IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Quickening/Tattooing, It's like Wired Reflexes. On your skin!
Dissonance
post Jan 31 2004, 09:29 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,992

So. I've got a shaman, and it's getting to that time where I need to start thinking about initiation. And upon study of Tattooing metamagic, I decided that not only could this be useful as hell, it'd also be a good way to get some cash, too.

But here's the question.

Is tattooing a separate metamagic technique from quickening?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Jan 31 2004, 10:05 AM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

Yes - both techniques can be found in the Magic in the Shadows book. Keep in mind that putting a quickened spell on someone else is going to show your astral signature to anyone who assenses them. Also remember that unless you have masking, wards will be real trouble. You can't turn quickened spells "off", so wards will stop you - even if you bring them down, you are still alerting the mage who created the ward.

+Quote Post
Sphynx
post Jan 31 2004, 02:33 PM
Post #3

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 3,437

Warning though, the rules for tattooing are very vague... Ideally, it would appear that the meta technique is not really intended for self-usage, but rather on 'others'. Tattooing yourself can be quite difficult.... The rules kinda imply that you have to do it all, get the components (can't buy them... ??? ), do the tattooing, cast the spell, and quicken it all at the same time. Needless to say, this has led to some House Ruling in our group. We allow you to buy the materials, and even have someone else do the tattooing, you just cast and sustain the spell throughout the tattooing process. Something to think about as you approach that decision making process.

Sphynx

+Quote Post
Munchkinslayer
post Jan 31 2004, 03:14 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,702

Hey Glyph, I though that quickening was just like a spell sustaining focus (without the focus). I also thought that you could "power-down" the focus, and therefor quickening, thus solving the ward problem.

Personally, I like the old grounding rules. :evil:

+Quote Post
BlackSmith
post Jan 31 2004, 05:46 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,101

well you can always (try) to alter your astral signature. (IMO it should be bit da easier)
until the trouble comes trough the door or you keep it public, you can make quite nice chunk of money with tattooing.

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Jan 31 2004, 05:53 PM
Post #6

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

Yeah, tatooing yourself could be a bit problematic... Also, it's a very rare metamagical skill, you'll have to spend quite a bit of time looking for someone who can teach it to you (remember, metamagic isn't spontanously learned, it's taught)

+Quote Post
Deep Blue
post Jan 31 2004, 06:41 PM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 465

Can't you go on an astral quest to learn a metamagic at the Citadel?

+Quote Post
moosegod
post Jan 31 2004, 06:44 PM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 5,818

Yep.

Or learn it from someone in your magical group.

+Quote Post
Moonstone Spider
post Jan 31 2004, 07:10 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,834

Improve Reflexes 3 has always been the best spell to use on yourself for quickening purposes. Nearly as good as wired reflexes (IIRC it doesn't give you bonus reaction) and due to the stupid way the reflex-boosting spells were created in canon, you only need force 1 and 1 success to do it since more successes and more force don't add anything to those spells. And that also means it only requires 1 karma to quicken it, although more will certainly help against wards and dispelling.

+Quote Post
Sphynx
post Jan 31 2004, 07:52 PM
Post #10

Neophyte Runner

Actually, Improved Willpower is the best spell to Quicken on yourself. :P Especially if you've got a karma pool of 3+ (rerolls) and can get about (MagicRating*2) force points in expendable foci to help you cast it. ;)

Sphynx

+Quote Post
Moonstone Spider
post Jan 31 2004, 08:22 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,834

Hmm, yeah that does have advantages but I still think the speed wins out (3 complex actions a CT), particularly with it's tiny karma cost.

+Quote Post
Abstruse
post Jan 31 2004, 08:55 PM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 4,488

I missed grounding too, so I put it back in :P

As far as mundane tattoos go, you can tattoo yourself easily, esp. if you've gotten several done before (as any good tattoo artist will have). I once knew a tattoo artist who got bored one day, hooked up the tattoo gun, and just started freestyling on his thigh. Ended up with this amazing-looking Celtic-meets-Tribal design. Might be a bit harder if you're trying to concentrate on a spell and quickening it too though, but if you're comfortable enough with your skill and equipment, I can't see it being TOO hard...

The Abstruse One

+Quote Post
darloth
post Jan 31 2004, 09:20 PM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 4,912

Force one makes it very easy to dispel though, even if you do add extra karma.

And realistically, the first thing an enemy mage seeing a quicked improved reflexes spell will do is attempt to dispel it, if its that easy. (Although they might have trouble with the drain)

+Quote Post
Sphynx
post Jan 31 2004, 09:41 PM
Post #14

Neophyte Runner

Force 1? Who would do that? Force 3 with 6 karma spent on it makes it the equivalent of a Force 12 to dispel. I don't know too many initiates who can dispel a Force 12 Deadly Drain without taking some deadly physical drain.

Sphynx

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Jan 31 2004, 09:43 PM
Post #15

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

Sphynx, just give them the link to all the old arguments, please.

FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III FAB-III

+Quote Post
Sphynx
post Jan 31 2004, 10:53 PM
Post #16

Neophyte Runner

Don't know them. :P

Force 1 Sterilize Force 1 Sterilize Force 1 Sterilize Force 1 Sterilize Force 1 Sterilize Force 1 Sterilize Force 1 Sterilize Force 1 Sterilize Force 1 Sterilize Force 1 Sterilize Force 1 Sterilize Force 1 Sterilize Force 1 Sterilize Force 1 Sterilize Force 1 Sterilize Force 1 Sterilize Force 1 Sterilize Force 1 Sterilize Force 1 Sterilize Force 1 Sterilize Force 1 Sterilize Force 1 Sterilize Force 1 Sterilize Force 1 Sterilize Force 1 Sterilize Force 1 Sterilize Force 1 Sterilize Force 1 Sterilize Force 1 Sterilize Force 1 Sterilize Force 1 Sterilize

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Jan 31 2004, 10:57 PM
Post #17

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

Don't you?

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Feb 1 2004, 01:36 AM
Post #18

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

QUOTE (Munchkinslayer)
Hey Glyph, I though that quickening was just like a spell sustaining focus (without the focus). I also thought that you could "power-down" the focus, and therefor quickening, thus solving the ward problem.

Nope. That's their big disadvantage compared to sustaining foci. Masking is really your best bet, since it can mask the presense of sustained spells, as well as getting you past wards.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:08 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.