Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Seeing through walls!, Makeing a spell for X-ray vision
Lok1 :)
post Nov 2 2009, 08:30 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,321

One of my players in my new game is requisting a spell that would allow his street shaman to "See through walls", not only is this possible with the rules but it would be dirt cheap.
My quistion is this: How can I incorperate such a spell and still maintain a simblance of balance, primarly because this spell would open up a lot of opertunitys for spellscasting against someone that can't fight back. (Line of sight) So far the only way to keep him from blasting foes in the next room over is to limit it to mana spells, (Lightning bolts and such can't fly through walls) but this wouldn't stop alot of his spells and it could also be used to become a UBER sniper. I don't wana deny him a obviously possible spell, but I also don't want to make the game unbalanced.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
darthmord
post Nov 2 2009, 08:39 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 11,548

Just because he can see through the wall doesn't mean he can "see" them in order to satisfy spellcasting requirements.

In fact, I think there are already a couple of spells that are functionally the same as his request. They don't however provide LOS for purposes of spellcasting. Check Street Magic.

+Quote Post
Apathy
post Nov 2 2009, 08:46 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 6,046

I remember that there was a similar thread a while back about the invisibility spell. If you cast invisibility on a door, could you then see people on the other side? Could the people on the other side see through it as well? And could you cast direct combat spells through the door? I think the consensus at the time was "Yes" to all three questions.

+Quote Post
TBRMInsanity
post Nov 2 2009, 08:55 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 8,494

IIRC natural light (not magically bent light) must be able to travel in a straight line between the subject and the the caster to maintain LOS. This means if a physical object like a wall or door is in between the caster and the target (regardless if it is visible or not), then you don't have LOS and anyone on the other side can't be targeted. This is also why mage sight goggles work, as they naturally bend light so you can maintain LOS.

That being said, the ability to look through walls is still powerful as it will give you vital information (Oh look, the guards have set up an ambush for us behind this door. Lets go the long way around.).

+Quote Post
LurkerOutThere
post Nov 2 2009, 09:23 PM
Post #5

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,234

Two things:

The only way this spell would be feasable is if it works both ways he's not seeing through walls, shadowrun magic can't do that outside of the ridiculous sense enemies spell. So the only way for him to accomplish this feat is to atcually chang ethe properties of the wall itself, a taxing undertaking.

Also flat out wouldn't allow it to satisfy the line of site requirement.

In the end anything a player can come up with could have likely been come up with by someone else and should have. Therefore I would presume the reason such a thing doesn't exist is because it's just not possible. Easy peasy.

+Quote Post
Marwynn
post Nov 2 2009, 09:27 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 12,093

"Detect Life" I think you mean, and yes that is quite nuts.

Simply don't allow it. Magic is powerful as it is, he just needs to use Mage Sight Goggles and find a simple way of poking holes into things. Then cast away.

I would caution allowing this, and this comes from a mostly-magician player.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Nov 2 2009, 09:34 PM
Post #7

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

Clairvoiyance does this, right? No spellcasting though.

+Quote Post
EvilP
post Nov 2 2009, 10:25 PM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 10,024

Might as well use clairvoyance and a HMG with a tripod and APDS ammo. Then you can really start poking holes in people through walls.

+Quote Post
Lok1 :)
post Nov 2 2009, 11:15 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,321

I'm thinking I'm going to have it as a lower drain version of clairvoyance, why real light is needed to convay the metal image and theirfor magical link I don't know but as long as he can't go blasting people with Shatter while in the room over everything should be peachy.

+Quote Post
TBRMInsanity
post Nov 3 2009, 03:01 PM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 8,494

QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Nov 2 2009, 03:23 PM) *
Two things:

The only way this spell would be feasable is if it works both ways he's not seeing through walls, shadowrun magic can't do that outside of the ridiculous sense enemies spell. So the only way for him to accomplish this feat is to atcually chang ethe properties of the wall itself, a taxing undertaking.

Also flat out wouldn't allow it to satisfy the line of site requirement.

In the end anything a player can come up with could have likely been come up with by someone else and should have. Therefore I would presume the reason such a thing doesn't exist is because it's just not possible. Easy peasy.

I don't see what is wrong with being able to see through a wall but not being able to cast through the wall. You can do that already with a short astral projection anyway. I think to keep game mechanics in balance you just need to reinforce the point that while you can see the people on the other side of the wall, you don't have LOS with them and thus can't cast spells against them (unless your willing to have someone act as an astral spotter and do ritual sorcery (which is just plain silly).

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:28 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.