> SR Politics, Or, The Messiah gets elected
ludomastro
post Oct 30 2009, 02:45 AM
Post #1

Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,297

Obama is some type of savior?

Now, I'm not looking to debate politics, but this article made me wonder about the SR future.

How would you incorporate celebrity-like politicians and their adoring fans/worshipers into your SR game?

------

My idea: A politician making serious headway in a local election where his supporters literally think him (or her) divine. The team is hired to advance/destroy his bid.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Oct 30 2009, 02:57 AM
Post #2

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Member No.: 8,361

Given the state of the Sixth World, rabid fans declaring their favorite politician, CEO, brand of soda to be divine and everything else hellspawn should be the norm as opposed to the exception. And of course, the truth is that no-one and nothing is ever as "shiny" as the fanboys want it to be.

+Quote Post
Ascalaphus
post Oct 30 2009, 03:18 AM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 17,814

My plan is to write a short newssheet for every session. About four lines each about bussiness, politics, culture, crime and sports. It'll allow some name-dropping of NPCs, products, and even occasionally plot-related information.

If you want to run a story about a much-hyped NPC, you should make people feel the hype by having references to the NPC everywhere.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Oct 30 2009, 03:33 AM
Post #4

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Oct 29 2009, 09:18 PM) *
My plan is to write a short newssheet for every session. About four lines each about bussiness, politics, culture, crime and sports. It'll allow some name-dropping of NPCs, products, and even occasionally plot-related information.

If you want to run a story about a much-hyped NPC, you should make people feel the hype by having references to the NPC everywhere.

I used to produce a Newsletter (2 page for Champions (in 3 variations), and 12-24 pages in Vampire) for each month of play, and it worked out wonderfully... allowed me to introduce a great many things in a somewhat subtle manner...

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post
Method
post Oct 30 2009, 04:54 AM
Post #5

Street Doc

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,114

This idea is hardly new to SR. There are cults that worship Dunklzan/Ghostwalker. Plus Dunklezan's whole schtick was that he was a media whore who became the first blac... er non-metahuman president.

Oh, and Sting is a douche bag.

+Quote Post
The Jake
post Oct 30 2009, 05:04 AM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Member No.: 872

QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Oct 30 2009, 04:18 AM) *

I have been meaning to do this for so long.... I'm just too constrained for time. So much so, I can barely run my campaign as it is.

- J.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Oct 31 2009, 12:04 AM
Post #7

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (The Jake @ Oct 29 2009, 10:04 PM) *
I have been meaning to do this for so long.... I'm just too constrained for time. So much so, I can barely run my campaign as it is.

- J.

Yeah, it is a big drain on available time...

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 31 2009, 12:58 AM
Post #8

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (Alex @ Oct 29 2009, 09:45 PM) *
Obama is some type of savior?

Now, I'm not looking to debate politics, but this article made me wonder about the SR future.

How would you incorporate celebrity-like politicians and their adoring fans/worshipers into your SR game?

Did you perhaps miss the entire Dunkelzahn campaign?

~J

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Oct 31 2009, 01:10 AM
Post #9

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Member No.: 8,361

What made it even worse was that the devs allowed "the fans" to vote, I mean who did they expect to win given the people voting?

+Quote Post
ludomastro
post Oct 31 2009, 05:08 AM
Post #10

Runner

Member No.: 8,297

QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Oct 30 2009, 06:58 PM) *

~J

Now that you mention it, yes I did. The big D was president by the time I started playing.

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Oct 31 2009, 10:55 PM
Post #11

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

at the other end of the scale in that race was Brackhaven who was the klan member arguing that non-humans were impure. IO suspect you'd see more of this than fan boys- I mean really- and ORK???? negative adds are bed enough today when it's just 2 white men.

+Quote Post
Fezig
post Oct 31 2009, 11:09 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,168

QUOTE (The Jake @ Oct 29 2009, 09:04 PM) *

- J.

I actually have been doing this for the last couple campaigns I've run and found it very helpful and only to take about 15-30 minutes total after the first time. I used MS publisher to make a very simple template, and just replace the articles and change the date every time. I only have two actual stories, and then a couple of small tag lines. I found it very helpful for reinforcing things such as the popularity of a new drug, the scale at which a gang is operating, or other larger ideas like that. It also was a way to drop an idea and see what the players thought of it. I essentially just limit it to a Scream Sheet since I don't have enough time to fully flesh it out (though since one group member is about to start running exalted I will have more time to plan my sessions thankfully...)

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Nov 1 2009, 01:58 AM
Post #13

King of the Hobos

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 127

QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Oct 31 2009, 12:58 AM) *

Did they ever mention how the voting split regarding the candidates? IIRC very few people actually bothered to send the forms back and the result was fairly slanted to Dunkelzahn but it would be interesting to know how the others did.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:39 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.