IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Astral Projection/Drain?, Stun or Physical?
blackheart
post Oct 12 2009, 02:12 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,717

I can't find it anywhere in the rules but for 4th Ed does casting a spell while Astral Projecting still cause Physical damage instead of Stun damage?
Thank-you.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kerrang
post Oct 12 2009, 02:31 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,088

QUOTE (blackheart @ Oct 12 2009, 09:12 AM) *
I can't find it anywhere in the rules but for 4th Ed does casting a spell while Astral Projecting still cause Physical damage instead of Stun damage?
Thank-you.

Drain is always stun damage, unless you overcast. I don't remember drain being physical when Astrally Projecting in previous editions, either, but then again my memory is not what it used to be.

+Quote Post
darthmord
post Oct 13 2009, 12:05 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 11,548

QUOTE (Kerrang @ Oct 12 2009, 10:31 AM) *
Drain is always stun damage, unless you overcast. I don't remember drain being physical when Astrally Projecting in previous editions, either, but then again my memory is not what it used to be.

Spellcasting drain was physical while astrally projecting in 1st & 2nd editions. The fluff description I remember reading strongly implied the drain being filtered through the physical body protected the astral form. But when you are APing, there's no body to filter the drain through. It just goes directly against your astral form. Can we say ouch?

+Quote Post
Zen Shooter01
post Oct 13 2009, 02:06 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,042

I remember sorcerous drain as being physical damage in earlier editions, as well, but when I went looking for the rule in 4th ed., I couldn't find it either.

Which pushes Astral Combat further and further up the list of "Most Useless Skills", by the way.

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Oct 13 2009, 02:27 PM
Post #5

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

Astral Combat is surely useful for defensive purposes, though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
Dahrken
post Oct 13 2009, 04:53 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,693

It worked this way at least in 2nd edition, I don't remember in 3rd (I was playing a sammy then), and apparently this has been removed with 4th.

+Quote Post
Adarael
post Oct 13 2009, 05:17 PM
Post #7

Deus Absconditus

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,566

QUOTE (Zen Shooter01 @ Oct 13 2009, 06:06 AM) *
I remember sorcerous drain as being physical damage in earlier editions, as well, but when I went looking for the rule in 4th ed., I couldn't find it either.

Which pushes Astral Combat further and further up the list of "Most Useless Skills", by the way.

I had a player say the same exact thing, with regards to it being useless. And she steadfastly maintained that opinion until a spirit engaged her in astral combat and she almost died.

I think it's also a damn sight more useful if you have a weapon focus, too.

+Quote Post
Malachi
post Oct 13 2009, 05:54 PM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 12,350

QUOTE (blackheart @ Oct 12 2009, 08:12 AM) *
Thank-you.

Drain doesn't change when in Astral Form: if the spell causes Stun then it still causes Stun. Most of the "special rules" while Astrally Projecting have been removed in 4e.

+Quote Post
blackheart
post Oct 14 2009, 03:58 PM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 17,717

Thank-you everyone for the quick responses. Makes me feel better now that I wasn't just missing the huge "OMG page 21567 says so!" blurb.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2014 - 04:05 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.