IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New to shadowrun and have a few questions...
Vestax
post Oct 23 2009, 06:17 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,786

There will probably be many more questions from me but to begin with.

The adept power Improved Reflexes, it says you get +1 die to reaction test and 1 extra initiative pass. Initiative pass is essentially another turn during each combat round. To me this seems WAY to good to be correct, when maxed you get 4 passes each combat turn. So while other characters could get 1 turn I get 4?! This spell is also always active from what I can tell.

Is there anyway to effectively dual wield katanas? The weapon itself is described as a two handed weapon and an attack with a blade requires a complex action.

Besides boosting magic and being initiated is there any way to get more power points?

Characters can start with any gear that has an availability of 12 or less. It also says a rating of 6, what does that mean?

If you have a smartlink gun with thermographic imaging you can use this during low light or darkness to see normally correct?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rad
post Oct 23 2009, 06:28 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,715

Nobody's posted yet, chummer, but I bet a whole slew of them are poised to tell you to RTFM.

Seriously, 90% of those questions will be answered by pursuing the books, and like the shadow-boards in SR fiction, we dumpshockers tend to be a surly bunch that doesn't hand out information we had learn the hard way. Not for free, anyway.

I will tell you this though: Yes, the Improve Reflexes adept power gives you +1 to reaction and +1 pass each turn. Yes, it is always active. (though it's not technically a spell) And yes, it is awesome. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

+Quote Post
Medicineman
post Oct 23 2009, 08:05 AM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,015

Is there anyway to effectively dual wield katanas?
there are Dual wielding Rules in the Arsenal(From personal experience I would advise 2 Wakizashi,they're easier to handle )

So while other characters could get 1 turn I get 4?!
and he spent most of his Ki-Powers (Not a Spell !!) to be fast like Quicksilver.So what? He'll be lacking in other fields.Ki-Powers,Spells and 'ware are supposed to make the Runner better,Thats what they're there for (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

with a better'n faster Dance
Medicineman

+Quote Post
Dancer
post Oct 23 2009, 08:57 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,659

QUOTE (Vestax @ Oct 23 2009, 06:17 AM) *

The adept power Improved Reflexes, it says you get +1 die to reaction test and 1 extra initiative pass. Initiative pass is essentially another turn during each combat round. To me this seems WAY to good to be correct, when maxed you get 4 passes each combat turn. So while other characters could get 1 turn I get 4?! This spell is also always active from what I can tell.

Some pieces of cyberware and bioware do this too, as well as combat drugs. Increasing your initiative passes by one means or another is more or less compulsory for combat characters, but there are a number of ways.

Note that Increased Reflexes 3 costs a lot of power points. It's a big advantage, but it'll be your only real schtick.

Is there anyway to effectively dual wield katanas? The weapon itself is described as a two handed weapon and an attack with a blade requires a complex action.

Get smaller katanas?

Besides boosting magic and being initiated is there any way to get more power points?

No.

Characters can start with any gear that has an availability of 12 or less. It also says a rating of 6, what does that mean?

Look in the Equipment chapter. It indicates the quality of various pieces of miscellaneous gear (a little first-aid kit would be a Rating 1 medkit, a paramedic's bag would be a Rating 5 medkit).

If you have a smartlink gun with thermographic imaging you can use this during low light or darkness to see normally correct?

Yes, but only if you're wearing (or have implanted) a smartlink unit, and are pointing your gun at whatever you wish to see. It would probably be wise to get Thermographic Vision in a set of contact lenses, they don't cost much.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Oct 24 2009, 02:20 AM
Post #5

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Vestax @ Oct 23 2009, 12:17 AM) *

There is an optional rule that an Adept can purchase a Power Point for 15 Karma Points... you can never have more levels of a single power (for those that have levels, like Cloak, Iron Will, Mystic Armor, Spell Resistance, or Analytics, etc) than your Magic Rating however...

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post
Cardul
post Oct 24 2009, 09:08 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,006

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Oct 23 2009, 09:20 PM) *
There is an optional rule that an Adept can purchase a Power Point for 15 Karma Points... you can never have more levels of a single power (for those that have levels, like Cloak, Iron Will, Mystic Armor, Spell Resistance, or Analytics, etc) than your Magic Rating however...

Keep the Faith

That carried over into SR4 and SR4A? I thought it died its death with the death of SR3?

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Oct 24 2009, 09:25 AM
Post #7

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

Wasn't that in SR4 pre-Shadow Magic (because there was no way to advance for Adepts in the base game, otherwise)?

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Oct 24 2009, 09:27 AM
Post #8

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

QUOTE (Vestax @ Oct 23 2009, 08:17 AM) *

People with just 1 initiative pass are not supposed to be in combat, really. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

The average (for actual combat characters) whould be about 3. 2 is low, 4 is high. 1 is suicide.

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Oct 24 2009, 10:14 AM
Post #9

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

QUOTE (Thanee @ Oct 24 2009, 11:25 AM) *
Wasn't that in SR4 pre-Shadow Magic (because there was no way to advance for Adepts in the base game, otherwise)?

it showed up in SR3 because SR3 did not have initiation rules in the main book.

with SR4 there is no need as the initiation rules are right there, along with buying up magic rating as one initiate.

+Quote Post
Stingray
post Oct 24 2009, 11:30 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,002

QUOTE (Medicineman @ Oct 23 2009, 11:05 AM) *
Is there anyway to effectively dual wield katanas?
there are Dual wielding Rules in the Arsenal(From personal experience I would advise 2 Wakizashi,they're easier to handle )

and he spent most of his Ki-Powers (Not a Spell !!) to be fast like Quicksilver.So what? He'll be lacking in other fields.Ki-Powers,Spells and 'ware are supposed to make the Runner better,Thats what they're there for (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

with a better'n faster Dance
Medicineman

Katana is one handed bladed weapon (reach is less than 2),(Arsenal p 161 Using one handed melee weapons)
"Character can use to use a one-handed melee weapon (reach 0 or 1) "... and Katana have reach of 1,
and so it is one-handed weapon..just take Ambidexterity quality and you would be fine..

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Oct 24 2009, 03:27 PM
Post #11

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Oct 24 2009, 03:14 AM) *
it showed up in SR3 because SR3 did not have initiation rules in the main book.

with SR4 there is no need as the initiation rules are right there, along with buying up magic rating as one initiate.

My Mistake... It MUST have been SR3 that I am remembering, because I cannot find it in the SR4 Books... COuld have sworn that it was there though... Must be going a little bit crazy...

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Oct 24 2009, 03:36 PM
Post #12

panda!

heh, i wonder how many little gotchas i have bumped into after AR4 came out.

i keep having to go back and check my assumptions, basically...

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Oct 24 2009, 03:42 PM
Post #13

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Oct 24 2009, 08:36 AM) *
heh, i wonder how many little gotchas i have bumped into after AR4 came out.

i keep having to go back and check my assumptions, basically...

Goes to show that I should not tout an optional rule without consulting the books...

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post
Dr Funfrock
post Oct 24 2009, 04:00 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,618

QUOTE (Rad @ Oct 23 2009, 02:28 AM) *
I will tell you this though: Yes, the Improve Reflexes adept power gives you +1 to reaction and +1 pass each turn. Yes, it is always active. (though it's not technically a spell) And yes, it is awesome. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

Wait 'til he gets to Move-By-Wire. That'll really blow his mind (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

QUOTE (Stingray @ Oct 24 2009, 07:30 AM) *
Katana is one handed bladed weapon (reach is less than 2),(Arsenal p 161 Using one handed melee weapons)
"Character can use to use a one-handed melee weapon (reach 0 or 1) "... and Katana have reach of 1,
and so it is one-handed weapon..just take Ambidexterity quality and you would be fine..

No, it's two handed. You're thinking of a Wakizashi.

Also, re: adepts and power points, whilst you can't buy a power point for 15 Karma anymore, there is an optional rule in Street Magic allowing adepts to take a power point in place of a metamagic technique when initiating.

+Quote Post
Dr Funfrock
post Oct 24 2009, 04:02 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,618

((ignore me, I'm just a double post))

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Oct 24 2009, 04:07 PM
Post #16

panda!

arsenal basically say that anything with a reach of 2+, polearms, or anything the GM say is two handed, is.

anything reach 1 or 0 is one handed, but can be wielded with two hands for extra damage.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Oct 24 2009, 04:10 PM
Post #17

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Dr Funfrock @ Oct 24 2009, 09:00 AM) *
Wait 'til he gets to Move-By-Wire. That'll really blow his mind (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Also, re: adepts and power points, whilst you can't buy a power point for 15 Karma anymore, there is an optional rule in Street Magic allowing adepts to take a power point in place of a metamagic technique when initiating.

Maybe that is what I remember... Thanks Dr. FunFrock

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post
Medicineman
post Oct 24 2009, 04:54 PM
Post #18

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,015

QUOTE (Dr Funfrock @ Oct 24 2009, 12:00 PM) *

The Katana is by Raw a Weapon that can be wielded either1-Handed or 2-Handed. By RAW you can
use 2 Katanas Akimbo (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
But personally i Think using 2 Katanas has no/less Style. Either a Daisho ,2 Wakizashis or 2 Ninjato

with a more stylish Dance
Medicineman

+Quote Post
Rad
post Oct 24 2009, 05:58 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,715

QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Oct 24 2009, 08:07 AM) *
arsenal basically say that anything with a reach of 2+, polearms, or anything the GM say is two handed, is.

anything reach 1 or 0 is one handed, but can be wielded with two hands for extra damage.

Really? When did this happen?! Can you give a page number?

If that's true, I may have to revisit a few of my builds... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

The trick I always used was just to dual wield monoswords and say they *looked* like katanas, since monofilament swords are one-handed but otherwise have the same damage code. (Yay for cheap knockoffs--with monowire edging, right?)

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Oct 25 2009, 12:35 AM
Post #20

panda!

arsenal p161

+Quote Post
Vestax
post Oct 25 2009, 05:03 PM
Post #21

Target

Thank you for all of the help.

You are correct, the move by wire is insane! It's the augmentation of Improved Reflexes but twice as good for the same essence cost. Though it's availability is through the roof so finding a maxed setup of this would be difficult.

The two weapon fighting seems flat out worse then two pistols. With the pistols you can use a simple action to split your dice and use another simple to do it again. With the melee the best you can do is spend a complex to split your dice pool. From a mechanics point of view the pistols are obviously better but I guess it makes sense, who brings a sword to a gun fight?

I was looking over the shapeshifting from runner's companion p. 86. Their regeneration / sapience powers are the same as the spells in the SR4 corebook correct? From what I see their enchanced senses other then low light are up to GM to determine what effects it has?

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Oct 25 2009, 05:15 PM
Post #22

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Vestax @ Oct 25 2009, 11:03 AM) *
Thank you for all of the help.

The two weapon fighting seems flat out worse then two pistols. With the pistols you can use a simple action to split your dice and use another simple to do it again. With the melee the best you can do is spend a complex to split your dice pool. From a mechanics point of view the pistols are obviously better but I guess it makes sense, who brings a sword to a gun fight?

However, Most dual wielded firearms cannot get you into the realm of 14DV+ Damage per attack before net hits either... Melee can do that with room to spare...

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post
Vestax
post Oct 25 2009, 06:31 PM
Post #23

Target

How is that even possible? Katana for example which is a decent DV melee weapon is STR / 2 + 3 so u would need 22 strength to hit those damage values. From what I saw all modifications are for ranged weapon too so that isnt a factor unless I missed somthing.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Oct 25 2009, 07:09 PM
Post #24

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Vestax @ Oct 25 2009, 12:31 PM) *
How is that even possible? Katana for example which is a decent DV melee weapon is STR / 2 + 3 so u would need 22 strength to hit those damage values. From what I saw all modifications are for ranged weapon too so that isnt a factor unless I missed somthing.

Well, for Unarmed Combat, A Physad can boost soem Farily unrealistic damage adds via adept powers... Martial Arts can also provide bonuses to Unarmed/Bladed Damage Values... High strength is only one way to boost damage... there are several characters posted on Dumpshock that have DV values for Bladed/Unarmed Attacks that exced 15 DV...

None of my characters get there, but Just Sayin...

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post
Axl
post Oct 25 2009, 07:17 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,767

"The average (for actual combat characters) whould be about 3. 2 is low, 4 is high. 1 is suicide." - Thanee

I agree. In the rulebook, it's ridiculous that the example shadowrunners don't have extra initiative passes.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:21 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.