IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vampires, Matrix and Other Hacking Questions, Can Infected use VR? or are they limited to AR
Bushw4cker
post Nov 8 2009, 01:06 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,830

For the first time ever, I've let one of my players play a Vampire. She already has computer skills and wants to use the Karma she's accumulated to eventually develop into a Hacker. Is she only going to be able to use just AR? If Vampires can use VR, How does Biofeedback from Black Ice work with Regen?
Another thing that's got me confused is Datajacks, if you have an implanted commlink modified for hot sim, do you still need a Datajack to use BTL's or Knowsofts? If you have a datajack, can you use AR displays without the need of AR gloves? If you have a datajack, can you use VR as long as your external comlink is sim modified?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Weaver95
post Nov 8 2009, 03:20 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,687

QUOTE (Bushw4cker @ Nov 8 2009, 08:06 AM) *
For the first time ever, I've let one of my players play a Vampire. She already has computer skills and wants to use the Karma she's accumulated to eventually develop into a Hacker. Is she only going to be able to use just AR? If Vampires can use VR, How does Biofeedback from Black Ice work with Regen?
Another thing that's got me confused is Datajacks, if you have an implanted commlink modified for hot sim, do you still need a Datajack to use BTL's or Knowsofts? If you have a datajack, can you use AR displays without the need of AR gloves? If you have a datajack, can you use VR as long as your external comlink is sim modified?

Remember - the infected CAN use cyberwear, but it's extremely expensive and it has to be delta grade stuff. Just finding a facility equipped to handle them as a patient is an adventure in and of itself.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Nov 8 2009, 03:45 PM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,709

QUOTE (Bushw4cker @ Nov 8 2009, 02:06 PM) *
Is she only going to be able to use just AR?

Why shouldn't vampires use VR? Thanks to trodenets even a datajack is no longer required.

If Vampires can use VR, How does Biofeedback from Black Ice work with Regen?

Good question, never had to handle that case

Another thing that's got me confused is Datajacks, if you have an implanted commlink modified for hot sim, do you still need a Datajack to use BTL's or Knowsofts?

Nope, just copy them over to the implanted link.

If you have a datajack, can you use AR displays without the need of AR gloves?

Yes, your commlink is directly wired to your neural system so it can both project the AR overlays into you field of vision and register the movement of your hands without any extra gear.

If you have a datajack, can you use VR as long as your external comlink is sim modified?

Same as above, the commlink feeds the simsense data directly into the brain

+Quote Post
Dahrken
post Nov 8 2009, 03:56 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,693

QUOTE (Sengir @ Nov 8 2009, 04:45 PM) *
Why shouldn't vampires use VR? Thanks to trodenets even a datajack is no longer required.

There could be a problem if the changes brought by HMVV makes their brain structure and cerebral activity patterns too different from the human/metahuman norm. The more radical Infected (like wendigos) probably cannot use metahuman-designed cyberware or even a trode net.

But vampires and nosferatus are much closer to the human/metahuman norm, so stuff like a trode net is likely to work normally for them. You may want to ask for a few skill rolls or some hours with a skilled cybertechnician for some adjustment and minor tweakings, in this case I suggest using troll-adapted/dwarf adapted extra costs as a guideline.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Nov 8 2009, 04:53 PM
Post #5

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

The regeneration power does not work on damage to the brain or spinal cord (The Precious pg. 296). Biofeedback damage should mostly be brain damage IMO.

+Quote Post
Weaver95
post Nov 8 2009, 06:11 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

QUOTE (Ryu @ Nov 8 2009, 11:53 AM) *
The regeneration power does not work on damage to the brain or spinal cord (The Precious pg. 296). Biofeedback damage should mostly be brain damage IMO.

I would tend to agree with this as well.

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Nov 8 2009, 06:23 PM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Member No.: 16,387

QUOTE (Weaver95 @ Nov 8 2009, 09:20 AM) *
Remember - the infected CAN use cyberwear, but it's extremely expensive and it has to be delta grade stuff. Just finding a facility equipped to handle them as a patient is an adventure in and of itself.

Trode Net.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Nov 8 2009, 08:56 PM
Post #8

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,709

QUOTE (Dahrken @ Nov 8 2009, 04:56 PM) *
There could be a problem if the changes brought by HMVV makes their brain structure and cerebral activity patterns too different from the human/metahuman norm. The more radical Infected (like wendigos) probably cannot use metahuman-designed cyberware or even a trode net.

According to RW, there are even several kinds of trodes for sapient critters. I guess if it works for reptiles and...whatever taxon pixies are, it should also work for infected (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Weaver95
post Nov 8 2009, 09:19 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

QUOTE (Sengir @ Nov 8 2009, 03:56 PM) *
According to RW, there are even several kinds of trodes for sapient critters. I guess if it works for reptiles and...whatever taxon pixies are, it should also work for infected (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Didn't I read somewhere that someone had managed to stick a working datajack into a dragon?

+Quote Post
LurkerOutThere
post Nov 8 2009, 09:31 PM
Post #10

Runner

Member No.: 17,234

Just because they can adapt something doesn't mean they've adapted for everyone, especially species with a standing bounty on their heads.

+Quote Post
Bushw4cker
post Nov 8 2009, 09:43 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Thanks for the good responses (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

+Quote Post
Weaver95
post Nov 8 2009, 09:47 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Nov 8 2009, 04:31 PM) *
Just because they can adapt something doesn't mean they've adapted for everyone, especially species with a standing bounty on their heads.

the problem with going hunting for vampires is that you might accidentally FIND them....

+Quote Post
Bushw4cker
post Nov 8 2009, 09:50 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

What about biofeedback stun damage?...would that be able to regenerate?

+Quote Post
Weaver95
post Nov 8 2009, 10:01 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

QUOTE (Bushw4cker @ Nov 8 2009, 04:50 PM) *
What about biofeedback stun damage?...would that be able to regenerate?

since it's neural damage, I'd lean towards a 'no' answer on that. same reason why vampires can't regenerate stun damage from spellcasting drain.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:43 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.