 07:16 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,618

Check Arsenal. It's a mod using 3 slots. No cost, aside from the cost of the weapon (and using up half your mod space).

Using Heavy Weapons for an underslung launcher makes perfect sense. Grenades have a completely different ballistic path to bullets, so trying to fire one the way you'd use an assault rifle would just cause you to screw up even worse.
I'll admit, if you were point blanking, it'd be fair to allow it, but point blank the grenade wouldn't even arm, so they'd just get smacked in the face with a fast moving lump of metal. Be about the same as a good hard swing with an aluminium bat.

Also, please note that technically the underbarrel weapon mod can be applied to any weapon, including those that already have an underbarrel launcher. This means that you can mod a flamethrower onto an Ares Alpha, and go all Ripley on people's asses. As a GM I'd be perfectly OK with this, because it's awesome (and because the weapon is completely balanced by the fact that actually trying to use that monstrosity will bring the national guard down on your ass).

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post Sep 4 2009, 07:20 PM
Post #9

Runner

QUOTE (Dr Funfrock @ Sep 4 2009, 02:16 PM) *
Also, please note that technically the underbarrel weapon mod can be applied to any weapon, including those that already have an underbarrel launcher. This means that you can mod a flamethrower onto an Ares Alpha, and go all Ripley on people's asses. As a GM I'd be perfectly OK with this, because it's awesome.

We have a winner!

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Sep 4 2009, 07:56 PM
Post #10

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

QUOTE (Dr Funfrock @ Sep 4 2009, 02:16 PM) *
Also, please note that technically the underbarrel weapon mod can be applied to any weapon, including those that already have an underbarrel launcher. This means that you can mod a flamethrower onto an Ares Alpha, and go all Ripley on people's asses. As a GM I'd be perfectly OK with this, because it's awesome (and because the weapon is completely balanced by the fact that actually trying to use that monstrosity will bring the national guard down on your ass).

You have to reign it in somewhere. An underbarrel shotgun on a 1 handed SMG is a bit much (it should be noted that the pictured gun has the highest upgraded barrel extender and the largest stock, so it's about 30% longer than the base gun, which is shorter than the shotgun).

+Quote Post
Adarael
post Sep 4 2009, 08:03 PM
Post #11

Deus Absconditus

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,566

As a note, that's not an SMG, that's a Giat FAMAS, which is definitely an assault rifle. And it actually can accept that mod IRL - it just doesn't look as ridiculous because it's not a whole shotgun.

(In army of two, that is exactly the weapon I used the whole game.)

+Quote Post
Kliko
post Sep 4 2009, 08:47 PM
Post #12

Shooting Target

Member No.: 12,403

In sr3 you could default skill to skill (tn+2) with your underbarrel grenade launcher. Otherwise you used the launch weapons skill...

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Sep 4 2009, 09:03 PM
Post #13

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Adarael @ Sep 4 2009, 03:03 PM) *
As a note, that's not an SMG, that's a Giat FAMAS, which is definitely an assault rifle. And it actually can accept that mod IRL - it just doesn't look as ridiculous because it's not a whole shotgun.
(In army of two, that is exactly the weapon I used the whole game.)

Duely noted. I do think they called it an SMG though. Wish I could find a screeny of just the base gun with the shotgun; it looks so ridiculous.
Anyway, I only payed through the first mission with a friend's rented copy. The game is pretty awesome.

+Quote Post
Adarael
post Sep 4 2009, 09:06 PM
Post #14

Deus Absconditus

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,566

It gets exponentially more ridiculous as it goes along. Totally worth it as a rental.

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post Sep 4 2009, 09:10 PM
Post #15

Runner

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Sep 4 2009, 04:03 PM) *
Duely noted. I do think they called it an SMG though. Wish I could find a screeny of just the base gun with the shotgun; it looks so ridiculous.
Anyway, I only payed through the first mission with a friend's rented copy. The game is pretty awesome.

Masterkeys are also very common underbarrel AR mods for urban environments. Locked door? *BLAM* What lock?

+Quote Post
McCummhail
post Sep 4 2009, 09:38 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,452

QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Sep 4 2009, 05:10 PM) *
Masterkeys are also very common underbarrel AR mods for urban environments. Locked door? *BLAM* What lock?

Masterkeys are also very common in dungeons. They allow you to access the boss chamber.

Also, if you have an underbarrel shotgun mod loaded with dragonsbreath rounds you can simulate the Ripley factor on a budget.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Sep 4 2009, 10:00 PM
Post #17

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Adarael @ Sep 4 2009, 04:06 PM) *
It gets exponentially more ridiculous as it goes along. Totally worth it as a rental.

He keeps asking me if he needs to rent it again, and I've said yes like 3 times. We only see each other once a week (in the flesh) so it doesn't give us a very big window.

+Quote Post
DuctShuiTengu
post Sep 4 2009, 10:16 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,162

QUOTE (Dr Funfrock @ Sep 4 2009, 09:16 PM) *

This is indeed awesome. That said, I think I'd be more inclined to mod the AA onto say... the Walther MA-2100. Or go with modding together an Ares Alpha and a Nitama Optimum to get 4 weapons (okay, two of them assault rifles) in one.

+Quote Post
kzt
post Sep 4 2009, 10:37 PM
Post #19

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

You need to attach a GL to a pistol.

+Quote Post
InfinityzeN
post Sep 5 2009, 02:05 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,707

The rules for the underbarrel weapon do clearly state that the underbarrel weapon must not be larger than the weapon it is mounted under. Just remember that lil tid bit. Otherwise you end up with heavy pistols with underbarrel assault cannons.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:32 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.