Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Augmented Reality IRL, Or, 'Why my players are often idiots.'
Adarael
post Oct 27 2009, 07:40 PM
Post #1

Deus Absconditus

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,566

So, I love the concept of AR and its' integration into SR4. The die pool bonuses are great, and there's very few technical situations where players shouldn't have a bonus. There's only two problems:

1) My players are often idiots, and don't use AR when doing things like, say, fixing an engine. Or setting explosives. Or disabling a maglock. Which are all prime examples of where they should get an AR bonus.

2) My players, when I have told them this, say, "Well, how on earth would AR help with this?" They seem perpetually stuck in the mode of "AR=FPS video game hud, plus Dead Space style path tracking."

If you've ever had this problem, show them this:
Augmented Reality Goggles Give Real-Life +50% Speed Boost to Marine Mechanics
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Xahn Borealis
post Oct 27 2009, 07:50 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,007

How do you mean don't use it? Do they specifically say they're turning off their Image Links? Just give them the DP bonus. Tell them about tacnets from Unwired too.

+Quote Post
Adarael
post Oct 27 2009, 07:53 PM
Post #3

Deus Absconditus

Member No.: 5,566

I ask every couple of rolls, "Are you using AR?" And they're like, "Nah, that'll just slow me down." And then I go, "Do we live on the same planet?" And I'm sure most of them aren't adding the bonus most of the time, because I've made it clear the bonus varies situationally.

Tacnets, though... yeah, they use those. Perpetually. Which is good, cuz I wouldn't have let them get the software if I didn't want them to have it.

+Quote Post
Marwynn
post Oct 27 2009, 09:08 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 12,093

That's just... odd.

Tell them to turn off their video game HUD once in a while. Then have them do something complex in a game. If they don't want the bonus then fine, their loss. Just make it clear that they're the ones with a mistaken preconception.

+Quote Post
tagz
post Oct 27 2009, 10:14 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,440

I know what you mean Adarael. My players are similar if not even worse... They too don't know about AR assistance even after telling them a few times and then they have another problem. They fear hacking to the extent that they have everything slaved to the comm and NEVER go out of hidden mode, except to turn them off entirely.

Just about every mission there has been all sorts of clues just waiting for them in open AR just waiting for them. Things like "Delivery please use rear entrance." (letting them know there is a back door), maps of public buildings, "Notice: Now entering Aztech Extraterritorial Territory.", etc, etc...

I know it's a good idea to run hidden most of the time on a mission, but when you're not on a mission, or doing recon in a public or not terribly restricted area... man... go passive every once and a while.

+Quote Post
Brazilian_Shinob...
post Oct 27 2009, 11:49 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Member No.: 17,437

QUOTE (tagz @ Oct 27 2009, 07:14 PM) *
I know what you mean Adarael. My players are similar if not even worse... They too don't know about AR assistance even after telling them a few times and then they have another problem. They fear hacking to the extent that they have everything slaved to the comm and NEVER go out of hidden mode, except to turn them off entirely.

Just about every mission there has been all sorts of clues just waiting for them in open AR just waiting for them. Things like "Delivery please use rear entrance." (letting them know there is a back door), maps of public buildings, "Notice: Now entering Aztech Extraterritorial Territory.", etc, etc...

I know it's a good idea to run hidden most of the time on a mission, but when you're not on a mission, or doing recon in a public or not terribly restricted area... man... go passive every once and a while.

Some public ares forbid hidden nodes altogether. Most of the time, you are asked to turn the hidden mode off or leave the area, sometimes you are shot at before being removed from the area. So, unless they take the pains to remain unseen all the time, a commlink should be turned on visible mode. They should do as anybody else I know, get a crap commlink with nothing useful inside (except your fake id and some few nuyens) enslaved to your real one on hidden mode.

+Quote Post
Ayeohx
post Oct 28 2009, 12:22 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,402

QUOTE (Adarael @ Oct 27 2009, 12:40 PM) *
So, I love the concept of AR and its' integration into SR4. The die pool bonuses are great, and there's very few technical situations where players shouldn't have a bonus. There's only two problems:

1) My players are often idiots, and don't use AR when doing things like, say, fixing an engine. Or setting explosives. Or disabling a maglock. Which are all prime examples of where they should get an AR bonus.

2) My players, when I have told them this, say, "Well, how on earth would AR help with this?" They seem perpetually stuck in the mode of "AR=FPS video game hud, plus Dead Space style path tracking."

If you've ever had this problem, show them this:
Augmented Reality Goggles Give Real-Life +50% Speed Boost to Marine Mechanics

I say screw it. You mentioned it, don't let it frustrate you, and don't listen to their whining when they say it's too hard and you're a bad GM. You've already gave them the "LERN 2 PLAY NEWBS" speech. Just make a game that accomodates the weaknesses of your games. Take that anger and push it deep down. Or you can keep killing them off because they won't read the freakin books. Your call. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Remember, the GM lives the game world more than the players. They're ready to be entertained - you're the one that MUST think about the finer details. Unfortunately as a Shadowrun GM you have to give them a lot of leeway. There's way too much technology to keep up on. You can keep bugging them about their commlinks being in hidden, passive of active mode, which IDs they are using, which pieces of cyberware are broadcasting wireless, and so on or you can just assume that they are professions that know how to take care of the standard runner affairs. Or you can expect the players to care as much about the badass story that you're writing as you do. But I wouldn't expect it.

+Quote Post
Deathmaster35
post Oct 30 2009, 02:23 AM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 17,556

QUOTE (Adarael @ Oct 27 2009, 02:40 PM) *

I appear to have missed something completly in the book, where does it say AR gives you dice pool bonuses?

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Oct 30 2009, 02:43 AM
Post #9

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Deathmaster35 @ Oct 29 2009, 08:23 PM) *
I appear to have missed something completly in the book, where does it say AR gives you dice pool bonuses?

When Yousing a tactical network, it is an AR Interface afterall, you get bonuses based upon the Amount of Data Feeds that you possess (must have at least 2xRating Sensor Channels to be counted as a member of the network)... if you satisfy the requirements you can obtain a bonus of (Team Members - 2) and apply it to several different tests... Maximum rating of a Tactical Network is 4 (what can be purchased anyway, maybe other, higher levels, exist, but would definitely be Milspec or bleeding edge), which would require at least a team of 6 (with 8 Sensor channels each) to benefit from the maxiumum bonus provided by the network...

Tactical Networks are found in Unwired, Pages 125-126...

Prior to Tactical Networks, you could be awarded an AR bonus (generally from +1 up to +3) to tests that would benefit from an AR Data Feed... Page 208 (Sidebar, SR4 BBB) and was unable to locate the relevant Sidebar in SR4A...

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post
DuctShuiTengu
post Oct 30 2009, 11:00 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,162

QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Oct 28 2009, 12:49 AM) *
Some public ares forbid hidden nodes altogether. Most of the time, you are asked to turn the hidden mode off or leave the area, sometimes you are shot at before being removed from the area. So, unless they take the pains to remain unseen all the time, a commlink should be turned on visible mode. They should do as anybody else I know, get a crap commlink with nothing useful inside (except your fake id and some few nuyens) enslaved to your real one on hidden mode.

Slaving the public commlink to your real one is counterproductive. Someone trying to hack the public commlink (depending upon rules reading, trying to access it at all), then needs to go through your real commlink to get to it. Which means that the public commlink then helps to draw attention to your hidden one. Instead, leave the public commlink open. Give it no connection to your real PAN, throw a half-assed security suite into it so that it doesn't look too suspicious, and fill it with information that you want people getting - because it will be getting hacked, and that's part of the point.

+Quote Post
Heath Robinson
post Oct 30 2009, 11:43 AM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 15,736

QUOTE (Deathmaster35 @ Oct 30 2009, 02:23 AM) *

QUOTE (Page 225 @ BBB Anniversary Reprint)
Depending on the situation, AR can be a bonus or a detriment. In most cases, AR will be beneficial simply by providing useful information. If it directly aids a task you are undertaking, such as overlaying internal schematics, help features, and real-time diagnostics while repairing an item, then the gamemaster can apply an appropriate dice pool modifier (usually +1 but possibly as high as +3) to the test.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:52 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.