Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hacking the Street Samurai
tete
post Oct 18 2009, 06:58 AM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,139

Forgive me for being a 4e noob but where would I find the rules for hacking cyberware from a distance... im sure its only time till my players try it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cthulhudreams
post Oct 18 2009, 07:13 AM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 12,328

Okay, two points

A) Cyberware is just a device, all ratings 2 or 3 so it works like hacking any other node.

B) Everyone will turn wireless off on their cyberware so it is not possible.

+Quote Post
Cthulhudreams
post Oct 18 2009, 07:13 AM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 12,328

<<Bizarre double post>>

+Quote Post
remmus
post Oct 18 2009, 07:20 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,145

hacking cyberware? makes me think the OP been watching Ghost in the shell:Stand alone complex :3

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Oct 18 2009, 07:44 AM
Post #5

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

There are several possible answers, depending on what you want for your game.

A) Cyberware will for some utility reason or another be connected to the commlink of the owner. Hack the commlink (wireless node, possibly hidden), and you get access to the cyberware
AA) by hacking the piece of ware itself (a second node).
AB) directly because there are admin accounts set up for the commlink owner (less dicerolling).

B) You do not want hacked cyberware, and find a networking "solution" that does not connect cyberware to anything that connects to the matrix.

C) You use the number of quality nodes most matrix users have, and run a proper cluster with solid matrix defenses. If you do this, keep to the lower software ratings, unless you are GMing for a technomancer, else it is really answer B.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Oct 18 2009, 08:22 AM
Post #6

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

D) You realize that you just spent 8 hours hacking into a dude's arm, and while funny, it would have been more effective to hack the rigger's drones.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Oct 18 2009, 10:11 AM
Post #7

Awakened Asset

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Oct 18 2009, 10:22 AM) *
D) You realize that you just spent 8 hours hacking into a dude's arm, and while funny, it would have been more effective to hack the rigger's drones.

To be more helpful: Don´t hack cyberware taking the slow approach unless you have a really cool plan. Spoofing orders is great, hacking on the fly is great.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Oct 18 2009, 11:00 AM
Post #8

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

Short: You don't. Hacking Joe Average's cyberware is fair game, but any Street Samurai still alive will have it locked down for good - the ones that didn't are dead.

Anyone with half his sanity intact won't allow his cyberware to accept any orders - it's not a remote device, and got DNI.

And with strong encryption on the node, it will still take you half a day at best to hack in, even on the fly.

That doesn't mean that even if you finally hacked in, you could pull the Sam's control away - it's a perfectly valid and sensible hardware limitation (per Unwired) to have the DNI to have always active admin rights... in adition to the fact that he can always shut down the implant with a free action with DNI (as per Augmentation).

+Quote Post
Kumo
post Oct 18 2009, 03:18 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,594

QUOTE (Cthulhudreams @ Oct 18 2009, 09:13 AM) *

But then they'll lose benefits from smartlink and other devices - if not using skinlink, of course.
To secure own 'ware and other devices:
1) slave all of them to your commlink. Slaving nodes is described in Unwired; it means that slave node slave will not accept any connection from any other node but the master and will instantly forward any connection attempts to the master.
2) operate in hidden mode - it's harder to spot your PAN that way.
3) install a good firewall, or even IC. Use skinlink.
4) if some of your 'ware is hacked, just restart it.
5) turn off everything, what you don't need.
6) don't make your fellow hacker/TM angry (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif) .
7) geek enemy hacker first (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) .

BTW, after you hacked somebody's cyberware, you can:
a) crash its programs - it'll take a while to reboot.
b) control cyberware - you need appropriate program (Control: Cyberware) and test.
3) take a peek into data stored in the implant's node.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Oct 18 2009, 03:37 PM
Post #10

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

QUOTE (Kumo @ Oct 18 2009, 05:18 PM) *
But then they'll lose benefits from smartlink and other devices - if not using skinlink, of course.

No. Cyberware can be internally connected, so only one exit node is needed.
1) slave all of them to your commlink.

No. That means anyone having hacked your commlink automatically can access all your cyberware.

It's better to cluster the implants and daisy-chain them, to make a hacker need to hack each of them successivly... best used with Strong encryption.
control cyberware - you need appropriate program (Control: Cyberware) and test.

The Control Program is not device-specific.

+Quote Post
DWC
post Oct 18 2009, 03:51 PM
Post #11

Shooting Target

Member No.: 13,526

Don't forget the data bombs. Lots and lots of Optimized data bombs, ideally one per node.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Oct 18 2009, 05:33 PM
Post #12

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (DWC @ Oct 18 2009, 09:51 AM) *
Don't forget the data bombs. Lots and lots of Optimized data bombs, ideally one per node.

One per access point actually... if you are not making that perception test to detect the Data Bomb on the access point before entering, and then subsequently disarming it, then you are most likely booted and dumpshocked with a sufficiently strong data bomb...

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Oct 18 2009, 06:49 PM
Post #13

Awakened Asset

As you never had cyberware hacked in your game, I would suggest to have one implant cluster behind the commlink node. No strong encryption, no node mazes. Start out simple. Likewise, databombs should be nasty surprises instead of operational procedure.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Oct 18 2009, 07:29 PM
Post #14

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Ryu @ Oct 18 2009, 12:49 PM) *
As you never had cyberware hacked in your game, I would suggest to have one implant cluster behind the commlink node. No strong encryption, no node mazes. Start out simple. Likewise, databombs should be nasty surprises instead of operational procedure.

Or this...

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Oct 18 2009, 10:00 PM
Post #15

Immortal Elf

Welcome to Why We Don't Hack Cyber. There are more effective things you could be doing.
Like...shooting a frakking gun.

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Oct 18 2009, 10:53 PM
Post #16

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Member No.: 8,361

Naw, the real reason why Deckers don't hack cyber is that most of us realize that whatever dev came up with the idea was smoking crack, I mean seriously, tis so simple to make it virtually impossible while mentaining the same ultity that it's a corner case at best.

+Quote Post
tete
post Oct 19 2009, 12:34 AM
Post #17

Running Target

Member No.: 1,139

QUOTE (remmus @ Oct 18 2009, 07:20 AM) *
hacking cyberware? makes me think the OP been watching Ghost in the shell:Stand alone complex :3

I have and my players have, being a long time 2e/3e player this never really came up and I remembered back when 4e first came out someone posted about "how do I hack cyberware" seeing how I just switched to 4e (trying to give it a fair shake) I know at some point one of my players will try it and I like to be prepared.

+Quote Post
NeoSilver
post Oct 19 2009, 04:17 AM
Post #18

Target

Member No.: 17,760

This is one of those things that always makes me smile. The answer is yes, you can hack cyberware. If you can get a jack into it. There aren't a lot of street samurai stupid enough to put wireless hooks into their cybers. Deckers, particularly (if I'm scanning the setting right) of the 4E variety, would be a liklier target, and even then the skill needed is on the absurd.

For the record, I've seen it pulled off once in my time as a GM, when one player was bound and determined to save his girlfriend's character from an enemy samurai. His decker ended up playing "Monkey-on-your-back" while hacking the limb. He pulled it off, but he had karma to burn.

+Quote Post
Orcus Blackweath...
post Oct 19 2009, 07:14 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,433

I think that the more important question, is what you can do once you have hacked the cyberware.

Some cybereware must be connected to the users commlink (not to mention the internal comm itself). If something is connected it can be hacked. Some things are trivial:

Stealing files located on the cyberware.
Turning on the GPS locator.
Reading data transmitted.
Turning it off.
etc...

Other things are not likely:
Using the cyberarm to strangle it's owner.
blowing up the internal commlink.
etc...

There are multiple obvious ways to secure most cyberware so that hacking is impossible. Some however cannot be so secured. These vulnerable devices are susceptible to a limited number of attacks.

+Quote Post
Kumo
post Oct 19 2009, 10:33 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,594

QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Oct 18 2009, 05:37 PM) *
No. Cyberware can be internally connected, so only one exit node is needed.
(...)
No. That means anyone having hacked your commlink automatically can access all your cyberware.

It's better to cluster the implants and daisy-chain them, to make a hacker need to hack each of them successivly... best used with Strong encryption.
(...)
The Control Program is not device-specific.

Oops... sorry, I was tired
1) I mean external devices like smartlink or drone, of course.
2) It's mora sophisticated way, but yes.
3) Oops... should be "a Control Program and Cybertechnology Skill". Thanks.

QUOTE ('Orcus Blackweather')
Other things are not likely:
Using the cyberarm to strangle it's owner.

This can be a problem for GM (or cybered PCs). I suggest:
1) high treshold (at least 4) for more complicated moves. Strangling IS complicated. Number of hits in this test - limited by a level of hacker's Cybertechnology skill.
2) a common sense. Hacker can't control any of victim's moves if he hacked her Bone Lacing - bones are just a passive part of any move. If a hacked cyberarm doesn't incude shoulder joint, it can't be raised - hacker controls only hand and elbow.

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Oct 19 2009, 12:08 PM
Post #21

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Also something to note is that very few pieces of cyber actually require being connected someone's 'link in order to do their job, not even the aforementioned smartlink, it only has to talk with whatever DNI output the character is using (I'd recomend a dedicated datajack.) and the firearm in question. Hell, it seems to me that most DMs probably would allow a DNI connection through an implanted smartlink itself which cuts out the need for a 'jack.

And even if you aren't using skinlink, a Decker would have to not only find the PAN he wanted but he'd also have to get within three feet of you as well, and if the enemy Decker can get that close without getting geeked, then you've got bigger problems chummer.

One's cyberarm is the same, the only time that it should even be capable of being connected to is when the character is actively updating the software which seems to me to be something that takes almost no time and should never, ever be done in public.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Oct 19 2009, 12:35 PM
Post #22

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Ravor @ Oct 19 2009, 07:08 AM) *
One's cyberarm is the same, the only time that it should even be capable of being connected to is when the character is actively updating the software which seems to me to be something that takes almost no time and should never, ever be done in public.

Isn't the whole point that its connected up to YOUR NERVES?

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Oct 19 2009, 12:40 PM
Post #23

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Hmm? I don't see what point you are trying to make Draco18s, how in the hell is any Decker going to be able to hack a cyberlimb through the DNI interface?

+Quote Post
deek
post Oct 19 2009, 12:54 PM
Post #24

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,814

Another thought, especially if the hacker is just wanting to do this without an exact plan in mind. If successful, the victim gets a -2 penalty while using the cyberware (whatever test that ends up being used in) until they spend a free action to reboot the device. This ends up being a win-win at my table, since the hacker gets to "be cool" hacking something like cybereyes or a cyberarm, but it doesn't make the victim 100% useless. Plus, since its DNI, its easily rebooted, so its not going to last a whole lot of time.

And then I can do the same thing to my players if they keep their wireless on. Once it happens and they turn it off, they completely understand why all their opponents and regular joes on the street have it turned off, too!

+Quote Post
StealthSigma
post Oct 19 2009, 02:03 PM
Post #25

Runner

Member No.: 17,389

QUOTE (Cthulhudreams @ Oct 18 2009, 03:13 AM) *

Hacker Nanites.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:57 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.