IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rerouting Astral Links, How do you do it?
Nexushound
post Nov 2 2009, 05:29 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,861

Oi Chummers,

In Street Magic there is a fluff peice on pg 111 that describes Ares Firewatch mages going on a Meta-Planar quest from the Space Station Eden. In it they describe a Focus that has had it's astral link rerouted with the end of it being located in a Hive on the Insect Spirit Meta Plane. If the focus is on the station and the mage that is linked to the Focus in question is somewhere else would'nt the astral link just flow from the focus to the mage? How does rerouting an Astral Link work? Just curious any ideas or R.A.W. data?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Nov 3 2009, 03:20 AM
Post #2

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Nexushound @ Nov 1 2009, 10:29 PM) *
Oi Chummers,

In Street Magic there is a fluff peice on pg 111 that describes Ares Firewatch mages going on a Meta-Planar quest from the Space Station Eden. In it they describe a Focus that has had it's astral link rerouted with the end of it being located in a Hive on the Insect Spirit Meta Plane. If the focus is on the station and the mage that is linked to the Focus in question is somewhere else would'nt the astral link just flow from the focus to the mage? How does rerouting an Astral Link work? Just curious any ideas or R.A.W. data?

I believe that you would use an astral quest to bury (hide) the link in a metaplane... the deeper the metaplane the riskier the quest...

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post
kzt
post Nov 3 2009, 04:57 AM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

There are bunch of things that a large magical organization should be able to do that make no real sense for PCs and hence wouldn't be discussed in the rules. The GM can just have the NPCs do it. Obvious one for security are things like redirecting Ward notifications and bonding the wards of many mages into a whole.

+Quote Post
darthmord
post Nov 3 2009, 01:13 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 11,548

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Nov 2 2009, 10:20 PM) *
I believe that you would use an astral quest to bury (hide) the link in a metaplane... the deeper the metaplane the riskier the quest...

Keep the Faith

You can use an Metaplanar Quest to hide / obscure all sorts of magical actions.

+Quote Post
TheOOB
post Nov 3 2009, 01:28 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 10,749

What they where doing in the book example wasn't simple link rerouting, you need a guide to reach the deep metaplanes, and apparently they where able to create a link that removed that restriction. Unfortunately, it works both ways. Is a semi-unique enchantment.

But yes, you can take any astral link pointing to you, and bury it in the metaplanes so that anyone who wants to trace it to you must go on the same metaplaner quest before they get to you.

+Quote Post
djinni
post Nov 3 2009, 01:58 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,934

QUOTE (TheOOB @ Nov 3 2009, 09:28 AM) *
But yes, you can take any astral link pointing to you, and bury it in the metaplanes so that anyone who wants to trace it to you must go on the same metaplaner quest before they get to you.

anyone have a page reference?

+Quote Post
Dahrken
post Nov 3 2009, 05:42 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,693

QUOTE (djinni @ Nov 3 2009, 02:58 PM) *
anyone have a page reference?

Street Magic page 132, but there is not much details here.

+Quote Post
Nexushound
post Nov 3 2009, 08:13 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Awesome Info guys thanks. I have a pretty good handle on the Magic Related rules but this one threw me for a loop. I know that with the stories you need to take it with a grain of salt and realize that not everything will be RAW. But this one seemed possible and without any references I was confused. I'll look into it some more and post what I find here...maybe something more in older editions? I check there as well.

+Quote Post
Nexushound
post Nov 4 2009, 03:18 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Oi Chummers,

The reference to pg. 132 in Street Magic answerd my questions. Astral Concealment is a possible goal of a Meta-Planar quest where you can divert the link to a Focus,Spell, Spirit, whatever to the Meta-Planes. Succeding in this Astral Quest succesfully conceals the link in the Meta Planes. Any one who attempts to track the link will know immediatley that the link is concealed in the Meta -Planes but must succed in thier own Astral quest. Thanks for the info guys.

+Quote Post
Nexushound
post Nov 4 2009, 03:37 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Oi Chums,

If I read the story and R.A.W. in Street Magic correctly, then the Ares Firewatch mage in the story who rerouted the Focus to the Hive Meta-Plane is a Grade 8 Initiate!!! Again more questions than answers. And the Shadows deepen.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Nov 4 2009, 03:42 AM
Post #11

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Nexushound @ Nov 3 2009, 08:37 PM) *
Oi Chums,

If I read the story and R.A.W. in Street Magic correctly, then the Ares Firewatch mage in the story who rerouted the Focus to the Hive Meta-Plane is a Grade 8 Initiate!!! Again more questions than answers. And the Shadows deepen.

Grade 8 is definitely powerful... Gotta love Initiation... The Shadows are ALWAYS Deep...

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post
kzt
post Nov 4 2009, 03:52 AM
Post #12

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

QUOTE (Nexushound @ Nov 3 2009, 08:37 PM) *
If I read the story and R.A.W. in Street Magic correctly, then the Ares Firewatch mage in the story who rerouted the Focus to the Hive Meta-Plane is a Grade 8 Initiate!!!

Firewatch varies between what prime runners want to be when they grow up or almost as good as lonestar beat cops depending on who is writing the fluff. I tend to use option 1 myself.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Nov 6 2009, 01:19 AM
Post #13

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (kzt @ Nov 3 2009, 08:52 PM) *
Firewatch varies between what prime runners want to be when they grow up or almost as good as lonestar beat cops depending on who is writing the fluff. I tend to use option 1 myself.

Agreed... I go for option 1 myself

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post
darthmord
post Nov 6 2009, 01:26 PM
Post #14

Running Target

Member No.: 11,548

Firewatch Mages tend to be some obnoxiously powerful people... I'm quite alright with that too.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 05:56 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.