Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shoe Endorsements, Rant
DV8
post Jan 29 2004, 09:53 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 116

Yesterday I read the chapter "Life on the Run" in the Sprawl Survival Guide, one of the latest Shadowrun products, written by Elissa Carey, better known as our very own Pistons. While it's probably the best written chapter in the book, it's contents confirmed a fear I have held for a very long time now concerning the direction the Shadowrun developers were taking the game; Shadowrunners turned pop culture icons. I was so angry, and though I had vented about the becoming of this monstrosity before, I finally decided to put my thoughts on how this could never be down in writing thereby gladly defying canon material, something which I'm not quick to do but feel I have to.

.: The Problem
Since when is the concept of a shadowrunner one that is commonly known by the unwashed masses? Since when are there shadowrun simsense movies and television series? How come there are ex-shadowrunners out there that thrive on their reputation as a former shadowrunner and make a wonderful career in the simsense industry? Why is a concept that is unanimously agreed upon by all parties directly involved that it requires the utmost secrecy and discretion in order to be successful turned into an exploit of cheap entertainment?

Shadowrunners exist by virtue of secrecy! Say it with me now; without this secrecy they would be nothing!

.: Discretion and Deniability
Essentially, shadowrunners exist because there are corporations, organisation and individuals who have need for the services of the subversive elements in society to further their own goals. Usually it's the corporations who dip into this pool of resources because they can pay for these relatively expensive services. But oddly enough, corporations are probably one of the few organisations who could reach the same results without attracting independent, outside resources. Why is it that corporations will go through all the trouble of hiring professional outside resources?

Deniability. The first and last line of defense in an all out war to win, and keep, consumer confidence.

Discretion is a shadowrunner's most important tool. It's what he gets paid his money for. If it was just for the sabotage, kidnapping, wetwork or datasteals, the corps would simply hire some streetcreeps to do the job. But the extra money and attention goes towards making sure the actions of the shadowrunners cannot be traced back to their employer and so, at best, their victims have to blame what happens on a bunch of people who don't exist according to the system and seemed to have operated without a clear motivation. That way the employer doesn't have to engage in a campaign to save the corporate image, which could take months, during which time the stock and therefor the profitability of the company would take a huge hit.

.: Silence Is Golden
Mass manipulation through subtle corporate doctrine will be so sophisticated that even if shadowruns would see the light of day and be laid before public scrutiny it would be spun in such a way that recollection won't ever bring memories of a corp-sponsored covert operation. Just like UFO sightings will always be swamp gas, so will a shadowrun always be nothing more than an unfortunate explosion resulting from an imbalance in improperly stored chemicals, a glitch in the security system, or the head of a research department being sent on a much needed vacation only to die in a unfortunate kayaking accident. Shadowrunners are always deluded eco-terrorists, neo-anarchists looking to discredit or even overthrow a corporation, a confused vigilante or something that creates an equal amount of sympathy for the victim corporation.

Admitting to sabotage, theft, murder or kidnapping, by any of the parties involved, would have far too many negative repercussions. Should the truth come out about the instigator, stock and public opinion would plummet, credibility would be shot and possible charges from the Corporate Court or any number of governments could be the results. Admitting to be the victim of sabotage, theft, murder or kidnapping would result in a reduction of shareholder confidence, which in turn could, potentially, lead to a loss in stock value and company liquidity. Thus, it behooves both parties to keep as much of it out of the public eye.

.: Public Awareness
Within corporate enclaves especially, but also among corporate citizens, the thought of anything or anyone trying to undermine the corp is met with painful disbelief and misunderstanding. Years of indoctrine rebuts the very notion of corporations engaging in warfare outside of the Desert Wars; "the corporation takes care of everyone." Nobody doubts it and those that do are quickly silenced and rehabilitated. Even if a corporate peon would suspect something, many of them would gladly forget what the saw or heard in order to go back to believing in a lie. People need stability and are willing to repress a lot to maintain it.

Outside of the corporate enclaves, and on the streets, people are far more skeptical, far less willing to believe in the good and the charity of corporations. But it's that same skepticism that has turned most people into jaded drones. The majority of this group is relatively poor compared to their corporate counterparts and have given up their idealisms for a survivalist mentality. They don't care what happens to corporations, or how they do business. They accept what they get fed through a trid-set and what they read in screamsheets and newsfaxes.

From corporate sponsored schools, and the corporate owned news sources, and the corporate lobbies in governments all over the world, and the meticulously thought out advertisements finally rises an image that's incredibly hard to shatter or undermine.

.: "But What About..."
"...spies and assassins and thieves and Mafiosi and all the films about hackers and other subversive elements in society!? If we know about them, and see them in the news, then why not Shadowrunners!?"

Well, because corporations won't allow a concept like that to thrive, because it would undermine the discretion and deniability that they so value. All the other subversive elements of society that you can think of, none are so rare and important as shadowrunners and anything would be done to allow them to do what they do. And in 2060 there will be the opportunity to do so by media manipulation. Films wouldn't be funded, books wouldn't be published, and television programs would be taken off the air.

The Mafia has never been a secret society, and the Free-Masons, well, though they are supposed to be, they're hardly a secret, now are they? Spies, assassins, thieves? These are all concepts that are as old as humanity but a relatively new concept as that of a shadowrunner can still be protected and maintained as a secret by regulating media, spin-doctoring the results of their exploits and demanding the utmost secrecy from the shadow-community itself.

A shadowrunner in the media...seriously...his body would be cold before the ink on the paper of his simcontract would be dry.

From Why Shadowrunners Will Never Receive Shoe Endorsements
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jan 29 2004, 10:18 AM
Post #2

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

Amen. Runner trid shows would probably still exist, though, although they would bear as little relation to actual running as The X-Files bears to actual paranormal events (or what they would be if the existed, if your beliefs lie more in that direction).
Though actually, there is one... hm. Runners probably wouldn't have that sort of utmost secrecy because of the ability to blame hirings on a manager involved in a personal feud or somesuch. Obviously the existence as an entire industry would remain hidden, but there could still be people...
Augh. It's too early, and I need to get some sleep before the sun rises. I'll come back with a better-reasoned reply later today.

~J

+Quote Post
Adarael
post Jan 29 2004, 10:23 AM
Post #3

Deus Absconditus

Member No.: 5,566

Well, my one complaint to that well-thought out essay is just this. In my dictionary of life, there's an entry that goes like this:

Shadowrunner, noun. One who commits criminal activities in the most silent and untracable way possible, in exchange for money. Commonly used by corporations against other corporations, though occasionally by other groups or private individuals.

See, my definition of 'shadowrunner' is pretty broad. A movie like Ronin? Shadowrunners. Mission Impossible? Shadowrunners. Ergo, I don't have a problem with the media having movies or TV shows about Shadowrunners.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Jan 29 2004, 10:44 AM
Post #4

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Ehhh, wouldn't governments suppress the notion of spies? Since they work on the self same principle of secrecy and deniability and discretion too?

Ergo, why wouldn't Ares accuse Aztech of hiring Shadowrunners to sabotage them if they had the proof? And reap a media windfall?

Shadowrunners ARE assassins, spies and thieves. If one exist, so must the other.

We know that there are spies. But we think our government is too noble/benovolent to use them or that our spies are patriots who sacrifice their lives for their country, but we know that the enemy will use the spies and enemy spies are all evil/malicious people. Same with corps. My corp doesn't hire runners, but I know Novatech and Renraku do. :D

+Quote Post
DV8
post Jan 29 2004, 10:50 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

QUOTE (toturi)
Ehhh, wouldn't governments suppress the notion of spies? Since they work on the self same principle of secrecy and deniability and discretion too?

Well, because governments now - or rather, governments way back when spies were first employed, didn't have the same sophistication of information control.

Ergo, why wouldn't Ares accuse Aztech of hiring Shadowrunners to sabotage them if they had the proof? And reap a media windfall?

For the reasons I gave above. It would, effectively cripple Ares in using their own shadowresources because it would be known that these things happen, as well as cause a dent in their stability. Shareholders would withdraw their money from corporations under fire.

Shadowrunners ARE assassins, spies and thieves. If one exist, so must the other.

That would be true of assassins, spies and thieves would also be shadowrunners, which they're not.

+Quote Post
Quix
post Jan 29 2004, 11:41 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,764

I agree with Adarael on this one. You don't actually expect shadowrunners to exist in your reality, ie not on the trid screen. Just like I don't expect Star Trek to work as well in real life as it does on TV. Movies like Ronin or MI are always happening somewhere else to someone else. They don't happen right in my face, of course I live beyond the edge of the world, about 2 miles past, so that's not saying much. No shadowrunner is going to to live off their reputation because if all went well then the only people who know it happened are the runners and the person who hired them. Any runner who starts running their mouth is liable to get themselves heard on some corps grapevine.
Besides what simsense company wants REAL shadowrunners? They want actors who can go through a script and make it look good. People who look the look on screen. Most shadowrunners are going to be to real for this. Unless you want to do 'Reality TV'. In which case you just took your employability and shot it with an assault cannon.

+Quote Post
DV8
post Jan 29 2004, 12:00 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Besides what simsense company wants REAL shadowrunners?

You shouldn't get too stuck on the example. The same would go for any shadowrunner interacting with the media about his dealings, whether it openly or not, or whether it in the role of a technical advisor on the sim-set. The spread of the concept should be cause for retaliation.

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Jan 29 2004, 12:33 PM
Post #8

Runner

Member No.: 948

I like shoes, they keep my feet dry and warm.

+Quote Post
Xirces
post Jan 29 2004, 01:08 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,046

The single most important part of what DV8 has said (BRAVO BTW) is that runners DO NOT EXIST.

THIS MEANS NO SIN - EVEN A FAKE.

Mulitple fake IDs do not make sense when they are based on something like DNA/Fingerprints/Iris scans - any sensible system (read: the ones in development IRL) would not allow this corruption.

Any ID will be traced back to the holder.

Runners simply CANNOT exist in any govt. or corp DB. That's it.

Sorry for shouting it's just this really pi$$es me off. Really.

The whole media interaction thing started with the Seattle Sourcebook and unless you're playing a media campaign (Give me back my Rockers and Reporters) it don't sit well as a primary hook. Sure, a runner can have contacts with the media, but no runner will appear on Trid or advertise their profession, even after retirement - what's the limitation on murder, arson, theft etc in the 6th world? Even 20 years after the fact you're gonna get caught.

On the other hand I have no problem with movies about Runners (or Those Who Do Jobs Like Them) existing, simply because everyone knows that movies and TV aren't real. I fully expect that the urban myth of runners would generate media interest to the point where people would claim to be runners to get respect/fear/whatever and the media feed to feed that fantasy. I can fully imagine schools full of runner wannabe kids who know nothing of the true nature of it, but think it's somehow cool and IF they meet Joe Samurai will hero worship him (think Noober and Neeber, Baldur's Gate fans).

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Jan 29 2004, 01:24 PM
Post #10

Shooting Target

Member No.: 2,032

I think that movies with shadowrunners in them would be as close to real shadowrunner activities as things like James Bond are to real spy activities.

I also think that the average Joe Public will not be overly bothered if Ares has been accused of spying by SK in the same way that I don't expect any less of governments these days for having spy satellites or spies.

They are deniable assets. There are no ties to the corp itself. Even the money shadowrunners recieved would be virtually untraceable and Jhonsons are presumably prized on how traceless they keep their links.

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Jan 29 2004, 01:28 PM
Post #11

Runner

Member No.: 948

Well, a runner CAN have a SIN, life on the edge will just be a bit more dangerous with one. And it is entirely possible to create a fake sin that is so watertight that no-one can find out the truth behind it.

Another point, even though you have a maximized fake SIN and tripple security features it is stupid beyound belief to go out in the media and say that you have indeed been a shadowrunner. Ok, so the law can't find anything illegal or wrong with your SIN and neither can they tie you to any of your so called "crimes".

SOMEONE will know who and what you are and might just use the characters celebrity against them (A concealed rifle in a camera for example).

Another little point, how the heck do you PROVE that you were a shadowrunner? Do you brag about in media how you worked for X company doing Y to B company? IF you do that be prepared to get a BIG lawsuit thrown your way for making false accusations or some such thing, you just stepped over the line of professional ethics, never, ever talk about you clients, customers or targets. Big no-no.

Ok, so you PROVED that you are a shadowrunner and company B took back their lawsuit because you proved in court that you actually did Y to B and got paid by X. YAY! You have now become the biggest dumbass on the planet, you just admitted A CRIME. Company B just called the cops and had you arrested or called their own layers to have your ass handed to them on a platter.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Jan 29 2004, 01:47 PM
Post #12

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

QUOTE (DV8)

That would be true of assassins, spies and thieves would also be shadowrunners, which they're not.

That's a logical fallacy. "Roses are flowers if and only if flowers are roses." No, a shadowrunner is a subset of (assassins + thievess + spies), however existence in (assassins + thieves + spies) does not garauntee one is a shadowrunner.

I don't see what the big problem is. Yes, shadowrunners are deniable in that individual missions aren't tracable, but that doesn't mean that they deny the entire profession. It seems a bit excessive. People have been doing runs for 30+ years now, and corporate espionage is an old shoe, as it were. There will have been plenty of people on all levels who have said 'this stuff goes on'. Failed runs, the Johnsons, conspiracy theorists, rash runners who spill the beans, cops... they know and they talk sometimes. Examples will have been in the news, after three decades. It's not some big secret like all people who work for IBM are secretly extra terrestrials or something, which actually COULD be covered up forever.

If we already know that it HAPPENS, even if we don't know the details except from the failed missions and the runners who crack under interrogation, why not make a show about it? In fact, why not make a show about it which has absolutely *NOTHING* to do with actual shadowrunning? We could have something like Jake 2.0 or Alias, where it's so far off from reality, that not only does it not reinforce the shadowrun stories, but it draws the scent away from the truth. If I were CIA, I'd love Alias. And who best to hire, but some handsome guy 'from the streets' who claims to be a runner? Don't care if he really is (although if he's that smart and that good looking, he might just be), but just someone the public will believe. If Joe Shadowrunner wants to talk about the runs he did against Fuchi, who cares? Fuchi certainly doesn't. If he wants to make up a story with an imaginary corp and an imaginary mission, let 'em. If a real runner, like Dodger or someone, went public that would be trouble, but if some no name no corp hired for anything sensitive signed on, hey, who cares?

+Quote Post
DV8
post Jan 29 2004, 01:53 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

QUOTE (nezumi)
QUOTE (DV8 @ Jan 29 2004, 05:50 AM)

That's a logical fallacy. "Roses are flowers if and only if flowers are roses." No, a shadowrunner is a subset of (assassins + thievess + spies), however existence in (assassins + thieves + spies) does not garauntee one is a shadowrunner.

Exactly as I was saying.

If Joe Shadowrunner wants to talk about the runs he did against Fuchi, who cares?  Fuchi certainly doesn't.

That's the most preposterous thing I've heard all week. Of course Fuchi would care. Of course Fuchi would care. Not only Fuchi, but his former employer would care.

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Jan 29 2004, 02:08 PM
Post #14

Runner

Member No.: 5,375

IIRC, there were numerous, if minor, references to shadowrunners in pop culture in the SR1 and 2 days. I don't have page numbers for you but there were always shadowtalk postings involving "...it ain't like the trid where Johnny SR takes on [abc]corp with his twin preds..." Remember, back in those days obvious armour and chrome were "cool". Where do you think the population got that notion from??

Also, I believe there are numerous references to the media glorifying runners and the work they do. In the Secrets of Power Trilogy (and any SR novel where non-runners meet runners) there's a section or two about how "...these runners act nothing like the runners you see on the trid".

You have to remember, to some, runners are percieved as gallant Robin Hood types. They stand up to the Man (Corps) and stuff like that. To a downtrodden population that's just the boost they need to get through their miserable lives...AND keep buying stuff from said corps. Which makes both parties happy. So, corps just might promote the idea of SRs and "cool". Its good for moral and profits. I'd imagine that the runners portrayed would do nothing to hurt the sponsoring corp in question though. Kinda like "renegade cops"....

There were and still are often references to "wanna-be" runners. Obviously, someone must've let the cat out of the bag if there are people emmulating the "shadow life".

Then there's the fact that there's a trendy name for "deniable, covet/infiltration/espionage assets". ie. Shadowrunners.

As far as SRs actually becoming stars...well, I dunno. The only actual reference to that I could come up with was the elf sniper from "Run Fast, Die Hard". he had a legit deal for a trid series. I imagine "retired" SRs could make a pretty could living as "consultants". Just where do you think the "Sopranos" gets its snappy dialogue from?

I don't think its that far out of the question for a SR to some entertainment work, especially if he or she is "out of the biz". Therefore, I don't think its out of the question for some runners to cash in on the media explosion.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Jan 29 2004, 02:17 PM
Post #15

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

QUOTE (DV8)
QUOTE (nezumi)
If Joe Shadowrunner wants to talk about the runs he did against Fuchi, who cares?  Fuchi certainly doesn't.
That's the most preposterous thing I've heard all week. Of course Fuchi would care. Of course Fuchi would care. Not only Fuchi, but his former employer would care.

The clear majority of viewers of The Runny And The Shadowy will not believe he did anything of the sort. Anyone who does not know a good deal about the runs in question will not give a damn. Joe Shadowrunner certainly isn't in a position where he can do anything like that again. If Fuchi decides to whack JS, what will they gain? They would certainly have a lot to lose there.

Far more efficient is for all the parties involved to just laugh at JS, bring up the fact that he's a beetlehead and a syntatholist, lies for a profession and is just trying to get PR.

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Jan 29 2004, 02:21 PM
Post #16

Shooting Target

Member No.: 2,032

Essentially:
Someone has heard that shadowrunners exist
This sounds dangerous and exciting to aforementioned person
The aforementioned person writes a book about it, or makes-up a role-playing game if he's that way inclined,
Someone else reads the book, thinks it sounds dangerous and exciting
The aforementioned someone else is actually a big-shot sim producer, and decides to make a sim of it
People see the sim, and have then heard the term shadowrun.
It means heroically fighting evil (non-real) corporations to save the main character's father and get the girl.
Is this really telling people what shadowrunners are in a way that people would care?

OK: The "I'm an ex-shadowrunner" line is totally BS but unless people knew better they probably wouldn't question it. In-fact if they did know better they wouldn't question it either, they'd just either laugh or get out of range of any possible blast-radius ASAP.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Jan 29 2004, 02:30 PM
Post #17

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

Look at current trends in pop culture: thugs, drug dealers and gangsta rappers who use their street lifestyles as a selling point to the unwashed masses.

Shadowrunners already exist in the news: "Saphyre: Runner for Hire" as a simchip and even a contact (I forget which one) offers opinions on Shadowrunners, meaning the term is reasonably wide-spread among society in general.

Which means some shoe company would cheerfully take advantage of a shadowrunner to hype a product geared towards kids. Frag, I'm suprised they didn't manufacture one like boybands today. (ackspit)

-Siege

Edit: Granted, bragging to the media about being a runner is probably not good for your health, unless you're lying and (or) go out of your way not to mention specifics.

Even so, be prepared to change your appearance if you ever want to work after that interview.

Brag about bagging Fuchi's top secret project last week and yes, you're so dead St. Peter appears and offers you advance booking in the middle of the interview.

Edit: The ex-runner line has gotta be on the most popular pickup lines in a bar, just like "I'm a firefighter" or "I used to be a Navy SEAL" or similar garbage.

+Quote Post
Xirces
post Jan 29 2004, 02:38 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

QUOTE (Siege)
Which means some shoe company would cheerfully take advantage of a shadowrunner to hype a product geared towards kids. Frag, I'm suprised they didn't manufacture one like boybands today. (ackspit)

THere's the example of the talk show with the runners and sec teams where the spirit slams the host into the camera (isn't this in Sprawl Sites?). Later shadowtalk indicates that maybe they weren't real runners, but the whole thing was done for publicity... I'll try and get a quote on that later, unless someone beats me to it.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Jan 29 2004, 02:43 PM
Post #19

Dragon

QUOTE (Xirces)
QUOTE (Siege @ Jan 29 2004, 02:30 PM)
Which means some shoe company would cheerfully take advantage of a shadowrunner to hype a product geared towards kids.  Frag, I'm suprised they didn't manufacture one like boybands today. (ackspit)

THere's the example of the talk show with the runners and sec teams where the spirit slams the host into the camera (isn't this in Sprawl Sites?). Later shadowtalk indicates that maybe they weren't real runners, but the whole thing was done for publicity... I'll try and get a quote on that later, unless someone beats me to it.

I don't remember the incident in Sprawl Sites, but by all means -- please cite the reference.

Although I do remember a trid show mentioned in Sprawl Sites regarding a crew following runners around...

All of which goes to support the idea that the concept of "runners" is alive and well in the mainstream and will most likely spawn the inevitable copycats and imitators galore.

-Siege

+Quote Post
DV8
post Jan 29 2004, 03:07 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

QUOTE (kevyn668)
I don't think its that far out of the question for a SR to some entertainment work, especially if he or she is "out of the biz". Therefore, I don't think its out of the question for some runners to cash in on the media explosion.

So you've referenced a whole bunch of canon material that treated shadowrunners like pop media icons. Good for you. I did that already by referencing the Sprawl Survival Guide. It was never quite as blatant as it is now, but I never said it didn't happen in SR1 or SR2. Now, why don't you tell me why a shadowrunner could be such a high profile case and not get geeked?

QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
The clear majority of viewers of The Runny And The Shadowy will not believe he did anything of the sort.

Do you think a corporation like Fuchi becomes the biggest consumer electronics seller in the world by leaving things to chance? Only one person has to blow the case wide open for the corporation to be hurting. And that can't happen.

If Fuchi decides to whack JS, what will they gain?

Absolute security. Stability. Shareholder confidence. Consumer confidence. A continued fucking existence.

They would certainly have a lot to lose there.

Which is as much as they were standing to lose when they hired the shadowrunner in the first place. What they have to lose if they don't secure the situation is far, far greater, however.

Far more efficient is for all the parties involved to just laugh at JS, bring up the fact that he's a beetlehead and a syntatholist, lies for a profession and is just trying to get PR.

That's acting after the fact. If you want to be efficient you make sure the need to discredit someone never happens.

QUOTE (Siege)
Shadowrunners already exist in the news: "Saphyre: Runner for Hire" as a simchip and even a contact (I forget which one) offers opinions on Shadowrunners, meaning the term is reasonably wide-spread among society in general.

Thanks for repeating that which everyone already knew, Siege. The entire point of the initial post was to show what a preposterous idea it is.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Jan 29 2004, 03:19 PM
Post #21

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

QUOTE (DV8)
That's acting after the fact. If you want to be efficient you make sure the need to discredit someone never happens.

So Fuchi would have everyone killed who has ever worked for them or against them before they even get to talk to anyone? And how did they know who to kill before this guy had a press meeting about it? Of course if they know someone is going to have a huge case of Big Mouth soon they might well act, depending on how much how sensitive information the person has and how credible he is. In the worst case, they might have him killed. In most cases, it's far easier and less risky to discredit and ignore him.

And I'm still not saying that actual Shadowrunners would be popping up in mainstream media all the time, and certainly they wouldn't be saying much about what they used to do. But I think it can be taken for granted that there will be shadowrun-ish stuff in mainstream media, just like there is spy/espionage/specops stuff in mainstream media today. And it will be just as realistic as the RL stuff is. Ie ex-supermodels running around in tight latex suits blowing up scyscrapers.

Absolute security. Stability. Shareholder confidence. Consumer confidence. A continued fucking existence.

And most importantly: Extreme police scrutiny. You don't think someone will find it a bit ... suspicious, that as soon as someone who claims to be an ex-shadowrunner says anything about acting for/against Fuchi, he is immediately murdered? The situation isn't as bad if the ex-sr in question hasn't gotten the word out yet into the media, but in that case it's much better to simply discredit the guy instead of whacking him. Going about killing everybody isn't good for business, or we'd see a lot more of that stuff IRL.

This post has been edited by Austere Emancipator: Jan 29 2004, 03:22 PM

+Quote Post
Siege
post Jan 29 2004, 03:35 PM
Post #22

Dragon

QUOTE (DV8)
QUOTE (kevyn668)

So you've referenced a whole bunch of canon material that treated shadowrunners like pop media icons. Good for you. I did that already by referencing the Sprawl Survival Guide. It was never quite as blatant as it is now, but I never said it didn't happen in SR1 or SR2. Now, why don't you tell me why a shadowrunner could be such a high profile case and not get geeked?

A real runner would probably never work again. If he mentions clients or targets in detail, he's dead. He's probably at risk by people who might be afraid he's going to spill beans, but Fuchi (as the current example) won't want to geek someone on general principles without need or motivation.

Now (as I said earlier), if he mentions Fuchi by name and brags how he bagged Fuchi's latest, top-secret project...yes, St. Peter will show up in mid-sentence and offer advance booking.

QUOTE (DV8)
QUOTE (Siege)

Thanks for repeating that which everyone already knew, Siege. The entire point of the initial post was to show what a preposterous idea it is.

If you'd read the rest of my post, I drew parallels from today's society that glorifies or idolizes criminals at one end of the spectrum and elite groups at the other.

The gangsta rappers are the easiest example of this -- marketing "street cred" as a means of selling CDs, fashion lines and whathaveyou.

Does the "Saphyre: Runner for Hire" bear any resembalance to actual runners? Probably not. I'm pretty sure actual CIA agents snicker at James Bond and Sydney Bristow.

I'm equally sure plenty of people dream about being a super spy or a Navy SEAL and do their best to pretend, walking the walk and talking the talk without ever having spent any time doing either.

-Siege

+Quote Post
Xirces
post Jan 29 2004, 03:49 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

I don't think that the two are as opposed as you're making out DV8 (hey, imagine that, I'm trying to be a peacemaker). I think the canon references to media interaction are fine. You've just got to remember that just because a someone goes on TV and says he's a runner it doesn't mean that he is and certainly doesn't mean that anyone has to believe him... it's all about disinformation.

How about involving your players in such a run? Some crank IS giving away secrets to the media which may cause problems for your team - do you shut him up, find out his sources, help him avoid the other runners who are gunning for him? There are some nice possibilities without suspending too much disbelief.

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Jan 29 2004, 03:52 PM
Post #24

Runner

Member No.: 5,375

DV8 Posted on Jan 29 2004, 03:07 PM
  QUOTE (kevyn668)

I was merely setting the background for you. You're initial post indicated that you thought this was a rather new and increasing trend. I wanted to establish that this has been going on from SR's inception. Its just taken this long for the idea to go form "media icons" to "spokes persons." So, yes, Good for me. ;)

And while I'm slinging the e-sarcasm, there's no need to take that tone w/ me, pal. You've been around here long enough to know that when you post your thoughts, everyone is not going to hop on your band wagon. Some will agree and some will not. I, personally, do not. But I don't that makes your points any less valid.

Well, it seems to me that it was always blatant. Canon material just never focused on the benefits of popularized 'running. If there are a number of references in official material to state that shadowrunning has been mainstream for some time its only logical that the power brokers of the world would capitalize on that that and start using 'runners or actors caliming to be 'runners as spokes persons. Where's the profit in geeking your spokesperson?? Where's the profit in geeking your competion's spoke person if it leads to a shadow war??

I noticed Ares never geeked the stars of "Against the Hive." No profit in it.

I don't think the SR in question need to be as great as, say, Fastjack. Look at Anna Kornikova. She's a lousy tennis player but rakes in the dough from endorsements b/c she's so marketable. The same is easily true for SRs.

If you want a reference of a high profile runner, look at the elf sniper in "Run Hard, Die Fast". As I already mentioned, he was semi-retired but that Argent fellow had no qualms about using a well known face.

Did you specify in your post that the runners in question had endorsement deals while still running the shadows?

This post has been edited by kevyn668: Jan 29 2004, 03:55 PM

+Quote Post
DV8
post Jan 29 2004, 04:25 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
In most cases, it's far easier and less risky to discredit and ignore him.

That's, of course, a good point. But my hypothesis says that they will act even before anyone even thinks of opening their mouths. They minimise the chance of anyone being stupid enough to open their mouth by demanding the utmost secrecy. If someone does have the audacity to open Pandora's box, then you're right, the way they would react to that depends on their ability to spin the information when it comes out.

And most importantly: Extreme police scrutiny. You don't think someone will find it a bit ... suspicious, that as soon as someone who claims to be an ex-shadowrunner says anything about acting for/against Fuchi, he is immediately murdered?

You must've misunderstood me. Murder isn't the only way a corporation could act after the case has been blown open. But let's get one thing clear, there are also quite a few things they can do before the case blows open. And it's those things that I keep talking about. I think they will do everything in their power to keep the public eye focused on...whatever, and off their subversive operations, and they will do a much better job if nobody knows that such a thing exists. If people can't give it a name, don't have a definition for it, it becomes far harder for them to piece together a seemingly unconnected string of "accidents" and "security glitches." Control the flow of information and you control a society.

QUOTE (Siege)
If you'd read the rest of my post, I drew parallels from today's society that glorifies or idolizes criminals at one end of the spectrum and elite groups at the other.

You still don't seem to get the core of my hypothesis. You keep comparing modern day society, and what we know to society in 2060, in which corporations and influentials would have radically more sophisticated methods of keeping things a secret and spindoctoring those bits of information that would leak out.

How do you know that we don't have things like these going on today? Perhaps the world around us is far more pittiful than we think, and it's just the success of governmental and corporate spindoctors that keep us docile. We wouldn't know this because all the information we'd need to put together that dissociated knowledge is controlled by those who are bent on preventing us from knowing.

Sure, we know about gangsters and thugs, we know about special forces and secret service agents...but those are relatively well known concepts harking back from the days of old. In order to cover something like that up to the point where people couldn't imagine it, we'd have to build a time machine and erase those steps from the memory of our forefathers, it should be erased from the pages of history books.

But shadowrunning is a relatively new concept. Still pretty undefined, still mallable, and has only been around for the last, say 20 years. If the corporations who started out hiring shadowrunners had thought about it before hand, they'd have kept this sort of shit a secret. A select group of individuals would be in the know, while others would be kept out of the loop to ensure secrecy.

How did other corps started noticing? They were they target of a repetition of attacks that bore the same mark. They pieced two and two together because they had undoctored information to analyse. Slowly that information trickles down into the shadows, to those few people that make up the shadow-community. A few fixers, a few streetdoctors, a few people acting as runners, and hey presto, you've got a shadow community in which all parties involved keep the truth from the masses. An unspoken agreement that if this should ever see the light of day it wouldn't be beneficial to any of them.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:25 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.