Reply to this topicStart new topic
> texting in 2070, simsense question
vollmond
post Oct 20 2009, 04:31 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,377

What is the minimum that would be required for hands-free texting? There would have to be some form of neural interface, correct? Like a datajack, simrig, or implanted commlink?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Oct 20 2009, 04:35 PM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,652

QUOTE (vollmond @ Oct 20 2009, 12:31 PM) *
What is the minimum that would be required for hands-free texting? There would have to be some form of neural interface, correct? Like a datajack, simrig, or implanted commlink?

You would require some form of DNI.

DNI comes from implanted commlinks, datajacks, and trodes (Nano and regular). Sim modules require DNI to operate. I think simrigs count as DNI, but I'm not 100% sure.

Edit: Oh, and you could also set it up to do voice to text I'm sure.

+Quote Post
vollmond
post Oct 20 2009, 04:42 PM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 16,377

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks!

+Quote Post
Shadowfox
post Oct 23 2009, 12:51 PM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 16,629

Edit: Oh, and you could also set it up to do voice to text I'm sure.

Well, I honestly don't see the point because at that point you can simply record your voice in your head. I've always viewed it sort of how in Ghost In The Shell when they talk to each other over the Net' but it's all echo-y to be distinct from noises coming from outside of your head.

+Quote Post
Ascalaphus
post Nov 2 2009, 12:16 PM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 17,814

I'm sure you could also have a small microphone on your throat and a program that translates your whispers to text (if you dont want implants or DNI.) Programs like that would be trivial in the 2070s.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Nov 2 2009, 12:31 PM
Post #6

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

QUOTE (Shadowfox @ Oct 23 2009, 01:51 PM) *
Well, I honestly don't see the point because at that point you can simply record your voice in your head. I've always viewed it sort of how in Ghost In The Shell when they talk to each other over the Net' but it's all echo-y to be distinct from noises coming from outside of your head.

as a personal experience, text is sometimes more practical then voice for getting the message across. Especially if one is giving instructions or codes, unless one can do the whole military radio alphabet thing...

+Quote Post
Traul
post Nov 2 2009, 12:35 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 17,229

I'm not sure texting exists as we know it. The sender can choose any input method. It can be text, DNI, speech,... The receiver can choose any output method: DNI, sound, text,... Since text-to-speech and speech-to-text are mastered, the input and output media do not have to be related anymore.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Nov 2 2009, 12:36 PM
Post #8

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

yep, i kinda recall that shadowtalk, while presented in text in the books, involve full VR personas poping in to make comments, and that was why the older books talked about deleting massive amounts of data after a flame war or similar...

+Quote Post
TBRMInsanity
post Nov 2 2009, 02:46 PM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 8,494

There is a hierarchy of transition of information. This hierarchy is based on how long it takes someone to process the information in their head. Texting is one of the lowest means of transmitting information to someone else and as literacy decreases, so does the effectiveness of texting (you might as well be sending mores code to some people). Voice mail or even better video mail would be the most effective way to send a message to someone else (and the Matrix can handle that amount of bandwidth easily).

+Quote Post
Ascalaphus
post Nov 3 2009, 01:50 AM
Post #10

Runner

Member No.: 17,814

The main advantage of text would be to visualize structure of information, like tables or a list of items. The structure tends to be more obvious when it's visualized.

+Quote Post
Ayeohx
post Nov 3 2009, 01:57 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,402

I believe that some of the new fiction mentions local area chatting through text taking place. I pictured this as a spamming of information to everyone within a certain area (probably definable by the receiver and user). Would be fun for social situations. Kind of like a very local Facebook where everyone is your friend.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:46 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.