IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cyberware, Capacity, and you, Yet another Senseless Rules question.
Marcus
post Nov 3 2009, 03:16 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,826

Hey Chummers,

I'm down here in NC and we gotta small by expanding group of players, which of course leads to a lot character creation.
Along the way we stumbled upon a couple things that I found to be puzzling, I'm certain there were specific rules on this
sometime in a previous edition, but I can't find them in 4E. So I'm hear asking ya to tell it to me straight!

Capacity in Cybereyes and Cyberears, I assumed (that is probably my first mistake) could only have those things that were listed
on the same table as the basic models are list (see SR4E20th Edition page 341). Now under Cyberwares general rules it does say you can put capacity into
Cyberlimbs, which i took to mean Arms legs skulls etc. But when I had a fellow player show up at our table with streetsam that had a Commlink in his eye
and olfactory booster in his ears, i was left wondering.
We talked it over peaceably after the game but couldn't find a rule one way or another, though it does talk about putting datajacks in cyber eyes somewhere in the cybereye section. All and all it does not seem to have any major effect on our game, but I do want know.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
-M (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cyber.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dikotana
post Nov 3 2009, 03:36 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,928

I can't document it, but I have always assumed that cybereye capacity can only be used for eye enhancements, cyberear capacity can only be used for ear enhancements, and limb/torso/skull capacity can be used either for enhancement of that bodypart or for sticking in whatever fits and doesn't need a specific home. That would put the SR4 rules more in line with SR3, which didn't give eyes or ears capacity at all, just free essence for enhancements.

+Quote Post
Ayeohx
post Nov 3 2009, 04:20 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,402

QUOTE (Marcus @ Nov 2 2009, 08:16 PM) *
Hey Chummers,

Capacity in Cybereyes and Cyberears, I assumed (that is probably my first mistake) could only have those things that were listed
on the same table as the basic models are list (see SR4E20th Edition page 341). Now under Cyberwares general rules it does say you can put capacity into
Cyberlimbs, which i took to mean Arms legs skulls etc. But when I had a fellow player show up at our table with streetsam that had a Commlink in his eye
We talked it over peaceably after the game but couldn't find a rule one way or another, though it does talk about putting datajacks in cyber eyes somewhere in the cybereye section. All and all it does not seem to have any major effect on our game, but I do want know.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
-M (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cyber.gif)

Wow. Punch that gamer for making things difficult for you. Afterwards, give em credit for trying.

I wouldn't allow it. Capacity differs depending on body placement. For instance, a smartlink takes 3 eyeware capacity. Foot anchors, spikes that shoot out of the bottom of your feet, also take 3 capacity.

+Quote Post
gtjormungand
post Nov 3 2009, 04:22 AM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 16,182

Please read the section headers for each type of cyberwear (headwear, eyewear, earwear...). It specifically says what can fill with their capacities. For instance, eyewear and earwear can only be put in cybereyes and cyberears, respectively, and those devices cannot accept devices from other sections. However, headwear gear can be put in cyberlimbs if it has a capacity listed.

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Nov 3 2009, 05:01 AM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,665

Though considering that commlinks can be made pretty small there might be a version that fits in cybereyes (make it 4 capacity and roll with it).

+Quote Post
Marcus
post Nov 3 2009, 05:08 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,826

QUOTE (gtjormungand @ Nov 2 2009, 11:22 PM) *
Please read the section headers for each type of cyberwear (headwear, eyewear, earwear...). It specifically says what can fill with their capacities. For instance, eyewear and earwear can only be put in cybereyes and cyberears, respectively, and those devices cannot accept devices from other sections. However, headwear gear can be put in cyberlimbs if it has a capacity listed.

That what i had always read it as. Appreciate the Insight Chummers. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cyber.gif)

+Quote Post
Muspellsheimr
post Nov 3 2009, 06:36 AM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,706

QUOTE (SR4A p.343)
STANDARD CYBERLIMBS
Obvious Limbs
Full Arm
Full Leg
Hand/Foot
Lower Arm
Lower Leg
Torso
Skull

QUOTE (SR4A p.338)
These small complex devices are inserted into the head (typically constructed via less-invasive
nanosurgery). Items that have a Capacity rating may be installed in cyberlimbs instead, costing
capacity rather than Essence.

QUOTE (SR4A p.341)
Bodyware that does not have a Capacity rating must be installed
directly into the user’s body; it cannot be installed into cyberlimbs.
Bodyware with a Capacity rating may be installed in cyberlimbs, costing
capacity rather than Essence.

QUOTE (SR4A p.344)
Cyberlimb enhancements use up the Capacity of the cyberlimb they
enhance.

QUOTE (SR4A p.339)
Eyeware subsystems either take up Capacity in a cybereye or
Essence in a natural eye (not both).

QUOTE (SR4A p.341)
Like eyeware, earware can be installed within a complete cyberear replacement
(costing Capacity)
or as an inner ear modification (costing
Essence). Upgrades usually involve both ears, so the user’s hearing is
not unbalanced.

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Nov 3 2009, 08:37 AM
Post #8

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Member No.: 8,361

Although not really needed in Fourth Edition due to the wireless 'Trix, it bares noting that you used to be able to have a cybereye that held a datajack.

+Quote Post
Ayeohx
post Nov 3 2009, 08:40 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

QUOTE (Ravor @ Nov 3 2009, 01:37 AM) *
Although not really needed in Fourth Edition due to the wireless 'Trix, it bares noting that you used to be able to have a cybereye that held a datajack.

Yeah, and that's freakin creepy!

+Quote Post
Traul
post Nov 3 2009, 08:46 AM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 17,229

QUOTE (Marcus @ Nov 3 2009, 04:16 AM) *
But when I had a fellow player show up at our table with streetsam that had a Commlink in his eye

He is still playing nice: with the same rules, he could have fit a grenade launcher in his cybereyes.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Nov 3 2009, 09:24 AM
Post #11

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

QUOTE (Ayeohx @ Nov 3 2009, 09:40 AM) *
Yeah, and that's freakin creepy!

Why is it more creepy when people stick a cable into their artificial eye than it is when people stick a cable into their real skull?

+Quote Post
Ayeohx
post Nov 3 2009, 11:28 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Nov 3 2009, 02:24 AM) *
Why is it more creepy when people stick a cable into their artificial eye than it is when people stick a cable into their real skull?

Huh, for some reason that seems perfectly normal to me. Heck, I'd love a datajack. I'd let em drill a hole in my head and wire it into my brain tomorrow if I could. But messing with your eyes, that's just crazy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Garou
post Nov 3 2009, 06:03 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,955

Forget the friggin datajack. As one of my players and fellow dumpshocker, Brazilian Shinobi would say. "Forget datajack. I would sell my liver and kidney to have one thing, and one thing only: Sleep Regulator!"

Unnecessary to say that Shinobi is a guy that is struggling through a computer sciences undergraduate course... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) he has his reasons.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Nov 4 2009, 03:40 AM
Post #14

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Garou @ Nov 3 2009, 11:03 AM) *
Forget the friggin datajack. As one of my players and fellow dumpshocker, Brazilian Shinobi would say. "Forget datajack. I would sell my liver and kidney to have one thing, and one thing only: Sleep Regulator!"

Unnecessary to say that Shinobi is a guy that is struggling through a computer sciences undergraduate course... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) he has his reasons.

Sleep Regulator All the Way.... But hey... A Sleep Regulator AND a Datajack... Hmmmmmmmmm

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post
Brazilian_Shinob...
post Nov 4 2009, 04:39 AM
Post #15

Shooting Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,437

QUOTE (Garou @ Nov 3 2009, 03:03 PM) *

And here I am taking a break on my graduate thesis at 1:30 AM just to visit dumpshock...
Truth be told, while I would gladly give a piece of my liver and a kidney for a sleep regulator, I think I'm overpricing it. NOW, I would gladly give a liver and a kidney AND my eyes for a sleep regulator, digestive enhancement and cyber-eyes (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cyber.gif)

+Quote Post
Ayeohx
post Nov 4 2009, 07:23 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

QUOTE (Garou @ Nov 3 2009, 11:03 AM) *

hell no! I got RSI and a bunch of other arm/wrist nerve issues. A datajack would be a dream come true. Though cyberarms would fix my current issue as well. And I could put "toys" in them.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Nov 6 2009, 03:32 AM
Post #17

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Ayeohx @ Nov 4 2009, 12:23 AM) *
hell no! I got RSI and a bunch of other arm/wrist nerve issues. A datajack would be a dream come true. Though cyberarms would fix my current issue as well. And I could put "toys" in them.

"Toys" are good...

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Nov 6 2009, 04:46 AM
Post #18

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Member No.: 8,361

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/silly.gif) Mind out of the gutter... Bad Tymeaus Jalynsfein. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/silly.gif)

+Quote Post
sqir666
post Nov 6 2009, 04:51 AM
Post #19

Target

Member No.: 17,846

This is correct.

Perhaps I need to visit NC and smack that "player" into a different game system.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:00 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.