> Cyberwings
Chrysalis
post Oct 29 2009, 11:16 PM
Post #1

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,048

Greets,

I was recently thinking about cyberwings. Are there any suggestions on this. Obviously there are going to be cyberwings that may allow you to glide, but I am more interested in wings that are purely cosmetic and maybe a bit bulletproof.

How much humanity loss should be? What about armor? Maybe 2/2 on top of what the character has normally when the wings are wrapped cocoon like.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ayeohx
post Oct 29 2009, 11:24 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,402

QUOTE (Chrysalis @ Oct 29 2009, 05:16 PM) *
Greets,

I was recently thinking about cyberwings. Are there any suggestions on this. Obviously there are going to be cyberwings that may allow you to glide, but I am more interested in wings that are purely cosmetic and maybe a bit bulletproof.

How much humanity loss should be? What about armor? Maybe 2/2 on top of what the character has normally when the wings are wrapped cocoon like.

I don't think that they would be a good idea. Hard to sit in a car, ya know? And trying to ride a motorcycle about 30mph would result in either becoming airborne, a wreck or having your wings rip out.

Not only that a runner with wings big enough to cocoon themselves would be too obvious. Probably wouldn't get a lot of work (Johnsons don't like easily recognizable runners unless he's going to doublecross them anyways).

If you need them for an NPC I'd just count them as extra limbs. They still got those in 4th edition, don't they? Then armor and stat them like any other cyberlimb.

Edit:
I was thinking of the Articulating Arm Mount, my bad. And you need a cybertorso for it and it looks like you can really only mount 1 due to the lack of cybertorso space. So I'd say that it's a bust. But, you can handle it however you'd like to. A lot of room for abuse though; I wouldn't put them in my campaign.

Double-edit!
It occurred to me, if you had set of wings strapped onto you, not grafted, that were hooked in through DNI, say your datajack, then you could possibly do what you're wanting and better yet, you could take them off. It's crazy and people would make fun of you since it's far from practical, but in the right circles (glam-goths) people may think you're a goddess. I'd make them insanely expensive though.

+Quote Post
Paul
post Oct 29 2009, 11:39 PM
Post #3

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 1,514

I absolutely think it's possible. I certainly wouldn't make them common, or easily obtained, let alone easy to disguise or hide. I'd also probably make a trade off between performance and speed, depending on whether it was for an NPC or a player.

As far as Armor goes, armoring stuff that flies is always a trade off between mobility and defense, why would cybered wings be any different. I see no reason for each wing not to cost the equivalent of a replacement cyberlimb.

+Quote Post
Ayeohx
post Oct 29 2009, 11:46 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,402

QUOTE (Paul @ Oct 29 2009, 05:39 PM) *
I absolutely think it's possible. I certainly wouldn't make them common, or easily obtained, let alone easy to disguise or hide. I'd also probably make a trade off between performance and speed, depending on whether it was for an NPC or a player.

As far as Armor goes, armoring stuff that flies is always a trade off between mobility and defense, why would cybered wings be any different. I see no reason for each wing not to cost the equivalent of a replacement cyberlimb.

It kind of violates the standard build of a human being but since they've got 4 armed humans now I guess anything is possible. Still, I don't think that a standard human's torso is designed for 4 limbs. I'd really enforce a "for cybertorso only" rule, but then there's that max capacity on cybertorsos. Meh.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Oct 30 2009, 01:07 AM
Post #5

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Ayeohx @ Oct 29 2009, 05:46 PM) *
It kind of violates the standard build of a human being but since they've got 4 armed humans now I guess anything is possible. Still, I don't think that a standard human's torso is designed for 4 limbs. I'd really enforce a "for cybertorso only" rule, but then there's that max capacity on cybertorsos. Meh.

Just stat the pair as a Articulated Weapon Mount... would work out pretty well as far as capacity, and then you could come up with a rule to stat the Movement capabilities... It would be pretty odd though... as movement capabilities would imply a pretty massive wingspan for a human sized body to actually achieve flight...

Just Sayin'

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post
Chrysalis
post Oct 30 2009, 01:11 AM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 2,048

Umm guys. They are supposed to be a neat idea. Not because they are expected to be used for taking off like a bird.

But then again we have jet boards, why can't we have wings with flight?

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Oct 30 2009, 01:44 AM
Post #7

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Chrysalis @ Oct 29 2009, 07:11 PM) *
Umm guys. They are supposed to be a neat idea. Not because they are expected to be used for taking off like a bird.

But then again we have jet boards, why can't we have wings with flight?

You can, Of Course, you will just have a large wing span to body size ration, which is a requirement for powered flight (at least most of the time, aerodynamics being what it is)... Null Perspiration...

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Oct 30 2009, 02:02 AM
Post #8

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

Aren't there Jumpjets in SR4 now?
Just use the Wings to get Capacity for more Jump-Jets and be donw with it?

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Oct 30 2009, 02:12 AM
Post #9

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Oct 29 2009, 08:02 PM) *
Aren't there Jumpjets in SR4 now?
Just use the Wings to get Capacity for more Jump-Jets and be donw with it?

There are Hydraulic Rams (for Cyberlegs)... Not so sure about the "Jump Jets" Though...

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post
Red-ROM
post Oct 30 2009, 03:00 AM
Post #10

Shooting Target

Member No.: 16,787

wouldn't it have to be at least 5 tons for jump jets? I haven't played battletech since ...98?

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Oct 30 2009, 03:01 AM
Post #11

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Oct 29 2009, 09:00 PM) *
wouldn't it have to be at least 5 tons for jump jets? I haven't played battletech since ...98?

Probably... But Elementals have Jump of 3, so maybe not...

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post
The Jake
post Oct 30 2009, 04:55 AM
Post #12

Shooting Target

Member No.: 872

If this can be done with Cyberware, I fail to see why this can't also be a SURGE trait...

Come to think of it, I would have thought wings would have been a fairly obvious one...

- J.

+Quote Post
Jericho Alar
post Oct 30 2009, 05:28 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,812

Magic wings would be more effective.

the issue with cyber wings is they can either be large enough to function as wings or small enough to cosmetically look like winged pictures of humans from art, not both. the former would be a logistics nightmare for moving around in when not in flight and the latter would be (At best) maybe useful for base jumping.

then again, base jumping with cyberwings would be pretty cool...

+Quote Post
darthmord
post Oct 30 2009, 07:39 PM
Post #14

Running Target

Member No.: 11,548

You guys do realize that a drake would have to deal with much of the same issues with wingspans, right? Take some cues from that department.

+Quote Post
Maelstrome
post Oct 30 2009, 08:27 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,237

i statted up cyberwings for sr3 back when i was playing baten kaitos.i can look through my stuff for the rules. the wings could fold and unfold as a complex action. gave no armor bonus ,had to be custom tailored to each individual, mine gave full flight though and a skill called winged flight to be used like athletics with them. mine took advantage of a magical substance that allowed them to properly function. the substance was called levistone and when electricly charged became lighter than air and anyone that was in contact with it did the same.

+Quote Post
Muspellsheimr
post Oct 30 2009, 08:38 PM
Post #16

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,706

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Oct 29 2009, 06:07 PM) *
Just stat the pair as a Articulated Weapon Mount... would work out pretty well as far as capacity, and then you could come up with a rule to stat the Movement capabilities... It would be pretty odd though... as movement capabilities would imply a pretty massive wingspan for a human sized body to actually achieve flight...

12 foot wingspan for an average hight human (minimum - I would need to actually do research as to the ratio to be more precise).

QUOTE (The Jake @ Oct 29 2009, 09:55 PM) *
If this can be done with Cyberware, I fail to see why this can't also be a SURGE trait...

Come to think of it, I would have thought wings would have been a fairly obvious one...

- J.

I have already done this - you can dig around here for it if you want. I never got the chance to use it, or fine-tune the writeup, but it's here somewhere.

+Quote Post
Adarael
post Oct 30 2009, 10:01 PM
Post #17

Deus Absconditus

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,566

Strap a high-lift VTOL drone to a backpack. The only times I've fooled around with this concept, it involved MilSpec armor, and a high-thrust drone strapped to the back. Unfortunately with SR4, I think they've excised the lift & max weight stats for vehicles.

I did it in the first case to prove the Rigger 3 rules were a mess, and then I decided later it was a cool idea for a more anime style game.

+Quote Post
Drraagh
post Oct 30 2009, 10:18 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,631

The main question about wings is what type do we want? Are we talking wings line in the TV show Gargoyles that wrap around them like bat wings, or wings that tuck in like bird wings, wings that are always out, or wings that sprout out the back and can be expanded like Angel from X-Men? Each have their own problems, and benefits.

+Quote Post
Paul
post Oct 30 2009, 10:36 PM
Post #19

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 1,514

QUOTE (Ayeohx @ Oct 29 2009, 07:46 PM) *
I'd really enforce a "for cybertorso only" rule, but then there's that max capacity on cybertorsos.

I can see that. Myself, there's some fun consequences to stress on the ware, including the meat body.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Oct 30 2009, 11:45 PM
Post #20

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ Oct 30 2009, 01:38 PM) *
12 foot wingspan for an average hight human (minimum - I would need to actually do research as to the ratio to be more precise).

Yeah, I was spitballing from 13-14 feet... it might be slightly less...

In this scenario, I would prefer something like Archangels wings in X-Men, something that can be somewhat controlled for ease of maneuverability when not flying (Read: Out of the Way)...

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post
Tiny Deev
post Oct 31 2009, 01:02 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,154

Like so?

I love that picture.

+Quote Post
Pendaric
post Oct 31 2009, 01:21 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,047

I ran a brief description of a transhumanist npc with cyber wings in my game. Partially artiulcated non functioning performance/life style choice piece of custm cyber ware with a cyber torso. Think nine foot chromatic/ruthenium polyimer angle wings used in performace art piece at an exclusive transhumanist club.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Oct 31 2009, 03:59 PM
Post #23

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Tiny Deev @ Oct 31 2009, 07:02 AM) *
Like so?

I love that picture.

Indeed... I love it...

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:26 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.