> A few question, Vision enhancement, smartgun and armor upgrades
Saito
post Oct 24 2009, 07:48 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,782

Hi I have a couple of question.

When adding vision enhancement can you then add optical magnification to glasses and also add vision enhancement (which I presume is electronic)? Or would I need different sets of glasses? I am playing a mage and would like to be able to use the optical magnification to cast spells. But I don't think it is very clear what glasses, goggles etc. can have optical enhancement and if these can be combined with electronic ones.

When using a smartgun system, what do you exactly need to benefit from the removal of clips, firing the gun with a mental command? Do you need to be plugged into the gun? I understand you need to have a visual link to benefit from the +2 dice to shooting. But what else do you need?

And lastly how many armor enhancement can be added to one lined coat? Is there some maximum limit?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stingray
post Oct 24 2009, 08:21 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,002

QUOTE (Saito @ Oct 24 2009, 10:48 PM) *
Hi I have a couple of question.

When adding vision enhancement can you then add optical magnification to glasses and also add vision enhancement (which I presume is electronic)? Or would I need different sets of glasses? I am playing a mage and would like to be able to use the optical magnification to cast spells. But I don't think it is very clear what glasses, goggles etc. can have optical enhancement and if these can be combined with electronic ones.

When using a smartgun system, what do you exactly need to benefit from the removal of clips, firing the gun with a mental command? Do you need to be plugged into the gun? I understand you need to have a visual link to benefit from the +2 dice to shooting. But what else do you need?

And lastly how many armor enhancement can be added to one lined coat? Is there some maximum limit?

as for armor enchancement: lined coat have 6 ballistic/4 impact, so by the rules from Arsenal, 1,5 x 6
(highest rating of those two) =9, now you can add armor enchancement worth of 9 points,
remembering also the rule: maximum rating of any single enchacement is 6,
for example: Lined Coat w/ rating 3 Chemical Protection, rating 3 Fire Resistance and Rating 3 Nonconductivity
= all 9 points used, depending your GM stacking armor w/ Form Fitting Body Armor, you
can add those enchantments to it, and stacking enchacement to maximum of rating 6.
Do not forget to enchacemnent the helmet, those stack enchachement with armor..

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Oct 24 2009, 10:12 PM
Post #3

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Member No.: 8,361

Well according to common sense you'd need some sort of DNI connection to your firearm, some examples might be.

Implanted Smartlink >>> Firearm

With this setup you can probaly do everything but have the downside of being wireless, I know that I wouldn't allow you to use skinlink in this case.

Implanted Smartlink >>> Datajack >>> Firearm

Once again you can do anything you want, and most DMs shouldn't ahve a problem with you using skinlinks on your 'jack and gun.

Smartlinked Glasses >>> Datajack >>> Firearm

Same as above really, but don't lose your glasses.

Smartlinked Glasses >>> Trodenet >>> Firearm

Yeah, lets you do everything, but if your DM is smart he'll hassle you for the fact that everything is equipment based, this system should be fair game for any Glitch.

Smartlinked Glasses >>> Firearm

This just lets you see how many bullets you have left and where you are aiming, but your gun has no way to know what you are thinking.

*EDIT*

Also according to the fluff, you really should add a sim module to all of the setups that don't use a datajack, but even the devs ignore that little naunce of the setting they reworked.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Oct 25 2009, 12:09 AM
Post #4

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Ravor @ Oct 24 2009, 03:12 PM) *
Well according to common sense you'd need some sort of DNI connection to your firearm, some examples might be.

Implanted Smartlink >>> Firearm

With this setup you can probaly do everything but have the downside of being wireless, I know that I wouldn't allow you to use skinlink in this case.

Out of curiousity, Why not... this is the best example of where a skinlink would be the optimal solution... aside from unhackable communications that is (via Touching of course)...

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post
Saito
post Oct 25 2009, 01:58 AM
Post #5

Target

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Oct 25 2009, 02:09 AM) *
Out of curiousity, Why not... this is the best example of where a skinlink would be the optimal solution... aside from unhackable communications that is (via Touching of course)...

Keep the Faith

Would this still require the implanted smartlink?

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Oct 25 2009, 03:13 AM
Post #6

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Saito @ Oct 24 2009, 06:58 PM) *
Would this still require the implanted smartlink?

No, skinlink would also work with glasses enhanced Smartlink and smartlinked weapon... or any number of other variations where the communications network would be established through the electrical field of the body...

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Oct 25 2009, 07:38 AM
Post #7

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Although in the past I'd tend to agree with you I've grown away from the idea that you can skinlink any piece of cyber, 'jacks and internal commlinks I don't have a problem with but things like eyes and ears I'm not so sure about...

+Quote Post
Saito
post Oct 25 2009, 09:32 AM
Post #8

Target

QUOTE (Saito @ Oct 24 2009, 08:48 PM) *

I guess you cannot add optical vision enhancement to other things than the binocular that specifically states that you can buy one with optical magnification. This seems like the right answer, even though it doesn't say that you cannot add this enhancement to goggles or glasses?

Anyone wants to agree or disagree?

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Oct 25 2009, 02:47 PM
Post #9

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Ravor @ Oct 25 2009, 01:38 AM) *
Although in the past I'd tend to agree with you I've grown away from the idea that you can skinlink any piece of cyber, 'jacks and internal commlinks I don't have a problem with but things like eyes and ears I'm not so sure about...

It is very cyberpunk to do so, however, though DNI is awesome for the Win if you can pull it off... but not all pieces of electronics can be DNI without a significant amount of effort...

and you don't need Skinlink for internal cyberware to link them up at all, that Internal COmlink and Datajack are already liknked up by DNI, so skinlink is somewhat redundant there... same with almost any other internal cyberware... where skinlink comes in handy is for connecting external electronics that do not tend to ever leave proximity to your personal electrical field... Personal RFID Sensors, external comlinks, galsses/goggles/hearing devices that are not cybernetic, etc.

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post
EvilP
post Oct 25 2009, 08:46 PM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 10,024

You wouldn't need any smartlinked glasses or cybereyes if you have a datajack and a sim module right? The smartlink system should be able to create the smartlink AR environment using pure DNI. Would the sim module even be needed?

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Oct 26 2009, 12:27 AM
Post #11

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (EvilP @ Oct 25 2009, 02:46 PM) *
You wouldn't need any smartlinked glasses or cybereyes if you have a datajack and a sim module right? The smartlink system should be able to create the smartlink AR environment using pure DNI. Would the sim module even be needed?

True, A smartlink does not require a Sim Module, but you still need an Image Link of some sort for the visual feed...

Glasses, goggles, cybereyes or Retinal Mods work well for this...

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Oct 26 2009, 03:23 AM
Post #12

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Tymeaus Jalynsfein, all I can really say is ... "Huh wha'cha talking about?"

The only thing that I said was that I don't think you can slap a skinlink on just any piece of cyber so without a datajack, internal commlink or some other cyber that could be skinlinked you'd have to use wireless instead.

Sure you'd have DNI to your implanted smartlink, but then you'd have to use wireless to talk to your gun without a 'jack.

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Oct 26 2009, 03:27 AM
Post #13

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,665

QUOTE (EvilP @ Oct 25 2009, 04:46 PM) *

I would think that you need something to help run the ballistics calculations... unless you say the gun does those on its own.

That said, since Technomancers have to make a program complex form to run a smartgun, then I would think that you need a Commlink with a smartgun "emulator" program running on it. It would count as a rating 1 program.

+Quote Post
EvilP
post Oct 26 2009, 07:47 AM
Post #14

Target

Member No.: 10,024

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Oct 25 2009, 07:27 PM) *
True, A smartlink does not require a Sim Module, but you still need an Image Link of some sort for the visual feed...

Glasses, goggles, cybereyes or Retinal Mods work well for this...

Keep the Faith

True, I suppose you might need the visual input from the eyes/goggles for the smartlink to work. Maybe a simrig would let you use your bare unreplaced eyes for an image link?

+Quote Post
PatB
post Oct 26 2009, 01:45 PM
Post #15

Target

Member No.: 16,949

QUOTE (Saito @ Oct 25 2009, 05:32 AM) *
I guess you cannot add optical vision enhancement to other things than the binocular that specifically states that you can buy one with optical magnification. This seems like the right answer, even though it doesn't say that you cannot add this enhancement to goggles or glasses?

Anyone wants to agree or disagree?

I thought that a non-burned mage wasn't allowed to use ANY vision enhancements gears (including smartlink) because they are electronic-based. So using goggles/glasses enhanced with smartlink would prevent the mage from casting. However, nothing prevents you from using vision sensors and imaging devices gears.

If I'm wrong, please DO correct me.

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Oct 26 2009, 04:43 PM
Post #16

Cybernetic Blood Mage

In order to cast spell you have to be able to see the target with either your natural eyes, optical devices, or cyberware.

So it boils down to whether or not your DM rules that the AR overlay blocks magical LOS and really, good arguments can be made for each position.

+Quote Post
Trench
post Oct 26 2009, 07:28 PM
Post #17

Target

Member No.: 17,754

In RAW, its possible to smartlink a scope on a skinlinked, smartlinked weapon, and have a one piece smartgun.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Oct 27 2009, 12:23 AM
Post #18

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Ravor @ Oct 25 2009, 08:23 PM) *
Tymeaus Jalynsfein, all I can really say is ... "Huh wha'cha talking about?"

The only thing that I said was that I don't think you can slap a skinlink on just any piece of cyber so without a datajack, internal commlink or some other cyber that could be skinlinked you'd have to use wireless instead.

Sure you'd have DNI to your implanted smartlink, but then you'd have to use wireless to talk to your gun without a 'jack.

The point is, you shut your wireless down and use the skinlink, which routes a signal along your body's electrical field, so anything within the effect of that electrical Field will continue to remain in comunication, including your smartlinked firearm that youare holding in your hands...

Different styles for different folk, I know... but that is how I do it in my games...

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Oct 27 2009, 12:25 AM
Post #19

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (EvilP @ Oct 26 2009, 12:47 AM) *
True, I suppose you might need the visual input from the eyes/goggles for the smartlink to work. Maybe a simrig would let you use your bare unreplaced eyes for an image link?

Still got to have an image link, either retinal modification or actual cyber eye, or glasses/goggles with the image link option connected to the PAN, a SIm Rig does not provide such an interface...

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Oct 27 2009, 03:49 AM
Post #20

Cybernetic Blood Mage

I think we are talking at cross points from each other, I'm a believer of using skinlink and I think that the only place where we may disagree is which pieces of cyber can have skinlink installed.

In other words...

Implanted Smartlink >>>DNI/Internal Hardwire>>> Datajack >>>Skinlink>>> Firearm

Is what I'd require if you wanted to be able to use skinlink, since I personally wouldn't allow skinlink to be installed on eyeware in the first place, which is just my personal preference.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Oct 28 2009, 01:09 AM
Post #21

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Ravor @ Oct 26 2009, 09:49 PM) *
I think we are talking at cross points from each other, I'm a believer of using skinlink and I think that the only place where we may disagree is which pieces of cyber can have skinlink installed.

In other words...

Implanted Smartlink >>>DNI/Internal Hardwire>>> Datajack >>>Skinlink>>> Firearm

Is what I'd require if you wanted to be able to use skinlink, since I personally wouldn't allow skinlink to be installed on eyeware in the first place, which is just my personal preference.

That Works...

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 08:57 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.