Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Houngans, Ghede
Raptor1033
post Jan 29 2004, 05:11 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,370

What counts as an inappropriate situation for a joke to be played in? A funeral? Someone getting news their parents died? Any situation where the joke will shock someone? Would that stretch far enough to play a joke on someone who's trying to hide for their life, like put a remote activated laughy bag in their pocket?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DV8
post Jan 29 2004, 08:35 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 116

I'm thoroughly confused.

+Quote Post
Catsnightmare
post Jan 29 2004, 09:39 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 90

Check out the description of the Voodoo totem of Ghede in MitS.

+Quote Post
Munchkinslayer
post Jan 29 2004, 09:46 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,702

Tea-bagging your buddy while he's sleeping and taking a picture.

+Quote Post
Nazgul
post Jan 29 2004, 11:31 AM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 5,998

*Using the spell Phantasm to create a credstick to pay someone off with then releasing the spell when you drive away

*Making objects (cars) invisible in busy areas

*Casting foreboding in a busy mall

*Casting dream on fellow-runners while you're on watch

*Hot-potato in a restaurant

Sure, you'd probaly get it a lot of trouble, but they're all gold, GOLD

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Jan 29 2004, 02:09 PM
Post #6

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

I agree with Nazgul. If your patron is Ghede but you're even the remotest bit professional, you're jokes -- while inappropriate -- would not endanger the run or your payment. Plus, you could be even more creative with your spells and still call them "effective" jokes. Consider:

1) Using phantasm to make it look like your team is bigger than it is. Draws enemy fire and generally might scare the piss out of them.

2) Use the Mirror spell (from TSS #9) to make yourself look like one of the bad guys! The spell basically makes the caster look like a target in LOS. Then, walk up to the bad guys and pull your jokes on them!

3) Agony is a really funny spell -- especially if you keep releasing it and recasting it at the "opportune moment."

4) Magic Fingers is always good for a laugh. Use it on their shoelaces, their grenade pins, their gun's safety switch, that potted plant they're standing next to, the fire alarm at the other end of the hall, etc.

And more ....

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Jan 31 2004, 04:45 AM
Post #7

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

Ghede is not the god of slapstick but rather seeks to remove hypocrisy and the sort of behavior from people caught up in appearances rather than honesty-nothing is more honest than everything dies eventually.

For example at a funeral the hougan would not stand up and do the dead parrot sketch over the body, but ,while making the eulogy might comment to a member in the audience "You weren't a particularly close friend. Just making sure he's really dead?"

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Jan 31 2004, 04:57 AM
Post #8

Beetle Eater

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,826

Snow Fox
...while making the eulogy might comment to a member in the audience "You weren't a particularly close friend. Just making sure he's really dead?"

And then using Compel Truth on the person...
"I know he's dead; I killed him"

+Quote Post
Raptor1033
post Jan 31 2004, 05:32 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,370

yeah, he's supposed to shock and challenge others' preconceptions/prejudices and respects nothing. i'm not that good at coming up with jokes like that very often, so maybe i shouldn't play a houngan of ghede. but then again i love the concept of the tall, gaunt, black man wearing a black coat with tails, sunglasses, with a cigar and cane, it just oozes style.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Jan 31 2004, 10:15 AM
Post #10

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

Houngans of Ghede may not always be funny, per se - just shocking. Keep in mind that they are not a "stupid prankster" Totem. I don't see them endangering the run or the life of a fellow runner with a joke. I do see them, like Snow Fox said, being brutally honest and not respecting social taboos. An example of an inappropriate situation would be if you are turning down a Yakuza boss's job offer, and say "I'd give you the finger, but I don't have anything to wrap it with."

+Quote Post
simonw2000
post Jan 31 2004, 09:30 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,491

Quotes from Groucho Marx would go down well. "I always remember a face, but in your case, I'd make an exception!"

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 04:03 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.