IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Meta Caste?, Or what are, Damien Knight, the Imm. Elves, and Ghostwalker up too?
Marcus
post Nov 3 2009, 09:25 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,826

Sup Chummers,

So that Horror thread really took me back, but it also caused me to go, What have Damien Knight, the Immortal Elves, the Dragons etc, been up to during the last 20 SR years? I don't think i have seen hide nor hair of them sense FASA handed it over? Were rights to those characters retained by their creators? Did they just not use them for the last little bit? Anyone know? These and countless other unanswerable questions, brought to you by the Letter D, and Number 3.

-M (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cyber.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JonathanC
post Nov 3 2009, 10:19 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 3,083

They were just too "Shadowrun" for the new Shadowrun, I guess. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Also, they're metaplot characters, and most of the SR4 books have been more about putting the players in a position to do the cool stuff, rather than watching some other awesome dude make something happen. A new dragons book would be nice though.

+Quote Post
Weaver95
post Nov 3 2009, 11:17 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,687

y'know, I wouldn't mind a brief update on what the big guns have been up to over the past couple few years. Nothing specific, but something along the lines of 'this is harlequin, he's been doing blah blah, he might hire shadowrunners to do blah blah'. something along those lines would be nice.

+Quote Post
Traul
post Nov 4 2009, 12:00 AM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 17,229

Maybe they have just been resting. 10 year holidays do not sound that crazy for an immortal.

+Quote Post
Hagga
post Nov 4 2009, 02:01 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,538

If it doesn't involve force-feeding them assault cannon rounds (especially Harlequin. Oh, how I loathe he and Frosty), who cares?

+Quote Post
LurkerOutThere
post Nov 4 2009, 02:05 AM
Post #6

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,234

Dragons of the Sixth world wasn't that long ago now was it? It went into detail what all of them were up to. Damien Knight had a cameo in System Failure but other then that hasn't seen much play. I assume their still out there doing what they do. Frankly if the IE never appear again I'd be happy. Frosty pops up in Dusk and quckly does her Mary Sue save the party bit.

+Quote Post
Marcus
post Nov 4 2009, 04:39 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,826

QUOTE (JonathanC @ Nov 3 2009, 05:19 PM) *
They were just too "Shadowrun" for the new Shadowrun, I guess. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Also, they're metaplot characters, and most of the SR4 books have been more about putting the players in a position to do the cool stuff, rather than watching some other awesome dude make something happen. A new dragons book would be nice though.

I can certainly agree that it's a tough balance between making a cool meta-plot, and having Characters interact with it. IMO one of Shadowrun's strength has always been its strong background, and cool character examples. Its good that they are working on creating those examples again. Dragons of the 6th World was in 3rd (Which i had never seen until about 10 mins ago (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) thanks for info on that! Gonna go read now.) its publishing date is 2003, and its game date is 2063, so i guess its only been 9 years campaign time.

Stay Frosty.

-M (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cyber.gif)

+Quote Post
LurkerOutThere
post Nov 4 2009, 05:50 AM
Post #8

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,234

Dragons of the Six World is an excellent refrence piece on dragons and some of the other movers and shakers and given their long view and it's recentness would still be very poignant in the current environment. The section in the back is very helpful to GM's as it gives a sense of the dragons short term and long term goals while the more forward stuff gives more interest tot heir holdings and perceptions.

+Quote Post
Blade
post Nov 4 2009, 09:40 AM
Post #9

Runner

Member No.: 9,466

Damien Knight is managing one of the 10 biggest megacorporation, and that doesn't leave him with much time on his hands to do anything else.
The immortal elves and great dragons sit in their big chairs which they sometimes turn around to face the camera and say "Perfect, everything is going according to plan." while stroking a cat.

More seriously, one of SR4's objective was to have new players be able to play without having to know everything about the previous editions and another one was to get the focus back on the street-level. These objectives make it harder to involve super-powerful character who've been plotting things since SR1/2.

+Quote Post
Hagga
post Nov 4 2009, 10:58 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,538

QUOTE (Blade @ Nov 4 2009, 10:40 AM) *
Damien Knight is managing one of the 10 biggest megacorporation, and that doesn't leave him with much time on his hands to do anything else.
The immortal elves and great dragons sit in their big chairs which they sometimes turn around to face the camera and say "Perfect, everything is going according to plan." while stroking a cat.

More seriously, one of SR4's objective was to have new players be able to play without having to know everything about the previous editions and another one was to get the focus back on the street-level. These objectives make it harder to involve super-powerful character who've been plotting things since SR1/2.

Man-of-Many-Names isn't QUITE immortal (yet), but he's sure as hell been hip-deep in it all since 1st edition.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:06 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.