> Seattle 2072, Nice Job Catalyst
Nexushound
post Nov 13 2009, 06:09 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,861

Oi Chummers,

Just got my Hard Copy of Seattle 2072 and I am Impressed. I love the art and fiction and am really glad it came in a hard cover. Definitly my favorite product for the 4th Ed. Line. Good job Catalyst. I will add that I have Seattle, New Seattle and Runner Havens and have been running games in the Emerald city for years now so I am pretty familiar with the plex and it's denziens and think they did reallya good job keeping in line with all the stuff that's happened in the plex over the years and not forgetting about some of my favorite locales and characters.

Any comments on what you dig and what you don't. Let me know what you think about it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Prime Mover
post Nov 13 2009, 02:59 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 9,313

Glad Seattle got this treatment. Seattle has been the home base for my players since first edition. Updates and great art make this a must buy for me.

+Quote Post
Ascalaphus
post Nov 13 2009, 04:01 PM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 17,814

I'm looking forward to it. The timing couldn't have been better.

+Quote Post
Nightfalke
post Nov 13 2009, 04:02 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,823

So, in your opinion, it's worth the money?

Because, honestly, that was the hold up for me getting it. I mean, full color is pretty and all, but I found the other books (Arsenal, Unwired etc) were just fine in B&W.

+Quote Post
Prime Mover
post Nov 13 2009, 04:11 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 9,313

It's more like the original Seattle book, brought up to date with some great layout/art.

+Quote Post
Moirdryd
post Nov 13 2009, 04:29 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,944

As a piece of sourcework would it be worth getting for those of us using SR3? I have both Seattle and New Seattle but wondering if the new book would be good to add to the setting info.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 13 2009, 04:33 PM
Post #7

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

SR4 is substantially not the same world that SR1-3 were; I would be very surprised if it's worth getting to try to add to an SR3 campaign.

~J

+Quote Post
Warlordtheft
post Nov 13 2009, 06:08 PM
Post #8

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 11,360

Depends if you plan on running Seattle in 2072. If so, my guess is yes---Brackhaven as governer, KE is the law. Plus an updated list of interesting locations.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 13 2009, 06:44 PM
Post #9

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

Mm, that's a good point. Yes, if you're using SR3 rules to run the timeline and world-type (Wireless Matrix with decking rules, for example) it could be worthwhile; I was assuming that the world would be a direct offshoot of the SR3 world if you were using those rules.

~J

+Quote Post
BookWyrm
post Nov 13 2009, 07:16 PM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 2,607

I am SO picking up this book when I get a chance.

+Quote Post
Moirdryd
post Nov 14 2009, 02:20 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

We're still firmly in the 2060's at the moment (infact just started a new campaign in 2062). But I like to get as many basic cross references as I can for regular setting features as it helps me refine my instinct for what should be around in, say Renton, when the Runner's head that way without me having to flip back and forth and look at all the neighborhoods, security ratings, notable facts, predominant style of the region and so on.

+Quote Post
LurkerOutThere
post Nov 14 2009, 03:58 AM
Post #12

Runner

Member No.: 17,234

Moirdryd within that context I think you will still be more then satisfied with Seattle 2072 especially if you don't own any of the other seattle setting books.

+Quote Post
Megu
post Nov 15 2009, 10:35 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,268

QUOTE (Nightfalke @ Nov 13 2009, 10:02 AM) *
So, in your opinion, it's worth the money?

Because, honestly, that was the hold up for me getting it. I mean, full color is pretty and all, but I found the other books (Arsenal, Unwired etc) were just fine in B&W.

This. I'm way more interested in bendable softcovers that I can haul around and that cost less, than I am in a pretty-pretty book. But my players aren't in Seattle anyways, so I'm not too worked up one way or another. That said, there is a sizeable crowd of people still using Seattle rather than any of the new sprawls detailed in 4e, so I think if I was one of those people I'd indeed be pretty excited.

+Quote Post
Nexushound
post Nov 16 2009, 12:10 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,861

Oi Chums,

IMO this book would be good for any campaign that is set in Seattle. Regardless of the year it still has a lot of the old locales and all of our favorite players, Yaks, Mafia, Triads and Gangs. The reference pages in the back of the book are an awesome tool for building a Google Earth data base which we use, displayed on a big screen, extensively in our games. I am a fan of good, hard bound, game books. That includes a lot of criteria. Art, fiction, organization and usable game content and I think this one is a real winner. Good for any campaign regardless of your time frame. Definitly worth the money. Again good job Catalyst.

It is nice to hear others opinions about the book as well. Thanks all. Keep me posted on how Seattle 2072 has helped and how it has let you down in gaming sessions to come!!

+Quote Post
Nightfalke
post Nov 16 2009, 02:26 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,823

Well. I just broke down and bought Seattle 2072. Absolutely beautiful book, and a lot of great info, well laid out.

It's still hard for me to justify the $45 I spent on it at my LGS, but I bought it, so I'll have to deal with it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I expect to spend $45-50 on a 300 page core book, not a 200 page splat book...

So yeah...If you've got the spare cash, and you want to know more about Seattle. Buy it.

+Quote Post
Weaver95
post Nov 16 2009, 02:29 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,687

I have to admit, I like this book. My *only* regret is that there isn't any sort of removable/fold out map of the city and/or it's surrounding areas. But that is a minor quibble in an otherwise very well produced product.

+Quote Post
TeOdio
post Nov 16 2009, 03:36 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,937

I'm might be in the minority here, but I haven't done Seattle since my first campaign in 1992. Did Detroit for two editions before starting Hong Kong in 4th. I love Hong Kong as a setting and my players have really got into it. I might get Seattle 2072 if it's as awesome as you say just for running Ghost Cartels. I would love to see the same treatment for Hong Kong.

+Quote Post
Megu
post Nov 16 2009, 05:47 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,268

QUOTE (TeOdio @ Nov 15 2009, 09:36 PM) *
I'm might be in the minority here, but I haven't done Seattle since my first campaign in 1992. Did Detroit for two editions before starting Hong Kong in 4th. I love Hong Kong as a setting and my players have really got into it. I might get Seattle 2072 if it's as awesome as you say just for running Ghost Cartels. I would love to see the same treatment for Hong Kong.

Detroit, eh? I'd think that'd be quite odd. One of the few places in Shadowrun that might actually be in better shape than in real life.

+Quote Post
Moirdryd
post Nov 16 2009, 11:49 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Dont forget that Detroit has a Corp owned one man cyber zombie police force. Codenamed RoboCop!!. (Sorry, been watching the movies last night)

+Quote Post
Fuchs
post Nov 17 2009, 07:59 AM
Post #20

Dragon

Member No.: 8,014

I received the book today. Looks good - though I still haven't gotten my SR 4A book.

+Quote Post
Wesley Street
post Nov 17 2009, 05:50 PM
Post #21

Shooting Target

Member No.: 15,686

Mine should be arriving today. I look forward to replacing my Seattle Sourcebook as that poor thing is in tatters. I will miss the photo adverts though... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

+Quote Post
BlueMax
post Nov 17 2009, 05:57 PM
Post #22

Running Target

Member No.: 15,708

I was going to wait on buying this book. Both of the Shadowrun Campaigns I was involved in have been retired.

Then the guy at the gamestore told me to "just look threw it". WoW! The art is amazing. There are two things in the art that sold me the book.

1. Seahawks hat. It may be the future but people will still be fanatics.
2. The fine red eyed lady used as an example in the ordering system.

BlueMax

+Quote Post
Malachi
post Nov 17 2009, 07:08 PM
Post #23

Running Target

Member No.: 12,350

QUOTE (Wesley Street @ Nov 17 2009, 11:50 AM) *
Mine should be arriving today. I look forward to replacing my Seattle Sourcebook as that poor thing is in tatters. I will miss the photo adverts though... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

No, I will not miss the chick holding the water pistol with the "WTH is that" hat....

+Quote Post
BlueMax
post Nov 17 2009, 07:13 PM
Post #24

Running Target

Member No.: 15,708

QUOTE (Malachi @ Nov 17 2009, 11:08 AM) *
No, I will not miss the chick holding the water pistol with the "WTH is that" hat....

(with a tone that conveys humor)
Why must you hate the 80's?

BlueMax

+Quote Post
Malachi
post Nov 17 2009, 10:37 PM
Post #25

Running Target

Member No.: 12,350

QUOTE (BlueMax @ Nov 17 2009, 01:13 PM) *
(with a tone that conveys humor)
Why must you hate the 80's?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
The decade existed to produce music that is great to listen to, but not to look at the people as they played it.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:02 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.